My spouse and I had not been on a vacation in many, many moons and the Bahai Principe Ambar has certainly set our bar high for the next one. We were there for two weeks mid to late April 2012.
We arrived at noon and were aware that check-in time was not until 3 pm so we just changed into something cool (really humid) and spent some time wandering around the resort to get a feel for where things were - by 2 pm our room was ready.
Our room was amazing - bright, clean and the bar was always well stocked. We did leave a tip for housekeeping - a couple of dollars or sometimes, hair accessories, toothbrush & toothpaste or every children's items.
The room was always clean with beautiful hibiscus on the bed and in the bathroom daily.
We are not Spanish so communication was sometimes a little challenging but you have to remember something about when you are travelling, you are not in your home country so the language can be different depending on what you speak. However we made every effort to try to learn some of the lingo and by making the effort, the resort staff made more of an effort to try to communicate with us if we didn't understand. In doing so, we made more friends and everyone was even more hospitable than they already were.
Couldn't complain about the weather - in the 2 weeks that we were there, there was only one day when it really rained - litterally POURED, up until around 1:30 - after that, the sun shining again.
We pretty much stuck to the Ambar resort itself. Love kids but it was nice not to have any around for the brief time we were there. On the odd occasion when someone not from the Ambar wandered in, they were quickly escorted out in a very cordial manner.
The shows each night were very well done!! Casino was small but then, we were there to enjoy the sun not the inside of a casino.
There are a lot of excursions to do and since we were there for 2 weeks, we did one every second day and all but one was a half day. The most amazing was swimming with the dolphins - out in an ocean setting, only 4 couples with 2 dolphins.
A couple of things to remember:
- pool chairs are on a 1st come 1st serve basis and people would put their towels or belonings on a chair at 7 am and then go off to have breakfast BUT, if you do that before 8 am, security will take your stuff as the pool doesn't open until then
- if you wanted to get some US dollars, the bank machines only give out peso - we had to take a taxi over to the hardrock cafe to go to the casino there to get US $$.
- make sure you take some anti-histamines and maybe some hydacortisone with you. A few people there were getting sand flee bites. I got a few mid-second week and they are itchy beyond belief and really swell up. Had to get some anti-histamines from the pharmacy there (12 for $24.00) - it took the itching away but the bites didn't go away for a couple of weeks.
Aside from that, it was one of the most awesome trips that I've taken. When leaving there is a questionnaire to complete - feedback for them - the only negative thing that we could say is that we had to leave to go home!
Wouldn't hesitate to go back again!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 1 pool Sun terrace with sun umbrellas and loungers Relaxation zone with Bali beds Outdoor Jacuzzi BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 3 tennis courts, multi-sports court Water activity centre Motorised water sports (additionalcharge) WiFi access in the lobby (free) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment amphitheatre Wedding gazebo 1 buffetrestaurant 3 speciality restaurants 4 bars 1 snack- bar Gazebo de bodas Smokers' lounge with bar service (cigar menu with additional charge) Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Punta Blanca Golf Club, designed by Nick Price (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, karaoke, disco and casino. Rooms 528 Deluxe Junior Suites Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Ceiling fan Air conditioning Sitting area with sofa Terrace Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub and separate shower, hair dryer Bathrobe and slippers Don Pablo Collection amenities Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Alarm clock with iPod docking station Flat screen TV Coffee-making machine Minibar Safe Butler service 24 hour room service Evening turndown service Pillow menu 2 disabled rooms for a maximum of 3 adults Prime location right on the sea front Exclusive lake-style pool Aroma menu WiFi (additional charge) Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Booking.com, Odigeo, Otel, Despegar.com, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Ambar Hotel Punta Cana