“Fantastic Vacation, well worth the money.”

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #64 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
New Brunswick, Canada
“Fantastic Vacation, well worth the money.”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed at The Grand Bahia Principe Punta in the Golden Section from March 21-28th. We want to say that it was a fantastic vacation. The resort is huge but in a couple of days you can find your way around with no problems. I had read reviews before we went and knew about the lay out so I was prepared with my Canadian flag to hand outside my room so we would find our way back. This not only helped us but others.
My husband and I enjoyed the beach 80% of the time, we did not do excursions this time around and just enjoyed the resort, plenty to see and do at the resort.
If you do not want to walk the beach for the local flea market no need to worry, the local merchants will come right to the beach and sell things right there, yes and remember to negotiate. There is also a stores on the grounds so you can purchase others items if need be.
The room was fantastic very clean and tidy, really no complaints.
Our favorite la carte was the Garden Grill steak house was the best, I do highly recommend this to everyone who travels to the Grand Bahia.
We just wanted to say that are stay was very pleasant and we do recommend this resort to others.
we have visited Punta Cana for the past 5 years and we want to say that we will surely visit this resort again and we will highly recommend others to so the same. We will only recommend the Golden Section due to the fact we had the best service we could ask for.
Thanks again Grand Bahia Principe for making our vacation Terrific.
Sonya and Leon Doucette

Room Tip: Golden Section is worth the extra cost. And no need to worry plenty of chairs on the beach. If you w...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Doucette2014
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Sonya and Leon Doucette,

I would like to thank you for recommending us and for mentioning that you received the best service you could ask in our Royal Golden. It is a pleasure to know that you experienced a fantastic vacation and you enjoyed so much the Garden Grill and was your favorite and the best a la carte restaurant.

Looking forward to welcoming you in Punta Cana!

Regards from Dominican Republic,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,472)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Monticello, Illinois
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The resort was clean staff was very helpful, and the Apple reps. were very helpful. The beach was clean and beautiful. Lots of good entertainment,great food, and it was restful. No body worried about a time schedule. We hope to go again, and recommend this hotel and resort.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear John,

It is a pleasure for all of us to read that you had a great time in our premises and you recommend us. Thank you for your comments.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again! Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Toronto
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Last December we went again a seventh times to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana.We love that place very much it is just like a second home.The hotel is huge but that seems it is no problem everything is organized.We almost every time stayed at Royal Golden section in villa 1 what is making us very happy. Every morning we can admire a sun rise from the balcony and while having a coffee look at the beautiful color of the Ocean. At the hotel it is a bus shuttle that runs every 10 minutes it is very easy to get any place The grounds are beautiful green, amazing bushes and flowers are taken good care of all the time. From the morning until late afternoon there are a lot of activities around the pools and beach. You cannot be bored. Restaurants a la carte are great, clean and full of taste choices also buffets have a lot of food You can choose. The food is always fresh and very tasty.The room service is great very clean with amazing decorations make you feel very special. At the lobby you can always have a drink with smile, jokes even a dance. All staff is very polite, happy, helpful and always smiling. Wanda is one of the happy and cheerful lady flying between the tables with full of drinks. At the pools the bartenders are working very hard but the will not show you that they are tired serving a drinks with smile and jokes all the time. Henricko he is a young man very polite, happy serving people very quickly at the main pool close to the beach- big thanks to him. Beach is gorgeous with white soft sand great for long sunny walks. Only one thing that bothered me on the beach it the smokers who should have respect for small kids, pregnant women and non smokers. They would smoke very close to other people and litter the beach with the cigarettes ends in a sand that is no culture at all. Every 4 or 5 meter is a garbage can and special pots for the cigarettes but they still making a mess.Again we are planning to come back to a second home and visit our family, yes that is right all people we meet there they are a Family.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 765Maria
Dear Maria,

It is a pleasure and a great compliment to know that you experienced an amazing vacation in your 7th time with us. We were able to keep the same expectations every time you come at your second home.

As a repeater guest, we are always humbled to serve you each time and of course you are welcome to contact us for next visit to experience again the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a dream in the Caribbean.

New Glasgow, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This was our second visit to this resort and we were in the Royal Golden section for reference.

The Resort is fairly large and can hold a lot of guests (really it is 6 resorts in one. They handle the large number of guests well by making lots of transportation available and having lots of facilities.

Good Points: They have lots of beach, lots of pools, lots of restaurants and bars and other facilities. (you never have to walk far to get food or drink. One nice feature is the self serve water, juice and pop dispensers.
They have some new features for kids - an excellent water park for smaller kids and an obstacle course for older children.
The food at the Buffet restaurant had so much variety that you could always find something quite good and some excellent dishes - also the house wine is good.
The clean this place really good - both inside your room and at the common facilities - they scrub down the walkways.
The beach is fabulous.

Bad Points: The "a la carte" restaurants are another story - the appetizers tended to be quite good but the main courses were rarely good - one night I had "Roast Suckling Pig" expecting to get some juicy slices I got some bones with about two bites of meat that was not very good. At another one we got 'fish lasagna' that sounded good in the menu but had no noodles and appeared to be filled with mushed fish that didn't taste or smell appetizing. We were always happy with the buffets but usually disappointed with the al la cartes. Especially avoid the "Spanish and Fish Restaurants
You may have to get up early to get a place in the shade at the pools or at the beach.

The overall service was great and we had a couple of small problems that were handled quickly and with a smile.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ray,

We really appreciate that you have chosen our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana for your second visit especially at Royal Golden. It is a pleasure to read that you find worth to mention the good points you liked. At the same time I apologize if you felt disappointed with a la carte restaurants.

We will be grateful if you decide to come again to our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Thank you for your comments!!!

washington D.C
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana from 31 Mar to 7 Apr. Like you, I also read through trip advisor to determine if I was going to stay at this resort. After spending a week there, I'm glad I chose this resort. I had met others who have stayed at other locations and found this one to be the best. I upgraded to the Golden club since I wanted my room to be close to the beach.
The resort was big but I didn't see that as a problem. If your room is close to the beach and you want to go to the main lobby, there is a bus shuttle that runs every 10 minutes. The food was delicious, I have absolutely no complaints!!
Transportation to the resort and back to airport was simple. Again, no problems with check in either. I agree with others who said to request the second floor. I didn't have mosquito problems but did hear my neighbors above me.
I was very impressed with the bartenders. Ramon in the main lobby makes a delicious mojito but make sure you ask him for dark rum. Most bartenders use white rum and the taste is much different. The Irish coffee after dinner tastes like a tiramisu. You have to order it in the main lobby. DELICIOUS!
We found a flea market on the beach approx. 2 miles from the resort. Go right at the beach. There was a lot of trinkets that you will find in the stores but cheaper. Remember to negotiate, they will attempt to charge you 3x the regular price.
We didn't leave the resort as we weren't interested in any of the excursions. If you are wanting to relax and just enjoy the beach and pool and all inclusive deal, this is a great place to go. I have been to several Caribbean resorts and this is a good one. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: If you love to be near the beach, opt for the golden room upgrade. Its worth it. I stayed in Build...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank cptboo
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review and for acknowledging your room that was close to the beach, delicious food and the mojito you tasted from Ramon. We are proud to read that you had a great vacation and this is one of the good Resorts in the Caribbean.

I would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again and continue providing the most memorable experiences. Thank you very much for recommending us.

Greetings from Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana!!!

Corner Brook, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2014

family wedding January 2014. I didn't travel with the family as My husband daughter and I came from a different part of Canada however did book with travel agency used by bride so as to be counted as part of the group. We were supposed to get special check in but no one told us where to go so stood in line at regular desk then had to be transferred and stood in line again. There was supposed to be welcome drinks and we were not offered anything. there were three of us in the one room and we all paid the same no discount given but there were only two dressing gowns, one pair of slippers and although we asked repeatedly only two cups for the in rook coffee and only two beer in the fridge daily. The toilet was broken in the room , they did send someone to fix stayed fixed for a couple of ours , after that my husband fixed it . I also had to ask for a third card key for the room. this was "all inclusive" however if you did not want the drinks offered you had to pay extra even for usually offered drinks. The house wine was terrible and the beer was only okay. At dinner coffee and tea were not served in the dining room. Breakfast was the only meal of the day you could be assured you would enjoy. This resort is far too big and that's the problem with the meals I think. The entertainment was lacking in many ways, if you wanted to get better you had to pay extra. WE decided we would like to try one of the specialty restaurants, when I went to enquire we were advised that we had lost two of the three reservations because we did not attend. Apparently air transat have an agreement with the hotel to pre book reservations for their guests , however I did not travel air transat , although had booked with the same group that had. None of us were informed at check in that we had these pre booked reservations, one of which I might add was for one hour after I checked in.{a day later than everyone else} I then could not get a reservation at any of the themed restaurants because they were fully booked {I guess with incoming air transat customers}but they were usually empty when we walked past. The wedding itself was on the beach , a small area cordoned off with sunbathers all around us. Apparently this was not without its problems but I would let the brides mother speak to that. This is not the first all inclusive vacation I have been on and I am not overly picky however I was extremely disappointed with the entire week and would not recommend this resort to any of my friends , I don't think I would even recommend to someone I didn't like. To cap it off my daughter and I were eaten by sand fleas and had to use topical antibiotic cream and here in April I still have the marks on my legs. If you paid a more you could go on a part of the beach that they groomed everyday so much for "all inclusive". I also caught something which gave me a terrible chest infection which lasted for weeks. There was incidences of money being stolen from room safes and other items going missing also which I was informed of . Anyway I think that's all I am going to say except avoid this resort ,its not cheap except in service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Christine C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for take the time to post your recent review.

I would like to extend our apologies for the inconveniences in the room you have experienced during your stay. We sincerely regret that our overall image may have been tarnished as well as not being able to fulfill your expectations this time. We kindly ask you to accept our apologies, as is the only way to feel good, because you left so disappointed.

Greetings,

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed at this resort from 3/27 to 4/5/14 staying in building 38 which is as far from the beach as you can get. It is 1/2 mile!! They have shuttles that run constantly which make up for the distance.
First the good.
Grounds are beautiful
Beach is beautiful
Pools are very nice, clean and warm.
Food is pretty good at the buffet.
Maid service was good
Great weather.
The BAD:
Service in the buffet was terrible. It is almost impossible to get a cup of coffee in the morning. We had to ask at least twice each day. Sometime 3 or 4 times and a few time it never showed up. Same for getting as beer or sprite or a refill on wine at dinner time. There is a definite lack of training and or supervision of the servers at the buffet. I would suggest making the grounds general manager the manager of the buffet also.
Find a chair or lounger at the pools or beach is impossible unless you get up at 6 or 7 in the morning and reserve it.
Calling to request something or to report a problem is a waste of time. We called to get some ice (which there isn't ice machines in the building) with a no show. Same with getting an umbrella.
Once we got home, we found a charge for $143 US on our charge card. I am disputing this charge because I don't have a clue what it is for. Not good
Language barrier. Very few of the staff speak English. So bad that the server in the Mexican restaurant couldn't understand Margarita. I thought that was a Spanish word. Really!!!! We go to Mexico quite often and never have a problem with the language.
Not family friendly. Spring breakers being drunk and flashing their breast is an example and couple dropping the F-bomb constantly with a 13 year old within ear shot.
The Airport is a disaster- no fault of the resort...
All in all I would not return to this resort. We have been to Punta Cana 3 times and this is the third best/worst. With Inberostar being the best and Majestic Elegance coming in a close second. When we booked this trip the resort was ranked 26th of 101, now it is listed 40th. There are issues that need to be addressed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear customer,

We appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments regarding your experience during your stay with us. I apologize for some inconveniences you have experienced with some staff members and the lack of service you mentioned and the language barrier, but be assured that we are working on it, along with human resources to meet this important point.

Thank you very much for take the time to write this opinion and mention the good aspects.

Always at your disposal,

Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
#53 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!