“Juts waitng to go back!!!!!!!”

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #64 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Puerto Rico
“Juts waitng to go back!!!!!!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2009

Yeah.... I went last year to this hotel!!! this was my 3 time in punta cana and I just loved it!!! I was so scared of not getting what I wanted. But it was great!!! and I wish this year I could sing agian!! volvere eeee volvere eee!!!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Zitroleiram

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,472)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
CT, USA
Reviewed April 15, 2009

Just recently returned from the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana. I went with my girlfriend and 5 other friends. We all had a blast.

Service - All of the people that we dealt with genuinely tried to help us with our inquiries. Yes, some can speak better English than others, but if you know even broken Spanish then you will help yourself two-fold. One, you guys might be able to get on the same page, and two the staff will sincerely appreciate your effort better and treat you better as a result. Tipped the maid $5 a day and my room was stuffed with bottled water and beer no later than 2pm. With respect to maid service, this resort is huge, give them an incentive to do your room first, and they will. Lastly, the service at the main Lobby bar/sitting area was amazing. We made sure Martina was our server each night after the first one and she treated us very well, and we tipped extremely well in return. Restaurant Staff for the specialty restaurants was great was well. Really no complaints on the Service side.

Value - This is an all-inclusive with decent food at the buffet and well above-average food at the restaurants we went to. We followed peoples recommendations and did the Hibachi, Steak, and Mexican Restaurants. All were great. The buffet is definitely fine for your average meal and there is a wide array of foods there for anyone to eat. My one complaint is the beer on Tap. El Presidente is not a good beer, especially out in the sun. I recommend asking for Brahma cans in your fridge (Tastes like Bud). Yes they do only use local liquor, but it honestly tastes fine, so people can relax. You're on an all-inclusive resort, not the Ritz. If you want your high-end vodka/rum/whiskey, go somewhere else. Word to the wise, place your restaurant reservations early online. It's the best way to ensure you get the more popular, and better quality restaurants on the resort. If you call Guest Services they will provide you with the e-mail address. This may take a day or so to do, but doing it the week before you arrive is almost a must, especially for a larger party/family.

Location - The beach is amazing and the resort is one of the best manicured resorts I've ever seen. I really haven't seen that many, but it was the best. They definitely care about how the asthetics look on the resort. A decent ride to and from the resort, especially since our bus had to stop at other resorts, but it's fine. You just spent a few hours on a plane, what's another 30 minutes going to hurt you?

Cleanliness/Rooms - We only had 1 bug situation at a dinner table when a cockroach fell from the sky at our first dinner buffet, but we all thought this was hilarious and it was nowhere near our food. This never happened again. Our rooms were spotless. Bathrooms are incredibly clean and well maintained. Jacuzzi tub is nice, especially when hungover. You might need extra pillows as the ones they provide are a bit small, and they only give you 2 or 3 to start. We left a note asking for 2 more with the tip of the day and it was sitting there when we came back from dinner.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Mississauga
Reviewed April 15, 2009

We just returned from GBP Royal Golden club for 2 weeks, and had a wonderful vacation. I read many reviews (taken with a grain of salt) and asked alot of questions so I was very prepared for our stay. This resort is very big, and on the first day you may think you made the wrong choice, but after you make an effort to familiarize yourself with the resort layout, you'll be fine.
Check-in:
As soon as we arrived at our bus at the airport our envelope with room cards, bracelets was given to us, and when we arrived at the resort, we were asked to stop in the Golden Club Reception to confirm if our room was ready, and it was. We were off to our room in a matter of minutes upon our arrival ... that was 5 star service!!
Room:
Clean, spacious, nicely furnished (3rd floor, great exercise). We later returned to the Golden Club to pay for the safe, so as a tip I would suggest doing this at check-in. Our safe didn't work at first, so I called for service and someone came by within about 30 minutes and fixed it in 2 min, at such a large resort, I was impressed. Our maid Denora was friendly, helpful, and always had a smile. We truly appreciated her hard work and towel creations!
Beach:
We stayed to the right side of the resort beachfront (when facing the shipwreck). We love the ocean, and our kids loved the waves, boogie boards, and snorkeling. We would get to the beach fairly early 5:30am to get a palapa, especially for our kids, and spent the entire time at the beach/ocean but on one occasion while we went to lunch our palapa was overcome by new arrivals when my husband approached them they said that they didn't see any sign, (uh duh... did you see our stuff... ) ...one of our towels mysteriously disappeared and when I asked them about it they denied taking a towel, how can I believe them not taking a towel, when they take our palapa... they spoke german and would laugh aloud, but when my son resumed making his sand castle next to them, an elder lady (whose brain was less then that of a 7 yr old) threw some sand at him, and I quickly told her to stop or I'd call security, let just say they left after that... later that night at the buffet, she was going to cut in front of me but when she looked up and saw me, she did a 360 to the end of the line... rude people what can you do, definitely not the resorts fault, but I'm sure they'll run into their own kind....
Pool:
Here's my recommendation, avoid the swim up pools! We only went to the pools 3 times, and avoided them completely after my youngest drank a little too much water, and left the pool not feeling very well. Later that night, we went to the japanese restaurant, he didn't feel like eating, and when he had one bite of the rice, lets just say he had his moment... I felt terrible for the others in our group, but the staff were very helpful and according to my husband sent in an army to clean up.
Food:
One of our main reasons for choosing this resort was the variety of ala-cartes, and food options, and it did not disapoint. We had access to 8 ala-carte's since we were there for 2 weeks, but only booked 4, and actually went to 3. Japanese was very unique and a must, Grillhouse steak was also great, I was surprised how casual (some guests wore jeans), and it was outdoor buffet. French was good, but definitely you're traditional 1 potatoe, 1 carrot, 1 peice of meat... :) nicely decorated plates! We missed our El Pescador reservation, due to me not knowing what day it was... we showed up the following night and when they pointed out the date, we headed for the buffet... which we didn't mind. We decided not to book the other 4, since they had so much variety at the buffet and let me tell you, the food was GREAT! Much better the Cuba or Mexico. Every night had a theme (Dominican night, Italian, Spanish, Dominican, Asian, Gala, etc) and you had a such variety from Crab/Seafood on Gala night, to Lobster on Dominican, to sushi on Asian. Both my kids loved the food and always had much to choose from (bonus for them was the Ketchup), bonus for me passion fruit, breakfast, lunch, dinner :) wow what a great surprise...My husband enjoys good food, and wine (vitamina "V"), and thanks to Jaime, and Martina, and all the staff who made our stay very enjoyable. We enjoyed tipping and didn't find it necessary (like Cuba) to get good service but enjoyed doing it because of the great service!
Bars:
Lobby bar was very relaxing in the evening, Cafe Diablo was great and memorable. During the day Rafael will make you anything with a smile, he truly loves his country and that's very nice to see. Beach and pool bars, also great service, the menus and daily special drink of the day was great and allowed us to try many new drinks, which was alot of fun...
Market:
Deals to be had, but stick to your price, if they don't accept, move on to the next one. We went 3 times, and found that early in the morning (about 9am) they start to open, and are looking for the 1st sale of the day, which is good, will bring them good luck the rest of the day. They start prices very high even compared to the resort, but if you say I'll give you $5, that's all I have, they come down & sell. Both my husband and I speak portuguese, and found that if they think you are European the prices tend to be higher. We got some great deals at the GBP beach vendors also, bought 3 pareos of better quality then the market 3 for $30 (originally she was asking $15 each), and saw someone else pay 2 for $25. So do negotiate and have fun.
Overall we had a fantastic time, the Dominican people are very nice people, very friendly, and hospitable. My only concern on returning to this resort would be the impact of the new addition (Bahia Esmeralda) on the already crowded beach.
Gracias GBP!!

McDonough GA
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We just got back from 6 days at the GBP. I rely on Trip Advisor a lot, so I will try and be descriptive so that others can make a good decision. I would classify this place as a huge resort with a ton of people. It's well located. I would call it a cruise ship experience on land. You will see people here trash the resort, and while it's not a 5 star experience, it's not that bad - those people need to get a life.

Arrival - Pretty smooth. You land at Punta Cana airport - very easy,new airport. Walk down the plane steps, pay $10 each to get in the country, passports, bags, and to your tour company transport. There will be guys who will jump on you to take your bags from the conveyer to the bus you are on...it's fine, but you don't need it. It's really just a few feet.

Check in - If you don't have an issue with your reservation, then no problem. There is definitely a language barrier unless you find a manager type. BIG TIP - DEFINITELY UPGRADE TO GOLDEN. IT'S NOT THAT MUCH AND YOU GET YOUR OWN CHECK IN AREA WHICH IS NICE AND CLOSE TO THE BEACH.

We had a problem between our travel company (GoGo - they suck) and the hotel, but it wasn't the hotels fault and they tried to help, so fine there. Once we were good, they took us to the Golden Check in Area which is private and nice.

Rooms - They are all the same. Plenty big, comfortable, and OK. Not luxurious, but nice. Minibar has a few sodas and a couple beers. That gets restocked every day. The TV has MANY channels, half US, half Spanish. The best rooms I think are near the beach. We were in 4104 - That was great. I can see if you are far away from the beach, taking shuttles back and forth, while super convenient can be a pain.

You can call an express number if you need anything - but that is the one joke of this place. You can call and call and someone will come or they won't. No guarentees on this. Your best bet is to find a maid or something. That's what we did. I called because our TV didn't work and I asked when someone would come and the guy said "Amigo - how can I answer that?"...

Pool and Beach - Here is the deal. If you want a nice spot under a sun shade, which you do, then you have to get up around 5AM and even then it's a push. I think people put towels on chairs at 2AM, which isn't fair or nice, but that's the way it is. You can get a sunshade as late as 7AM, but it's away from the beach. After that, you can get an unshaded chair till around 8:30 AM, but then after that, you are just wandering around looking and you won't have luck. Be aware, this is a huge resort, so you will have all kinds of people, including some that will steal your beach chairs, or move your stuff. Be ready for that. I don't want to scare anyone, and it doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

I usually got up around 6:30, walked to the beach (60 seconds from villa 4) and found a good spot. I would sit for an hour and watch the sun come up, then go back to the room, chill with the family, go to breakfast and then go back. We would be there till around 2, then go find a chair at the pool. If you go to the pool between 8 and 2, you will NOT find a chair - that's a fact.

At the end of the day, the pool and the beach is why most people come here, so invest a little time, get up early and you will be OK.

Food - This is where I was most dissapointed. It's a cruse experience - not even that good. You get 3 or 4 nights out of your week in a restaurant, the rest of the dinners in a buffet. The buffets are OK, but really, this is pushing 5000 people a day through dinner, so it will be an incredibly average experience. In my week, at the buffet, I wasn't really excited about one thing I ate. I wasn't sad, not not real happy either. Food at college is better.

The restaurants are a bit better because it's a smaller scale, but really it is 5/6 out of 10. We had Japanese, Mexican, Seafood and Spanish. Japanese was actually pretty good . Mexican was OK, Seafood was not that good and I would avoid the Spanish. We couldn't get into the Steak place.

The bars around the resort are OK. Drinks are not that great, but OK. we enjoyed sitting in one of the outdoor lobby bars every night before dinner. Very relaxing.

We stayed by the beach, so breakfast and lunch were very easy - breakfast is in the Seafood restaurant by the beach (as well as the big buffet places in the lobby), so it was very easy. Lunch was in a snack bar by the pool - very easy)

People - The hotel employees (all of them) are very nice. Most don't speak much other than Spanish, but all were nice and hospitable. Not overly nice, but pretty OK.

Other guests - If you are a non-smoker, and from the US, you will be amazed how much the rest of the world smokes . There are lots of Eastern European and Canadian folks here. It seems that every one of them smokes. I find it pretty off-putting to be on the beach and get a lung full of smoke, and I promise you, that will happen often. Also in the bars, restaurants and just about every place else. I am not one to tell another how to live, so I don't, but I wasn't expecting all the smoke. I would say that 60% of the resort guests are smokers. Seriously - smoking kills and the smoke kills others - when will the world learn this?

Overall - I would say this - if you are looking for a high end, 5 star experience where you are pampered, this is not it. It does not pretend to be that (to their credit), but please don't think that. Buyer beware on that point. If you want that, you should go to Half Moon on Jamaica or a Ritz Carlton somewhere....

This place is a couple thousand dollars cheaper than a 5 star resort. I think it is a good value, but it is that - a value destination. In Disney terms, it is a moderate resort. The other thing is that they can try as hard as they can to please guests or be a great resort, but they won't ever be any better than a good resort because of the size. There are SO MANY people here, a lot of times you feel herded from one place to the other. There is no getting around it. If you are expecting that, then you are OK, but if you are not, you will hate it.

Our travel agent slightly oversold this place, so we took a day to get used to the place. But after we were used to it and the size and the people and the "routine" with the beach/pool, we got used to it and made the most of it. I would not recommend it to a friend only for the size/smoking reason, but that doesn't make it bad - just not for us again.

So if you go, try and enjoy, but understand what you are doing.

2 Thank GeorgiaTraveler-6
Redondo Beach, Ca
Reviewed April 12, 2009

This was my third GBP property in a year (Jamaica, Riviera Maya) and by far the best exoerience of the three. Firstly, few Americans patronize this location, a good thing while on vacation as one. Secondly as this resort chain is somewhat unfamiliar to most Americans in general, it helps to understand the GBP business model. With the exception of Jamaica, most of these consist of at least three different properties on one site. A crash course on the GBP for dummies is helpful. There are up to seven different levels within the Punta Cana location, four hotels and three clubs. If you book the rock bottom (most online booking agencies offer this) which is the Punta Cana, you run the risk of having to share the basic common areas with masses of guests. However if you book the next level up, the Bavarro, you at least have a second buffet and exclusive pool option to patronize. This makes the experience more pleasant. This resort offers exceptional services in food, beverage, leisure, etc.. However with so many guests, one is pretty much anonymous and can't expect any ort of personal attention or customer service. Senior management is never visible and is often altogether inaccessible in the event of a glitch. Know when you check in that you won't be fully informed of important details that can waste your time trying to sort out yourself. For instance ask and pay for the safe up front, they are not free of charge. Book your a la carte restaurant reservations immediately, before going to your room as this can be challenging and you won't get a reservation if you hesitate. Ask for a map pinpointing your room assignment. If it is not ideally situated for your needs or is not on a floor suited to you, ask for an immediate room change, otherwise it can take hours to facilitate after the fact. If in doubt, check the GBP website for an explanation of the various clubs and levels within the resort. Upgrading for club services can make all the difference. As a past guest and frequent GBP visitor, I was able to obtain the Diamond Clu upgrade wih an exclusive pool area, breakfast and lunch option as well as an extra a la carte reservationand free use of internet access for 15 minutes a visit to the club center. There are numerous competitive resort chains but the GBP is reputed to be superior due to the fact they are the newest one and the properties and rooms are far nicer than their musty old competitors. The charm of the Dominican republic is their people, the staff are friendly and humble unlike the more aggressive Jamaicans and Mexicans. Tipping is optional and not as expected as in exico and Jamaica.

3 Thank travelmom46
Ontario
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana, from March 16th - March 23rd. We had a wonderful stay. The hotel was beautiful, and the beach was amazing. We stayed in the Royal Golden section of the resort.

The Resort:
When you hear that this resort is big.....it is. There are 4 resorts in one.
Gran Bahia Principe Premiere - Furthest from the beach, you see it when you first enter the resort
Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro - If you are facing the ocean, it runs down the left hand side of the resort. (Club Diamond Section is located within this section).
Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana - If you are facing the ocean, it runs down the right hand side of the resort. It is a mirror image of the Bavaro Side of the resort. (Royal Golden section is located within this section).
Gran Bahia Principe Ambar - On the Bavaro side, further down from the main lobby...closer to the ocean. Adults only.
There are shuttles running up and down both sides of the resort. They run all day, until 3 am. If you do not feel like walking, or are too tired, there are bus stops along the main path. You dont have to wait more than 2 or 3 minutes for a shuttle.
The resort is beautifully maintained. Workers were always trimming hedges, watering flowers, cleaning debris, etc.

Rooms:
We stayed in the royal golden section. The royal golden section perks....
-The rooms are closest to the beach,
-We had access to 15 minutes of free internet per person, per day, in the golden clubhouse (which we did not use at all),
-A room near the main lobby is designated for royal golden guests for all your needs (Check in, check out, safe rental, booking a la carte's, or any issues you may have). This avoids the long lines at the main lobby.
-Access to 4 a la carte dinners
-Room service at any time of day or night (we did not use this either)
When we booked our vacation, we had requested a room on the third floor. When we arrived, I noticed that they had us in a room on the first floor. We asked to change it, they made a couple of phone calls, and that was that. They gave us a second floor room. No hassles. Im glad we switched rooms because we recieved a day and a half of pretty heavy rain during our stay....I heard the first floor rooms flooded!!! So glad we were higher up.

Our room was nicely furnished, clean, and spacious. In our room we had a king size bed, large closet with plenty of shelves and hangers. We also had bath robes, slippers, an umbrella, and beach blanket. There was a safe in the closet (you have to pay $29 american for). There was a small table with two chairs, sofa, large television, and end tables on either side of the bed. There is a small fridge that is stocked daily with water, pop, and beer. The bathroom was very spacious. Plenty of counter space. The bathtub is a jacuzzi tub/shower, with half a glass door. The toilet is partitioned off by half of a wall in the bathroom for added privacy. Our patio had just enough room for the two chairs and table that were on it. We had an awful view of the construction site next door. These workers would start around 7am, and would sometimes work until 10pm. We never heard the noise from the construction....but our view was terrible. We didnt make a big deal of the construction, because we dont spend alot of time in our room anyways, and the noise never once bothered us.

Our room was always clean and restocked with towels and drinks. The maid left fresh flowers around the room each day. She was also creative with our towels and bedding, making towel sculptures, or arranging our bedsheets in a funky way.

Helpful hint : If you know what villa you are booked to stay in, villas 1,2,3,5,7,9,11,12,15,17, or 19, are closest to the construction site view. Avoid these rooms if at all possible, or ask for a room with a garden view.

Pools:
There are 5 pools at this resort. Starting from the furthest from the beach....
-Premier pool (near the entrance of the resort. we never did check it out because it was so far away...Im not even sure if it is a private pool, or available to everyone)
-Pool #1 (not sure of name)- On the Punta Cana side, about halfway from the lobby and the beach. Very small pool. We sat at this pool one time around 4pm. We tried other days to get a spot near this pool, and the chairs were always taken. Quieter than the beach pool, but much smaller.
-Club Diamond pool (on the Bavaro side, directly across from pool #1) This pool only available to club diamond memers. This pool always seemed quiet, but we did not have access to it :(
-Ambar Pool (In the Ambar section of the resort) Private pool, adults only, only available to club ambar members. Once again we did not have access to this pool :(
- Beach Pool (as the name states, this pool is close to the beach) This pool is huge. We never had to search for chairs for very long at this pool, but the good spots (under tiki's or by the bar) were always taken by people playing the towel game. We lucked out with some good spots a few times. This pool became noisy at times as there were many children at this pool.

Considering the size of this resort, the pools can become quite crowded. Many people play the towel game, which can get quite irritating...especially when their towels sit in an empty chair for hours upon end....where do these people go???

The beach:
Ah.......the beach. This is where we spent most of our time. Heavenly turquiose water, ocean breeze,and fine, soft, almost white sand. NO complaints at all. Yes, the beach area can become a bit crowded, but we never had difficulty finding a chair, and we were never uncomfortably close to other people. We hit the beach at different times each day, ranging from 8am to 4pm.....we always found a chair. There are bars, snack bars, and washrooms conveniently located near the beach, and beach-pool areas. The beach is constantly being groomed and cleaned by workers from the resort.

Restaurants:
Each resort has its own buffet restaurant. Its pretty simple...you go to the buffet on your own side of the resort. The buffet is large, so we never had to wait for a table. The hot food was always hot, and the cold food cold. We found nothing to complain about at the buffet. The staff were always friendly and accomodating. There was a wide variety of food that changed from day to day. There were always "safe" foods, like pizza, pasta, fruit, vegetables, etc for picky or unadventurous eaters. I was impressed at the amount of vegetables at the buffet. My favourite item at the buffet was probably the pasta station. You choose what kind of pasta, sauce, and vegetables you would like to add to your pasta. The cook makes it right in front of your eyes.....the only thing is the portions are huge.....only ask for a little bit, or half of what they usually cook, otherwise you will end up with a heaping plate of pasta.

We ate at 4 a la carte restaurants....
-The Gourmet - 8/10 We had the lobster meal, and the steak meal. Good food, no complaints. The waiter even brought us extra portions of lobster and steak....mmm.
-The Spanish - 2/10 Yuck....Im not one to complain, but we both ordered the suckling pig because it sounded like the safest thing on the menu. The peice of meat we received was HUGE. It was also full of fat, bone, skin, and hair. I couldn't eat my meal, I only ate the potatoes that came with it. Good thing they had a salad bar that I filled up on before our entrees arrived.
-The Garden Grill - 10/10 Many different cuts of steak to choose from. Also they have chicken and seafood. The salad bar is stocked with yummy veggies, soups and breads. Also they have some appetizers like onion rings and mozza sticks.
The Japanese - 9/10 Very fun dining experience. We sat at a U shaped table, and the cook made our food right in front of our eyes. My boyfriend is allergic to seafood, they went out of their way to make sure his food was prepared seperately. The sushi was great, and the stir fry was tasty too. He cooked up 4 different kinds of meat (beef, chicken, fish, and shrimp)....then you could choose which ones you wanted added to your meal. The dessert was also great...try the deep fried ice cream....mmm

Our room was located near the beach. The seafood restaurant (El Pescador) offered buffet breakfasts and lunches. We ate there for breakfast every morning except one. This saved us the long trek back to the main buffet. This way we could eat, then start our day at the beach or pool. Also, the crepes were my favorite, and they had them here every morning.....yum :)

For lunch, we usually hit the snack bars by the beach. No complaints.....always found something to eat. There was always pizza, burgers, meats, cheeses, fruit, salad, etc. These were handy because they were close to the main pool and beach, and you could go grab something to eat in casual clothes or your bathing suit even.

Bars:
Our favourite place to hang out after dinner was the lobby bar. It was always busy and bustling. The drinks are served in glasses here as well, no plastic cups. Also, specialty coffees were served. At night, there would be a piano player for a few hours of entertainment (although he seems to play the same songs each night). If you were seated at a table, the waitresses would promptly take your order and serve you. We tipped the waitresses, but noticed they gave the same excellent service to others who were not tipping.

Every day there is a drink feature. I like that at the bar, there is a sign that tells you what alcohol is in the drink feature of the day. We tried them all. My favourite was the choco banana.

The bars by the main pool and the beach were busy, but you never had to wait long for a drink. The only complaint is that they ran out of alcohol by late afternoon, on two seperate occasions.

We brought our travel mugs this year, and what a wonderful idea!! Our drinks would stay cold, no sand in your drinks, and they are environmentally friendly!!

Entertainment:
Each night there is a show. Due to the massive size of the resort, they show it twice (9:30 and 10:15, I think). This is convenient if you have late dinner reservations or go for a nap or walk after dinner. We saw most of the shows (Michael Jackson, The All star show, The Circus show, and the Bahia Principe Spectacular show). I found the entertainment to be better than shows I have seen at other resorts. There was variety implemented in these shows, it wasnt all dancing, as I have seen at other resorts.

There is a disco and a casino located near the entrance of the resort. We did not get a chance to go to the disco, although we intended to. We also did not check out the casino, as gambling isn't our thing.

Other things to know:
-The gym is tiny. We thought the gym would be much bigger considering the size of the resort. It is located off the punta cana lobby. We decided to go early (or what we thought was early), and it was packed. Literally every piece of equipment was in use. Half of the cardio machines were out of order...and there werent many to choose from. The equipment was very basic. I meant to take a picture of the gym, but forgot. From what I remember the gym included.....
2 treadmills - both out of order
2 rowers - 1 out of order
5 exercise bikes
2 bench presses
Free weights
1 universal weight machine

-We bought calling cards from the lobby shop to call home to Canada with. The cost was $20 american. It gave you approximately 22 minutes of talk time.

-I did not see any mosquitoes during my entire trip, but I did get bites of some sort on my feet and the backs of my arms.

-again....if you know what villa you are booked to stay in, villas 1,2,3,5,7,9,11,12,15,17, or 19, are closest to the construction site view. Avoid these rooms if possible, or ask for a room with a garden view.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank sunlover78
Moncton,New-Brunswick
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I vacationned at the Gran Bahia Principe during the first week of April. Our travel party consisted of four adults in our early thirties. The resort itself is very beautiful and well maintened. Cleanliness is of top priority all around the resort and in the guest rooms. The food is quite average. You can always find something to fill your hunger but nothing is really tasty. I think the size of the resort (3000 + plus rooms and they are presently enlarging it) prevents it from giving that special attention to the food. I have been to Punta Cana several times before and I know for a fact that the beach is stunning...but there are so many people on the beach that you can't really appreciate the beauty of it. It is just a sea of sunbeds. If you spread out your arms to far, you can touch the person trying to rest next to you. It is the same deal at the pools. Just too many people for my taste. As for the service, it is hit and miss. Be prepared to wait and wait and wait for services. Again, I think that there is just not enough staff for the immensity of the resort.
During our vacation, the resort was overbooked so guest services offered us 100$US to be transfered to the Majestic Elegance for 3 nights. There is a true 5 star resort. We could really see the difference in the food, the space and the services due to the difference in the size of the resort.
If you do not mind big crowds, you could be quite satisfied with the Gran Bahia Principe. Personnally, I prefer a quiet and relaxing vacation so this resort was not a good fit for me.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple