“a beautiful resort”

Ranked #48 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Cape Breton Island, Canada
“a beautiful resort”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at this resort twice and will no doubt return at some time in the future. We travel a lot and visit an all inclusive at least once a year and this is the most beautiful resort we have ever stayed in. Everything is spectacular, and we enjoyed being close to the beach and that the resort is all adult. A number of the a la cartes are good and the Don Ambar one is fantastic. The only complaint we have had is that we would like to see more entertainment early in the evening, both at the Ambar lobby bar and the lobby bars at the main resort lobby.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Scott S
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Scott,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the all-inclusive adults only program. It is a pleasure to our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar family to know that we have provided you a spectacular experience, and will no doubt to return in the future.

Your observations regarding entertainment in the evening have been share with the General Manager of our Resort to analyze the points you mentioned.

Looking forward to seeing you soon at Punta Cana, Dominican Republic!

Warm Greetings,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,682)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Maine
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We just got back last night from 6 days at The Gran Bahia Principe Ambar. First off, I spend from the day after Christmas until the morning of my trip reading the review posted of the hotel I have booked for my vacations and I luv to do this> I booked the Ambar based on all the wonderful reviews and info posted on forums.
My experience echos alot of the pros and cons posted in reviews as of late.
First off the most important things to me when I travel is BEACH, POOL and ROOM. The Ambar far exceeded my expectations on all 3.
The beach is gorgeous and clean!! It is private, no children running around. If you go the the area right behind the pool, it is more crowded and becasue it is the widest part of the beach, you could be far from the waters edge. My advice is to follow the wooded path and go to THE LEFT, past the scubba shack. Quiet and plenty of chairs. I never had to fight for a place on the beach as there always seemed to be plenty of chairs and palpayas in this area. And the beach waiters still come over here too. Its a very quiet beach so dont look for any entertainment, unless you make your own.
The pool is crystal clear, clean, beautiful and inviting. It is the centerpiece of the complex. Just beautiful. However, everyone is CORRECT in that the towel game is in full swing. This is a practice that will never change so if you cant beat em join em. however, one morning my hubby went out to get a seat and do some reading and saw security removing towels and items from chairs when placed before 8am.
The rooms are well appointed and clean upon arrival and check in. The bed is one of the more comfortable that I have had the pleasure of sleeping in. The bathroom was large. The shower stall itself left me a little claustophobic but the tub was nice. I emailed the hotel prior to my arrival and requested building 67, 3rd floor, facing pool and I got it. I did sent a second email after reading about all the "overbookings posted on tripadvisor" and essecially told them this would not be acceptable to me. But there were alot of people that did get placed somewhere else.
In the 5 full days we were there, the room only got cleaned 3 times. The 2 times they came to clean and it didnt get done was because it was 5pm and we were showering and getting ready for the evening. I had to go hunt down towels and ask for the mini fridge to get retocked several ties during the stay. I didnt mind the room not getting cleaned becasue it was my own mess but I guess I expected more in reading the previously posted reviews.
Also I heard alot about butler service. I never saw a butler nor did alot of other people. I dont know if this is a service that comes with the type of package you buy or what the deal was but we never saw anyone at all. So dont get your hopes up.
The grounds are incredible. I can not put into words how beautiful and well maintained this property is. I was just heavenly. The complex itself is HUGE!! Several properties into one. Reminds me of Disney World in the way it is set up. Very large but beautiful
Now to the average
average food....I agree that alot of items are repetative and remade into some casserol or dressed in gravy. The food was ok but like anywhere if you eat at the same place all week it gets boring. the ala cartes are another joke. I emailed them to set up reservations which they did only to find out they only booked just one of us and when we went to clarify it, they couldnt accomodate. So we ended up just once at Don Pablo and it was good.
I waited all week for the exceptional service I had read about for weeks but it was hit or miss. One time we got "forgotten" altogether. But I am willing to get up and get my own coffee and refill my wine glass but I also got the dirty look when I did it too. The squeaking wheels seemed to get the service and I am just not a squeaky wheel. So service is hit or miss at all the mealtimes and the same at the bars.
The liquor is also subpar. They do have a sweetheart of a girl go around after dinner with top shelf cordials and this was a nice touch but Im afraid they were watered down too.
The lobby was nice to sit and have "drink" and listen to music.
They also have 3 computers for guests to use free of charge and free wi fi in the lobby.
So I fear my review has gotten long winded...
To sum up, would I stay here again???? Sure...if the price was right. But I would check with the Magestic to compare prices first and not automatically book with the Gran Bahia.
Oh one more thing....The time share guys are BRUTAL!!! They told me that they work with Apple Vacations and Apple has a free girft for me to come and get in the morning. It was only becasue I read it on here that I needed to be aware of what was going on, otherwise I may have gone to the appointment. BEWARE of men in white polos nd glod and black lettering bearing gifts!!

Room Tip: Building 67 is closest to the beach and pool. 3rd floor is very quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ElaineandBill
Dear Elaine and Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. It is wonderful to know that we far exceed your expectations with the most important things for you when you travel: beach, pool and room. All feedback from our guests is valued, to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

We would like to cater you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Kindest regards,

Minnesota
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I went to Gran Bahia Principe Ambar February 20-24 and it was not nearly long enough! We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary, so we had emailed the resort ahead of time to let them know this and also to make our dinner reservations for the time that we were there. They honored all of our reservations and they were in place upon arrival, eliminating any standing in line. When we arrived at our room, there was a "Happy Anniversary" banner across the door and when we walked inside, there were balloons, a fruit basket and a welcome package including rum and t-shirts. There were fresh hibiscus flowers adorning the bathroom and the king size bed. We did request a corner unit which they were not able to accommodate but it was not a big deal at all--the room was huge and had a beautiful balcony. I don't think there is a bad room in this whole section of the resort. We were within a few feet of the pool and just a stroll away from the most gorgeous, breathtaking beach I've ever seen. The staff worked so very hard and were always friendly and willing to help. The language barrier (they speak Spanish) could have been tricky for some people, so it helps that I also speak Spanish and we were able to communicate pretty well. The housekeepers did an impeccabel job every day and usually returned a second time to turn down the bed and place little chocolates on the pillows when we were away at dinner. We did tip them and left trinkets as others on this site had recommended. It is evident that they take great pride in their jobs--they even scrub the sidewalks! Everything is clean, clean, clean. The food was awesome with plenty of variety. Don Pablo was our favorite with Bella Italia our least favorite. The Japanese tepanyaki dinner was a fun experience and one I would recommend. Don't let negative reviewers worry you about the food--we are not picky eaters at all, so might be a little easier to please, but we were surprised at the quality and variety of food at buffet, room service, snack bar and a la cartes. Just wonderful. Drinks were great also. Merengues were my drink of choice and caused me to get a severe sunburn at the pool one day because I was too busy talking and making friends and overlooked going to re-apply sunscreen. Speaking of sunscreen, bring your own! The sunblock at the lobby shops cost .... wait for it .... $40!!! For the same kind you can buy at Target for $9.99. The all-inclusive was the way to go--you never had to bring any money with you anywhere and you could get everything and anything you wanted at any time of the day or night in terms of food and drink. The entertainment was limited at the Ambar ... karaoke contest and DJ was all we saw. There is a stage at Pueblo Principe and we did watch part of a circus show, but lost interest quickly and went on our way to do some shopping. It is geared more for families (other part of the resort, away from adults only). The vendors in this area are extremely pushy and overbearing. We walked through and looked at some of what they were selling and it was the same stuff you can find in the shops. Save yourself the headache and stay away from them! Beach was our favorite. Starting at about 8:00 am you begin to hear your neighbors' doors opening and closing as people head to the beach or pool to reserve chairs. You must turn in used towels to get fresh ones daily. This is done at the pool. Never did we have a problem with not being able to get new/fresh towels. If you don't reserve your chairs, by about 10:00 am, they are pretty much full. We got prime location right in front every day, but only because we were up early to get down and find our spots. It gets HOT on the beach, so finding a palapa or palm tree that casts some shade is a must! There is a bar right on the Ambar section of the beach and once again, there are hard working gals who trudge through the sand to take orders and deliver delicious drinks, always with a smile. They expect nothing, but even a dollar or two goes a long way. There are vendors who walk around the beach as well as excursion/tour operators looking to sell their services, but as long as you don't make eye contact they won't bother you. There was one gentleman that walked around and cut open a coconut for you to drink fresh coconut water from if you wanted. He did expect a tip. Just something fun to try. We spent all of our time at the beach and only went to the pool once or twice a day for a few minutes for a change of scenery. You could go to a pool anytime. When can you lay on a beautiful beach, listening to the waves, watching unique and interesting people from all over the world stroll along without a care in the world? It was a wonderful trip at an impeccable resort. I would highly recommend to friends, family and strangers. We hope to be able to return again someday and will stay much longer next time!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 4toFlorida
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar as your 10th anniversary destination. We are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program, which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon for a longer time to provide you a wonderful trip with the most gorgeous and breathtaking beach.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Tallmadge, Ohio
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This past February was our second stay at this resort. I love this Adults Only Resort!!! Our entire stay was great from beginning to end. The rooms were always clean and stocked. We loved the shows and the Apple dinner. The staff was exceptional and helpful. Everyone always said hello to us. The Butlers Robert and Emanuel were always eager and willing to help with anything we needed. They always had smiles on their faces and we knew we were in good hands. The food was great! Buffet Server Katy was one of the nicest and sweetest people we met during our stay. Between Robert, Emanuel and Katy we felt like we were part of the family and at "home". I can not wait to book our trip for next year!!!

Room Tip: We love Building 60 by the Pool and beach. It was a farther walk to the reception area and buffet bu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mandy1717
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Mandy,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen for second time one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. Robert, Emanuel, and Katy will be proud to know that with their exceptional work, made you feel as home, and please be assured that you are already part from our Bahia Principe family.

Looking forward to seeing you soon next year!

Best regards,

Boston
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Unfortunately it is also our final vacation at the Ambar as well. We returned in Feb. after last years’ excellent experience. We booked seven months in advance and confirmed ten days prior to arrival. After shoveling out after a blizzard in Boston we were looking forward to a nice week without stress in Punta Cana. Upon arrival at noon we were told there were no rooms available in the resort and they were putting us in the Bavaro section .The next 26 hours provided me with enough stress to last the remainder of the week. After considerable discussion we were moved to the Ambar the next day. Oddly enough they try to make it seem like they are doing you a favor by putting you in the property that you already reserved and paid for. Once we were settled in, the rest of the vacation went smoothly ,thanks to beautiful weather and finding a bunch of our Canadian friends from our previous trip to Ambar. The pool staff placed laminated cards on the chairs at the pool explaining the rules concerning the towel game, but only for the first two mornings and never again for the rest of the week which led to some issues for people later in the week. The beach palapas were plentiful in the morning, even after breakfast. Room , food and drinks and WiFi were all excellent. All in all it’s still a nice resort once you can get in. We had originally planned on returning in April, but we were hard pressed to find anyone that could assure us that we wouldn’t be confronted with the same overbooking issue again. Given that uncertainty we just booked the Iberostar Grand Paraiso for our April school vacation week. They insist that they will hold our room for us. I can only pray.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank IslandmonBoston
Dear Guest,

We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced. Even though you feel a bad breath with this unfortunate situation, we are seriously committed to the achievement of our guests' satisfaction, because your opinion is one of our top priorities and we do not want you to have a mistaken perception from us. For this reason, we really hope to consider coming back to this Caribbean paradise in the Dominican Republic and enjoy all our facilities and services.

Kind regards,

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel was amazing! We looked at staying at their other hotel Esmeralda and am so glad we didn't. For all you single couples the Ambar is perfect. The wait staff is awesome they were always there before you even knew you needed them filling your glass and taking your dirty plate. There is a private beach just for Ambar guests. We emailed are room request and ala carte restaurant requests 2 weeks before and we got everything we requested. Highly recommend the 6000 building we stayed in room 60309 it is a corner suite on the 3rd floor near the pool and beach. The bed was bigger than a king and had a desk, couch and dining table. This is a very clean and accommodating hotel. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: 6000 building is near the pool and beach. Thursday night at the buffet is seafood night lobster, mus...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Rachel S
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Rachel,

It is a pleasure to read that you were glad and delighted on choosing our adult only hotel for your vacations. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your stay become an unforgettable experience, and it is wonderful to know that you enjoyed an amazing time with us.

Regards from the entire team working at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar!

Olympia, Washington, United States
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 7 nights in mid November 2012. We were looking for an adults only in P.C., and after some internet research, we went with the Ambar. We don't have anything bad to say about the place. The food selection was very good, from buffets to their numerous restaurants, the quality was above average, and the reservations were painless (take some nice clothes… dress code). They had top notch alcohol which is a rarity at many all inclusives, and a big plus for me :-). The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The pool was huge, clean, and a great place to spend an afternoon. The beach was great, powdery sand, and we had no problem finding chairs near the water any time of day. The ocean was warm and relatively calm; we bobbed around in there plenty. The room was nice, and well kept. I gave the kid that stocked the fridge a ten spot the first day; we had plenty of bottled water and a few extra “adult beverages” every day.

The only thing that kind of bummed me out was that they didn't have a real hot-tub. They had these 3 circular sitting areas that looked like large hot-tubs, but they were open to, and fed by the pool. It was kind of strange... same temp as the pool. That is really my only quasi knock on the place.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a week away from the kids, on a nice beach, at a nice resort, we would highly recommend the Ambar.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank FITZCORE1252
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for recommending us and for highlighting our vary gastronomic offer. It is a wonderful to know that you enjoyed during November our adults only all-inclusive resort.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again and continue demonstrating you the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

Warm greetings,