“Luxury at a reasonable price”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #50 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Sydney, Canada
“Luxury at a reasonable price”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We just returned for the Luxury Bahai Preinipe Ambar on Sunday, April 14th and had a wonderful vacation. We have stayed at many resorts in Cuba and in Punta Cana and by far this this the best value in a quality Luxury Resort. We love it so much that we have returned here the past 3 Years in a row and will return again in the future!

Room Tip: We like Buildings 60, 61 & 62 because of their location but I don't think there is a bad roo...
4 Thank Robert B
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Robert,

For all our team working is great to read that our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar is the best value in luxury quality resorts were you have stayed. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations, and it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back to our Resort.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,721)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Derby, Kansas, United States
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We took our vacation April 8 - 13. When we were trying to decide on a resort it was between the Ambar, The Excellence and The Paradisus. We chose the Bahia Principe Ambar based on recommendations here on TripAdvisor and it turned out to be a great decision. The reason it was better than I imagined (my title to this review) was I have stayed at all-inclusives in Cancun and Jamaica and was underwhelmed with the average tasting food and watered down drinks at all-inclusive resorts. Even in researching here on TripAdvisor no place did I see overwhelming reviews on food. Having said that The Bahia Principe had great food and great drinks.

Ok so here are the details good and bad:

The resort: Beautiful! The grounds are well cared for, well maintained and very pretty. Beautifully landscaped, immaculate condition. The buildings and walkways were extremely well maintained. It seemed as though they were repainting anything that was not in great condition. I even notice one night in the dark they were sanding one of the decks near the snack bar and redoing it so it would be new by the next day. Pools were clean, lounge chairs power washed at night, beach was kept clean. Lobby was beautiful, bathrooms in lobby clean, restaurants clean. Everything was just really well cared for and the staff was always cleaning, maintaining and picking up.

The rooms: Our room was very nice. The bathroom was beautiful and the bedroom was very nice. We had a king sized bed and every room I believe had a couch, table with 2 chairs and dresser, mini bar and closet with a safe. Each bathroom comes equiped with hairdryer, soap, bath gel, shampoo, body lotion, shower cap, shoe shiner and a couple other things...but no conditioner for your hair so bring that. There were plenty of towels, separate tub, shower with rain head. The only thing we didn't like about the bathroom was there was no exhaust fan for you know what....

Things to know about buildings and rooms: In reviews I had seen people saying stay in certain buildings but I sent in a request about a week or so before we arrived, we did not get any of the buildings we requested so I dont know how anyone gets a requested building. We also requested to be near the other couple we were traveling with and they didn't even put us in the same building. None of the rooms are really ocean view which is a shame because the ocean was gorgeous. I think mainly because of how they are situated and all the shade on the beach would block the view. There are 3 buildings right around the pool but unless you get rooms closest to the pool I would assume many of the rooms even in those buildings are not pool viewable. I really think there is nothing wrong being in a building near the lobby. We went to the lobby many times a day (the buffet restaurant is in the lobby). So its a toss up really. The other thing to know about the buildings is they are all 3 floors. The good about the 3rd floor is it is much quieter...the bad is there are no elevators so it's stairs only. My friends were on the 1st floor because of a knee problem but they said they heard everything. We were on the 3rd floor and heard nothing but I was not fond of the stairs. So take your pick.

Problem with our room in particular...Room 69303 (could have been a problem with 3rd floor rooms in general but I don't know, it could have just been our room). Our air conditioner worked but very poorly. We told guest services about this many times and twice they sent maintenance people to our room but it never got better. And to be honest neither the first maintenance guy nor the maintenance supervisor spoke a lick of English and I only speak a few words of Spanish. They kept saying (in spanish) in 5 or 6 minute it will be better. It never got better! We thought at first maybe it was as good as their air could get but then we went into our friends room and theirs was downright cold. Ours, while somewhat cool never got cold enough, in fact it was so not cool that I didn't even sleep with a sheet on me. We should have requested a new room but we didn't. Considering that I complained about 3 times I think they should have just offered to move us. To make matters worse every time the turn down service came in they shut off my air, so then I had to turn it on again to get it it from hot to mildly comfortable. I should note that they kept telling me that the balcony had to be closed because there was a sensor connection on the door and the air wouldn't run if it was open...ours was never open so that was not the reason our air was not working right. So don't get room 69303 and if your air in your room is not good ask to be moved.

The food: Amazingly good! There was a main buffet that you could have breakfast lunch and dinner at. Huge Huge selection of food!! Food was really good. Breakfast you could get mimosas or bloody marys. There were ala carte restaurants that you need reservations for. Highly recommend that you book those before you even get to the resort. We didn't and we had trouble getting into them, but we did book some because we were willing to eat late like at 8:45. That time ended up not being a big deal because we would stay at the pool until close and then go up to the room and grab a bit of a nap and then shower for dinner, then maybe hit the lobby for a drink then off to dinner. So at the alacarte restaurants you order your main meal and then for an "appetizer" your go to that restaurants buffet...yeah crazy eat a big buffet of food, have your main meal and go back to the big buffet for dessert. I guess what I am saying is you get a lot of food. There should be no reason to ever be hungry. During the day near the pool is two "snack bars"...by snack bar I mean more buffet but this would be a buffet of french fries, hot dogs, burgers, nachos, fruit, desserts, cheeses, meats etc....There is always something to eat somewhere. You can eat anywhere on the property so you may end up making reservations at a restaurant in another part of the resort...just take a trolley over there. I have to say at any restaurant that I ordered filet of beef it was outstanding. On the other hand, any time my husband or friends ordered lobster they didn't care for it. We ate at the steakhouse the first night (I don't remember it's name). We ate at an Italian restaurant the second night (I didn't feel good that night...to much to drink, so I cant comment on that restaurant, I cant even remember the name of the restaurant but it wasn't the Italian on in the Ambar it was in another part of the resort). We ate at Pescador the 3rd night and that restaurant had lots of fish selections although I had steak. Thursday we ate at the buffet and Friday we ate at Olivo...I had the chicken and my husband had the churrasco steak...I wish I had gotten the churrasco steak cause it was delish.

The beach: I didn't spend much time laying at the beach. We walked the beach a bit and when the pool closed sometimes we would go hang by the beach for a while. I'm not a huge fan of sand and salt water (I'm more of a swim up bar kinda girl), but I will say the beach by the Ambar side is so clean and the water is so beautiful - turquoise blue and clear. Very lovely. They do seem to have sand volleyball down there and I saw a morning yoga class on the beach. There is also a bar down by the beach.

The pool: My favorite. Give me a swim-up bar and I'm a happy girl. Everyone in reviews complained about getting a lounge chair. We showed up any time...could have been 11:00 in the morning or 2:00 in the afternoon and we always found a 2 to 4 chairs to put our stuff on. Let's be honest, it is crazy hot sun there and you can only lay out so long before you have to get in the water. After that I find myself just hanging in the water and talking with people. So unless you want to get a lounge chair with some shade so you can lay on the chair all day don't worry about it. Enjoy the pool and the bar. Big suggestion that I got from other reviews...Bring a Bubba Mug. I bought mine at Walmart and then every time I went to the bar they would fill it up. The bubba keeps your drink cold and you only have to go to the bar a 3rd of the time. Another tip...bring a float - I wish I had brought a float - next time for sure! Be prepared the pool bar closes like at 5 or 5:30 and the pool closes shortly there after. That kind of surprised me so now you know so you wont be surprised. Everyday they had water aerobics and zumba by the pool if you wanted to participate in that.

Spa: I had a wonderful massage in the spa. I highly recommend spa services.

Golf: My husband and friend had a wonderful time golfing. They said it was great.

So I gave a 5 for my rating. I would say I would have given 4 3/4 if that had been an option and that 1/4 loss would be due to the air conditioning problems in my room and lack of ability to choose a building and be near the people we traveled with.

Room Tip: I didn't see that we had any option to choose a room or building. I requested one of 3 building...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank JLinhart
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

For all our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar team is an honor to read that base on recommendations on TripAdvisor you choose a great decision.

Regarding the inconveniences that you experienced with the air condition during your stay, we would like to present our most sincere apologies, and please let us inform you that we have sent your comments to the head of Maintenance today to avoid this kind of situations from reoccurring.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Literally just got home after a week at the Bahia Principe Ambar and I had to write this while the trip is still fresh in my mind. First, the reviews previously posted are pretty accurate... Book your dinner reservations ahead of time. Our travel agent insisted we didn't need to do so and that any reviews we read saying so were false or exaggerating. Not true. We didn't even get to eat at the Ambar restaurants because of this. I went to guest services the day we got there only to find out it was too late (after 3pm you can't make reservations) and by the time I got there the next day they were booked for the week. That being said the food we did eat was okay. I've been to all inclusive resorts with better but trust me when I say that I never went hungry. The Bavaro lobby buffet had a bigger selection than the Ambar from what we could tell. The Garden Grill was really good, the best ala carte of the week by far.
The pool is Amazing! The staff is so wonderful - especially Yunior and Bianca. I am going to miss Yunior's singing every day and his smile. And Bianca had me in awe with how hard she works - at one point I saw her carrying around a tray full of drinks in one hand and take a picture of some people in the pool with the other (by the way she can take 20 drink orders, never write a thing down and know exactly where each drink goes). I need to figure out how to make a Coco Loco here they were so good!
The resort is big, but it is not unreasonable to walk everywhere. The rooms were very nice and the beach was beautiful but you really do have to get up early (6am) to get a decent seat out there. Suggestions : bring an insulated mug for drinks, go see the Cirque de Soile show, and bring more sunscreen than you could ever imagine going through. Overall, my husband and I were very happy and we would recommend this resort to our family and friends no question. If you are only looking for a place with 5 star cuisine, look elsewhere but if you are looking for a place with amazing staff, accommodations, drinks and friendly vacationers (with no kids) I don't know if you can pick a better place.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tracey B
Dear Tracey,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed our amazing pool, especially with the wonderful service. Yunior and Bianca will be very happy with your acknowledgments.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Kindest regards,

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Beautiful beautiful. We stayed here for the first time at the begining of March. The rooms were wonderful, large and clean, Luxury all the way. Lobby was bright and inviting, staff friendly and helpful. Food was excellent. Beach was great lots of chairs. Buffets had wide variey of choices everyday.
All in all wonderful the only things not enough chairs by the pool, internet not the best, not enough to do in Ambar.
If you are there to relax and enjoy the sun this is the place to go.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ccunuk
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination.
Thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our hotel, which give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, and also, for recommending us as a place to relax and enjoy the sun.

Warm greetings,

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This resort was the best I have stayed on. Very clean and well kept. The rooms were nice. Food was excellent. We booked our a la carts in advance through our travel agent and were not disappointed. Five star meals every night. Great food, wonderful wine. The beach was beautiful! The sand is kept raked unlike other resorts on the same beach. Get your chair by the pool early or on the beach early as they fill up fast. My only complaint was the prices in the little shops. The items are overpriced. Walk to the bigger resort, bavaro , their shops are less expensive for the same item. Entertainment was great as was the disco. Lots to do! Going back at Christmas and taking the family with us. I highly recommend this resort!

1 Thank Jessica M
Dear Jessica,

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed a fantastic vacation in our amazing resort. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience.

Thank you for pointing out our very clean and well-kept resort, nice rooms, excellent food, beautiful beach, and great entertainment.

We are looking forward to seeing you and your family on Christmas!

Always at your disposal,

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We looked at Trip Advisor before our vacation so I felt the need to share our experiences with others who choose to go to this resort as we found the information very useful. First off, the hotel, the grounds and the rooms were immaculate! Very clean and well kept. The staff is friendly, helpful and always happy to see you. The beach is just gorgeous. The security does a great job of patrolling the pool and beach area ensuring there are no children in the area or "non" Ambar guests.

Now in saying that I do have a couple of tips to help you enjoy your stay. This is an adult only resort, however even adults behave poorly and by 3-4pm, there were some rowdy obnoxious individuals who had far to much to drink and thought the entire pool area should hear them. As well, keep in mind the adult means 18 and over ..... I remember what I was like at 18 and 19 and through my twenties ....

Our next tip .. be at the pool early if you want a chair. Or the beach for that matter. The pool was open at 8am every morning and there were cards on the chairs saying you could not reserve, however this is not enforced. It really should be because the amount of people poolside reserving chairs at 6:30am is ridiculous. As the saying goes ... early bird gets the worm.

The food was great. The buffet had something for everyone and was beautifully displayed. The a la cartes we went to (el olivo, Santa Fe) were good but limited menu. I was lucky to find something I liked. Word of advice ...stay clear of all Italian Restaurant on the property. The buffet is just as good(if not better) then ANY a la carte on the property. After our Italian experience, we ended up cancelling 2 other a la cartes and just going to the buffet. Good luck to you if you need anything out of the ordinary. One night we ordered tea after dinner and it never came. A few times we ordered Cappuccino with breakfast and they arrived after we were finished... so anything out of the norm either doesn't come or arrives when you are ready to leave. The major problem (especially at the a la cartes) is that one person seats you, another person pours your water, a different person brings you dinner rolls, another person takes your order, then a different person brings your meal ... to top it off another person clears the dishes. Is it fast service? Yes .... however we found that our orders got lost in all the bodies and we also felt like we were being rushed. So for these reasons the buffet was just fine :)

I have been reading on these threads people saying that villa 68 is the place to be .... well it is !! Let me tell you why. If you are lucky enough to get a corner room in the back .... there is nothing but palm trees and quiet behind you. That villa (as well as a few others) is on the edge of the property with NO resort beside it so there is jungle.... that's it. 68 is also good because it is one villa from the pool(close but far enough away so there is no noise) Its a bit further away from the lobby, however we liked this as the lobby gets loud at night. We were also on the second floor which made us feel a little safer.

All in all this was a wonderful resort. Thanks to those who have posted before us as we learned a few things. Would I go back .... yes I would. That is the true rating of a property.

3 Thank Blackcomb99
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with other on TripAdvisor and for highlighting our immaculate grounds and rooms, friendly staff, gorgeous beach, and the great job from our security team.

Please rest assured that your observations have been taken in the highest consideration and shared with the corresponding departments to analyze the points you mentioned.

Feel welcome to contact us for your next visit, in order to prepare all the details and provide you a wonderful experience.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Montreal
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Like our two previous trips to the Amber our two weeks were amazing and like always the weather person was very good to us.

The food and service at the al- a- carte restaurants and all the buffets are second to none and the staff amazing.

The beach being only for Amber guests and no children is very quite and not crowded and is very well maintained. You are also spoiled by drinks served where you are sitting.

THe rooms are very spacious and the maids keep them very clean and are very accomodating to your needs. The room service is rapid. You call and it seems like you hang up the phone and there is a knock at the door.

The pool is huge and very well maintained. I witnessed a very unpleasant event one day a man who had too much to drink passed out in the pool and almost drowned. I tell you this so you will know they have excellent security and emergency responders. He was very quickly pulled from the pool a team worked on him as he was not breathing and had no pulse but they brought him back , stabalized him then transported him to the hospital. He was back at the pool the next day. They for sure saved the man's life.

I can not say enough about Elvis the head bartender and his team at the pool bar. Yes Elvis you all thought he was dead . Well I am here to tell you he is alive and well and tending bar at the Amber in Punta Cana.Bianca and Desiree who serve you around the pool are real sweethearts they work hard and long hours in the heat but are always cheerful and very accomodating. My wife and I really missed Enoraliza who served us the previous 2 years at the pool but we got to see her serving in the lobby. We sort of adopted her she is a real doll.

The entire property is so well groomed it is so pleasant just walking around it. I can not send this review without thanking the management team at the Amber for a great vacation because they are the ones responsible for running this resort and are so pleasant and approachable and when you do they are very accomodating.

Ah well that is it for another year now back to the snow but we will be back next April.

Dear Ron,

We feel very proud to read that we have provided you, like in your two previous trips, an amazing experience.

Thank you for mentioning our team working who makes this hotel the most charming for our distinguished customers. Please be assured that your great observations will be forward to Elvis, Bianca and Desiree.

Looking forward to seeing you for your 3rd visit next April!

Always at your disposal,

Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#43 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!