“The Ambar was our piece of paradise for 1 week”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #51 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Spent 1 week at Ambar from April 19-April 26 with my spouse. This was our first trip to Punta Cana so we did extensive research on where to stay. We picked the Ambar for a few reasons, adults only, five star and the nice beach. We were absulutly happy with our choice once we got there. The Ambar did not dissapoint in any area, truly a five star. Check in was a breeze as we were met at front of lobby by Christian and checked in having a drink on the patio. We were there at 12 noon so our room wasn't ready, that was ok as we packed our suits and were in the ocean by 1pm. Once in the room we were very impressed with the large room, clean and large bathroom. Try to book an end room as they are larger than the rest of the rooms. Food was good with lots of variety, we ate at the snack buffet, regular buffet and had 4 a la carte meals. All were good with service being excellent. We were very impressed with the snack buffet at the end of the pool where you could get a wide variey of food in a relaxed atmosphere. We recommend the Don Pauplo restauant as a a la carte and a must is to order the banana flambe as dessert-it is quite a show, however you must ask for this as its not on the menu. The beach was all i had hoped for, very quiet and relaxing however i did have to wake by 5am to reserve my favorite front row beach location. It wasn't too bad as it was an amazing sun rise. The looby and outdoor patio were truly amazing, it was a great meeting spot before and after dinner. We didn't do any excursions as lying on the beach reading and relaxing were what we were there for. I would absulatly reccomend this resort to any. I have read reviews of people having items taken from there room and safe, all i can say is we had jewelry out in our room and nothing was touched as well nothing went out from the safe. Overall a great spot .

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank star016
Write a ReviewReviews (10,573)

Reviewed May 2, 2010

Lets start off with that i am extremlty picky when it comes to traveing and where i will be staying. Gran Bahia Principe Ambar is one of the best hotels i have evrer stayed in. Let me tell you they have the best staff ever, extremly nice, friendly and careing, the rooms are always clean. The food is amazing. Always quiet and exactly what you signed up for. I have not one complaint about this resort, i had an amzing time with my spouse. Please do give tip everyoone tries so hard to make the guest happy. From the room to the restuarants and etc.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kisa03
Reviewed April 30, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Ambar for our honeymoon Sep 6-11 2009. We were very impressed with the hotel itself. The place is perfectly manicured. The rooms are great. We were VERY impressed with the staff. Everyone is very polite and seems so happy to wait on you. Neither my husband or I speak any Spanish, but we were able to communicate with everyone fine. A couple of times we would sit down for dinner, and a spanish-only speaking waiter would begin to take our order only to find that we couldn't speak spanish. He would leave and return with another waiter that could speak english. The language barrier was our only concern going to the Dominican, and it was not a problem at all. We loved the ocean and our excursions. Room service was amazing. I would have given the resort 100% 5 star rating except that my husband got food poisoning on one of the last nights. However, I am about 95% sure that he got the food poisoning on one of the excursions. He literally was vomiting for 12 hours straight. After a whole sleepless night, I finally had to call the doctor at the hospital to come to our room. He was there within a half hour. He gave him some kind of injection and electrolytes, and he was literally better within 45 minutes. But since we had both been up all night, and it was now 12 noon, we slept the rest of the afternoon. We both had an amazing time and it would have been the perfect honeymoon without that one mishap. But it is something you might want to consider. I think the excursion was the Outback Safari?? And it was amazing. We had a blast. It was one of the best days of our trip. Just watch what you eat, because Brian (my husband) definitley paid for it afterwards. Poor thing.
And one more FYI- I forgot to bring my hair conditioner, and they do not supply it at the resort. I had to pay like $12 for Sauve conditioner.
If you choose this resort you will have a GREAT time, just watch what you eat!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beth_ZeppVA
Reviewed April 30, 2010

My husband and I went to the Gran Bahia Principe Ambar with a small group for our son's wedding. The rooms were excellently maintained as were the gardens. The staff works extremely hard to ensure cleanliness as well as beauty. The food was edible, if you are a picky eater the best bet would be the Buffet they had a great selection and it changed daily. I would have to say my favorite would have been the egg station at the breakfast buffet they make the best omelet! The beach was clean but extremely busy. The pool was nice and a great place to cool off. As for the drinks they were very weak and you could ask for the same drink several times and get it differently prepared every time. I would like to advise that you keep a very very close eye on ALL personal items. I am aware I was at fault for leaving my items out in a bag in my room for a very short period of time only to have my cell phone and camera removed from the room. Notified security that did a full search of the room to no avail. After an internal investigation nothing was found, but I didn't expect it to be. The odd thing was the security asked several times for my phone charger, which I had left at home. After talking with some travel agents in the area we were told that in all probability it was security doing the stealing....one travel agent who spoke the language heard the security keeping close tabs on the hotel guests where abouts and time approximately away from room. As always just be vigilant about keeping all items in your safe at all times. I am sure if you enjoy large resorts and thousands of other guests you will find the Gran Bahia Principe an enjoyable warm clean place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ArnieandVal
Reviewed April 28, 2010

My wife and i stayed with two other couples from april 17-24 .Check in was very smooth,took about 5 mins. We were greeted with smiling dancing girls and a cocktail. We were given an envelope with room key and a map . The bellhop grabbed all our luggage and told us to keep our carry on bag. Got to the room (66209)and he showed us how to set the a.c. and how to work the safe. Very nice corner room with large balcony.

The pool and beach were awesome!! We did not play the towel game as we were there for the sun . Besides we are on vacation so we refused to wake up before 9am !! It only rained one day so the rest of the time we could roast in the sun !!

The service in every aspect was great . Made a freind in Luther the towel dude.

We went shopping at the main entertainment square. Bartering with the venders was a trip. They make you feel good and let you think your getting a super deal. They type in a starting price on a calculator and pass it to you, then you make an offer . If you get the price down to half your paying too much. Still it was pretty cool.

Hit the disco at night and danced our butts off. Then one night we paid $110 per couple to go off the resort to "Club Imagine" the bar inside a cave. This price includes the ride there and back plus drinks. You can use this membership for the whole week if you like. Now the bar was very cool BUT it was only one drink at a time and it took me 20 mins. to get a drink. Did that about 3 times as our freind had to get out of there because she got a headache from the exhaust fumes in the bar !!! So unless you like techno with the same beat the entire night and very strong exhaust fumes have at it !! But i cannot recommend this bar. This was the only hicup the entire trip.

The grounds were amazing with beautiful scenery. Seen little lizards everywhere and if your lucky you will see some parrots.

Thank you to all the staff for the amazing service they gave to us and treated us like royalty, we will be back. Looking forward to seeing you all again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2010

My wife and I decided on a last minute trip to Punta Cana. As we have travelled all over the globe, but this being our first trip to The Dominican we didn't know what to expect in comparison to other resort places.

I must admit we were pleasantly surprised, everything from the staff at check-in to check-out, everyone was so friendly and always willing to help.

The food was alright, not the best we have had, yet not the worst either. The room was very roomy, and clean. After the first day we did notice that they had not replenished our fridge to the way it was when we arrived, so we left a tip in the fridge the next day and to our amazement, it was replenished for the rest of the week :).

We only had 1 issue, which we don't know 100% if it was a resort related issue or airport related, however we have read many other reviews with the same complaint. My wife had kept all of our jewelry (wedding rings, Tiffany bracelet etc... in the in-room safe in the original boxes, except for when we would go out for dinner, even on the last night we were there, she wore them. The day we left, she emptied the safe and her jewelry "boxes" into our bags, when arriving home to find that the boxes were there but empty. So we assume the cleaning staff is able to get into the in-room safe without resetting your code, so be VERY careful leaving valuables in there assuming they are safe, as they are not.

Other than that experience, the rest of our trip was fantastic, from the weather, to the resort, to the people. Great experience.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew P
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We stayed here with our friends and could never ask for anything more. The food and the service was beyond our expectations. Everyone was very happy all the time so how can you not have a good time. Pools were great and the beach amazing. We will be back here to vacation again. Rooms were very clean all the time. Grounds were amazing and all the staff was ther best.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends