“Gran Bahia Principe Ambar absolutely awesome again...”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #51 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed July 14, 2009

My apologies as this review is really late and it is a long review.

We were a party of 4 that travelled to the Gran Bahia Principe Ambar in beautiful Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. This was our second visit to this lovely resort (first visit was April 2008).

DEPARTURE: Off we went to Lester B. Pearson Airport in Toronto on April 16, 2009 at 1:30 p.m. for our Air Transat flight to Punta Cana. The Air Transat personnel were checking in people when we arrived that apparently were sitting in economy (a party of 8) in the “priority boarding” line, so we had to wait longer than we normally do (hubby was a little annoyed, as were another couple behind us). Reason I am mentioning this is that is supposed to be one of the perks of booking Club Class, priority check-in. Once we were on board the flight, it was lovely as usual. The choice of food, wine, beer, etc. is well worth the money that you pay for the little extras. The flight crew were nothing short of amazing round trip, another “Best Crew” award to Air Transat. You can be sure we will always book Club Class seats again whenever we travel. As a rule we always use Nolitours or Transat Holidays for our vacation. Woooo hoooo, on our way to Punta Cana for 14 days of much deserved R&R.

ARRIVAL IN PUNTA CANA: Arrival at Punta Cana International Airport was perfect and immigration was quick and efficient. We arrived on time, went through immigration with no problems and picked up the luggage, which, I might add, was the first off the flight (part of the Club Class extras).

TRANSPORTATION TO RESORT: We booked private transportation through IBK Servicios (we had booked them last year) and our driver was there waiting for us with the sign with our name on it. Once we loaded up the van with our luggage, we were off to the Ambar. Wonderful and courteous driver, would highly recommend this company.

CHECK-IN: We arrived at the Punta Cana lobby at approximately 9:10 p.m. We were then shuttled over to the Ambar section. Check-in was a breeze as we were the only ones there as we had arrived ahead of the tour bus to the resort. We were put in Villa 60 (see below). Staff at check-in had a bit of an attitude (and if any of them are reading this, never speak Spanish in front of people, as you never know what languages they speak), but we asked to deal with the manager the next day and it was perfect.

ROOMS: We given a room in Villa 60 and it had an extremely bad smell of mildew...we spent one night in the room and then spoke to the Manager and he arranged another room for us. Don’t get me wrong, I like the smell of the south, and as a rule it doesn’t bother me at all, but this was so bad that we couldn’t breathe the next morning. We were both stuffed up. We changed rooms around 1:30 p.m. the next day and then we unpacked and settled in (Room 60105). The rooms are large with a very nice sitting area (the corner rooms are much larger as that is what we had last year). We had a king size bed and a beautiful view of the pool. Couldn’t see the ocean very well as we were on the first floor, would have preferred second or third, but that was fine with us as we don’t spend much time in the room anyway. The beds were not as comfortable as I remember from last year, but it was o.k. We felt it was the perfect location to the pool, pool bar and beach. It was less than a 5 minute walk to the Ambar lobby and the buffet. They have two beach buffets, tried both and preferred the Las Brisas vs. the Las Olas. We ordered two types of speciality pillows and decided to keep the ones originally given to us in the room. We also had turn down service most nights and chocolates left on our pillows and fresh towels left. Our butler service was fantastic and they did everything they possibly could for us (we had 2 butlers).

GETTING AROUND THE RESORT: I do not understand what people are complaining about, the trams are everywhere and they run every few minutes. Beware of the tram you get on though, it may not be going to the lobby you want, but it is only a few minutes’ walk to the other lobby. Most of the time we just walked from the Ambar as it was not that far to the Bavaro/Punta Cana lobbies. The trams are wonderful and always stop along the way to drop off/pick up guests. We never had a problem with them. I truly cannot believe people complain about the tram system at the Bahia and obviously a 2-3 minute wait is too long for them.

CLEANING OF ROOMS: During our stay the maid did a fabulous job. We only had 2 days of towel art which I found unusual as the Bahia in Mexico does it on a daily basis, but it was no big deal. Our maid was a warm and wonderful person. As for the others in our traveling party, they reported that their chambermaid was excellent as well. We left US $2-3 per day, plus little gifts I had brought from home. It was all so appreciated.

BARS AND SERVICE: Well what can we say, the bars were great, but service was a little inconsistent at the main bar (note: a very small complaint) and I do realize that the Ambar is still a relatively new section and the kinks have to be ironed out. Sometimes we just got up and went to the bar to get our own drink, no big deal. The pool and beach bars were very good with the service. The owner was in a few times and service picked up that day and night, but service was still a little inconsistent after that (only at the Ambar main bar). We had no problem with the pool bar filling our 20 oz. insulated mugs.

WEATHER: The weather was absolutely perfect, 14 days of solid sunshine. Most days it was a bit windy, but a welcome relief from the heat. If it wasn’t for the wind, it no doubt would have been too hot to handle. A few days it was pretty muggy, but we just jumped in the water (beach or pool) to cool off.

BEACH/WATER: WOW, again what an awesome beach, I can never get enough of it. You can walk for miles and the best thing was that you don’t have to wear water shoes (unlike the Bahia in Mexico). I would compare Bavaro beach to that of Negril in Jamaica. There is the sunken ship (Astron) that seems to be deteriorating more every year. The water was, however, a little chilly getting in, but once you were in, it was lovely! Love those warm and cool currents.

AMBAR POOL: Now here is where I found this to be a little crazy. While we were walking to the beach to see the sun rise and secure our palapa and loungers (approx. 6:00 a.m. and, as I always say, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em), people were actually sitting underneath a palapa waiting to secure their palapa(s) at the pool for the day. They were not allowed to leave the lounges until around 7:50ish. Security the first day was very strict with this rule, but after a few days, the rules relaxed and people would just drop their towels, books, etc. and go back to bed. The days we were at the pool, we were down there at 6:00 most mornings and was getting a little ticked that we sat there and waited (as did others as well), and watched people come down, drop their stuff and go back to bed. Security said that if someone complained, he would have to remove their things and then give the palapa to the person complaining. Apparently it did happen a couple of times where security removed things from underneath a palapa because people were not sitting on the chairs and when the people came back (about 4 hours later) fireworks happened. They were told about the rules, but they still continued to drop and run. Some people are pretty unbelievable.

PUNTA CANA/BAVARO POOLS: We took a walk to the pool on the Bavaro and Punta Cana side and it was extremely busy with children and parents (happy screaming children I might add). It was extremely loud so we hurried back over to the quiet Ambar side. We all agree that we love the Ambar side. The first week we were there, it was extremely quiet at the pool, but the second week, they started to implement water aerobics, ice/fruit carving, dance lessons, etc. I think the pool area needs to be a bit livelier so it was nice to hear some music.

RESERVATION SYSTEM FOR BOOKING ALA CARTES: We had pre-booked from Canada. When we got there we wound up with 25 ala carte reservations…actually it was pretty ridiculous as we kept getting more reservation tickets under our door. So one morning we sat there with Public Relations and got it all sorted out. We felt it wasn’t fair that we had all these reservations as people were being turned away from certain ala cartes because they were booked, so hence us sorting it all out.

FOOD
Ambar Buffet: In a word…AWESOME! Again, I do not know what people are complaining about. The food was always fresh and there was always something for everyone. The Prosciutto (Italian smoked ham) was amazing at breakfast and lunch, I had that most days. The salads were always fresh, the OJ in the morning was the best, eggs, bacon, etc., everything was wonderful. The made to order stations were excellent. At lunch and dinner they had strip loin steaks, beef tenderloin, shrimp, calamari, etc. We ate at the Ambar buffet the first week for lunch and then the beach bar the second week. The Las Brisas beach buffet had amazing chicken, salads, french fries, etc. at lunch and then we would go up to the Ambar buffet for dinner.

ALA CARTES
Don Pablo: I have to stay the service was perfecto at this ala carte. The food, however, was not our favourite. Both my girlfriend and I ordered shrimp soup and it was more like fish soup, nothing shrimpy tasting about it. Our hubbys had salad. The lobster, well, it was overcooked and while tasty, not big enough. The steak was very tender, but the bacon around it should have been cooked a lot more (actually I don’t think it was cooked at all!).

Garden Grill: We had the steaks and they were excellent. Ours were a little well done (we asked for medium, should have asked for medium rare), but very good nonetheless. Service was amazing here as were the soups and salads.
Japanese: We ate here once. Presentation was excellent and the food was good. Service again was wonderful.

El Olivo: This was excellent as far as I was concerned regarding food and service.
Portofino: Would NOT recommend this one. Service was absolutely horrible as was the food. My girlfriend and I ordered lasagna and I have never tasted anything so salty in our lives. It was terrible, as were the other meals our hubbys ordered. Our salad plates were not removed when the main meal came and after we had finished the main meal, the dishes just sat on our table. We left without having dessert or coffee.
This is just my own opinion folks on the ala cartes. Personally, I found the ala cartes to be far more superior at the Bahia in Mexico.

SHOPPING: We were there to relax on the beach and around the pool and that’s exactly what we did for 14 days, go for a walk on the beach, go for a swim, etc. We did however, go to Caribbean Street and the market at the end of the beach, they had some nice things, but most of it was all the same. We preferred Caribbean Street as they had quite a few artisan shops which were excellent. We shopped at the Pueblo quite a bit and the prices were pretty good. Of course, we also shopped at Harrison’s at the Pueblo.

DEPARTURE
Always makes me very sad when leaving the any beautiful country, but as my hubby says, there is always next year. Since our flight was leaving at 5:50 p.m., we didn’t arrange for a late check-out. We had our showers and we waited in the Ambar lobby for a while, had a drink and then went up to the Punta Cana lobby. We decided that we were going to arrange for private transportation for our return trip. Best decision, gave us a few more minutes at the resort...well, at least until our hubbies decided that we were to leave the hotel around 1:00 just in case of traffic, so in their wisdom, we were on our way back to Punta Cana International and it took approximately 37 minutes. We arrived at the airport and the Air Transat booths were NOT open. Needless to say it was a very long wait at the airport. You can be sure we will never listen to our hubbies again, will remind them of the 4 hour wait at the Punta Cana airport. The flight to Toronto left on time and we were on our way back home. Club Class on the way home was just as good as the way down. Definitely a more relaxed way to travel.

NEGATIVES
If I had to dig real deep (besides the service being a little inconsistent), was that the food wasn’t as hot (temperature) in the ala cartes as we would like, just a personal preference.

COMPARISON BETWEEN THE BAHIA MEXICO AND THE BAHIA PUNTA CANA
(Please note that we have been to the Bahia in Mexico quite a few times (and we always travel 2 weeks each time), so hence the comparison)

Beach: Punta Cana hands down – no comparison
Food: Punta Cana buffet was much better (the Ambar side only) while the ala cartes are far much better in Mexico
Service: It’s a toss up
Rooms: Punta Cana hands down (Ambar side)
Customer Service: Punta Cana and Mexico both have excellent customer service
Spa: Punta Cana has a better set up, but both Spas are amazing
Bars: Mexico has much faster service (and more choice for premium drinks without charge) and more staff on hand
Entertainment: Mexico
Shopping: Mexico hands down, only because Playa del Carmen has so many shops and things to see and do, whereas Punta Cana, doesn’t really have as much

So having said all that, would we go back to the Ambar…yes, in a heartbeat! It truly is a beautiful resort and the people of the Dominican Republic are warm and wonderful.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
11  Thank crane05

Reviewed July 13, 2009

The service was amazing and specially the restaurants. The beach was ok since in Punta Cana all beaches are basically the same. Rooms were very clean and fridges were always full. We tried the others hotels within the Bahia Principe resorts but there was no comparison. The Ambar offes you the top notch services you expect from a 5 stars hotel. Will definetly go again for sure!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tinjis
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We were due to stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro as we do one/twice each year for 2 weeks on the 27th june. We got to the hotel and laura (the lady who got us from the airport) told us that we had been upgraded to the Ambar!! Happy days, so we get over there half expecting it to be a mistake, but no we were shown to our room (62205) which was lovely. 4 poster beds, flat screen telly and a lovely big bathroom. The air-conditioning was a life saver it worked really well.
The pool is lovely- big, clean, sun loungers are great. Pool bar staff are really fun, look out for Carlos who was juggling bottles wrapped in cling film (after a few accidents haha), and Jose his sidekick. Also a great place to get chatting to people, its where we met our Canadian friends Rachelle and Rob (hi guys) and had a great time.
The beach is also beautiful the ambar has their own bit which has plenty of palapas but its quite a few metres from the ocean so its harder to get a palapa at the front.
The food was absolutley amazing. Don Pablo was fantastic the chef special Chateaubrian was the best piece of meat i have ever tasted. The italian was also beautiful as was the mediterranian. The selection at the buffet was huge but we only ate there twice as the a la cartes were just too good to miss.
We did 2 excursions- the Outback Safari which was great as usual, and Tropical storm sunset which wasnt great for me. Its good if you are a strong swimmer and snorkeller- im not, and its advertised as a booze cruise and personally i thought they held back a bit. Their 'floating bar' was a bucket of ice with a few beers inside. Enough said.
The waitresses at the lobby bar were lovely, friendly and really fast getting you drinks, we make friends with absolutley everyone every time and this time was no exception and we were gutted to have to leave. I would go back in a heartbeat and i would highly recommend it to anyone. I always go to the Bavaro side, and i would rate this higher just because of little touches- nothing massive its just everything is more refined. Cant wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dani_and_Paul
Reviewed July 9, 2009

My husband and I vacationed here in May 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Gran Bahia Principe Ambar.
Beach - beautiful clear and warm water, white sand - what else can I say?! There were a couple of days where the water had lots of seagrass floating around, but that was primarily because of stormy weather. There are plenty of beach chairs/loungers, although the palapas closest to the shoreline do go quickly. By the time we made it out to the beach in the morning, at 9:30 or so, there were still palapas available, but closer to the hotel grounds. There are many other lounge chairs under palm trees that can provide plenty of shade.
Room - very clean. Cleaning staff came by two or three times a day for cleaning and turn-down service. The rainhead in the shower is a nice touch! Safe is included in the Ambar section - we kept valuables in here and never had a problem with theft, even if we left money out.
Staff - overall was very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and ensure we enjoyed ourselves. We did run into one or two disgruntled employees, but everyone has bad days here or there. To say that the staff and service was poor because of one or two people is an unfair generalization. We sometimes did not receive coffee we ordered with our breakfast but really, who cares - we were on vacation!
Food - plentiful and delicious! The restaurants and buffets offered lots of variety. The grilled lamb chops at the buffet were the best I've ever tasted! Presentation was also great.
I would and have recommended this all-inclusive resort to family and friends without hesitation. Also, please keep in mind that a 5* rating cannot be compared to a 5* by North American standards. Having said that, it is a wonderful resort, with beautiful, well-maintained grounds. The staff try very hard to accommodate all your needs.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank angoogie
Reviewed July 9, 2009

we stayed at Ambar from July3-7. We arrived at the hotel at 2:30 after taking a taxi from the airport. I would definately recommend the taxi-it costs $38 and you get to the hotel in about 25 minutes. The receptionists were very pleasant. They told us our room wasn't quite ready so we had lunch at the Palmyra Buffet and looked around the grounds. Two hours later and after some fussing, they put us in room 60206. Building 60 is the best building at the resort. you are close to the ocean and have views of the pool. The outside restaurant is right at your doorstep. The room was nice, although the AC didn't seem to be doing a great job of cooling. The room service was unpredictable. I believe the best way to explain the problem is that there was an extreme lack of attention to detail. One day you wouldn't get all of your towels, the next day you wouldnt get your bottled water, the next day, no soap. It's that lack of detail that I think makes this less than a five star experience. We only had one major problem and it was ridiculous. While eating dinner at Don Pablo's restaurant, which is the nicest restaurant at Ambar, I asked for the pumpkin soup and the artichoke salad because I wanted to try them both. The server, Joaquin, was extremely rude and firmly told me no, that I was only allowed to have one of them. I explained that I wanted to try both. He continued to refuse until I asked to speak with a manager. Now mind you this is an all inclusive resort!!! Ramon, the manager came over and told me that he would ask the chef if it was possible. Then he and Joaquin went to the back of the restaurant and laughed like school boys at the situation. it was extremely unprofessional and unnecessary. The next day, I tried to speak with a resort manager and was told they were in a meeting until 10:30AM. I went back at 11:15 and they had gone into another meeting. The receptionist told me to write it down. We were checking out and I did not have time to write about the experience. Again, another reason this is not a five star resort. The best food can be found at the buffet-not the restaurants. Most of the people working at the resort were very kind and helpful. We went to relax so we did not go to the other side of the resort often. We saw the Michael Jackson impersonator at Bavarro and that was fun. We only did one excursion and that was the snorkling with sharks and stingrays. It was half a day and fun, although a bit expensive at $178 for two people. We walked down the beach to the little shopping market-which is quite a hike, but fun! Be prepared for the hard sell. At this market there is a little outdoor bar where you can get a water or a beer and sit and rest. We did not have any trouble getting umbrellas on the beach or chairs at the pool. There were many open seats everyday. We went to the gym everyday. There are free weights. bikes and two treadmills. The lobby bar is the best bar and the only place to get the premium liquor. Overall, a nice and relaxing stay. I do not think we would return when there are so many nice reorts in DR.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank celmo46
Reviewed July 2, 2009

The grounds were impeccable, the rooms (jacuzzi tub included) were fantastic, the beach is beautiful (as always in Punta Cana), the resort has a lot to offer in the way of food selection and drinks - although the lobby bar closed way too early (11pm). The resort was so clean and the people were very attentive and helpful. The only thing that made this resort a '24 Hours All-Inclusive' was the small sports bar which was just outside the lobby area. That was a little disappointing. The people were friendly, although the maid service lacked cleanliness and they were not overly thorough. We had to make our own bed on a couple occasions, too. Made me feel like I was at home again that's for sure! We are generous tippers, but it didn't seem to help much. The Entertainment Team - Annoying and pushy!

One thing that you must do when you arrive at the Ambar is attend your orientation session. This is the ONLY resort in Punta Cana that does not have a shuttle bus that will pick you up and take you to the airport when your vacation is over. You will have to take the resort train over to the sister resort and be picked up there. This was not mentioned in our orientation for some odd reason so we ended up having to take a taxi which cost us $70US. The taxi drivers permit and license had expired which we didn't notice until after we were well on our way. If you take a taxi in the Dominican be sure to look for this before hiring the driver. We were taken on a detour though a dirt road in the middle of nowhere to get gas, he also stopped on the side of the busy road and made a deal with a local which we can only assume was for drugs. Eventually we made it to the airport - over 1 hour later!

Either way I would recommend the resort, but not the taxi service.

Enjoy your vaca!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TorontoOne
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Ambar. It was exceptionally clean and well attended. The staff were friendly and very accommodating. Our trip went without any trouble, we booked an Apple vacation through Pan World travel and every detail was taken care of. The food was excellent and we enjoyed the variety. Our beach experience was wonderful. We spent our mornings on the beach under the palpas (which were plentiful) and our afternoons lounging in the whirlpool in the pool. It was very relaxing and we would surely go there again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple