Went for a week from Feb 26 to Mar 5. This is our second time at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana. We found everything met our expectations -- the room, food, service and the weather.
We booked our vacation on line with Air Canada Vacations. The package we booked translated into the Diamond Club package. Transfers to and from the resort were on time and uneventful. Morning/early afternoon arrivals usually wait for their rooms as check in is 3:00pm. If you have to wait, just enjoy the bar and soak up the atmosphere.
Room: The room was comfortable. We asked for the top floor ("ultimate piso"), but got the 2nd floor (there are three floors in the building we stayed at). There are no elevators. The bellboy will carry your luggage. We stayed in building villa 10, which is between the beach and the main building. The room has a small sitting area, table and chairs along with a balcony. The TV in the room is a 20" color flat-tube. Lots of satellite channels to choose from, including a Spanish cartoon channel. The bedding on the king-size bed was comfortable, and the bath was well stocked with towels, toiletries, soaps, bath gels and shampoo. The bath has a hand-held shower and jacuzzi tub. We did not use the tub. The bath does not have a bidet.
Beach (Playa): The beach has lots of palm-tree huts for shade. There is a pine tree in one area that provided shade but the needles from the tree was annoying. It is not allowed to reserve any sunbeds at the pool or beach, however, guests did reserve sunbeds. If you want to get a good spot, you may have to 'hold' your spot before 7:00am. But is you do not mind, you can always find a spot to enjoy the sun/shade. Currently, there is new construction (ran for the duration of our stay) on the east side of the resort, near the beach. We were not told about the construction. The area is fenced-off. The noise from the construction site tolerable, but not ideal if you were looking to snooze quietly on the beach. The noise did not bother us during our stay, but it was not expected or wanted. Try looking for a beach spot towards the Ambar side of the resort (or the left side of the resort if you are facing the ocean).
The weather during the week was sunny, hot and humid (as expected) but comfortable because of the breeze. There was one day that was overcast all day. It was stormy a few nights. Note: the water was designated with yellow flags every day due to the under tow and strength of waves.
Food/Service: The food and service is very good at both the buffet restaurants and a la carte restaurants. On a couple of occasions, the waiter replaced my near-empty glass of beer with a full one between courses without asking me. Not once did either of us become ill due to food or drink. The table is always set and the table cloths are always clean. The napkins are soft cotton napkins.
Tip: Instead of getting breakfast at the buffet restaurant in the hotel where everyone goes, we discovered they served breakfast at the "el pescador" restaurant, located near the beach and closer to our room. The breakfast selection is not as extensive as the main buffet restaurant -- smaller selection of items and no made-to-order omelettes, but it's much more convenient.
Entertainment: We did not partake in the evening shows this time. The pathways in the resort are well lit so you are able to enjoy an evening walk before or after dinner.
Shopping: The Pueblo Principe is an open air mini market enclosing many cart sellers, who are very aggressive, but do not be intimidated into buying anything.
Health tip: My partner gets mosquito bites whenever we visit tropical climates and takes precautions to limit the number of bites. Mosquitoes bite in early morning and evenings, it is advisable to wear a light insect repellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Jacuzzi Sun terraces Lounger, sun umbrella and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, multi-sports court Water activity centre Motorised sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Meeting and convention room 1 buffet restaurant and 5 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 16 bars Wedding gazebo Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Punta Blanca Golf Club (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, disco and casino Rooms 756 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with Jacuzzi, hair dryer and a full range of amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda). Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Baby Station Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teen's club Other Services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) WiFi in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BP USA TRAVEL INC, Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Gran Bahia Principe