“We would go back ....”

Ranked #50 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Orland Park, Illinois
“We would go back ....”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Our first Caribbean vacation and we'd definitely go back. Temp was mid 80's, sunshine, breezes, beautiful beach, beautiful palm trees and foliage. This was a lovely, relaxing vacation. Here are some of our highlights/comments.
Before our vacation, we had read a comment that if we purchase a $20 cash Tourist Card at the airport, we would experience a quicker trip through the lines and through customs. It didn't seem like we had the option NOT to purchase this card. Everyone was shuffled to a desk to make this purchase and no one line or area seemed to move any quicker. Not sure what this was all about.
Our VIP Service rep was awesome. She guided us through the maze of people and other travel reps and made sure we boarded the correct bus to the resort. Our bus dropped us off at the main hotel and then we were transported via tram to our hotel. There were plenty of men always making sure we were going to the correct location. These guys work hard.
CHECK-IN TIP -- bring a printed copy of your reservation confirmation. They would NOT accept an email at check-in. To accomplish printing at the resort, you must wait for an available Guest Services rep. This wait could be lengthy because guest services handles everything for everyone. This part was annoying, frustrating and time-consuming.
Room -- Email your room request 2 weeks before your arrival. We were in bldg 67, facing the "jungle," 3rd floor, closer to the pool. This was a great location: close to the pool (not a rowdy pool atmosphere) for daytime but quiet at night. Beautiful walk to the lobby area for the buffet. We requested a king-size bed but had 2 queen? beds. The room was clean and a very nice size. The bathroom was a nice size, too. Lighting in the room and especially bathroom was very dim. One night, we got a 10PM knock-on-the-door-open-the-door turn-down service. We were sound asleep so this scared the "you know what" out of us. Guest Services told us turn-down service can occur from 6-11PM. After that, we asked for turn-down no later than 7PM.
Food -- There was plenty of food for many different "tastes" at the buffets. We had reservations at Don Pablo and El Olivio. My husband ordered filet mignon at Don Pablo that he said was very tough, "the worst filet I've ever had." El Olivio had the best service, very friendly staff and good food. Overall, the food was very good.
Pool -- loved! loved! Loved the pool! Bring plenty of high number sunscreen. We usually use SPF15 but we should've started with SPF30 for a couple of days. We went to the pool for 4 mornings and never had a problem getting loungers. We had read negative comments regarding holding/reserving loungers -- we did this every morning (because we preferred a particular area) and no one ever said anything to us about doing this. No matter what time of the day, there were always plenty of available loungers at the pool. The swim-up bar was great. Aerobics and zumba in the pool were fun. The beach area, however, was a different story. The loungers along the water were either held/reserved very early in the morning (at sunrise or earlier) or could they possibly have been held the night before?? The beach area had plenty of loungers and huts for shade but that area filled up early and quickly. The beach was clean, the sand was like sugar and the water was warm, clean and pretty clear. Loved our beach walks. Lots of people on the beach but never felt crowded or congested.
The Ambar is a well-manicured and beautifully landscaped resort. Very lush. We didn't really notice any bugs. One evening around 6 or 6:30PM, a fumigation truck emitting a huge billow of smoke (insecticide, we presume) drove directly down the main and side walkways. This did not smell good and could not have been good for us. This should be done at a different time when fewer people are around.
Allow plenty of time for airport processing -- there are lots of people and the lines are long.

Room Tip: Buildings 60, 64 and 67 are closest to the pool.
7 Thank Debbie P
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Debbie,

It is a pleasure to hear that this was a lovely and relaxing vacation at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection and this first experience was so good that you would repeat it. We appreciate that you have highlighted our amazing pool.

We also hope to see you in the near future for second time and continue providing you memorable vacations.

All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,718)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Berwick, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This place is perfect! I was nervous because some reviews seemed bad, but I now realize that those people must not like most places they visit. Our stay was perfect from start to finish. The food and drinks are delicious, fresh, and served with a smile. I recommend spending the extra few dollars to stay at the Ambar if everyone going is over 18. Going from there to parts of the resort with children is a wake up call after being so relaxed. All of the grounds are maintained beautifully but there is just a more mellow mood at the adults only.
There were no bugs, just some cats that live on the resort and they were very sweet. I am already planning our next visit and telling everyone we know that they have to stay here. No need to leave the resort as there is plenty to do from shopping to scuba diving! Enjoy and don't hesitate booking, it is well worth it!

• Stayed March 2014
9 Thank Rossitej
Dear client,

It is a pleasure to read that you had a perfect honeymoon and you definitely come back to our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar. We feel very good because you qualify us as a perfect place and this trip well worth.

Your honeymoon in Punta Cana with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts!

Kindest regards,

Bragg Creek, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This was our first trip to this resort, but our sixth visit to the Mayan Riviera. We visited the Sian Ka’an adult’s only resort from March 1 first to March 8 of 2014. This having been the opportunity to attend our second adults only locale, and three different resort locations over the past several years, I can offer suggestions on the differences, likes and dislikes.

The Bahia Principe is a huge resort with the Sian Ka’an built on the West side of the highway. We were fortunate as our room was located away from the entertainment and main entry, room number 1721, but with a comfortable walk to pools, buffet and transportation services. Our third-floor room was spacious and modern looking. We appreciated the balcony sitting area and hot tub. Two small problems with the room occurred during our visit. Initially the hot tub jets did not work, and there was one major air-conditioning failure for our building. Both challenges were reported and repaired promptly.

While there is a reliable transportation system on site, we enjoyed the opportunity to walk from the Sian Ka’an to the beach and other internal resort areas located on the premises. The walk is safe and easily traveled, taking about 20 minutes using the highway overpass. Approaching senior’s age, but in good health, we experienced no problems navigating the vast property. A caution to those who may be less mobile may offer challenges.

As a guest of the Sian Ka’an, you have the opportunity to reserve as many gourmet restaurants times as are available. There are no restrictions as may be experienced with the other resorts located on the property. That said, we found the Alux Gourmet Restaurant to be our absolute favorite, visiting that location twice. The exquisite meals, superb service and attention to detail make this a first reservation choice for many customers. The Maiko restaurant was also most enjoyable and our second choice for service, taste and selection. We found the buffet at the Sian Ka’an for breakfast, lunch and supper to be most delightful with a varied selection that all should enjoy. Some seafood choices available, but no lobster offered. Other gourmet restaurants options available to us, included the Frutos del Mar Seafood and Mediterráneo Restaurant. Sadly, I must comment they were major disappointments. I cannot personally offer suggestions for other reserve-able restaurant choices, but I am sure other patron’s comments are available.

Wine choices for the gourmet restaurants and buffet we attended were entry level, unless you upgraded to their purchase wine list, starting at $17.00 U.S. and up. Other options included your choice of mixed alcoholic beverages and cerveza at no additional charge.

Close to the beach, we found the lunch buffet at the Akumal to be tasty and varied. Opening only at 12:30, with a lineup of hungry guests waiting to enter, we found the time frame a bit tardy for most. The snack bars found through out the resorts offered pizza, hamburgers, wraps and quick food options to temporarily satisfy a growling stomach. A few more healthy options were available as well.

We occasionally enjoy a glass of wine, beer or mixed beverage in the room, however the in-room mini bar is minimal and restricted compared to other all-inclusive resorts we have visited. Two beer, a few canned and bottled soft drinks, water, chips and 3 liquor mini bottles options, none of which were our taste, were available to us. If a consideration for any other quantity or choice was requested, that was deemed an additional charge, quite disappointing. That said, no problems if we wished a night-cap at the bar at the Sian Ka’an, wonderful service and choice.

Wi-Fi internet, sadly not stellar in speed or availability at some locations on the resort as Wi-Fi was occasionally used to connect with our family back home. As a guest of the Sian Ka’an, our internet privileges allowed a 24 hours connection before we had to renew. That occurred each day, whether we used minutes or longer, we had to continue to sign on to their network. The system is a pain and slowwwwwww, almost backwards using a current iPhone. My experience at the Coba, Premier, Ackumel, etc allowed one hour of use daily. Of course, you could purchase their Premium speed service ?? for $50.00 U.S. a week or a daily charged upgrade fee if so inclined.

The few times we used the reserved beach location for the Sian Ka’an, guests, we had no problem finding chairs. Our A.M. start was usually early and the location was staffed to monitor the rules were adhered to regarding holding chairs if not occupied. We preferred a beach front more to the south of the property where the fish were more plentiful for snorkeling and less rocky.

A small consideration worth mentioning, while the grounds are well maintained and distinct with their own beauty, we missed the beautiful flowers and colours experienced at other resorts. On the plus side, the lovely sounds from the bird population were a symphony and audible sensation.

Checkout time at 12:00 offered a learning experience. At 11:30, we called to have our luggage transferred from our room to the lobby area until our 14:30 departure to the airport. I was asked and answered that we were checking out. The porter who transported the luggage was also aware of the status. As we prepared to enter the bus for departure, to our surprise a checkout ticket was demanded before boarding. As time was now at a premium, a quick rush to the front desk to follow with the unknown procedure was meet with frustration by the Sian Ka’an employee administrator asking us why we did not checkout before this? While waiting in line, a friendly porter came to our aid explaining the situation in Spanish to the front desk attendant, who processed our departure pass in time for our 90 minute bus ride.

As per our Best Day advisor, tipping is included in the cost of the vacation package. We were pleased to offer gratuities to all staff who made our vacation enjoyable.

If the price point was reasonable for accommodations and service offered, we would gladly revisit this huge property. That said, there are many other options available that require investigation.

Room Tip: Away from the entertainment area, towards the back of the loop offers a quieter experience. There is...
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Second visit since 2009. The resort is well kept and safe. Rooms were kept clean and well stocked. Customer service is rated due to an incident on March 9. My husband slipped on the men's washroom mat. Was unconscious for about a minute. Saw Dr Luis who was great. Went to the hospital via ambulance. All was fine, eventually. Returned to the Ambar later that evening. Not once did anyone ask how he was until I witnessed another fall the vey next day. Requested a meeting with management to discuss what is going to be done so that no others will fall and spoil their vacations as was ours. Initially nothing had changed but after two additional falls a longer mat replaced the original short mat. After my request for a meeting to express our concerns and frustrations with customer service Fernando one of the guest services managers called us several times to see how my husband was feeling. He also offered a couples massage which my husband did not want but I decided to accept a single massage. This was a complimentary gesture. I was given a coupon which I submitted upon arrival to the spa. Now the fun begins. When I tried to check out Saturday am at 6 am Ronaldo (think that was his name) told me I had a Spa charge. I explained the situation to him that it was a complimentary massage. He told me I had to come back at 7 am because I had NO proof. I asked him to explain my situation to the 7 am manager so that I didn't have to repeat myself. He said he would. Then when I came back Ronaldo was long gone and the saga continued. New customer service rep. She said I had no proof. I told her to call Fernando. She wouldn't said he wasn't working that day. I would not pay but without paying they would not let us checkout therefore no drive to the Bavaro etc. finally the tall assistant GM arrived. He was not helpful at all. Then another manager arrived who was with Fernando the evening Fernando offered the spa massage and who had spoken with us after the fall, arrived. He remembered the comp spa offer. Told the customer service rep to let us check out. We paid our share of charges and were on our way. Why did it have to come to this upsetting scenario. This situation has "jaded" my view of returning. I will not return to a resort that I cannot feel support from customer service who should be "my voice" in time of need. In addition other patients at the Bavaro hospitals had reps from their respective hotels with them?? Advocating on their behalf. Seriously with such a beautiful place customer service needs to step it up before they let things slide and this becomes a less than desireable vacation spot.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maryPuntaCana
Dear Mary,

Whenever our special clients feel they are not receiving the treatment they are entitled to, we try to make our best effort to change that perception and regain their trust.

I wish that you accept my apologies for this inconvenient that does not reflect our daily operation. We are sorry to see that you were disappointed in this second visit with us. You can be sure that we will never cease our efforts to comply with our guests’ needs and expectations.

Kind regards,

Franklinville, New Jersey
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We had a beautiful week at Ambar, Rooms were great, staff was very accommodating
Pool was clean an not crowded at all , loved the pool bar. The beach you had to get up at the crack of dawn to put your towel out if you wanted to have a chase at the beach.. but once your there relaxing it was the best, they came and also took drink orders!
Buffet was great every day, specialty restaurants you need reservations and men need pants, so I was told, but I saw otherwise, the Don Pablo and the Greek/Mediterranean were great, but the Portifino I was so disappointing, the appetizers and soups were great but the dinner was so bad! iT SURELY WAS NOT ITALIAN!
We had couples massages, the best ever! Highly recommend.
I wish they had more entertainment at night, only in the lobby and getting a sit there if you came in later was very hard to do..
I suggest more entertainment around the pool! We were suppose to have a bonfire one night on the beach and that didn't happen?
but all in all, I would differently come back and recommend the Ambar to everyone.

Room Tip: we were in the villas in between the pool and the lobby....it was the best of both worlds, we were o...
4 Thank Lisa G
Dear Lisa,

We are glad you mention you passed a beautiful week in our well-kept premises Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar. Thank you for your comments of your stay at our hotel and for recommending us as well as the massages. We sincerely appreciate all feedback and your suggestions are taken in high consideration.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My wife and I traveled to Dom. Rep May 2009 and stayed at this all inclusive resort and was very excited with all of the service, food, and the wonderful beaches. We loved the music and we even decided to do a photo shoot on the beach...Awesome Times at Bahia Principe..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear client,

It is wonderful to know that you encountered this is a lovely place with friendly people, good food and wonderful beach.

Please feel welcome to contact us in the future in order to prepare all the details for another awesome time at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

It's my first time in the Dominican but my 3rd Bahia.
This place is great. You can ferl the management is here making sure things are as good as they can be.
Nothing is perfect in life but we're here on VACATION so why freak out About the smallest details when the big picture is absolutelly amazing,
Food is good, beach is excellent, room amazing. The staff is doing itd best. I like to run and there's a great little path for runners about 3 miles long or you can run on the beach.

On another note, i'm writting this ON THE BEACH on the hotel wifi for which i paid 40$ for the whole week and it works everywhere. Amazing!
Some people would like it to be free... But really, what's 40$ when you paid 1500$ to be here,
Enjoy yourself. This is a great place to chill and relax.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mbernier1974
Dear client,

We are very satisfying reading this review and see that you are a happy vacationer in your first time in DR but third in this chain. Thank you for your comments and for highlighting the absolutely amazing things we offer to our special clients.

It will be a pleasure to cater you once again and thank you for qualified us as a place to chill and relax!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#43 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!