“Second trip to the Ambar.”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #50 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Niagara Falls,Ontario
“Second trip to the Ambar.”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am a little late with my review, My husband and I loved the Ambar whole experience the first time was in December, but we went May 18th to the 25th], this year , we love the ocean here as it is warm, clear and fun, but this time of year it wasn,t as pleasant. I think we swam in it one day and spent the rest of our days at the pool, A little seaweed also as the water is rough some days. Food was very good, we did not try any of the restaurants only the buffet, we very satisfied. I have mobility issues and it was great that there is transportation to the theatre at night and back,and we were close to the lobby. It also rained at night usually, only one cloudy day, but loved the rooms and all the staff, drinks were always good and quick service. We had a good time at the pool, this was a first for us to stay at the pool for the week.. They had a great Kareoke night with amazing singers from the visitors staying at the hotel, it was great, and also enjoyed the Gran Bahia Grammy show at the threatre, it was very humid for me, and also needed your mosquito repellent at the time, at night. It is one of the most beautifully landscaped hotels I have ever seen. hope to return someday again, soon. I have to also state how wonderful their staff all the staff of the hotel is. My only negative experience was when we had a late flight out, and requested to stay in our hotel room a few more hours and pay the extra premium, we were denied ,for new guests coming in, we only needed it until 5:00 pm, so we had to shower at the gym later that day as we had to be out of our rooms by 12:00 noon.

Room Tip: requested a room on bottom floor had mobility issues and we were accommodated, very much appreciated...
4 Thank Linda0078
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Linda,

It is a pleasure to hear that you and your husband loved the Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection first experience that you decided to repeat it. We appreciate that you have highlighted our amazing karaoke night and beautiful landscaping.

We also hope to see you in the near future for 3rd time and continue providing you memorable vacations.

Kind regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,731)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon from May 27 to June 2. We had a great time. There was not much we could complain about. The a la carte food options were great. We had them reserved before getting there and when we arrived our requests were waiting for us. We ate at Portofino, which was our least favorite but still good. We also ate at Maiko, which was our favorite. The sushi was awesome, and the food from the grill was great. Finally we ate at Don Pablos, where our filets were great. The buffet was pretty good, especially at night. We really liked the Asian food night and the Mexican food night. All in all, the food would be the only thing that we wouldn't rank as an A+. Also I emailed gerenterrppbpamb@bahia-principe.com for our reservations which I found on another tripadvisor review.

Our room was clean, and very nice. Upon arrival we had a sash on our door telling everyone we were on our honeymoon. The room service was always prompt and the food we ate that way was great. Bathrooms were great, and the jacuzzi bath was a blessing for my wife.

The bars are all great. We had a great time at the pool bar, and spent most of our time between there and the beach. All of the pool bartenders are friendly, and know how to make a great drink. Yunior, Quentino, Murfi, Marcos, etc. all are a blast to be around. There were some very loud people at the pool that I could name because of how much they were yelling. It was hilarious when one of them got hit in the face with a ball and quieted everything down for about 30 minutes. For the most part it was very relaxing.

We had a great time at all of the night activities. The white party was fun, and so was the international show. Staying around the Ambar is not really the best nightlife that I have ever seen, but it is good to relax and have a little bit of fun. Going to the other parts of the resort have a little bit better nightlife.

We would definitely think about coming back to this resort when we come back to the Dominican Republic. We had a lot of fun, and we will be forever thankful to the staff for making our honeymoon great.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 68 and on the first floor. No complaints at all about the room or building. It...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Client,

It is a pleasure to read that you had a lot of fun in our premises. We have forward your positives comments with our team and they are all very delighted to know that their efforts are so well appreciated.

In the name of our General Manager and all staff members we would like to thank you for choosing our resort for your honeymoon in Punta Cana with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Kind regards,

Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed June 10, 2013

PARADISE! Amazing – absolutely and completely! Highly recommend! Like a mini-town— free shuttle, theaters, shops, and spas are all on the resort’s property. Bahia Spa has spot-on service.

Ambar sits closest to the beach & lives up to the word “luxury.” Junior Suite Deluxe = despite being the least expensive room at the hotel it was amazingly grand (see website for amenities) with canopy-draped beds, sitting area, balcony with chairs and table, ample closet, marbled bathroom, separate rain shower, Jacuzzi, beverage- stocked mini-fridge, air conditioning & ceiling fan.

Good food. Main buffet restaurant had specialty stations: grilled-to-order, salads, pasta, Dominican, vegetarian, deli/cold-cuts, soups, breads, fruits, & desserts. Breakfast was also a buffet & bountiful. Dining options = a-la-carte dinner restaurants on the property – Italian, French, Japanese, Mediterranean, hot or cold buffet lunch in the beach café, along with daily signature cocktail. The food preparation staff did a proper job of keeping the food stations clean and making the food continually appetizing from opening until closing.

Star of the show = beautiful, white sand, turquoise water beach. We witnessed six nuptials over seven days in Ambar’s beach wedding gazebo. Beach goers were curious & welcomed wedding crashers. Landscaping = myriad of palm trees strategically placed between buildings for shade & privacy.

Tips:
• Request the third(top) floor in buildings 64, 65, 67, 68 -- closest to pool & beach. Lobby five minute walk from those buildings.
• Budget for excellent, professional photos taken at pool, on beach or other tropical backdrop at the resort ($10 USD singular photo; $100 USD minimum per 10-photo package).
• Souvenirs = Save money. Same items as resort shops or beach vendors but ¾ cheaper if purchased at airport upon departure.

All staff were outstanding but special thanks to: Angel (assistant head butler), Ana (Building 64 housekeeper), front desk crew, restaurant staff (especially the chef who prepared made-to-order eggs/ omelets each day, his smile & songs while working helped to make our day start bright.)

Our time at Ambar was refreshing and we plan to make a return to “WONDERFUL” as soon as possible.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Edie,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed of a wonderful holiday thanks to our rich gastronomy as well as the good service from our employees. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience.

All-inclusive luxury hotels on Punta Cana with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Warm greetings,

Newark, Delaware
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was fortunate enough to be surprised with a trip here by my amazing girlfriend, for my birthday. I'm "Mr. Safety" and was worried about traveling to the Dominican Republic, However I felt safe at all times. We pre-arranged travel to the resort with our agent, which was great. Our driver was waiting for us and another couple, and we promptly left after getting our luggage. We stayed at the Ambar, Adults only, section of the resort, so initially we were taken to the main resort. The staff was friendly and helpful. We boarded a small trolly and were taken back to our resort. It should be noted, neither of us knew much spanish, however most of the staff that deals with people know english.
We arrived in morning, a few hours before check in. We dropped off our bags, got our wristbands and proceeded to breakfast, then the pool. The pool is a great time without children running around. The other pools on the resort are a bit hectic with the children... The pool and beach are great times, and the bartenders are very nice. I never waited more then a minute or two for a drink. We did observe and hear about a Scottish visitor whom was stealing items from the pool area. Don't leave out your electronics! The staff, I never worried about, it was other guests after I witnessed that encounter. Apparently security found tons of stolen items in his room from a two week stay!
The Michael Jackson show on Monday Nights is a good time. I saw complaints from other reviewers about the nightlife, but we had a great time and we are younger. Not many singles here, so if your looking to score, you might want to look elsewhere, but for couples, it is great. The lobby bar in the ambar was great to start off our nights. We made friends and would have drinks here. We would then take the trolly up to the main resort and see a show, shop, or hit the bars. There is a small "kareokee sports bar". It always had a good crowd at night, and was a great place to catch American Sports. The NBA and NHL playoffs could be seen here. Theres a nice patio outside which we enjoyed having drinks on. There's a large stage outdoors which they have shows at as well. There's also a latin night club which opens at midnight. We had a great time dancing there one evening, but only stayed about an hour as the days in the sun will wear you out!
The beach and resort landscaping are amazing. The tiki umbrellas on the beach are great to keep the sun off of you. The water is clear and amazing.
The housekeeping staff does a great job and kept our mini bar stocked each day with beverages. The only issue I had service wise, was it did take some time to get Ice buckets in the evening. Not a big deal, but I think they forgot once and I had to call a few times.
The food is great. The buffett and snack bar always had tons of options. We eat very healthy so we were happy to find grilled chicken at each meal. The al la carte restraurants were great. We enjoyed trying those out each night. MAKE RESERVATIONS IN ADVANCE! I read to on here, and it was very helpful. Friends that we met there did not, so they were stuck eating late each night. I heard the Japanese place is the best, but we did not book there.
All in all it was a Great Resort, definitely will check out another from this chain on my next trip!

Room Tip: Request a corner room, we had one, they are bigger! We were in Villa 68, it was close to the pool an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank mike b
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Mike,

All of the Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection team is very happy to hear that you were enchanted with your birthday trip. In Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts we are passionate to serve and exceed our guests’ expectations.

You are welcome to contact us for your next trip to any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts and continue demonstrating you our commitment to excellence.

Warm regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2013

After reading and re-reading reviews to Ambar, We decided to go for the first week of June 2013. I took into consideration all positive and negative reviews.

Pros:
- Very clean. This resort takes the prize in 1st class grooming. Throughout the day you would see employees cleaning everywhere whether you were at the beach or even from hallways around the rooms.
- Service was more then I expected. They were always helpful, courteous, and knowledgable (To be fair we speak Spanish, language was not a barrier).

- Our Room was quiet and well within walking distance to anything.

- The food (palmyra) which was the buffet, I must say was the best. very tasty, cleanliness was impeccable, service was great.

- Don Pablo restaurant (French) and Maiko (Japanese) was two of the best restaurants we tried.

- The Beach.... was a dream. Endless body of clear blue water with white sand built to perfection.

Cons:

- Bella Italia (Restaurant) was horrible. It was a real disappointment nothing we ordered seem good, we found the food: uncooked, unfavorable, uncreative.

- Drinks at the bar are WATER-DOWN. You must tip ahead to get a good drink.

- The resort was great, just the people on vacation seemed a bit on the mature side, My fiance and I felt really young among the rest. (But it did make our stay peaceful).

Disclaimer: I did reserve our restaurant via email 2 weeks prior to our arrival, so I did not experience any problem with reservations. I kept close with Antia who is the Coordinator, any worry or issue I always emailed her to make sure all went well when we arrived.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Jennlist
Dear Client,

Thank you for sharing your experience with others. It is an honor to read that our service was more than expected, and to hear that you were delighted with the food in the Palmyra buffet, the best.

We would like to have the opportunity to cater you again and provide you once more an amazing stay in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection.

Receive cordial greetings from the Dominican Republic!

Best regards,

Crown Point, Indiana
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Ambar Hotel was beautiful. Grounds are well kept. Room was clean, the A.C. worked. Staff was couteous and professional. Food was great. Don Pable Restaurant was the best. ElOlivo, was just okay, food not good, service was bad. Portofino, food was better, service was fine. Room service took too long. Pool was very clean, and had great drinks. Beach was beautiful! Maurice, our butler was great! She granted our every wish, helped us celebrate our anniversary. Thank you Maurice! Ambar is the place to go, you won't be sorry. We will be back next year.

Room Tip: Ground level was fine, very quiet, no stairs.
3 Thank JACKIE L
Dear Jackie,

We would like to thank you for your recent review regarding your experience in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection.

Maurice will be happy to learn that you appreciated his effort in arranging you an especial anniversary celebration.

Looking forward to seeing you next year and experience once again a memorable stay!

Always at your disposal,

Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed June 10, 2013

First let me say this is a beautiful resort with great bars. We had an amazing time at the bars, Damian the boss was very friendly and polite. Murfi is the most amazing bartender I have ever met. He is efficient, friendly, makes great drinks and keeps the bar neat and clean. He is an assett to this resort along with Ugo, Wilian, and Alexis who is at the pool bar, he is fun and crazy. We had a great time except we could only get dinner reservations for 3 nights. This seems to be the norm even though the restaurants seem to be empty. The buffett is good but after 6 days of breakfast, lunch, and 4 dinners it gets old. They raved about the GALA it was horrible they made our reservations at 8pm when we got there everything was empty from most of the food, even the plates. The people serving was working very hard it was just to many people for them to handle. Steak very low quality maybe flank steak you could not chew and the lobster was grilled black just a very bad experience overall. The people at the resort work hard to make you happy but there is so many differences in opinion for example a couple went to the El Olivia restaurant with three quarter lengh pants and a button down shirt they would not let him in.
The next night we went to this restaurant and a guy with shorts, t-shirt and flip flops was sitting at the next table. Went to lunch at the buffet one day and would not let my daughter in because her cover up was white linen and you could see the outline of her swim suit but her friend wore the exact same thing into the buffett the day before and nothing was said. Just frustrating things like this drove me crazy. The beaches are beautiful, there was never a problem with getting a chair at the pool. We did have a great time!!!!

Room Tip: Bldg 67 is close to the pool. It has a faint odor but nothing you can't live with.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tequlliafamily
Dear Client,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Please rest assured that we have taken your observations into great consideration.

It is an honor to know that our team had provided our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Warm greetings,

Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#44 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!