11,000 results
All reviews don pablo corner room palmyra buffet a la carte restaurants el olivio guest services garden grill other resorts lobby bar privilege club towel game room request dinner reservations lobster adults only section bavaro section t shirts
Reviewed April 12, 2011

To start my trip was delayed one day by the Airline. When I arrived at the Amber a day late I was told I did not have a room, then had to spend the night at the other hotel. The other was really nice but there were screaming kids. The next day at around 2:00 we finally got to our room in Amber. So pretty much 3 days of the vacation wrote off. But after that just loved the resort, for the most part friendly staff (thanks for your help Vincent) the food was great and my room was clean (except for the smell now and then). The only complaints would be that the security keep the kids out of the pool area and the people who dont belong to that resort as space and chairs are limited and also the Amber is more expensive so if they want to be at that pool pay the rates. When we arrived we were not greeted or offered something to drink as it says. Our room was excellent overlooking the water and the pool and close to the snackbar. My wife and I went to the market area near the lobbeys of the Bavaro and she was physically grabbed by one of the sales persons so becareful.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coadster
Reviewed April 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Ambar March 2011 for 6 nights. Driving into the Gran Bahia property (which is HUGE) we were taken aback by the number of people staying at the resort. This place is monstrous, but the best part of the Ambar is that you are separated from the rest of the resort and the Ambar buildings are the closest to the beach.
The service is pretty awful - Carolina at the front desk was the only helpful and professional person we met. Everyone else either doesn't speak a word of English, expect you to tip up front for decent service or just completely ignore you.
The best part of the Ambar is the proximity to the beach and the abundance of chairs and umbrellas on the beach. But I don't want to get your hopes up - I woke up at 6AM each morning to reserve an umbrella close to the water. On the plus side, the Punta Cana sunrises are beautiful, so waking up that early wasn't so bad.
The worst part of the Ambar is the food. My husband and I live in Manhattan, we dine at amazing restaurants and we're used to eating high-quality food every day. So if you don't mind recycled food, lowest-quality alcohol and the same buffet choices everyday, then you'll be fine at the Ambar. If not, you'll most likely be complaining about not eating much.
The rooms are OK, but for some reason lots of people say the bathroom smells moldy, and it's true. We stayed in 2 different rooms and both had funky-smelling bathrooms, so that's probably a recurring theme here. Not much you can do about it though.
I haven't stayed anywhere else in Punta Cana, but there a plenty of all-inclusives to choose from. The Majestic looked pretty good from the beach side and so did Paradisus, but I'm not sure how different all-inclusives can be in the same beach town.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed April 9, 2011

First time to Punta Cana and what can I say it was truly amazing. Before our trip we read many reviews about the Ambar but went with an open mind. It was by far an amazingly clean resort, rooms were clean and well looked after, staff was friendly and courteous. Grounds were well looked after and clean, we had dinner at the Gourmet Restaurant and both times meals were excellent, also at at the Italian Restaurant in the Esmeralda section it was very good as well. Buffet restaurant was good too. Beaches were gorgeous and go for miles. If I had one tip that I wish I would of known before going, is if you want a hut at the pool you must stay there until 8am to save one otherwise you don't get one, there is no saving chairs..which is good, however, we wish we would of known about the chairs we would of taken turns staying there to have a hut to shield us from the sun, we didn't find out until our last day there.
The Ambar is a great place to go if you want to rest and avoid the craziness of kids running around, which is what we really enjoyed...
Definitely going back next year..already starting our plans.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stuckinthecold
Reviewed April 8, 2011

My hubby and I just arrived today from a week of vacation at the Ambar. Overall, we had a very enjoyable time, the weather was FABULOUS and we had great fun at the beach/pool area. We received a lot of value for the money we paid, but, that is because WE made it so, despite the sub-par service we got from the resort. Yes, it is a 5 stars hotel, with a 5 stars buffet, BUT....this resort lacks class, refinement and sophistication. As mentioned earlier, one gets A LOT for the money paid, but at the same time, this unfortunately attracts lower end crowds that tend to be very noisy, loud, rowdy, rude and drunken prone (especially around the pool area in the afternoon).

The buffet food (lunch and dinner) was good enough (breakfast was LOUSY), with the Thursday Gala night being the best. The a la carte restaurants are nothing else but a form of upgraded buffet and nothing close to gourmet food though. The staff service did the work it was required but the waiters NEVER went out of their way to meet some basic and easy requests if the latter were not part of their usual routines (ex: requesting cream for coffee/tea instead of milk). We never went out of our way to tip them extra!

The room we got was NOTHING close to what we requested (we had asked for a room located in a quiet area). The management gave us a room in building 70, just a few feet away from the reception area which tends to be noisy after dinner until late in the evening. Furthermore, in the afternoon, the workers would hang out just across from our room for their afternoon breaks. They talked very loudly, opened and closed their closet-meeting door like it was a 711 convenience store. We hardly ever got a good nap in the afternoon due to all the noise. Speaking of sleep, the bed and pillows were soooo hard and bad that my hubby and I often woke up with a back pain most mornings. Don't get me started with the cheap TV that was in the room. We rarely hung out in our room in any event but we'd usually enjoy an hour of TV before going to bed and that one day we stayed in because my hubby was sick from the food poisoning (he was not the only one apparently). In any event, check it out and you'll see what I mean by the TV being a real joke.

One thing this resort gets extra, extra points and was always consistent in providing was its immaculate and well groomed grounds. A lot of attention was given to their maintenance, upkeep, beauty, cleanness and tidiness. The reception/lounge and pool areas were simply gorgeous.

In any event, hubby and I still managed to have a great vacation and we did not let all the negatives and especially the unfriendly service deter us from enjoying our time together in a spectacular environment.

Would I recommend this place - YES, if you do not have a lot of money to spend and want to get LOTS of value for your dollar, do not mind sub-par service and pockets of lower end guests, and your expectations for food, drinks and comfort are low. NO, if you are looking for more class, refinement, higher attention to details and a touch of "upscale" feel.

Would I go back - not yet...we will definitely be going back to Punta Cana in the next few months but will stay at the Majestic Elegance that is located just a few distances away. We got to visit and tour that facility and the resort speaks CLASS (similar to a Sandals feel). The Ambar beach is pretty - the Majestic Elegance beach is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS.

You take whatever you want from this critique. In the end, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder and to each its own to create its own fun/enjoyment.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2011

We have just returned from a wonderful week at the Ambar. Twenty minutes from the airport. Check-in when very quickly with a short (5 minute) talk and an envelope with your room key, map and wrist band. Rooms were not available until 3pm so pack your beachwear with your carry-on. The resort was spotless and the staff was very friendly. The beds were very comfortable You can select unlimited specialty restaurants for your dinners. The main buffet was very good. The Spanish Restaurant was getting the poor reviews from fellow visitors. The beach was somewhat crowded but there were plenty of beach chairs.
You can walk the entire length of the resort in 3 minutes and if you had to leave the Ambar, for a specialty restaurant, the small trams ran every 5-10 minutes.
We have travelled to a few resorts and this was the nicest and best value.
TIPS- The straw market is a 40-minute walk along the beach, be prepared to get your typical harassment....but always worth a look. The hotel shampoo is poor...bring your own. Men, bring one pair of casual dress pants for the more formal dining. Expect to tip $70-$100...it is not required but appreciated. If you go to the CRC shopping store (as suggested by our tour rep.) be prepared to waste an afternoon...the tour company obviously gets a "kick-back" and you have to remain at the small shop for 2 hours before the shuttle will return you to your resort.
WE WILL RETURN TO THIS RESORT FOR A QUIET AND RELAXING HOLIDAY.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple