Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue
Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$371
$335
$261
  • Breakfast included
Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$370
$315
  • Breakfast included
Occidental Caribe(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$160
$125
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$328
$230
Melia Caribe Tropical(Bavaro)
$205
$160
  • Breakfast included
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$516
$403
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$346
$242
$465
$311
Bookit.com
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$259
$202
10,923 results
All reviewsdon pablocorner roompalmyra buffeta la carte restaurantsel olivioguest servicesgarden grillother resortslobby barbavaro lobbyprivilege clubroom requesttowel gamedinner reservationslobsteradults only sectiont shirts
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have just returned from two weeks at the Ambar and had a wonderful time.We stayed in the Punta Cana Gold section last year and would definately recommend the upgrade to the Ambar as you just get that bit more and it is more intimate, the restuarants are better and the beach is wonderful. We had excellent weather and I would definately return during the month of October as it is low season so not so many people about, great weather and cooler of an evening which was lovely compared to August.

Positives:
Room spacious. Don't bother bringing your hairdryer as they have one in the bathroom which is adequate and mine did not work very well anyway due to different voltage! We did request a top floor corner room in block 60,64,67 with view of pool or ocean. We did get top floor room in block 64 with a view of the corner room in opposite block that had the view of pool and ocean!! This was actually really funny and we had a good laugh at this for a couple of days and I have to say the view from our room over the gardens of all the different palm trees was wonderful, there are so many different types!! I knew it was only a request and may not be met and I was not dissapointed in the least because they did their best.

Restuarants were all really lovely, we ate in all the Ala Cartes in Ambar and Esmerelda and enjoyed them all, also Maiko - excellent. The Ambar Buffet was really lovely, we would go in aboput 9pm and it was really quite quiet then and intimate. Food was always hot and plentiful. Something to suite everyone and our wine glasses were always topped up before they had chance to be empty.

Pool and Beach. We had no probelms getting beds in the shade on the beach every day or around by the pool if we returned later in day. I really enjoyed being able to walk between the pool and beach rather than having quite a treck between the two which can be the case in the other sections depending on which pool you use.

Staff: Well what can I say once again the Dominican people amaze me, they are so happy, chilled, friendly and always smiling!! Probably because they have such a beautiful country.ThinkI 'd be like that if I lived there too! Every member of staff we came into contact with was wonderful, I never met anyone who was miserable or rude. I can't remember all the names of staff we met but I would like to say a big thank you to all of them, especially Alahandro for cleaning our room every day, Francisco in a few of restuarants, so friendly and finally Thomas on guest services who was so helpful, knowledgeable and funny!! Yes we were soooooo on vacation Thomas!

Negatives
Only a couple of things but worthy of a mention. The noise around the pool in the afternoon spoiled it for me, very loud music. If I want loud music I can walk up to the big party pool. I am in Adult only and perhaps a little bit more exclusive and therefore perhaps just peace and quiet and making own entertainment chatting to people if I so wish. I didn't apreciate the boom, boom, boom for a good few hours every afternoon.

This is a really picky one but I was surprised by the quality of the burgers in the restuarant by the pool. They tasted like frozen, re-processed burgers...really awful I thought!! I would have expected 100% beef and cooked on that wonderful BBQ! It's not something I eat very often but if I do I want a quality burger and I know a lot of people love to eat burgers

Finally there were quite a lot of management who I think had come over from
Spain,(sure they were not Domincan management) checking out the hotel restuarants etc. I did find them quite rude to be honest, standing around watching everything and never smiling at the customers or staff. I also observed them eating in the buffet a couple of evenings quite late like us and I was surprised by the way they had the staff running around after them without so much as looking at or smiling at the staff member. To be honest I actually though they were quite rude and they need to remember that without your customers and staff you have no hotel so perhaps a little bit more courtesy and respect especially to all those hard working satff who do such a great job could be demonstrated in future. Just my opinion!!

All in all a fantastic time and we made some wonderful new friends. We will be back next year for sure!!

Room Tip: Remember a request is just that... a request.........there is no such thing as a bad room or bad view
4  Thank mccauleygirls
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises especially because of the friendliness of our staff members. Please be assured that your wonderful comments will be forwarded to Thomas, Alejandro and Francisco.

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations during your stay in our Ambar Hotel and be assured that it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Regards from Bavaro.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Well we must say this was our second time to The Gran Bahia Principe. But Ambar is top notch!! From the rooms, to the restaurants, service excellent. Even though Hurricane Sandy decided to stop by!!! The Animation team was awesome!!!! Trying to make the best of it. They are fun Oh My Gawwwdddd Jose!!! He's the best!!! We luv you :D. We will definately be back!!

Gino & Shelley
Ottawa
October 20-27

• Stayed: October 2012
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen once again one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. It is a real pleasure to learn that you could enjoy a nice time together during your last stay with us.

Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our Ambar staff, especially to Jose.

As a repeater client your opinion is very important to us. Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just got back from this hotel and must admit it is a chalk and cheese hotel, however my views maybe slightly obscured by the 4 days I spent in bed with a dodgy stomach along with a few others, however it may have nothing to do with the hotel.

Rooms

Large and well appointed , shower worked well along with the bath. Ac worked well but was noisy at all but the slowest speed this was supplemented by a standard ceiling mounted fan. Bathroom extract was poor to non-existent with the mirrors steaming up not a problem if you are a man but as the light is poor in the main living area, the lady’s need to use the bathroom for hair etc. and the mirror steamed up, small point but make sure the bathroom extract works

Lobby

Fine good service, excellent Wi-Fi, but sad to see so little communication between some couples with their head stuck in laptops etc., some light entertainment at night

Pool And Beach

Fantastic pool with some entertainment in the afternoon a bit loud if you were close but easy to escape. Beach well groomed excellent.

Buffet fantastic at Breakfast large choice, in the evening what a let-down in fact until this improves will not return, choice is there but chaotic, luke warm, show cooking, food cooked and within seconds all gone, so you wait and as soon as it is placed on to servers people barge in.
How to improve it, I do not know but a significant disappointment.

Resort in general is massive but easy to walk around, transport is available with minimal waiting, staff are happy with some communication issues if you don’t speak Spanish, but let’s put it this way there English is better than my Spanish

Tipping

Not expected but appreciated

5  Thank Ian S
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Guest,

Recieve cordial greetings from all the team working at Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at The Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any misperception you may have about us.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My 4th visit to DR, this time with my dear wife. Hotel is excellent and well maintained. Property is huge (several Gran Bahia resorts on it), however transportation carts/trains run regularly and you would stay around your resort most of the time anyway, except for evening entertainment on central stage (Tropicana) or additional a la carte restaurants.

Ambar is great as couples only. Beach is very good and kept clean most of the day (algae starts accumulating closer to the evening due to waves). No problem getting a spot under palm trees. Didn't bother with the pool at all.

Buffet is great. A la carte restaurants - hit and miss, but that's mostly due to us trying different ones all over resort (as allowed if you are an Ambar guest). We tried 4 - here are my comments on each (starting with the best):
- Bella Italia - an absolutely excellent Italian spot; totally worth your time!
- Maiko - good Japanese cooking presentation, good variety - definitely to try!
- Don Pablo - good overall
- El Pescador - don't bother... you will be disappointed, especially when compared to others

Service is great. I have requested specific room and a la carte restaurants - got exactly what I asked on arrival. Bartenders and waiters are great, cleaning staff is thorough, management is attentive... what more to ask?!

Recommended.

1  Thank r1ogrande
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear Client,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Ambar Hotel.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to our rich gastronomy as well as the good service from our employees. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your stay become an unforgettable experience.

Looking forward to seeing you soon and welcome you once again!

Regards from Bavaro!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Food was terrible, tasted all the same. My husband got terrible ill from the food and was sick the entire time (Not even any medication I brought would stop it), and still is sick. We talked with a few other couples and they experienced the same thing. When cooking at the Japaneese restaurant they cooked all meats on the same slab and would go from raw chicken to beef - cross contamination much??
Our bed was HORRIBLE, definitly not a pillow top and when called and asked for more towels we had to wait 4hrs for someone to bring them up.
There was also multiple Ghecko's that got into our room somehow, and those things are hard to get out.
We also experienced one of the staff trying to rope us into a time share, thankfully we knew better and did not attend.
The pool and ocean were gorgeous however waiting 20minutes for a drink was a little much.. I could walk up quicker then waiting for the drink to come.
I found the Bus Stops and the several different complexs on this resort to be VERY confusing and found myself not wanting to stray to far from the known.

All in all, I dont' think that we will return to Ambar again. This was my first all inclusive trip and I can honestly say that it was not at all like I had anticipated it, or as others had desbribed. My husbands mother and best friend recommened this resort and it did NOT live up to what they had thought of this.

3  Thank 123,456,789,930

Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Regarding your comments about your experience, allows us inform you that on those days and taking into account the high occupancy, we cannot conclude that our hotel is the causative of your illness. Our hotel follows a very strict hygiene, quality and security program monitored by the international company Crystal. Anyway we remain at your disposal for any question or assistance you may need.

Please allow us to remark that our guests' health and well-being are our top priorities and we follow a very strict program of cleaning, and constant monitoring of all standards of quality in our Hotel. Moreover, the rooms are subject to a very strict supervision.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort and we will give the proper attention.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at our hotel and that way be able to change any misperception you may have.

Kind regards,