“OK Trip”

Ranked #63 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Salt Lake City, Utah
“OK Trip”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed at this resort from 3/27 to 4/5/14 staying in building 38 which is as far from the beach as you can get. It is 1/2 mile!! They have shuttles that run constantly which make up for the distance.
First the good.
Grounds are beautiful
Beach is beautiful
Pools are very nice, clean and warm.
Food is pretty good at the buffet.
Maid service was good
Great weather.
The BAD:
Service in the buffet was terrible. It is almost impossible to get a cup of coffee in the morning. We had to ask at least twice each day. Sometime 3 or 4 times and a few time it never showed up. Same for getting as beer or sprite or a refill on wine at dinner time. There is a definite lack of training and or supervision of the servers at the buffet. I would suggest making the grounds general manager the manager of the buffet also.
Find a chair or lounger at the pools or beach is impossible unless you get up at 6 or 7 in the morning and reserve it.
Calling to request something or to report a problem is a waste of time. We called to get some ice (which there isn't ice machines in the building) with a no show. Same with getting an umbrella.
Once we got home, we found a charge for $143 US on our charge card. I am disputing this charge because I don't have a clue what it is for. Not good
Language barrier. Very few of the staff speak English. So bad that the server in the Mexican restaurant couldn't understand Margarita. I thought that was a Spanish word. Really!!!! We go to Mexico quite often and never have a problem with the language.
Not family friendly. Spring breakers being drunk and flashing their breast is an example and couple dropping the F-bomb constantly with a 13 year old within ear shot.
The Airport is a disaster- no fault of the resort...
All in all I would not return to this resort. We have been to Punta Cana 3 times and this is the third best/worst. With Inberostar being the best and Majestic Elegance coming in a close second. When we booked this trip the resort was ranked 26th of 101, now it is listed 40th. There are issues that need to be addressed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear customer,

We appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments regarding your experience during your stay with us. I apologize for some inconveniences you have experienced with some staff members and the lack of service you mentioned and the language barrier, but be assured that we are working on it, along with human resources to meet this important point.

Thank you very much for take the time to write this opinion and mention the good aspects.

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,458)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Halifax
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

We were 5 woman age 26-46 travelling from March 29-April 5. The resort is huge yes but very easy to navigate. We got upgraded so we were close to the beach. The food was good and so were the A La Cartes. Yes if you stick to the same foo sat the buffet you will get sick of it but you have variety so it's up to you what you eat. The beach wuss beautiful and you could get chairs anytime of the day. I was always up early so it was not an issue for getting a hut in the morning. Overall we had a fantastic vacation and have no complaints. I would go back there in a second. Villa 20-22 are located close to beach so if you can request those villas I recommend. Feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank CZR1976
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Customer,

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration. Thank you for your honest review and let us know that you don’t have any complains.

You are welcome to contact us for a next visit to any of our hotels that forms our Bahia Principe hotels & Resorts family.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2014

You save up your money, dream of a wonderful vacation, wait a rough winter, book your ideal family vacation, to get sick (really sick) from the water or food on the resort. Completely disappointing. Pros: the beach - clean, white sand (no sand fleas), ocean is clear and crystal green (absolutely beautiful). Small areas of seaweed but if you walk towards the Iberostar the water is seaweed free. The weather was just perfect. Hot and sunny every day. The resort was clean and well kept. Landscaping was beautiful. We did have ants in our room on the first day but we tipped our cleaning lady and she sprayed our room and left the bottle incase more were to invade our room. Cons: Food and staff. We landed on a Saturday morning and by Tuesday evening, I had the most dreadful gas pains, bloating, and diaherria that lasted the entire trip long and a couple of days after we arrived home. After visting the pharmacy they gave me a pill which helped with the pain but not the diaherria. A coworker and his wife who travelled a week prior to us, was just diagnosed with a parasite. They shared my opinion that the food was below average. There was a large variety but it seemed old, some items under cooked, some items from the day before, some items tasteless - not the type of food you would find at a 4.5 star resort. Terribly upsetting and below average. The staff - very unhappy, very ungrateful, not warm and welcoming. Upon arrival we tipped a female staff behind check in and asked if we could get our rooms on the same floor. We had two rooms. She gladly took the money, smiled and said come back tomorrow and it will be taken. The next day, and a few days later, she was no where to be found. When we did meet up with her she pretended not to know who we were. Noone was able to help out because the resort was booked solid. Note: if you get an invitation in your guest room advising you to pick up your free gift, DON'T GO! It's a sales gimmick, and they don't take no for an answer. We were called every single day to go to the Don Pablo Collection Esmeralda. Finally, I had to get a bit rude and tell them that they had to stop bothering me and that we were not interested. We are on a family vacation and don't want to be bothered. It was so close to be harassed! Another con - being told that you have to tip the bus driver, you have to tip the announcer, you have to tip everyone. We know that. We understand the circumstances BUT DON'T TELL ME WHO TO TIP. I will tip who I want to tip. We travelled with Nolitours and the bus driver had a notice on the bus asking for tips. Well just in case you didn't see the notice, the announcer repeately said to please tip the driver and himself. When we arrive to the hotel, the bus boy told us to make sure we tip well and we will be taken good care of! Just being told who to tip was annoying - especially when you are not well. And everyone is trying to sell you something. The vendors on the resort are the worst. They will grab your arm and pull you into them. My advice would be not to make eye contact or simply say without a smile not interested - no smile because if they see a smile or any sign that would lead them to believe that you may want to buy, they will hound you till you do. The entertainment was ok. Nothing to rave about. Overall, not a pleasant trip.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Pouppie
Dear Client,

Your opinion is one of our top priorities and all feedback from our guests is valued. We deeply regret the difficulties and we are sorry for not being able to fulfill your expectations during this trip. Please let us inform you that tipping in the Resort is optional, but not mandatory. We leave it to the consideration of each of our guests.

Also, we should take in consideration that certain risks are involved when traveling to the tropics. There are various factors that may contribute to illness, such as climate, temperature variation, combination of food and beverages, excessive sun exposure, personal reactions, among others.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana and for mentioning the good aspects.

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Me and my 4 kids just stayed here for 10 days and it's was .... Okay I guess. There was a show every night and they were very in teething and fun to watch but they need to be more direct on if they are appropriate for the children. We went to one and we were expecting music and dances and then I was lady's in thongs and bras and it weirded my kids out. There are these photographers that bring all sorts of animals for you to take pictures with the animals. One of the nights of the show we were walking out of the buffet and there were these strippers that pulled us into take photos with them. The cleaning lady's are amazing they were probably the best staff there (tip them). The buffet gets VERY repetitive my kids wouldn't eat it anymore getting to our 5th day. When we were trying to checkout they said it would take up to two hours when our flight left in 2 hours it was insane... There were barley any activities close to you for the children.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank elliesteidle
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear client,

Please allow us to inform you that we have a Kid´s Club, a Water Park, among other activities focus for our guest´s kids entertainment. We sincerely regret if we didn’t meet your expectations and I apologize if you did not feel good with some things.

Thank you for sharing your comments with others on TripAdvisor.

Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This resort is huge! It is beautiful and maintenance well. The "junior superior suite" can use a Little more TLC..but overall nice. Communication can be difficult, but to be expected if you do not speak the language. Whatever package you may hold will determine who many restaurants you can visit and must be booked asap or your stuck with buffet. We were able to get a reservation for the Japanese but were not informed that we couldn't sit at the traditional hibachi style grill...that was for "special people"? Overall the place was great and I would return

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank MKB729
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear client,

We greatly appreciate that you have entitled our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana as a beautiful and well maintained Resort.

I take the opportunity to invite you once again to Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts to experience the hospitality of our people, and the quality of our services and facilities.

Thank you for sharing your experience,

San Diego, California
Reviewed April 3, 2014

So I'm just going to write this out because I was confused when I first came to this resort. Basically its one resort split into 2/3 one side is the Punta Cana and the other is the Bavaro (on the bavaro side part is the adults only) There are three trams that run throughout the resort, I had no problems with them. We normally walked and staying in the 31,32 buildings we walked 5 minutes to the beach and 5 to get to the buffet which is perfect. We were also located right beside a pool. I did get bites of some sort (sand fleas or mosquitos) so maybe bring some benadryl and bug spray, but it seems like they only go after some people (so I guess i'm super sweet or something :D ).....
The food was pretty good, for being mass produced to feed everyone in the hotel. (The paella and the veg lasagna was by far my favorites) For A La Carte meals we did Japanese (basically benihanas (sp?) style) and italian (which was pizzas and pastas). As far as spots on the beach those where hard to find around 11 but going around 9-10 there where plenty available and people start clearing out around 1-2 ish so you can find them after then as well.

Tips:
- Tip your cleaning lady everyday (not only here but just in general) its not always the same person and I find it gives better service. (I left a note with my tip if I needed anything extra: shampoo towels etc...)
- bring small change for excursions and tips $2, $5 and change to american if your CAD I found it hard to convert into pesos and usually ended up spending more then I had to.
- the people selling stuff in the resort usually over charge (ex. liquor there was $20 and then we found it for $10 outside the resort)
- learned that apparently you shouldn't flush toilet paper (still did it anyways) but was more conservative on the amount used.
- Book your A La Carte when you first check in
- Buy the safe at the front desk (costs money per day)

Room Tip: choose something in between the beach and the lobby
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank ILUVTULIPS
Dear Client,

We greatly appreciate your feedback, which delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay in our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana and be assured that it is wonderful to know that you highlight the good food and the a la carte restaurants. Thank you for your tips that other clients can help them.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Winnipeg
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife and I spent march 24-31 at GBPPC-Royal Golden. This is a huge resort made up of many different properties, read the reviews carefully to ensure you are reading about the one you are researching. We had a great time, and did not hear of any theft issues, and we spoke to a lot of people while at the resort. To save time and space, I will list the reviews which I almost entirely agree with - mommaran, TOASTED-TOGETHER, JenTorontoNS, PaulD, Beachbumbuddy. Do your research, get a look at the map of the resort, ask a lot of questions of your tour operators, or the staff at the resort, and I think you will enjoy your stay here. FYI the Royal Golden section are all two story buildings, and the perks (for the extra cost) are probably worth it.

Room Tip: Depending on the extra cost, upgrading to the Royal Golden section provides some nice perks.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank giardino1
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Giardino,

Your opinion is very important for us, because you take the time to read other review and took your decision of coming because of this. Your comment represents a challenge to maintain the magic that makes our dear customers choose for their holiday destination Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

It will be a pleasure to cater you once again in our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
#53 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!