“wont go back”

Ranked #62 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
mississauga
“wont go back”
Reviewed February 22, 2009

this is my first ever review
cant do anything about the weather arrived after a week of rain
beach fair rough sand water cool to enter
waters rough and erroding portions of beach
not clean blue clear as shown in many brochure pictures.
food was good as i did not starve, staff friendly
rooms could use an update
good price for a last minute price
from the first day til the last we received bug bites from either the beach and or the bed very itchy
two tours taken fun and good time (buggy and jeep
) but money for hand outs at every stop
night show on the stage very poor
the village with night life 11:00pm to 1:00am was fun

• Stayed February 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,443)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed February 22, 2009

My husband, 1.5 yr old daughter and my in-laws stayed here Feb 14-21. I too read the trip advisor reviews after booking but before going - take with a grain of salt as I believe it's the few people who had a bad experience who write in, and I don't think the majority of people who had a good time bother to write reviews....Anyways, don't worry, if you are already set to go, and are looking forward to relaxing, a gorgeous beach and fun in the ocean waves, sand and pool, you'll get it. :)

Due to our infant daughter, we upgraded to bulkhead seats on plane and "golden club" rooms with Air Transat. This essentially meant we got a room in the building closest to the beach, the pool and the beach lunch buffet. Would not have done it any other way - very glad we paid the extra $.

What we didn't like and why we'll probably try somewhere else next time (based on our own personal preferences):
-resort is too big ("Ambar", "Bavaro" and "Punta Cana" are all the same resort). We had to take a 10 minute diesel mini-bus ride to get to breakfast and dinner (we were farthest away from restaurants/lobby/show as we were in bldg closest to beach). The fumes from the bus were really bad! oh well. It's funny, but I think I would have been okay with the bus if it hadn't been for the fumes.
-too many people at the beach - jam packed and you had to play the "towel game" for chairs by 7:30am. However, we went during a very busy week - very high season. I hear it is less crowded at other times. Anyways, just would have been nice to take some more secluded/relaxing walks on the beach
-on the ocean side and for us that meant no good snorkelling close to shore which is something we like to do.
-a la carte restaurants were not the greatest except for 1 or 2 and the lunch buffet food never changed (we're pretty laid back about food and so always found something to eat of course, but I think they could improve here)

What we liked:
-ocean is gorgeous, pool was big with shallow kids area, family friendly
-room was really nice and would be very adequate for 2 people, even with our pack and play/crib we still had plenty of space
-liked the "cafe de paris"/gourmet a la carte restaurant a lot - fine dining for sure - would definitely recommend. Mexican restaurant was nice too - service excellent there (I love mexican food mind you) and it was close to the beach so we didn't have to walk far.
-staff were very friendly overall, language barrier not a real issue at all.

Last thoughts:
-housekeeping service DID seem to vary a lot. We fared okay. My in-laws got their "blue beach towels" replaced in room every day, unlike us. Ask housekeeping for them.
-I wouldn't recommend this resort for the elderly and/or those who have mobility issues just because it's so big, and you'll be stuck on that bus a lot.
-can't comment on lobby bars, shows, casino, spa, etc. as we didn't utilize at all due to distance from room and infant daughter.
**landed here with strep throat that transpired into an ear infection - medical service was excellent - doctor's office on site. Lesson here is that anything can happen on your vacation, so go with an open mind and don't spend your life savings on the trip! For example, it also apparently rained for 3 days straight before we got there. :)

Anyways, we will look for a smaller resort with snorkelling right off the beach next time, and for us, of course, a family friendly environment. :)

Hope that's helpful, enjoy your stay.
"Meagan's Mom."

3 Thank CAA1
burnaby
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Went on a 7 nite all-inclusive honeymoon vacation turns out to be our worst holiday ever...
- they do not have any 24 hr restuarant if u arrive late (late we did) u basically got no meals til the next morning.
- bed was hard and very uncomfortable, bed linens were old.
- they provide shampoo but no conditioner, provide soap and body wash but no body lotion, which all should be very basic requirment for even a 3 star.
- beach towels, like many previous reviews stated, they ALWAYS ran out of beach towels.
- resort empolyee are all VERY lay back and they always carry a 'don't care' attitude.
- fridge was empty after first day, and there was a sign stating fridge item would be re-stock daily.
- more than 90% of travellers there are European, and they are just... different (don't want people to call me racist or anything, but i'm pretty sure u know what i mean).
- they charge for in-room safe.
- like many review previously stated, people there tend to go through your personal belongings and steal from you, and they didn't even bother to do it discreetly. one day we got back to our room to find out that items inside the luggage were all messed up and we got cosmetics stolen from our luggage.
- when we went to the front desk and complain, they said they are not liable for anything that's not placed inside the safe. so we have to put even cosmetics inside the safe from now on??
- always got mysterious phone calls with no sound in the middle of the day. that's the time when we decided to put the 'do not disturb' sign on all the time so the maid could not come in. what we figure later on was that maybe maid try to check if there's anyone inside the room if not then they could... steal?
If u decided to stay at this resort, remember to pay for the safe and put EVERTHING, even your underwear inside the safe!
The only good things we could think of...
-nice beach.
-food are acceptable.
-nice weather (not too hot maybe because we went in Feb)
... ...

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kkcwwc
Alabama
Reviewed February 21, 2009

My family and I have made three trips to the Dominican Republic over the last three years. My most recent was with my spouse and some adult friends. We stayed at the Bahia Principe and loved it. I consider myself an experienced traveller with an open mind review of the properties. First let me say, Bahia is a large property with 2700 rooms. If you are an adult couple, pay the extra for the Ambar side of the property as the rooms, pool, gym, spa and service is worth the extra couple of $100.00. This is definitely the premium area. If you are traveling with children and desire some premium services i.e. rooms closer to beach, reservation preference for ala cart restaurants then request the golden package which is approximately $30.00 US dollars extra per day. We did neither of these packages as it was just the two of us and I wanted to experience the family area of the resort. We stayed in building 14 which was right at one of the pools but you need to take the train to the beach or walk about 5 minutes. The rooms were lovely and spacious with a tub/shower in each. There are roughly 5 pools on the property but remember one is for Ambar customers(adults only) and one is for golden customers. Every pool has a swim up bar so no problems there. The buffet was good with lots of choices. Remember, you are in the caribbean and it is buffet style food so don't expect a 5 star restaurant. My theory is that if you can't find something that you like, you aren't hungry. As far as ala cart , we ate at the French, Italian and the Barbacue/Grill. We loved the first two but don't waste your time on the second. The Beach is lovely with plenty of room and stretches for miles. They do a great job of exercise and fun games at the Beach as well as the pools. The only language problems we had were with the maids, they spoke almost no english but the rest of the resort staff spoke several different languages fluently. The spa is beautiful but I did not use any of their services. I did go to the gym and it was pathetic and the equipment was dangerous. Remember, the Ambar area has its own gym, just another reason to pay the extra. Do make sure to take a thermos type cup and snacks so when you get to the Beach, you can use your own cup at the bar instead of the small ones they give you. There are plenty of places to get your drinks but there are no servers on the beach or at the regular pools. Feel free to email me with any questions.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank T2Tennis
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2009

As per some other reviews, these guys are absolute crooks. We have travelled to many all-inclusives, and we can honestly say that this is the worst. NOT A 5 STAR!!

We stayed in Golden Club... rooms close to beach, but about 1 mile from the lobby, they have trolleys that are always full during peak times, and only hold 20 people, they come every 5 minutes (resort has 2500+ rooms). If you stay in golden or ambar, be prepared to walk alot.

There are never spots on the beach unless you go out before 8 am and hope nobody steals your towel. Pool bars are closed at 5, and then you have to hike to the lobby for a drink, since room fridge is well-stocked with 2 beer.

-What other all-inclusive charges for a room safe?
-yes, they DO steal... I read some other reviews here that had the same experiences... my wife had clothing stolen from her suitcase
-Our room was not cleaned for 4 days, and when we complained, we were told we were the only people in the whole hotel that had any issues. They do not understand customer service whatsoever, so hope that you have no issues (and english is VERY limited). Our friends stayed in the next room and had no problems, even fresh flowers every day (yes, we did tip the maid the first day!), so there is some luck involved.

"Golden club" [--]. All that golden means is that you have to wait 3 times as long at a separate check-in area if you want to make dinner reservations or ask for something. Don't bother phoning the "Golden express" number, it goes to a guy who doesn't even have a computer to check anything. 24 hour room service is really only until 11 pm, then you get cold sandwiches with leftover filling.

If you want a real 5 star, this is not it. As long as you are not expecting good service, the beach is beautiful, buffet is excellent, and they spray for bugs. Lots of canadians and eastern europeans, very few americans. I must say, since english canada has gone smoke free, we really noticed the smoke billowing out from the europeans, so be prepared. Also, you have to tolerate the relative "pushy" nature of the european tourist, not alot of etiquette, so be prepared to redraw your personal space much smaller, and get cut off alot!

Shows are good for a resort, but get there early or you are standing room only in front of a pillar. They have a little self-contained shopping/nightlife area, but vendors are very pushy and sell junk. They have a small casino, and karaoke bar and a disco. Travel outside the resort is a bit sketchy since you are isolated.

We have travelled to other resorts that understand customer service and are truly 5 star for the same price, so we are comparing with them to some degree.... but no matter how many stars, the staff should not steal, and the room should be clean. This hotel did neither.

3 Thank flyboy2020
Ontario
Reviewed February 20, 2009

Our family of 4, 2 adults, 2 teenage children just returning from Gran Bahia, Punta Cana.
This was our first time in Punta Cana and our first for all inclusive. I thought the hotel was beautiful and yes it was large. Takes about a day to figure out where everything is. The tram was great, tansporting you around the hotel. The grounds are well maintained and lots of hard working people.

We stayed in the Golden section, for a couple of the perks, internet, 4 ala carts and buildings were closer to the beach. We stayed in building 25. our maid Yolanda was fabulous. she made sure we had what we needed. and yes she spoke some english!! our room was great, clean, and bigger then I thought its was going to be. Rooms are a little damp even with the air conditioning running.

Our 4 ala cart dinners were great. We as a family liked all the dinners, but would not go back to the Japanese as we found others to be better.

The buffets are what you make of it. My son who is a picky eater found himself eating hamburgers and fries everyday for lunch. He enjoyed his hamburger. I heard others talk and complain about the hamburger, soooo go figure my picky eater loved them. We had a good laugh on the buffet when they would describe what the food was. One night we all thought we would try the "peacock" to find out it was trukey. The wait staff on a hole was great. No complaints at our table.

The beach was extemely busy, if you didn't get up early you would not find a chair. Not a big deal. The sand is as white as it looks in the books. the ocean is as blue again as it looks in the books. BEAUTIFUL beaches. We spent half our time at the beach and the other half at the pool. The pools were clean and well maintained. Our waitress Lidia at the pool always had a smile for us everyday.and again she spoke little english. I would defenatley go back to this resort.

We went to ALL the shows at night. had a great time.
After our week, we really didn't want to leave. The big joke for the month was...
they should have called this place "PUNTA CANADA" as 3/4 of the traveller were Canadian.

Over all our family can't wait to go back!!!!

5 Thank linbin38
Ottawa
Reviewed February 19, 2009

My wife,3 sons and I were at this beautiful resort from Feb 8-16th.It was fabulous.My youngest son (11yrs old) has severe allergies to all nuts and fish.We had travelled to Florida with him Disney,Busch Gardens etc but never to a country where english was not the native languageand so were quite nervous about making this trip with him even though we have epi-pens.What I did was inform my travel agent at signature vacations who intern notified the restaurant managers about my sons allergies and our arrival date.When we arrived I went to the guest services area and spoke to the person there to make reservations for the a la carte restaurants,they had placed a note on the receipt mentioning the allergies so that when we arrived for dinner we were to hand the receipt confiming our reservation for the dinner to the maitre dit...they were aware of our situation. I was not totally confortable with a small note because the notes first of all were only for the a la cartes...what about the breakfast,lunch and dinner buffets??
So what I recommend to you and what I had eventually done was I asked the staff at guest services to print me a note in Spanish on a piece of paper in BOLD print saying that My son was allergic to these specific foods and for the chef at whatever restaurant/buffet I was at to show me what foods he could eat.I would walk in to the buffet,look for someone wearing the white chefs hat and hand the note to them and then take the note back for the next meal.They were very good about helping me out,just make sure that your note says specifically what your child is allergic to.My son ate mostly pastas,hamburgers,pizzas,and ,chicken,for breakfast he had eggs,bacon,fruit etc.He had plenty to eat and we did not incur any problems.The staff was excellent and many do speak english but did not understand what peanuts meant until I had the note written in Spanish,that made a world of difference.

This resort is truly beautiful and the staff extremely friendly,much more so than in Mexico we found.The beach was stunning,the rooms extremely clean (the maids to like and deserve a small tip)the evening shows were fun especially for kids. I hope this helps all of you especially families with food allergies.

5 Thank oreo9
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#80 of 111 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!