“Great Resort :)”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue
Ranked #52 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We looked at Trip Advisor before our vacation so I felt the need to share our experiences with others who choose to go to this resort as we found the information very useful. First off, the hotel, the grounds and the rooms were immaculate! Very clean and well kept. The staff is friendly, helpful and always happy to see you. The beach is just gorgeous. The security does a great job of patrolling the pool and beach area ensuring there are no children in the area or "non" Ambar guests.

Now in saying that I do have a couple of tips to help you enjoy your stay. This is an adult only resort, however even adults behave poorly and by 3-4pm, there were some rowdy obnoxious individuals who had far to much to drink and thought the entire pool area should hear them. As well, keep in mind the adult means 18 and over ..... I remember what I was like at 18 and 19 and through my twenties ....

Our next tip .. be at the pool early if you want a chair. Or the beach for that matter. The pool was open at 8am every morning and there were cards on the chairs saying you could not reserve, however this is not enforced. It really should be because the amount of people poolside reserving chairs at 6:30am is ridiculous. As the saying goes ... early bird gets the worm.

The food was great. The buffet had something for everyone and was beautifully displayed. The a la cartes we went to (el olivo, Santa Fe) were good but limited menu. I was lucky to find something I liked. Word of advice ...stay clear of all Italian Restaurant on the property. The buffet is just as good(if not better) then ANY a la carte on the property. After our Italian experience, we ended up cancelling 2 other a la cartes and just going to the buffet. Good luck to you if you need anything out of the ordinary. One night we ordered tea after dinner and it never came. A few times we ordered Cappuccino with breakfast and they arrived after we were finished... so anything out of the norm either doesn't come or arrives when you are ready to leave. The major problem (especially at the a la cartes) is that one person seats you, another person pours your water, a different person brings you dinner rolls, another person takes your order, then a different person brings your meal ... to top it off another person clears the dishes. Is it fast service? Yes .... however we found that our orders got lost in all the bodies and we also felt like we were being rushed. So for these reasons the buffet was just fine :)

I have been reading on these threads people saying that villa 68 is the place to be .... well it is !! Let me tell you why. If you are lucky enough to get a corner room in the back .... there is nothing but palm trees and quiet behind you. That villa (as well as a few others) is on the edge of the property with NO resort beside it so there is jungle.... that's it. 68 is also good because it is one villa from the pool(close but far enough away so there is no noise) Its a bit further away from the lobby, however we liked this as the lobby gets loud at night. We were also on the second floor which made us feel a little safer.

All in all this was a wonderful resort. Thanks to those who have posted before us as we learned a few things. Would I go back .... yes I would. That is the true rating of a property.

3  Thank Blackcomb99
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with other on TripAdvisor and for highlighting our immaculate grounds and rooms, friendly staff, gorgeous beach, and the great job from our security team.

Please rest assured that your observations have been taken in the highest consideration and shared with the corresponding departments to analyze the points you mentioned.

Feel welcome to contact us for your next visit, in order to prepare all the details and provide you a wonderful experience.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (10,759)

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Like our two previous trips to the Amber our two weeks were amazing and like always the weather person was very good to us.

The food and service at the al- a- carte restaurants and all the buffets are second to none and the staff amazing.

The beach being only for Amber guests and no children is very quite and not crowded and is very well maintained. You are also spoiled by drinks served where you are sitting.

THe rooms are very spacious and the maids keep them very clean and are very accomodating to your needs. The room service is rapid. You call and it seems like you hang up the phone and there is a knock at the door.

The pool is huge and very well maintained. I witnessed a very unpleasant event one day a man who had too much to drink passed out in the pool and almost drowned. I tell you this so you will know they have excellent security and emergency responders. He was very quickly pulled from the pool a team worked on him as he was not breathing and had no pulse but they brought him back , stabalized him then transported him to the hospital. He was back at the pool the next day. They for sure saved the man's life.

I can not say enough about Elvis the head bartender and his team at the pool bar. Yes Elvis you all thought he was dead . Well I am here to tell you he is alive and well and tending bar at the Amber in Punta Cana.Bianca and Desiree who serve you around the pool are real sweethearts they work hard and long hours in the heat but are always cheerful and very accomodating. My wife and I really missed Enoraliza who served us the previous 2 years at the pool but we got to see her serving in the lobby. We sort of adopted her she is a real doll.

The entire property is so well groomed it is so pleasant just walking around it. I can not send this review without thanking the management team at the Amber for a great vacation because they are the ones responsible for running this resort and are so pleasant and approachable and when you do they are very accomodating.

Ah well that is it for another year now back to the snow but we will be back next April.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Ron,

We feel very proud to read that we have provided you, like in your two previous trips, an amazing experience.

Thank you for mentioning our team working who makes this hotel the most charming for our distinguished customers. Please be assured that your great observations will be forward to Elvis, Bianca and Desiree.

Looking forward to seeing you for your 3rd visit next April!

Always at your disposal,

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We just returned from a week's stay (April 4-11) at the Ambar. I can honestly say that it is the best hotel that we have visited. The entire complex is clean, comfortable, and inviting. We couldn't have asked for a more friendly, helpful staff including Yeyson, Jorge, Raymundo, Yoseiry, Felix, Yunior, and Confessor, just to name a few. Yeyson greeted us in the lobby and made sure our check-in went smoothly. He was our "go-to guy" if we needed anything during our stay. Jorge made sure our checkout was a breeze!

The beach is something out of a travel magazine as it is kept clean and there are always chairs to relax on. When we needed a change of scenery, the pool offered a refreshing alternative. Yunior and Confessor kept the drinks flowing and were always smiling and friendly.

The food offerings were many as we could make a reservation for any restaurant in the complex. Our favorite was the Don Pablo with delicious choices and excellent service. Special thanks to Felix who was very personable and attentive. We loved the snack bar at the pool/beach, eating almost every breakfast and lunch there. Raymundo and Yoseiry made sure we were comfortable and welcome.

I had emailed (info.ambar@bahiaprincipe.com) the resort three weeks ahead of time to request a room placement and reservations for dinner. Even though I didn't get my first choice of buildings, our location was perfect in bldg. 65 as it is in the middle of the resort. All five restaurant requests were filled and I want to thank customer service for honoring them.

Helpful tips: You will need lots of tanning lotion with an spf of at least 30. The sun is very direct and the salt water washes the protection away quickly. If you want to reward the staff for a job well done, bring one-dollar bills. We took insulated mugs which kept our drinks cold and required fewer trips to the bar. If you use conditioner on your hair, bring some as none is offered in the room toiletries.

We have found our "home away from home" and are planning to return next year for another wonderful stay at the Ambar!

Room Tip: We were in bldg. 65, third floor and it is centrally located in the complex. Next time we will requ...

Dear Diane,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to our rich gastronomy, as well as the good service from our employees. Yeyson, Jorge, Raymundo, Yoseiry, Felix, Yunior, and Confessor, will appreciate your acknowledgments.

You are welcome to contact us for your next visit in order to prepare all the details to provide you another wonderful stay at our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar.

Greetings from paradise,

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed April 5-12, first time to d.r. It was a little hectic at bavaro waiting for the cart to take you to ambar. Once at ambar check in was smooth. We were in bldg 67 if was the best. Staff around the resort very friendly. Do not waste your time with ala cartes, Don Pablo was my least favorite better food at buffet. The beach was great plenty of chairs. Overrall great resort if you like a laid back relaxing vacation which is what we got we will be back!

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations and it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back to our Resort.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Pure luxury all the way! Washed and Polished even the road ways every day. Could eat off the floors and the roads. I have never felt so spoiled. Must try for yourself. The staff were very friendly and always willing to help. The location was pretty central to all the tours we took and they made these adventures easy to access too. I was also pleased to see how handicap accessible the resort was, with huts on the beach even for wheelchairs that had a wood path to them. THE ABSOLUTE BEST!!!!!

Room Tip: there were three couples in our group all in different areas of the villa and no one had any problem...
3  Thank richard l

Dear Richard,

We are glad you find worth to mention our polished grounds, very friendly staff, and accessible premises for handicap. Thank you for entitling us as the absolutly the best.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar and continue providing the most memorable experiences.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2013

When the first word in hotel's name is "Luxury", that puts certain expecatations to the overall experience. Unfortuately, Bahia Principe Ambar was lacking in this respect.

At no point were we asked, if we wanted a non-smoking room or king size bed. As a result we got a room with old cigarrette smell and two beds. Smell wasn't quite bad enough for us to ask for another room, but it was annoying.

Being the gadget geek that I am, I was really disappointed by the number of electric sockets in the room; all in all I found three, if I disconnected the coffee maker, floor lamp and clock on the nightstand. Not nearly enough to recharge all my devices during nights. The clock wasn't too useful anyway, given that it was running about five minutes fast every day.

There were quite many things that were a bit askew about this resort. They ran out of clean beach towels every day some time in the afternoon, soda fountains were scarce and often out of order and the water used in them had a weird taste, turn down service barged in our room at half past ten when we were already deep asleep, and the internet service in the lobby was bad. (In fact, it was beyond bad. I could write a review about all the things that were wrong about the internet service alone. For me it was bad enough that I will actually never consider visiting this hotel again, but that's just me.)

Service quality was varying, ranging from bored to rude. Surprisingly few staff members speak or understand English, which made reserving a spa treatment an experience in itself. At no point did it feel like the personnel were there to make our stay pleasant.

Beach was by far the best part of this resort. It's amazingly beautiful, mostly peaceful, drinks are brought to your sunbed and even the few beach vendors leave you alone if you don't want to interact with them. It was easy spending two weeks just lying down by the beach, enjoying the sun and reading. Of course, lying on your stomach is impossible on these sunbeds, the ones by the pool seemed more comfortable, but there the noise was so bad you can't hear yourself thinking.

All in all, Bahia Principe Ambar does not deliver on the promise of luxury. It is a prime example of the formidability of Dominican Republic's tourism industrial complex.

4  Thank Jyri J

Dear Guest,

We regret not having been able to achieve our main objective with you, which is our guests´ entire satisfaction.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Overall, I enjoyed my 4-day stay at the Ambar. Its grounds, room, pool, beach, and restaurants are meticulously kept, all's clean all the time, adn the staff does a wonderful job. The beach is absolutely beautiful and the lounges are comfortable. The room and bathroom are very spacious, the bed comfortable, and very well maintained. I've read that it's a quiet resort and that's what attracted me to it but I can't agree. On Sunday afternoon, there were some activities at the pool and the music blared so loudly, we could hear it all the way on the beach. I go on these short vacations to the DR to recharge my batteries, listen to the waves, and not 80s rock, so this was more than disappointing. The other days it was fairly quiet, though. It's an adults-only resort and they actually did enforce that policy on the Ambar section of the beach. One of the great things about this resort is that it's right next to, integrated really, to a couple of other resorts that you can visit and use their ammenities. We really liked the big stage with performances at the big resort (can't recall its name). The Michael Jackson tribute was incredibly fun, the performers so talented and energetic - it definitely exceeded my expectations. The food is not bad but nothing to be excited about. The food at the buffets and restaurants is presented well and appetitizing but in a way everything tasted the same. There were a couple of yummy dishes, but otherwise I got tired of if after two days. The drink selection was better than the other resort in the DR i have been to - top shelve liquor and some unusual choices, too. Overall, I think I'm just not a huge fan of resorts, though for such a short trip they are convenient, but I'll have to think twice before I book another vacation like this.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Bettina131
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear Bettina,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel and for highlighting our meticulously kept grounds, room, pool, beach, restaurants, and wonderful staff. We are happy to know that you have fun with our Michael Jackson show at our Tropicana Theatre.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Best regards,