“Great vacation at Principe Bahia Ambar”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #49 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“Great vacation at Principe Bahia Ambar”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We have been to Punta Cana many times, this is our favorite hotel... From the best staff to the food and drinks, everything was great...The grounds are beautiful and the beach is gorgeous. The staff are always ready to help and make sure you are having a great time. Special thanks to the staff at :Las Brisas Beach Restaurant - Reymundo, Pascual and Juan Pena.. Pool Bar , Elvis Bianca and Yunior made the best drinks!!! Thank you Nelsida at the Lobby with helping us make all the restaurant reservations and changes., we were very happy to see Rafael from Ocean Blue working at the front desk at Grand Bahia Punta Cana... Thanks again!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank suepal
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to hear that our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar is your favorite hotel in Punta Cana. We greatly appreciate you have highlighted our staff, who are always ready to help. Raymundo, Pascual, Juan, Elvis, Bianca, Yunior, and Nelsida, will be motivated with such nice comments.

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,696)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just spent a a girls week at Ambar and it was truly amazing. The pictures you see on the websites are what you'll see when you arrive. The food was great and I've never met such friendlier staff then at Bahia Principe Ambar. Always smiling and saying hi. So helpful too which was great as a 1st time travler to DR. We will be back soon!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sarah H
Dear Sarah,

It is delightful to know that you just spent an amazing girl’s week in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to our great food, as well as the good service from our employees.

Looking forward for your second visit to the Dominican Republic!

Warm greetings,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My friends and I stayed at the Ambar last week April/first week May and I am very sad reflecting/writing this review because I wish I was still there. Everything from the rooms, pool,beach,and especially service were amazing. This was my first all-inclusive vacation and the hotel/resort has definitely set the bar very VERY high.

Check-in: I would suggest calling ahead of time just to confirm your stay. I called to confirm that Expedia had properly booked our rooms and they weren't particularly rude over the phone but I felt that communication was a problem and they didn't seem too friendly. I got a bad first impression from this conversation and I found myself afraid to call them back bc I didn't want to hear them annoyed with me but don't let that set the tone for the hotel's front desk staff. In person, they were friendly and more than happy to answer any questions

They provided a butler during our stay who would help us make dinner reservations, take us to our room, and answer any questions we had about the hotel,stay,etc. Yeyson, our butler, was probably the best thing ever to happen to our trip. He was incredibly friendly and would constantly go above and beyond anything we requested. He would stop by our rooms several times a day whenever he could not reach us just to check on how we were doing. Who does that?! It was amazing and now I think I will be very spoiled everywhere I go expecting that kind of awesome service Yeyson provided for us. THanks Yeyson! Thank you thank you for making our first time in Punta Cana so amazing!

Rooms:
Several reviewers have said to get 2nd/3rd floor rooms and I highly agree. I had to stay in a first floor room and the minute I walked in it smelled of mildew/ac/cigar(I couldn't even tell what it was) but it stayed through the entire trip and it did become bothersome. I did ask to change rooms but perhaps they were all booked. I was a little bit disappointed but I figured I wouldn't stay in my room a lot. Every time I couldn't stand the smell I just called Yeyson and he would have the cleaning staff spray the room for us. The ac also started to leak so we had a puddle of water on the floor. We had a hard time opening/closing the shower room door which got a little annoying as well. However, the cleanliness of the rooms was top-notch. I don't know who cleaned our room but he/she did a great job. Despite the smell, it made me happy to come back to the room every night. My other friends had a 2nd floor and their room didn't smell like ours. The first floor can also get loud with annoying/possibly drunk people. On my last night there there were people shouting obscenities and arguing. I tried calling the front desk but apparently the buttons to the front desk don't work on the phone. There must have been some extension number I didn't know about so ask about that just in case.

The Ambar is very special bc the rooms were very close to the pool and beach. Also, aside from the annoying drunk people(maybe just that one time) it's VERY quiet. No screaming children :)

Food:
People raved about the buffet here but I didn't think it was that great. I suppose it wasn't terrible but maybe people hyped it up too much. Don't be deceived by their desserts here. They look so beautiful and amazing but they didn't taste too great. The buffet wasn't terrible but don't come thinking it's going to be awesome. The staff at the buffet are pretty amazing though. I don't know how they can keep a smile on their face for so long. I can only remember one waiter,Felix, who always had a smile on his face. They pull out chairs for you and offer hand sanitizer when you walk in. I suppose these aren't a big deal for people but it made us feel really good to be provided with such a service and though I didn't find the buffet's food that great, the service alone made me happy to be eating there.

Don't forget to email the hotel to make reservations for the other restaurants about a week before the trip. The hotel staff will email you back saying that they sent the request out but the day your reservations are made may not be the day you requested. We ate at Maiko (located in the main resort,Bavaro) and it was probably the worst Japanese food I have ever had. I think there are 2 Japanese restaurants there and we ate at the bad one I suppose. The service there was horrendous and the food was salty as heck. I do not recommend Maiko at all. Don Pablo was great and very unexpected after the experience I had with Maiko. The service was impeccable and the food was amazing.

Pool:
Incredibly clean! I loved Ambar's pool bc it wasn't too crowded as the other pools were. The bartenders were so friendly and the drinks were so delicious. Some people complained about vendors coming around to get you to buy different excursions but that didn't seem to be the case. They did come around once or twice but they weren't annoying about it at all. They were very friendly and if you politely decline they will go away. I recommend talking to Francisco at the vendor booth. He's so friendly! I don't want to comment on the services he was recommending(like parasailing,etc) bc I don't know anything about it but he was very friendly and talking to him was entertaining. (FYI for excursions, I would ask your travel rep their recommendations first before buying from or talking to the vendors). Also, the pools do close at 6pm! Please be aware so you aren't disappointed like we were :(

Beach:
The view is incredible and the water is so crystal clear that I can swim in it all day long. The staff there would constantly come around sweeping sand off the chairs and picking up garbage. I have never seen such a clean beach. However, I do also want to complain that there are too many people reserving chairs and it's hard to get a good spot at times but unless you REALLY want the front row seat, I don't think it's necessary to come super early in the morning to claim a spot. They also had several security around to ensure safety and possibly to prevent theft. I felt safe leaving my stuff on my chair to take a dip in the ocean. Sigh.. I miss it already. My only complaint is the amount of smoking people did. It was hard to enjoy the ocean breeze when people are smoking a cigar and/or cigarette. It was very annoying and I get that people go there to relax but people who HATE the smell of smoking can't relax. I wish they would implement a no-smoking rule.

Entertainment:
No entertainment really at Ambar aside from some singing and music. You'd have to venture to the main Bavaro lobby for entertainment. People recommended the Michael Jackson show and I'm glad I got to see it. That boy can dance. They also had a circus act Thursday night which was also worth watching. Apparently they had a disco but it opened at 12 a.m and we were too tired by that time to stay and see what it was like.

Staff: The staff overall was incredible. Anybody and everybody from the front staff, bartenders, cleaning people, outside tree trimming people, trolley drivers,butlers, etc would smile and say "hola,como esta" everywhere we walked. Wow. I am so impressed by the service we received I can't stop raving about it to people back home. Spanish is there main language here and they seem to be impressed when I spoke some of my very broken spanish that I knew =)

Overall, I want to come back to this resort again. Ambar is just a small section of the entire resort but after walking through some of the resorts, I realized just how lucky I was to be with Ambar. It's not too crowded or loud and the staff at Ambar is just incredible. I can't wait to go back and I can't stop recommending this place to everybody who wants to have a relaxing vacation. Thanks Ambar!

Room Tip: no 1st room floors!
1 Thank Tokkiyangmal
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

Rest assured that your positive comments have been forwarded to all our incredible staff, especially to Yeyson, who provided you an awesome service and created you an amazing time in Punta Cana.

We would like to thank you for recommending our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar to everybody who wants to have a relaxing vacation.

Millville, New Jersey
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We enjoyed our short three night stay at the beautiful Ambar. Jennifer, our host for our building, did everything to insure that our stay was perfect. She guided my husband who is visually impaired to our room. A true professional, Jennifer made our evening reservations at a variety of restaurants for our enjoyment.

When our TV wasn't working, she made sure that someone fixed it. When we had questions, she was sure to answer them. Jennifer made sure that we were on time to leave on our last day.

The food at Don Pablo's was great. The buffet was above average. Other restaurants were OK! Everyone was very polite to us and tried very hard to make sure that we had a great time.

Room Tip: We were in room 60101. It was a perfect location. Only about 50 feet to the adult pool, and a very...
1 Thank Beninati1
Dear Guest,

We are proud to hear that you had an excellent stay due to the friendliness of our staff members, especially from Jennifer. She will be proud to read that with her perfect service she was able to contribute in creating you a memorable experience.

Kindest regards from the Dominican Republic!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

This hotel is one of the best kept hotels I have ever seen. From the paint on the walls to the stones on the walking paths. Everything is taken care of from top to bottom. I never really spent much time at the pools, but majority of my time was spent at the beach. Absolutely amazing, everything is taken care of, the cleanest beach I walked past, best seating I've ever seen you have your own chairs table and shade unlike other hotels I've seen, you are not like sardines just laying row by row in your chairs. Lots of space for everyone, water was always clean as well as the sand. Food at the the restaurants and Buffett were always good. Staff is alway helpful, Victor the bartender at the main bar great guy, Endiza a server from the main lobby very sweet fun lady, and Frankiln one of the maintainer from the beach amazing person. All three of them were always! Working hard and were vey nice people who always made sure we were taken care of and comfortable along with every other staff member in that facility. As my self working in the hospitality and customer service industry for many years these people here are some of the best trained staff I have ever seen in my life. They all work hard and all have an amazing smile on their face, keep it up. Great place and would return in the future :)

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Smile905
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.

Victor, Endiza and Franklin, who always made sure you were taken care of and comfortable along with every other staff member in that facility, will appreciate your acknowledgements.

Looking forward to seeing you in the near future!

Greetings from the Dominican Republic,

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I had a great experience on my latest vacation. My friends and I did a girls trip here the last week in April 2013. This property is divided into a few different resorts and we opted to stay at The Amber which is the "adults only" portion. Best decision ever! I love kids however this trip was all about no kids and The Amber was definitely the place to be. Our main goal of the trip was to relax and get some sun, which is exactly what we did. Staying at The Amber, you are much closer to the beach and pool, we were actually just a quick (2 minute) walk. If you were at the other properties, then you would have had to take a trolly, which to be honest, would have been very annoying. But luckily we did not have to do that.

The beach area was amazing! They had plenty of chairs and little huts to sit under if you were getting too much sun. One of the days, the guy trimming the palm tree even cut us a coconut to drink. The water was beautiful, crystal clear! They always had someone constantly cleaning the beach to make sure there were no leftover plastic cups from peoples drinks or just to come by and dust the sand off your chair. They even had waiters on the beach to bring you drinks which we took full advantage of! The pool was also very nice! The one complaint about the pool area was that it closed at 6pm. During the time frame of our stay, it was still considered "winter months" so that is why they closed early however I would have liked to stay till 7 or so.

Overall the staff was extremely nice and accommodating. We had our own "butler", Yeyson (pronounced Jason) who was amazing. He took care of our bags and made sure we were good the entire trip. He even made us reservations every night at one of the restaurants. Some other great staff were our server on the beach, Kelvin, one of the managers, Jorge, and Victor, our server at Don Pablos. The only negative person was actually the Apple Vacation on-site representative (I believe his name was Simon) who was not affiliated with the hotel. He was extremely hard to get in touch with and when we finally did to figure out our transfer back, he was very rude to us.

The food was pretty good overall. They had 2 buffets, one main and one by the pool. Both had some good and some bad items. You did have to make prior reservations at each of the 3 restaurants on The Amber. This was fine with us as our butler Yeyson took care of this. The best restaurant was Don Pablos (not Mexican food which you might think!). We did venture to one of the other properties one night for dinner and they have a little trolly to take you to and from. Very easy and quick.

A quick note about the rooms. They were great! Very clean! The cleaning service was very nice and even left us fresh flowers around the room every day. :) We were on the 1st floor and I would recommend you ask to stay on the 2nd or 3rd to avoid some of the passing noise when others go to their room. At night sometimes it got a little loud.

Overall, you get what you pay for! We paid a little more to have the luxury of being by the beach in the nicer of the resorts and that's what we got. I would definitely recommend this resort to others!

Room Tip: Ask to stay near the beach/pool Getting a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor is better to avoid some of t...
4 Thank KerenB253
Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that you achieved your main goal on your trip: relax and get some sun. It is a pleasure to read you enjoyed our adult’s only all-inclusive resort. Also, we would like to thank you for highlighting Yeyson, Kelvin, Jorge, and Victor, who will be motivated with such wonderful comments.

Thank you for your recent review and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Norwood, NJ
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at the Ambar side of this resort. We found it to be very clean, rooms were okay (not as plush as some other places) food was good and people were GREAT!!!

There was a little bit of a language barrier but staff who did not speak English well always got someone who did and we were fine.

The beach and the water were probably the best we've seen.

But the one thing that really stands out about this resort - the staff!! There were so many amazing people there. From Carlos and Franklin at the entrance to Yeson who brought wine to my room - EXCELLENT! The Bahia should be proud to have such outstanding people working for them -- It must be a very challenging job but they performed it well, with a smile and with respect to the guests without going overboard (kissing up).

We would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bonnie,

In Bahia Principe we are passionate in serving and exceeding the expectations of our guests. We would like to thank you for acknowledging our outstanding staff, especially Carlos, Franklin, and Yeison.

Please let us know of your next visit to Punta Cana. We are looking forward to welcome you once again!

Kind greetings,

Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#44 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!