“Overall good experience”

Ranked #48 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Overall good experience”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed in the hotel week of January 11th. I have booked this particular hotel for only adult restriction which was 99% followed except on the beach where three times not far from me family with small and nosy kid(s) have settled ( I am not referring to kids playing in the ocean). Not sure why no one form hotel personnel have taken any action.....While I was not bothered by the noise, I was bothered by the the principle behind it. Adults only means adults only.
Hotel:
Hotel and staff is nice. Beach is well taking care of and not over crowded in Ambar. A very pleasant place to be and enjoy sunshine. Pool large enough so you never feel cramped. Beach/pool restaurant was our daily place for a lunch. Again, perfect experience each and very time.
Public washrooms in the resort ( lobby, pool, beach, gym) show signs of well maintenance , clean and smell good ( they are burning incense throughout the day).
Gym in Ambar and main Grand Bahia hotel lobby is a joke. Too small, very little ( almost none) equipment and absolutely too many people wishing to excessive however not able to find space or machine. Within 7 days stay I have 4 times visited both gyms between 6 and 8pm. Three times I managed to stay for 35-40 minutes and last time I have walked away due to lack of room. Hotel lobby very inviting, specious, coffee and pastry served everyday and easy to find a table and chair at any time of the day or evening.
Food:
Food was good and restaurant staff nice and professional with the exception of one young waiter in Don Pablo who seem to have an chip on his shoulder. Highly recommend a la crate restaurants in Ambar. We went once to Garden Grill for steak however food and level of service not comparable to Ambar restaurants.
Now the negative:
Overall our stay was perfect....only if wouldn't be for our last day.
Our transport to the airport was not until 6.30 pm hence I have asked lobby clerk if after checking out at noon we can keep the beach towels till our departure at 6pm. Very helpfull clerk Joahana had no issue whatsoever. Much appreciated service and assistance.
Morning of our last day we went to the pool to enjoy some sunshine for hour before breakfast. Upon our return at 11 am while book and tee-shirt still left on our lounge chairs, both beach towels were missing. We have asked beach towel attendant for replacement however instead have been directed to the lobby to seek assistance from customer care representative.
After waiting 25 minutes for one of the reps and having the opportunity to explain our dilemma, supervisor was called to tell us that since we "lost our towels" the hotel can only provide replacement after we pay. We had to correct her ( the supervisor) several times that towels were not lost but stolen. We have also offer hotel staff to inspect our already packed luggages for the missing towels..........since we have been kind of accused of theft.
My husband being professionally employed in customer service industry was really taken back by the way the supervisor lady handled herself, her attitude and verbiage she used. After much unpleasant, highly lengthy & unnecessary conversation she called her manager and we have been told to go back to the pool towel attendant and pick up two towels. What is most puzzling for me to understand is that hotel management does excellent job in making sure all guests receive superior service and such setback over a matter of two used towels. Why???

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank 4TR
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate this detailed feedback which helps us identify and address areas for improvement. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Best regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,682)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

This

This place is beautiful! Very luxurious,well maintained property,that will surely satisfy your need to spend a week in the sun. We loved it.

Room: we stayed at the Ambar section to benefit from the adults only environment since we don't travel with children. Money well spent! The beach area reserved for this section was much less busy and a little more private. The rooms are very large and they have everything you could need(couch,private patio,small in room dining area,jet bathtub,separate shower,safe and plenty of storage space). The rooms closest to the main lobby at Ambar would be the loudest since they have loud music every night as entertainment. As far as ocean view rooms I don't think any are close enough to offer a real view.

Food: We love food! Unfortunately the food at this resort was under par in our opinion. We ate at most of the a-la-cartes and were disappointed most times. The buffets offer a large selection, but again, nothing spectacular. The good thing about the Bahia is there are many restaurants to choose from(not satisfied at the a-la-carte go to a buffet and have diner there:) Unlike in Mexico the dining was not the highlight of this trip.

Property location: The Bahia has a beautiful spot on the Bavaro beach. It's central to most hotels and offers wonderful walks in both directions. In about 30 min walking east you can reach a unique beach side market with plenty of shopping. Lots of souvenirs here! The shop owners are a little pushy but willing to negotiate on their prices and always offer smiles and high-fives to their Canadian friends.

Unlike some of the other hotels the Bahia has its own free airport shuttle and will take about 30 minutes once it leaves the airport. It can take a while before the airport transfer bus fills up and paying for a taxi would be a great alternative if you want to start your vacation a little quicker. Paying for your own taxi would also mean that you get to the hotel before the bus load of people and are able to check in before anyone.

The Dominican people are very friendly and offered great service the entire time we were there. The most popular language here is Spanish but its easy to find English and French speaking folks anywhere you go in the Dominican Republic. Smiles and small tips go a long way here and anywhere I'm sure:) Enjoy!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank wannatraveller
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience. It is an honor to read that overall you had a pleasant stay here with us.

We hope to cater you in Punta Cana and continue demonstrating you our commitment to excellence.

Best regards,

North Vancouver
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

If you don't at least like this resort then you really are spoiled rotten.
The service at this resort is excellent and the staff are friendly and make sure you are enjoying your stay there.

My wife and I stayed at the Ambar from January 10th thru the 24th.
Checking in was smooth. The young lady at the reception was very polite and made us feel very welcome.
I had sent room and a la carte requests via email. I requested a third floor corner suite near the pool ( a difficult request) and got a third floor middle suite near the pool. Not bad at all. I was given an envelope that had our a la carte requests and there were tickets for all 8 of them inside.

The room was spotless and quite spacious. There was only one problem here. The toilet didn't work the first morning. One call to the desk and someone was there in five minutes an the problem was taken care of.
There were a couple of days when the mini bar wasn't fully restocked but to us, it wasn't a big deal.
Other than that, it was all perfectly fine.
The food at the buffet was great. We have been to a lot of AI resorts and I have to say the food at the Ambar buffet is first rate. The a la carte restaurants were first rate as well. We didn't have a bad meal for the entire trip.
We loved the pool and the beach but...
Everyone there had the same complaint about the towel game. You snooze, you lose. I played it once and it was the only time we got a good spot by the pool. After that, I decided not to bother with it and take what I could get. Some days were worse than others. There were days when it was difficult to get a decent spot at the pool or the beach. The resort has a policy in place regarding reserving spaces before 9:00 am. That would be fine if it was enforced but it clearly is not. I didn't see one security guard enforce the rule. All they did was put placards on the chairs and nothing more. I understand the difficult position the hotel is in here but either enforce the rules or add more chairs or add another pool or perhaps restrict the area to Ambar guests only and not allow guests from the Esmerelda to use the Ambar section.
I have to say that is a tough situation for the resort but we didn't let it spoil our holiday. We made the best of it. If we couldn't get a decent spot we went exploring.
My only other gripe is pettiness of the wifi policy. It doesn't go well with a resort this good. Please change this Don Pablo.
The grounds and buildings of this resort are absolutely beautiful. For my wife and I, this is our third stay at a Bahia Principe resort and they are the best maintained resorts I have ever seen. We have been to other resort chains and the Bahia's maintain a very high standard.
In conclusion, would we recommend the Ambar for couples seeking an adults only resort in Punta Cana? Absolutely, go there and have a great vacation.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank leftytelecaster
Dear Guest,

Please be assured that it is fabulous to read that you enjoyed an excellent stay here with us at the Luxery Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection.We hope that this was one of best vacation you have ever had. It is an honor to know that you recommend us to everybody.

Looking forward to seeing you anytime soon at all-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Regards from the Dominican Republic,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed at this hotel over Christmas and New Year. The hotel and grounds were immaculately kept and spotlessly clean. The room we had was spacious and very comfortable, the only thing was our room was near the lobby and could be a little noisy at times. Next time we would ask for a quieter room.

The service in bar and restaurants was exceptional, we have not had better service anywhere. The staff were all very friendly and could not do enough to help you. We never had to wait to be served in either the restaurants or bar.

We booked this hotel because it was adults only and on arrival were a little disappointed to find it was part of a large complex and had we known this we would probably have not chosen this hotel. However, in the end it did not bother us as we stayed within the Ambar hotel grounds and we could have missed this gem of a hotel.

Our only criticism is that there were not enough sunbeds in the shade and would have liked more umbrellas around the pool area.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday here and it exceeded our expectations. We will definitely return to this hotel again in the future. Excelente!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lobby area as this can be a little noisy
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jechick264
Dear Guest,

We feel very proud to know that you recognized our professional customer service. It is an honor and a great compliment to forward such wonderful comments towards our staff.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel and we hope to see you soon for another stay here with us.

Greetings from our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar! All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Warmest regards

Campbellford, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We just returned home from the Ambar last evening and I must say that this was the first time that I was really upset to come home. This resort has it all; top-notch customer service, beautiful décor and gardens, immaculately clean rooms, amazing food and the best section of beach at the Gran Bahia complex.

This was our second vacation to this resort, having stayed at the Premier section in 2011 and from the moment we stepped off the tram and entered the lobby for check-in, we felt like royalty! Emmanuel greeted us immediately and sat us down at a lobby table. We received drinks while he retrieved our welcome package with the coveted (apparently) dark brown wrist bands. Our room was not ready as we were early afternoon arrivals but when we returned at 3pm, Emmanuel personally went to our room to check on it's cleanliness/readiness and then escorted us there himself. We were given a gorgeous third floor corner room (65308) and it was huge and beautiful.

I also want to point out, as others have commented negatively on them, every time I had an encounter with the front desk staff, they were exceptional and friendly and I encountered no language-barrier issues. Even when I witnessed rudeness towards them from another guest, they were extremely patient, friendly and sincerely worked to rectify an issue that, in my opinion, wasn't even an issue. So, kudos to all of them!!

We had friends who stayed in the Esmeralda section so as we bounced back and forth between the two resorts for the week. Because of this, we were able to make a very good comparison between the 2 resorts in case other travellers cannot decide between the two. We found the following:

-BEACH: at the Ambar it's FAR superior. Palapas and loungers seem to be spaced more apart and we didn't feel like sardines packed in together like at the Esmeralda. We were first row at the Ambar every day except one day when we were front row at the Esmeralda. On the Esmeralda beach, people crammed their loungers in together right up to the waters edge almost, whereas at the Ambar you might only have one or 2 other loungers in front of you if you are at. It gave you more room to move your chairs as the sun moved during the day and you enver felt like you were intruding on others' personal space (or them in yours).

TOWEL GAME: Ok, so I was really in a panic about this prior to arriving as I was so afraid of doing the wrong thing. During our week there, people were absolutely marking chairs and security never removed them. I come from the school of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" so our first morning there I went down to the beach at 6:30 to get a front row palapa, which I found. This is no biggie for me as I'm a morning person to begin with plus the Punta Cana sunrises are absolutely to die for!! Worth getting up early to watch! I noticed that morning that you really could go down around 6:45-7am and still get front row. People clued in quickly though and by the end of our week stay, you had to be down there by 6:15 to get front row (again I'm up anyways so a non-issue). With that said, as Brooklin has mentioned, you could easily go down by mid-morning and still be a decent distance from the beach. We just love the front or second row for the better people watching along the beach front...lol. Late in the afternoon we'd go up to the pool and while ALL chairs were marked, if you got a drink and waited, chairs would come available very quickly. There were 4 of us in our group (2 of which need shade) and we never had to wait very long to get pool chairs with a mix of sun and shade.

-SERVICE: at the buffet and snack bars Ambar wins again and is FAR superior. Our friends commented that every meal they had difficulty finding a server that could get you water or a coffee at the Esmeralda (and I experienced this too when we had lunch and dinner there on 2 separate occasions). At the Ambar, the servers are at your table immediately and you never had to wait for a drink, for dirty plates to be taken away, or to be seated (when applicable).

-ROOMS: While both sides have beautifully appointed rooms, we did find that because of the linen and paint choices at the Esmeralda, the rooms there seem brighter and better lit at night. Don't get me wrong, we LOVED our Ambar room and the decor, mattress and pillows were unbelievable. I slept better than I have in months (I also sleep on a firmer mattress at home as well). Note also that the Esmeralda rooms have glass partitions between the bedroom and the bathroom (if you're into that kind of thing...lol)

-FOOD: Pretty similar between the two resorts and that means EXCELLENT!! The meats in particular, were to die for with delicious beef, chicken and pork found everywhere. The BBQ set-up at the AMBAR snack-bar trumps the Esmeralda snack bar though. the Ambar's BBQ chicken, fish and hamburgers were deliciously AND fully cooked! I have never eaten a burger down south as it tastes so different from home and is often make with ground ham. Here, you'd be hard-pressed to make a better burger on your grill at home! All of the other food stations were excellent as well. Yes, some items weren't hot enough but overall it was excellent.

NIGHTLIFE/ENTERTAINMENT: Contrary to what other reviewers have said, we found the Ambar to be very lively the week we were there. There was a great mix of younger and older guests and we certainly never felt like we were going to be "shushed" by quieter guests (like a previous reviewer commented). We had a portable speaker with us at the beach and with the breeze you can't really hear 5 feet away from your chairs anyways so it was never an issue. Others were also playing music as well. Speaking of the beach and entertainment, toplessness is certainly on display and well-tolerated so ladies; if you want to set the girls loose, you'll be in plenty of good company ;). At the pool there was great party music playing late afternoons and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The Esmeralda seemed to play only Caribbean music the days we were at that pool. At night, we found the Ambar, again, superior to the Esmeralda. There was a mix of live Caribbean singing to song games ("name that tune/artist"), to dancing to top-40 tunes via the DJ. The Saturday night that we were there was the beach party and the set-up for this event FAR exceeded my expectations. Well done Ambar!! With fresh pineapple drinks, screen videos, great music, dancing, twinkling lights and neon coloured cube chairs, the atmosphere was just perfect! We also went to the Karaoke bar and disco up at the main Pueblo and they were enjoyable as always.

CONS: I really only have 2 and they were 2 that we could live with. First, this was the first resort I've stayed at where the drinks were SO inconsistent. No 2 drinks were ever the same which made finding your "drink of the day" difficult. One time they'd taste like paint thinner from too much booze and not enough mix and the next it would be the opposite. Oh well, just try many different drinks and you'll be good...lol. We also found the slushie mixes and juice mixes incredibly sweet and often had to mix with club soda to cut the sweetness. This is a personal preference thing though. The beer was also good and cold. Second, our room seemed to have a sewer smell that would come and go. It wasn't enough for us to change rooms but when they called 4 days in to see how our room was, I mentioned it and they said they would look into it and the next day when we came back from the pool it was rectified and wasn't an issue for the rest of the trip.

OVERALL: truly a 5 star resort!! I whole-heartedly recommend the Ambar and will definitely return for a longer stay. Some stand-outs that we encountered were Emmanuel for his check-in assistance, Marlene at the pool, Lewis and Jentsy (I think I got that right) on the beach, Murphy at the lobby bar, and the 2 young cooks behind the pasta and fish station at the buffet one night who tried to get me to eat pork trotters with no success but generated plenty of laughs...lol. But truly, every worker at the Ambar is exceptional and we often commented how friendly and personable they are. Always smiling and happy to help and a real credit to the resort. They all deserve many thanks and appreciation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
21 Thank CurlGirl76
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that you had an excellent stay here with us. Thank you very much for highlighting our exceptional staff. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations, and hoping to receive you very soon at your second home.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Always at your disposal,

Brantford
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This beautiful hotel, located very close to the airport, is 5+ stars. From the moment you arrive, you are greeted with smiles and courtesy. Every square inch of the property is clean, we dined at all the al a carte's, the buffets and no bad experiences. The food, atmosphere and the staff including Christian, Jackson, Maria, Juan and so many others made our stay so enjoyable.
We never return to the same hotel, this time we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the 69 block, its location is perfect. Very close to the beach and pool and withi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank brian_dhall
Dear Customer,

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration. Thank you for mentioning some aspects as our gastronomy and especially some of our staff.
You are welcome to contact us for a next visit in order to prepare everything prior to arrival. In the meantime we wish you all the best.

Always at your disposal,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

We chose this resort based on good reviews, and price compared to other 5 star resorts in Punta Cana.

This resort is an attached large compound of multiple Bahia principe resorts.

1st impression was unbelievable. We were greeted at Ambar lobby then moved to a 3 star room in an attached resort. We couldn't believe that this was what we paid for. Thanks to another couple that had stayed there before, we found out we were not at Ambar and they were going to see what was happening. Well the resort was overbooked, and we were offered a shopping voucher for our troubles. So not a good 1st impression for us, we will pay more to go to another 5 star resort next time.

My ratings based on a 5 star level

Hotel grounds 4.5 - very nice grounds, lush and clean.

Hotel Ammenities 4 - felt a bit crowded, nice beach, lack of poolside chairs, we actually went to other resort in compound so 2 couples could sit together.

Food 4 - Don Pablo is excellent. Get rid of reservations and make all al a carte restaurants compare able for 5 star.

Service/Staff 4 - definitely didn't feel special, or 5 star service, when booking a la carte restaurants we were pretty much told only times we could go, no choices. Poolside or beach service was non existent compared to other 5 star resorts.

Rooms 4 - make sure you get a proper room you paid for. Read in review that people emailed request for specific room, and did so in Spanish. They promptly replied that they would try. Well they overbooked, which really I should rate a 3 star, but if you get the proper room it is clean and nice. Not real 5 star luxury, but definitely 4 star.

Time share presentation at Esmeralda (pitched in the lobby) FYI - they push to get you to go for a presentation. Definitely classes down the resort.

You had to travel to other resorts in the compound for your a la carte dinners which were not adult only. A bit disappointing that reservations were required and limited. Other than the Don Pablo (servers knew what they were doing her and tipped well), we ended up eating at the buffet. The other restaurants should not be affiliated with the Ambar, and really bring down the level of cuisine available. The buffet is very good, and almost the same as the 3 star resorts in the compound. Ambar gets larger selection, with premium cheeses, caviar, sushi for example. There is good selection, and always easy to find something.

Summary - if you want a nice clean resort that is a 4 star or 4+ this is decent value. If you want 5 star service, pay the extra for a real 5 star hotel. You get what you pay for, and we felt at the end of this vacation that we should have spent the extra 400 per person for a better hotel. From a poor 1st impression to a useless shopping voucher, that really didn't make up for the hassle in the beginning. Lucky the other couple said something to us or we might have just stayed in the musty 3 star room we were given on arrival.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank DomLYYZ
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

All feedback from our guests is valued, to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced.

We would like to cater you once again at Dominican Republic to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Kindest regards,