“One of the best hotels ever!”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #49 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed July 13, 2009

The service was amazing and specially the restaurants. The beach was ok since in Punta Cana all beaches are basically the same. Rooms were very clean and fridges were always full. We tried the others hotels within the Bahia Principe resorts but there was no comparison. The Ambar offes you the top notch services you expect from a 5 stars hotel. Will definetly go again for sure!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tinjis

Reviewed July 13, 2009

We were due to stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro as we do one/twice each year for 2 weeks on the 27th june. We got to the hotel and laura (the lady who got us from the airport) told us that we had been upgraded to the Ambar!! Happy days, so we get over there half expecting it to be a mistake, but no we were shown to our room (62205) which was lovely. 4 poster beds, flat screen telly and a lovely big bathroom. The air-conditioning was a life saver it worked really well.
The pool is lovely- big, clean, sun loungers are great. Pool bar staff are really fun, look out for Carlos who was juggling bottles wrapped in cling film (after a few accidents haha), and Jose his sidekick. Also a great place to get chatting to people, its where we met our Canadian friends Rachelle and Rob (hi guys) and had a great time.
The beach is also beautiful the ambar has their own bit which has plenty of palapas but its quite a few metres from the ocean so its harder to get a palapa at the front.
The food was absolutley amazing. Don Pablo was fantastic the chef special Chateaubrian was the best piece of meat i have ever tasted. The italian was also beautiful as was the mediterranian. The selection at the buffet was huge but we only ate there twice as the a la cartes were just too good to miss.
We did 2 excursions- the Outback Safari which was great as usual, and Tropical storm sunset which wasnt great for me. Its good if you are a strong swimmer and snorkeller- im not, and its advertised as a booze cruise and personally i thought they held back a bit. Their 'floating bar' was a bucket of ice with a few beers inside. Enough said.
The waitresses at the lobby bar were lovely, friendly and really fast getting you drinks, we make friends with absolutley everyone every time and this time was no exception and we were gutted to have to leave. I would go back in a heartbeat and i would highly recommend it to anyone. I always go to the Bavaro side, and i would rate this higher just because of little touches- nothing massive its just everything is more refined. Cant wait to go back!!!!

5  Thank Dani_and_Paul
Reviewed July 9, 2009

My husband and I vacationed here in May 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Gran Bahia Principe Ambar.
Beach - beautiful clear and warm water, white sand - what else can I say?! There were a couple of days where the water had lots of seagrass floating around, but that was primarily because of stormy weather. There are plenty of beach chairs/loungers, although the palapas closest to the shoreline do go quickly. By the time we made it out to the beach in the morning, at 9:30 or so, there were still palapas available, but closer to the hotel grounds. There are many other lounge chairs under palm trees that can provide plenty of shade.
Room - very clean. Cleaning staff came by two or three times a day for cleaning and turn-down service. The rainhead in the shower is a nice touch! Safe is included in the Ambar section - we kept valuables in here and never had a problem with theft, even if we left money out.
Staff - overall was very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and ensure we enjoyed ourselves. We did run into one or two disgruntled employees, but everyone has bad days here or there. To say that the staff and service was poor because of one or two people is an unfair generalization. We sometimes did not receive coffee we ordered with our breakfast but really, who cares - we were on vacation!
Food - plentiful and delicious! The restaurants and buffets offered lots of variety. The grilled lamb chops at the buffet were the best I've ever tasted! Presentation was also great.
I would and have recommended this all-inclusive resort to family and friends without hesitation. Also, please keep in mind that a 5* rating cannot be compared to a 5* by North American standards. Having said that, it is a wonderful resort, with beautiful, well-maintained grounds. The staff try very hard to accommodate all your needs.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank angoogie
Reviewed July 9, 2009

we stayed at Ambar from July3-7. We arrived at the hotel at 2:30 after taking a taxi from the airport. I would definately recommend the taxi-it costs $38 and you get to the hotel in about 25 minutes. The receptionists were very pleasant. They told us our room wasn't quite ready so we had lunch at the Palmyra Buffet and looked around the grounds. Two hours later and after some fussing, they put us in room 60206. Building 60 is the best building at the resort. you are close to the ocean and have views of the pool. The outside restaurant is right at your doorstep. The room was nice, although the AC didn't seem to be doing a great job of cooling. The room service was unpredictable. I believe the best way to explain the problem is that there was an extreme lack of attention to detail. One day you wouldn't get all of your towels, the next day you wouldnt get your bottled water, the next day, no soap. It's that lack of detail that I think makes this less than a five star experience. We only had one major problem and it was ridiculous. While eating dinner at Don Pablo's restaurant, which is the nicest restaurant at Ambar, I asked for the pumpkin soup and the artichoke salad because I wanted to try them both. The server, Joaquin, was extremely rude and firmly told me no, that I was only allowed to have one of them. I explained that I wanted to try both. He continued to refuse until I asked to speak with a manager. Now mind you this is an all inclusive resort!!! Ramon, the manager came over and told me that he would ask the chef if it was possible. Then he and Joaquin went to the back of the restaurant and laughed like school boys at the situation. it was extremely unprofessional and unnecessary. The next day, I tried to speak with a resort manager and was told they were in a meeting until 10:30AM. I went back at 11:15 and they had gone into another meeting. The receptionist told me to write it down. We were checking out and I did not have time to write about the experience. Again, another reason this is not a five star resort. The best food can be found at the buffet-not the restaurants. Most of the people working at the resort were very kind and helpful. We went to relax so we did not go to the other side of the resort often. We saw the Michael Jackson impersonator at Bavarro and that was fun. We only did one excursion and that was the snorkling with sharks and stingrays. It was half a day and fun, although a bit expensive at $178 for two people. We walked down the beach to the little shopping market-which is quite a hike, but fun! Be prepared for the hard sell. At this market there is a little outdoor bar where you can get a water or a beer and sit and rest. We did not have any trouble getting umbrellas on the beach or chairs at the pool. There were many open seats everyday. We went to the gym everyday. There are free weights. bikes and two treadmills. The lobby bar is the best bar and the only place to get the premium liquor. Overall, a nice and relaxing stay. I do not think we would return when there are so many nice reorts in DR.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank celmo46
Reviewed July 2, 2009

The grounds were impeccable, the rooms (jacuzzi tub included) were fantastic, the beach is beautiful (as always in Punta Cana), the resort has a lot to offer in the way of food selection and drinks - although the lobby bar closed way too early (11pm). The resort was so clean and the people were very attentive and helpful. The only thing that made this resort a '24 Hours All-Inclusive' was the small sports bar which was just outside the lobby area. That was a little disappointing. The people were friendly, although the maid service lacked cleanliness and they were not overly thorough. We had to make our own bed on a couple occasions, too. Made me feel like I was at home again that's for sure! We are generous tippers, but it didn't seem to help much. The Entertainment Team - Annoying and pushy!

One thing that you must do when you arrive at the Ambar is attend your orientation session. This is the ONLY resort in Punta Cana that does not have a shuttle bus that will pick you up and take you to the airport when your vacation is over. You will have to take the resort train over to the sister resort and be picked up there. This was not mentioned in our orientation for some odd reason so we ended up having to take a taxi which cost us $70US. The taxi drivers permit and license had expired which we didn't notice until after we were well on our way. If you take a taxi in the Dominican be sure to look for this before hiring the driver. We were taken on a detour though a dirt road in the middle of nowhere to get gas, he also stopped on the side of the busy road and made a deal with a local which we can only assume was for drugs. Eventually we made it to the airport - over 1 hour later!

Either way I would recommend the resort, but not the taxi service.

Enjoy your vaca!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TorontoOne
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Ambar. It was exceptionally clean and well attended. The staff were friendly and very accommodating. Our trip went without any trouble, we booked an Apple vacation through Pan World travel and every detail was taken care of. The food was excellent and we enjoyed the variety. Our beach experience was wonderful. We spent our mornings on the beach under the palpas (which were plentiful) and our afternoons lounging in the whirlpool in the pool. It was very relaxing and we would surely go there again.

4  Thank mira0609
Reviewed June 30, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Ambar from June 15-21st. We are in our later 20s.

First of all I would like to say those who have posted bad reviews for this resort are probably not happy with anything anywhere. Bottom line is there are going to be not so perfect things in a not so perfect world.

This resort was absolutely beautiful and my husband and I had such a great time. The Ambar section is very peaceful and we did nothing but relax at the beach and sometimes the pool. The beach was white sand and the water was perfect. We could always find shade under a palm tree if there was not a palapa available. We could have played the chair game, but hey we were down there to get some sun, not hide under a palapa!! Like I said our section was very quiet, but if we wanted to liven things up we would go to the other sections for entertainment. We really enjoyed the nightly shows.

The people were very friendly down there and become quick friends when you engage them in conversation. We tipped always for everything, but we did that to show our thanks for the great service. Never did we feel like we had to tip to get good service.

The food was excellent. Keep in mind that you are in another country so the foods are NOT going to taste the same as where you are from. There was a massive selection of food on the buffets and the 3 al acarte restaurants we ate at had excellent food. I don't think I have eaten a better beef fillet than at the Garden Grille. The service was excellent to. They were always smiling and kept your wine and water glass full!!

The room was huge. The bathroom was really nice. The vanity was very large. The toilet was in it's own area with a door, large shower and a separate jacuzzi tub. We had a king size bed and it did sag a little in the middle, but that is small potatoes. The sitting room with small dining table was great to have as was the mini bar. Now I am going to address some of the complaints I have read. The mini bar wasn't stocked that day. Yes that happened once or twice, but all you do is call and let them know. They are at your door in less than a half hour to fill it. The toilet seat was broken. Yes the toilet seat was broken beause the seats are not the right size for the toilets. Once again you call the front desk and that is fixed by the time you get back to the room. The complainers also forget to mention the fact that you get a phone call at least once a day to your room asking how our room is, whether the mini bar was stocked and if there was anything that we require. It doesn't get better than that. Our maid was a sweetie. What a happy lady she was.

There was no confusion when we got to the resort or when we left. Everything was right on time and we had no issues getting to and from the airport. Although we did get a little car sick from the curvy, bumpy roads.

I think I touched on everything I thought was important. I could go into a lot more detail mind you. We have been on 2 trips to Mexico. I am not saying that the Dominican is any better than Mexico, because we really liked them equally, but I think this was the best vacation we have taken so far.

We did a tour with PC Mike. Highly recommended

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Now Garden Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!