Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #51 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed at the Ambar from Feb 7 to the 16th 2013 and we enjoyed it very much. The hotel was very clean.The workers were all very friendly and put us at ease.Emmanuel was our go to guy and he gave us everything we asked for and more. The first night he ran us a bubble bath and there were flowers everywhere... Every morning I had a fruit plate delivered and when we needed fresh milk for our coffee he was glad to personally bring it to our room for us.The food was fantastic, so many choices at the buffet and we ate a la carte most nights.We had a great vacation, nice hotel,great service,warm weather, and good people. I would recommend this hotel.

8  Thank sunsweet_13
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during Valentine´s celebration and stay with us.

Thank you for acknowledging Emmanuel. Please be assured that it is an honor and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to him. He will be very happy and delight to learn your comments. We appreciate guest comments and suggestions, now that is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience.

We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Got back on Feb 19 2013. All was great through Air Canada Vacations. Emma was very helpful and Guest Services was great. If you like sea food, the buffet ia amazing. The room smelled but was explained that it was just painted. They came and sprayed the walls with something and the smell was gone the following day. My first time there and would return without a doubt. The groungs are beautiful and we went to the beach at around 9:00 and was always able to get a hut. The lobby closes at 23:30, a little early but if you want action you can go to the other hotels on the grounds.(Bavaro, Punta Cana ).The only a la carte resturant that we liked was the french. The others are ok but not great. Next time we will spend more time at the buffet. The walls of the rooms seem to be paper thin. When other people close their doors you hear it clearly.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in villa 67. Right near the beach
5  Thank Mr V

Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

Your opinion is very important to us. It represents a challenge, an opportunity to improve our services, and maintain the magic that makes our dear customers choose for their holiday destination this paradise called Dominican Republic.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I want to preface this review by saying that we had a fantastic time at this beautiful resort. It may sound like I am nitpicking about minor things in my review, but I just want to be thorough.

Arrival/Room:

We flew into Punta Cana Airport (PUJ) and let me tell you, it was beautiful. The air was warm, the wind was blowing, and the sun was out. The shuttle ride from the airport to the resort can be described as (ahem*) interesting to say the least. Everyone is an aggressive driver and the people on scooters can best be described as gnats. If you scare easily, it may be best to just close your eyes. It is about a 30 min ride from the airport to the resort. Upon arriving at the resort, you take a long road to one of the two main lobbies where you are then brought to the Ambar Lobby (this resort is huge, it is comprised of about 5 smaller sections if I remember correctly) where you check in.

The first hiccup we encountered was the room reservation. We requested a room in one of the buildings by the pool on a high floor with a king bed (a tad demanding I will admit) and received a room in the building by the lobby on the middle floor with two double beds. When I inquired about the availability of other rooms, I was told they were full and would let me know the following day (this was understandable as we were there over Valentine’s Day). After staying the first night we decided not to move as it would have been an unnecessary hassle and we were more than comfortable where we were. The room was wonderful with a few exceptions. The beds are a bit on the hard side, and we woke up with a sore neck on more than one of the days. The digital clock in our room did not show the correct time and could not be set manually. We had to unplug it and plug it back in at exactly midnight to get it to start counting at 1200. Finally, the shower did not drain well as the floor was slanted so pools of water would form and they did not drain until the housekeeper came during the day. Also, it would have been nice if there was a fan/vent in the bathroom. Again, our stay was wonderful, and these are just minor inconveniences.

Beach/Pool:

The convenience of the beach and pool make me glad we chose Ambar over any of the other sections of the resort as the ambar section is for use by ambar residents only while the other 4 sections share the rest of the beach which was VERY crowded compared to ours. We never got out to the beach before 930-1000 and never had a problem finding two chairs together for us to lie on. Now, if you want the covered ones, it may not be a bad idea to get out there early and lay your towels on some, but this was not a big deal for us. There are servers that walk around with drinks but I would be sure to tip them or it may be a little while. The sand is warm and white; the water is cool and clear. All in all, the beach was amazing. Note that there are art and cigar solicitors that roam around that will bug you occasionally.

The pool was just as nice as the beach. Again, we never had a problem finding 2 chairs together and we never went to the pool until after lunch. There is both a walk up and a swim up bar with very friendly staff. I got hooked on the banana mammas while we were there. The local rum is Brugal and the beer is Presidente. The pool side games provide a fun distraction, and we never missed the 3pm Bingo Bongo game that offered prizes of rum and t shirts.

Staff:

The staff was spectacular. Many of them were multilingual and very friendly. If they spoke English, then they more than likely spoke French as well. We tipped our housekeeper $5 a day and came back to a room decorated with flowers every day.

Food:

This was my main issue with the resort. The food was so-so. Make sure you make reservations as soon as you check in as they require them and they fill up daily. I will note that we walked in to one of our reservations 2 hours early and were sat instantly. The breakfast and lunch buffets were good, but my issue was with the dinners. Every other place I have traveled to had an a la carte full menu, and this was not the case with Gran Bahia. In all the restaurants we ate at aside from the French and Japanese, the food was buffet style apps and deserts with an ordered entre. I don't know if this is common elsewhere, but I was not expecting it and did not care for it. I felt as though it devalued the dining experience. Other than that though, the food was prepared well and was good. Not great by any terms.

Entertainment/Excursions:

There are nightly shows on the resort that provide a fun way to spend an evening, and each lobby has a nightly event or dj to provide music/dancing along with ample drinks.
As for excursions, we toured Santo Domingo and went deep sea fishing. Santo Domingo was a great cultural experience seeing old buildings and learning a little history of the area. Deep sea fishing is fun too, but the water can get rough so bring your Dramamine if you tend to get sea sick. The highlight was seeing a cigar rolling plantation on the way back from Santo Domingo.

All in all, it was a fantastic getaway. I am not one to let a few minor setbacks ruin a good time. That said, I don't think I would return to this resort because of the food situation.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have larger balconies. Of course the buildings closest to the pool and beach are ideal...
3  Thank Joseph S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for our guests.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

Your observations are taking into great consideration and have been share with the General Manager of our Resort to analyze the points you mentioned.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Hotel and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was my first time at the ambar side . If you are thinking about going, GO. I can't wait to go back, the service is excellent. Rooms are clean, food is great, if you can't find something you like then your too picky, the restaurants are plentiful. (Gourmet and steak house was yummiest) got every reservation we asked for:)
The maids are friendly and we never had any trouble getting fresh, clean towels, the bar fridge was always stocked with goodies:)
The beach is beautiful, pools are excellent. They have servers going around and a few dollars they always come back to refill your drink, I like tipping and I fell they appreciate it and certainly deserve a few bucks. :))
The gardens are beautiful. Very well kept up.
I like this place because its clean! Which would be someting I would complain about If it were gross.
There's excellent shopping on the complex. Coffee is best priced at the resort not the airport. Even little souvenirs are best priced at the resort, unless you go do a excursion you may buy off the locals and bargain a good deal.
Overall, I've had an excellent stay, and would definitely return:))

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Sally U
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for mentioning the good aspects, such as clean rooms, great food, plentiful restaurants, beautiful beach, excellent pools, well-kept gardens, and excellent service.

At Bahía Príncipe our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations and, it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back to our Resort.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We went at Gran bahia principe ambar februrary 8-15 2013 and it was... PERFECT! The hotel is clean, good food, workers very nice. The beach is beautiful. It was probably the most wonderful vacation we had, after Greek Islands...! I'll go back there for sure! Yunior at the pool bar Los Corales is very funny, his co-workers are very nice too (see Yunior, I keep my promises!!)! I would recommand this hotel anytime!

3  Thank ValerieL346

Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from the entire team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays. Thank you for highlighting our clean premises, good food, and beautiful beach. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your stay become a wonderful experience.

Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our staff, especially to Yunior.

We would like to thank you for recommending us. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations and, it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back to our Resort.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed at Ambar from Feb 8th-Feb15th. When we arrived it was 2 pm, check in was not until 3, but the Ambar staff allowed us to change and use the resort. At 3 our butler took our luggage to our room. The first thing you notice about Ambar is how CLEAN everything is. There are staff members everywhere cleaning, fixing, smiling. Always a smile and a hello. We NEVER experienced an unhappy or unpleasant staff member the entire trip. Our room was large and spacious (not a corner room) it was very clean. The safe worked well. Maid service is very honest. One day I left my ipad plugged in on the dresser and our ipod out...it was all still there when we returned. We NEVER heard anything of anything going missing the entire week. The bar fridge was stocked as promised every day. Note, different people clean your room and stock your bar fridge. If you want extra in your bar fridge leave tips right in it.

The rooms are quiet, beds are very comfortable. Make use of the pillow menu!!!! Maid turndown service is a nice touch every evening. The room air conditioning is set VERY low, some people may want to adjust this at night so they dont freeze! Water pressure is great and they restock shampoo, soaps, towels....every day.

The "towel game" you hear so much about is alot of hype. YES, there are alot of people that head to the pool and private Ambar beach, but you can ALWAYS find a spot. This was never an issue. IF you are worried about getting a chair, head down early 8-9ish and place pool towels on chairs. Do everyone a favour and dont reserve more than you need. We noticed some people doing this on the first day. Its unfair and does cause "the towel game" issue. The pool bar is AMAZING. Staff at the pool bar rocks. Always a smile with promt service. The pool itself is clean and large. , Always activities going on at the pool too, arobics, bingo, zumba.....

The beach is GORGEOUS. Water was warm, but there was a strong undertow every afternoon. Beware if you are not a strong swimmer.

The food at Ambar is extremely well done. There is the normal run of the mill foods, lots of selection, fresh fruits, juices, salads, meats, dominican foods...to caviar and octopus and cheeses on the buffets. There is also a grill where they will make you literally anything you can ask for. The A la cartes are where its at though. Book these your day and you're set. The one i would rank the lowest is the italian. Highest was the Mexican....DELICIOUS! Everyone raves about the Don Pablo, but i found it just ok and SLOW. I think the slow service was due to the high amount of people in this restaurant though. If you are going to dine at the Don Pablo get an EARLY time.

The people at this resort are helpfull and friendly.
not a complaint. If you want the " i dont want to go home" feeling....go here. you will not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are nicer with bigger balconies.
9  Thank hildy4578
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to our rich gastronomy, as well as the good service from our employees. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your stay become an unforgettable experience.

We would like to thank you for mentioning our clean premises, comfortable rooms, well done food, gorgeous beach, and our amazing staff. It is a pleasure to forward such nice comments to all our staff, especially to our pool bar team.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was here in Feb 2013 for a long weekend. What I wanted was a beach, pool, clean rooms, and good food and drink. I did get most of that - but I wouldn't use the word 'luxury' to describe the Ambar.

Pros:
* The grounds were beautiful and very well kept, and the rooms were very clean.
* Alcohol was abundant (sometimes too much so).
* The staff was very friendly. Their English was so-so - but that's fine by me. This is a Spanish-speaking country after all! (and they were patient with my attempts at spanish!)
* The beach and pool areas were well maintained and had a lot of shady areas. There were few locals selling things on the beach - the staff seemed to have them under control.

Cons:
* I have no problem with hotels not having rooms ready when guests arrive early. I have a huge issue with 'luxury' hotels not having rooms ready at the posted check-in time.... or for several hours afterwards as was the case with my room (and even when I was told it was ready - it actually wasn't - housekeeping was still cleaning!)
* When room service is advertised at being available, in a luxury adults-only hotel, i expect more than nachos, hamburgers, club sandwiches, and a caesar salad.
* No map of the grounds is provided, so you are left wandering around to find restaurants, etc. Further, the restaurants within the complex are across about 4 resorts - so it is not easy to just pop over and check a place out. The rooms actually contained no info on the grounds at all - so you have no idea what kind of restaurants are even available unless you go to the lobby (or pay for in room wifi and search the internet!).
* Restaurant reservations can be made over the phone (but you have to call the operator for the number - none is provided) - but you end up talking to someone who is sitting in the lobby helping others at the same time, and they just tell you to come by. When you do - you wait for a long time while everyone else in the resort is also trying to make reservations. 2 reservationists handling all the guests is not sufficient. I don't want to spend my vacation waiting in lines to book a restaurant reservation - which, by the way - fill up quickly (frustrating because when you arrive at the restaurants, they are half empty - and because not all the restaurants are open on a Friday night!)
* The food, at both the buffets and restaurants, was nothing memorable at all (only Vegas has perfected the art of not overcooking buffet items!). The food wasn't necessarily bad - just not great. I was surprised that the lunch buffet had mainly hamburgers, hot dogs, and a meager salad bar - which would be fine at a family resort, but a luxury adult-only resort? I eat like an adult - even when on vacation. I came home craving a huge salad!!
* Whenever you walked through the lobby, you were accosted by staff looking to 'sell' you on their preferred guest program. Although I expected this from other reviews, this was still annoying. If I want info on the program, I'll ask - I don't need to be stopped each time I walked through the lobby.

I still had a great time here, but am glad I only spent a long weekend. I could not have done more that that. Don't get me wrong - if you are looking for a place to relax and are fine with what i've listed as cons, don't rule this place out. A lot of folks I met at the resort had been vacationing there for years and love it - this just is not the place for me.

I've been to a lot of luxury and non-luxury resorts/hotels - this just falls into the latter category. My rating is more reflective of the experience relative to the 4-star luxury advertising of the resort than anything else.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sabrina A

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback, as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for our guests.

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel.

Regarding your comments about the quality of our food, we would like to point out that our menus are composed by carefully selected products, and done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Every night, at our buffets, we have a different gastronomic offer. We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained, concerning the quality and variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner services, has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our quality questionnaires. We regret to hear that your perception in this matter was not positive.

Please allow us to remark that in the welcome package we provide our guests a site plan of our complex, general information for further assistance, and entertainment programs.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort to analyze the points you mentioned.

We are glad to find out that there were some aspects from our services you find worth to highlight especially our beautiful grounds, clean rooms, friendly staff, and well maintained beach and pool areas.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again to demonstrate the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years, and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have.