Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #50 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed August 6, 2014

This resort was everything promised. The food was great and plentiful, the drinks were terrific, and the staff was so helpful. Being adults only also meant plenty of opportunities to relax. We followed the advice of other travelers and brought a large cup for the bar to prevent making so many trips. It was a great idea! You can use a float in the pool, so I recommend bringing one along. You couldn't ask for more beautiful views!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Leigh V
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear Leigh,

It is delightful to know that this Resort was everything it promised and to read that our staff had provided the natural warm and hospitality that characterize us the Dominican people.

We are enchanted to know that you love this wonderful place.

Greetings from the Dominican Republic,

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I was very nervous before I got to the Luxury Bahia because of the slightly mixed reviews. Thankfully we had an enjoyable experience but at the same time - for the price and the fact that it is all inclusive I wasn't expecting it to be the best of the best 5 star luxury hotel.

Good: Beach was beautiful, I loved the little cabanas and made sure I had towels on chairs before 8am - I always chose a spot under a palm tree so we could get shade, awesome bar right on beach and waiters walking around all day. We did not need a big cup at all - it was very easy and to get a drink. We didn't wind up using the pool at all - we went in once but thats it. We enjoyed the food very much - Even though I tried to make reservations the first day, don pablo was booked. I liked the buffet - I ate paella, roasted chicken and grilled veggies every day. It was very fresh.The only restaurant I didn't like was the Italian but I knew it wasn't going to be that good, just wanted a change of scenery and it had available reservations.

BAD: We booked the king suite and wound up with a standard double. The front desk told me I was supposed to confirm with Expedia before I got to the hotel so they would hold a king room. That got me VERY mad because I travel a lot and do not like being taken advantage of. They didn't offer us anything for having to stay in the wrong room but they did put us in the poolside suite the next day. The standard room did smell very musty but the king room didn't. I opened the lotion they provided and there was water in the tube. One day we came back from the beach - I had the hotel key and and a couple other things in my beach bag pocket. They were gone and I know I didn't drop them - later on a waiter told us he could get us a reservation at don pablo and he needed our room number - we said no thanks.coincidence? i have no idea.

The bad things to me were minor, I would stay here again - but I don't feel like this is the only place i would stay in Punta Cana.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PuraVidaEva

Dear client,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I sincerely appreciate your feedback. It is good to know that you find some positives to mention such as the beautiful beach and the good and fresh food at the buffet.

Please rest assured that your observations have been shared to the General Manager of our Resort to analyze the points you mentioned.

It is wonderful that despite some minor issues you would return to this nice place to experience once again the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Three night stay at the Amber July 20-23rd. Three nights was just not enough, four would be the minimum I would recommend. We ended up getting an extra night in Punta Cana due to a canceled flight. See my review of the Westin. What a bummer, I know! :) All the reviews about how fabulous this resort is are right on target. Transfers from the airport to the hotel took approx. 30 minutes. Just say NO to the porters at the airport who want to take your luggage 10 feet for a tip. Check-in is at 3:00. We arrived at 1:00 and our room was not ready. We ate lunch in the buffet and by 3:00 our room was available.

It was very hot the day we arrived and even though when you first walk into the dining rooms/hotel room they feel air conditioned, after a while you realize it is very warm in the room. Always keep a key in your room a/c slot so it is not so hot when you come back into the room.

We requested building 64 10 days prior to our stay via email and our wish was granted. This has to be the best building. We wanted a corner room, but did not get one. The corner rooms are bigger, but our room was still very spacious. Right outside our door was the pool and then the beach. Can’t get much better than that! There are no elevators, so if steps are not an issue also request a 2nd or 3rd floor room and you possibly will get a small ocean view. Room was spacious with two double beds and a sofa that was made into a bed. While the sofa was not as comfy as the bed, it was not a problem to sleep on. We were a party of three friends so we each took a turn on the sofa. Nice big bathroom.

I am a very picky eater but found the food and the selection of food to be excellent. Definitely go to Don Pablo and make your reservations 10 days prior via email. It was the best filet mignon I have ever tasted. There was a greeter at the door of each of the buffets with hand sanitizer. Great for us germ-a-fobs. The buffets were always clean and I am a freak about buffets and them being dirty. While we enjoyed eating at Portofino, the lasagna was just not what an American would think of as lasagna. Although good, it was basically hamburger. We ate lunch at the buffet restaurant to the right of the pool. This is not an Ambar exclusive buffet. My advice if you are doing the lunch/pool buffet to stick with the Ambar side. You get the hand sanitizer pumped into your hand, a hostess will seat you, there is a larger selection of food and you have nice tableware. We joked we were slumming it by having to serve our non-alcholic drinks ourselves in (gasp) plastic cups! We just didn’t feel the food selection was as plentiful as it was at the Ambar pool buffet.

You do have to play the towel game as a lot of the spaces are taken by 8:00 am. Even back many rows I could not believe how amazing the view is. There is some seaweed, but it is an ocean.
The grounds are well manicured and I don’t believe we saw trash anywhere.

The Ambar itself is a small resort, however the Bahia Principe grounds consist of five resorts. There is a tram that runs, but we always found it to be full. It was however a short walk anywhere you want to go and this was not an issue for us. If you have issues with walking, this may not be the best place to stay. The entertainment is located in a central location to all the resorts and is for all Bahia guests.

The men and women of the resort do work hard. If you can afford a vacation like this you should be able to tip a few bucks. I know it feels as if you are tipping constantly, but in the end it wasn’t really that much. What I like about the all-inclusive is I end up going home with no credit card debt which is awesome.

The Ambar was a bit on the quite side which we liked. (no kids) If you want more daytime action maybe one of the other Bahia resorts would be better. As an Ambar guest, you can go to the other locations as well, but we preferred to just stay where we were.

Some of the shops seem to be operated by locals who can be very pushy and in some cases downright rude! We did have a bad experience with a vendor which was a shame. Would avoid in the future. Also do not forget your sun tan lotion. One bottle will set you back $22-30 Usd.

We would absolutely visit this resort again!

Room Tip: Building 64 was the perfect location right by the pool and then the beach. Corner rooms are larger.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank disneybonvoyage

Dear Guest,

As you mention on your review, the especial details in our services is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and inspire us to continue striving towards excellence.

It is wonderful to read that you found the food was excellent, and you loved the Don Pablo Restaurant.

It is a pleasure for us that you would return to this Resort once again!!!

Many hugs,

Reviewed August 5, 2014

2 weeks at the luxury Bahia Principe Ambar. Rooms were clean and well decorated. Beds are confortable. Closet a bit small. Would of appreciated more wall hangers (like behing doors) to hang your bathing suits, or beach cover ups etc..... There were two in the bathroom for towels. So a lot of my stuff ended haging on the chairs of the balcony.

Bathroom amenities are not up to par. BRING YOUR OWN SUPPLY. I mean it. Room maintenance was great however minibar service was never consistant. A couple of days had nothing replenished in our stock and some days we had very little even if we left a tip in the fridge. We also had some trouble with restaurant reservations. Make sure the the concierge reserves your restaurant of choice that you really want to go to. Maybe a language issue? They made a mistake twice.

Dining hostess`, dining staff, food, concierge desk were all fantastic. Beach and bar staff were excellent. Try the outside beach grill. Absolutely wonderful. Once again, the staff is amazing and the food was quite to my expectations. You cannot go without dining at the Don Pablo. You wont be sorry;-)

Animation seemed good but I'm not a good evaluator as I didn't participate much.

If you intend to go to the spa and have a massage, stay in the spa as it is really nice and inviting as apposed to the outside massage tables by the beach. They are too close to the pool area and animation will distract you from a nice relaxing massage. The massage tables should be closer to the beach but they are not so beware.

We were there for two weeks, July 19th through the 02 august. There were a lot of algae (seaweed) coming to the shores. It was unpleasant swiming through algae but apprently this is not common and it's nature ;-))))

Beware of sticky fingers. Even though it didn't happen to us personally, our friends and travel partners had missing clothes. It's unfortunate. It does damper a vacation when your things go missing.

All and all, I recommend this property with the outmost enthousiam. You will enjoy it. Like I said it's so close to be a perfect 5 star BUT NOT QUITE ;-)

Room Tip: Building 60 or 67 are the closest to the beach and pool area. Corner rooms have ocean and pool view...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Demoiselle1958

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed 2 weeks at our Resort thanks to our rich gastronomy, as well as the amazing service from the staff. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience.

Thank you for recommending us with such enthusiasm.

You are welcome to contact us for your next visit to organize another excellent vacation.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Bahia Prinncipe Bavaro Resort

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My girlfriend and I loved staying at this resort in Punta Cana. The food & drinks were great, the resort itself had all the amenities we needed, and the staff were very helpful. The employees of the resort seemed to appreciate my futile attempts to speak Spanish, and were kind and helpful. In terms of experiencing the world and culture outside of the resort, there aren't a whole lot of options--for that, it seems like you'll have to travel 2.5 hours by car to Santo Domingo, and it doesn't appear to be the safest city if you're not with a tour group. However, the beach was beautiful and we had a wonderful time.

Summary- Go if you're looking for relaxation, not if you're looking to get a real taste of Dominican culture. The resort was wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Connor W

Dear Connor,

We are very pleased to read that you loved your experience in the Dominican Republic with all the amenities you needed and the helpfulness of the staff.

You are welcome to contact us for your next visit, in order to prepare all the details to provide you another nice stay at our wonderful Resort.

Greetings from paradise,

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Let me start by saying that this resort is beautiful, one of the nicest I've ever stayed at. The rooms are very nicely appointed, the beach is spectacular, pool is amazing. It is part of a much larger resort but you feel like you're in a bourtique property. Very sophisticated and stylish. From a property standpoint this resort hits all of the right notes to make it a 5 star. The exception is the service or should I say indifference from the staff. Also the food was not very good, althought this is the first and only time we've been to the DR (we usually fo to Mexico) so perhaps the food was good for the area. I could have lived with the food if the service had been more attentive. Literally every staff member or Manager we came in contact with throughout the stay was completely indifferent to us. No greetings when you pass or offers to provide us with anything but the bare minimum required. On our last night we ate at the buffet and there was a survey being conducted, we received a comment card from a third party survey company when we sat down and during the meal staff members told us that if we did not score them well they would lose there jobs. Even a senior Manager tried to pursuade us to give them top marks. I work in the hotel industry and I was comepletely appalled at this behavior. The bottom line is if you want beautiful surroundings at a high end resort and don't care about service you will be satisified at this property but if you like to to interact with friendly and attentive staff book elsewhere. We've never been back to the DR beacuse sadly this expereince just left us feeling dissappointed. We have much better expereinces in Mexico.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AmberT902

Dear Amber,

I appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments and we are grateful that you highlight the beauty of the Resort, spectacular beach and amazing pool.

I would like to apologize for the bad perception you have about our staff and their service.

Please allow us to inform you that your point of view has quite surprised us, since it is not usual that we receive those kinds of remarks from our clients, but on the contrary, we usually receive excellent feedback about their friendliness, attentiveness, and hospitality that characterize us as Dominican people. It is a shame that you left disappointed with this.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 5, 2014

This resort was beautiful. A little quiet for our group, but we were at the Adults only area. 16 friends and family enjoyed an entire week at this lovely resort. We were warned not to drink the water but a few brushed their teeth with it and did get ill. The girls working around the pool bar were fantastic, and deserve kudos and tips for their hard work. I was a bit disappointed with the lack of drinks and food at the beach area, but a short walk won't hurt anyone. If you're looking for things to do around the pool, you probably shouldn't stay here. All in all, a great time, but probably wouldn't go to the adults only property again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Debbie0901

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for highlighting this beautiful Resort and the hard work of the staff. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience. I sincerely appreciate all feedback.

I would like to invite you once again to this paradise and be able to provide you a better experience.

Warm greetings,