“Amazingly beautiful ( and clean) resort.”

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #65 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Fruitland, Maryland
“Amazingly beautiful ( and clean) resort.”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Just home from Punta Cana. Was the most relaxing and beautiful vacation i have had in years. From check in to check out every step was easy and efficient. Very impressive. It was spring break so i worried about taking my family of 4 with children... Not the case. It was perfect! We upgraded to gold which was well worth it. We stayed only a 2 min walk from the beach and pool/ pool bar. To be able to get shade under the huts i did go get our area set up at 6 am however that early walk was well worth the view and breeze of the early morning. The food was just amazing. I have picky eaters, not a problem here! Waffle bar was a hit! The walk to water park was a great opportunity to see the resort. However shuttles were constantly available if you wanted to skip the walk. The staff was always smiling, singing and friendly. The grounds were just amazing! Constant attention being given! Just in planning purposes i would bring a few beach towels. They are available but all blue... Mine stood out so was easy to find when coming up from the water and pool. Rooms tend to be cleaned late in the day. Which worked for us because we stayed out till 5-6. Bring travel cups with lids for refills ( my friend had already told us this) bring bug spray. Once the sun goes down i had a few bites. Which I'm prone to getting. My husband never had any problem. I have to overly comment on the cleanliness here. The rooms, the beach, the walkways, every inch were constantly maintained.
I highly recommend this beautiful resort! I cant imagine a trip any more spectacular and relaxing than this. Couples, families, friends of All ages do not hesitate to book and enjoy yourself. I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2014
7 Thank Pearce156
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Pearce,

We are pleased to read that you had an amazing, relaxing and beautiful vacation good your family in our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. It is fantastic for us to read that you recommend our Resort for couples, families and all people that want a relaxing vacation.

Looking forward to seeing you next year in this unbelievable resort! Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,475)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We went in late January and had a perfect time, there was not one thing that we ever needed. For the amount of people at the resort it never felt crowded. Amazing beach and great trip loved it!!!! I would recommend this resort to all

Room Tip: go with the hacienda villas
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amydavemmnf
Dear Amy,

It is a pleasure to know at we were to provide you everything you needed and it is wonderful to read that you consider us as the best hotel where everything was perfect.

Thank you for recommending us to all and for preferring our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana

Regards from the Caribbean!

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We just got home from our two week stay at the Bahai Principe Punta Cana and had a great time. People tend to write their worst experiences on here which deters other potential clients... but all in all it was a fun trip.

The hotel is HUGE... at the orientation I think they said there are 7,000 people plus staff? so there is lots of walking....

Positive comments: (which highly outweigh the negative)
-Very friendly staff
-beautiful grounds
-great (and an abundance of) food (the buffet was just fine... the only specialty restaurants we liked were the Japanese, French and Sante Fe/Mexican restaurant -- and we did them all)
-lots of excursion options (we went zip lining and Bavaro Runners learning about their coffee, cocoa, sugar cane etc production)
-I rarely noticed people at the hotels section of beach selling stuff... so that was nice
-the entertainment crew was great... funny pool games that always had the crowd’s attention
-people say the walk is too long to the lobby.... from the pool to the lobby is probably like a 10-12 minute walk and was totally doable!

The negative comments:
-we got eaten alive in the evenings... so be sure to bring bug spray!
-one group in our parties room key continually didn't work, and its about a 10 minute walk to the lobby each way, so that was annoying for them
-you need to be at the pool by like 7AM in order to reserve yourself pool loungers
-don't forget your sunscreen because it is $26USD at the gift shop!
-room service menu was very limited and really not that great
-beds were average
-there were people walking around trying to get you to take pictures with animals.. Sometimes birds, sometimes monkeys, iguanas, and sometimes HUGE snakes, which I hate!
-it seems like you need to tip the maids more to get room refills (coffee, beer, etc)

Room Tip: we upgraded to the royal golden suites, which were closer to the beach, further from the lobby. nice...
3 Thank Ush02
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is a pleasure for us to read you had a nice family trip in our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. This communications give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Thank you for mentioning the positives comments which highly outweigh the negative!!!
Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Hamilton, Canada

Canadian March Break 2014
Stayed in Royal Golden Section building 3

Room:
Great room but on 1st level by the Esmeralda Street to noisy! Used ear plugs all week! service traffic early morning and trolly back and forth into the we hours of the night. Close to beach which helped us snag a lounge chair under a Palapa at 7 Am every morning in order to get a spot on this crowded beach you have to play the towel game or you wont find a chair after say 9am breakfast. Also forget about towel art here as there were always different people taking care of your room and what really bothered no personal attention here, you were lucky if the room was cleaned by 3pm!? Beds are to0 hard for my liking, stiff back.

Royal Golden service: is really only good for being closer to main pool and beach and one more Al A Cart dinner that's it!

Beach and grounds: are kept in great shape.

Food: Main Buffet by entrance I would rate average with good quality but the same choices everyday , they could have changed it up. Al A Carts were good our favorite was the Garden grill.

Overall we have traveled many times to Cuban resorts and this was our 3rd trip to DR and would I come back to this resort I would say No , we found it to large and impersonal, for example the resort was at capacity on the Amber and Esmeralda side also and you felt like for what we paid that the staff were just to busy to really care about your holiday and give you the attention you deserve as there are like 5000 other people they had to take care of!

Room Tip: Royal Golden building 1-3 are close to beach, get a room not right on Esmeralda street too noisy!
2 Thank Tigercat2014
Dear client,

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to from some of the staff. Please allow us to inform you that, despite the size of our Resort, appropriate measures have been taken in order to ensure guest satisfaction and expected quality of each of our service. Please accept my apologies in order to change your negative impression about the lack of attention or service you mentioned.

We sincerely appreciate all feedback which gives us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance.

Always at your disposal,

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Be prepared this resort is big, I actually found myself laughing at how many people were at this resort and how efficiently the management and staff had it running. It is nothing short of amazing that this resort can shuttle so many people through it with so few issues. The week I was there I had no issues other than a faulty hairdryer that eventually got fixed (island time) but done with a smile. I witnessed several other people with issues and it is mind blowing that people find it the fault of the resort for these things, such as the internet???, my excursion and ala carte times conflict???, i can't get into the ala cartes at the same time as the rest of my 18 year old girlfriends who were here 2 days earlier???? I heard so many complaints from people who just would not be happy anywhere. When on holidays you have to relax and take it easy.The trams are needed... and work perfectly, I never waited for one more than a couple of minutes. The buffets on the other hand are wild! with tourists who must feel the resort is about to run out of food at any second, I found it embarassing, the dominicans must think this is how we act at home . A smile and proper ediquette will make the difference of enjoying this resort or not. When you know you are going to a big resort and understand that this resort and the staff have it all under control and can offer a great vacation they will deliver.
Transfer; excellent like it is to most hotels in Punta Cana 1/2 hour tops.
Check in; fabulous, with Air Canada Vacations it was done on the bus (but forgot the towel cards)
Food; exactly the same as any other 4 or 5 star resort in Punta Cana (after going to over 20 all inclusives 5 in Punta Cana) you do not go here for the food (it is done well, lots of it but it is a buffet) Ala Cartes; Mexican- Good, Japanese - fun, Steak not so much.
Rooms; Just fine can use some renos but I am sure they will come right now very comfortable
Maid; effective and polite. Mine would not have taken a thing out of our room, I don't believe theft stories (as much as I do drinking by the pool till 6 pm stories)
My worst memory about this place will be the lounge situation. I was literally up at 6:30 one morning and could not get a seat unter an umbrella on the beach. I personally witnessed people putting towels on pool loungers at 7 am an the going to the beach for the day and coming back in the afternoon to the pool. I get that this is a grey area for the resort but I think if a lounge is obviously being hourded at 11am just take the towels off and use them (I did and no one ever said a thing to me).
This resort was fun for the week I saw great things for children, kids, teens and teens with adult wristbands. This resort would not be my first choice as a senior or couple looking for a quiet getaway unless you like to watch the action. This hotel should be complimented for the way they handle a huge amount of people they move through it and how 90% of the time they do it while smiling (I couldnt do it).
Remember don't sweat the small stuff and don't consider yourself more important than any other tourist there and you will have a great time at the Bahia.

Room Tip: Loved our room building 14, every building has something different going for it. Close to this or th...
4 Thank therealdeal08
Dear client,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your feedback.

Please rest assured that your observations about reserving chair at the beach have been shared to the General Management of our Resort to analyze the points you mentioned.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Barrie
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Well this time it was my wife and a friend that traveled to Punta Cana. This is her report.My self and a girl friend traveled Feb 26th for 1 week to this resort.
I will start by saying that the resort was clean, food good, entertainment good and staff friendly - but TOO BIG. We were told that there were 7200 people in the resort at that time.And as many people have already said we also had to get up at 6am to get a lounge chair anywhere with or without shade. This did not make for a restful vacation. We had purchased Royal Golden up graded room, but I would say that it was not worth the money. We had requested an upper floor room for safety and possible bugs and musty smells. We were told the resort was full and we would have to try in a couple of days for a different room. As we were only there for one week we decided to try the room we were given. We had been placed in a room on the ground floor not too far from the swamp and had to walk in that area every day to go meals or pool. The smell not so nice sometimes.. And we did have several encounters with cockroaches - but you are in the tropics

The worst part has been since we have come home - WE CANNOT GET THE MUSTY SEWER SMELL out of our clothing and the smell is now in our washers.
If anyone has had the same problem that may have been at the resort during that time period or even since then we would like to know.
We have logged a complaint with our travel agency and they are forwarding our concerns to Air Transat.

It is too bad as the resort is beautiful, but has become too big and I would not rate it as a 5 star.
I understand that if you stay in the Esmeralda or
Ambar sections that they are great are you are not even aware of all the people in the main resort.

My husband & I had stayed at the Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado last year and it was great, I thought this resort would be similar - but not so.

Will not return to this resort - will move on to other destinations

Room Tip: if you go insist on a higher floor room or choose the Ambar or Esmeralda sections of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank RDBCAB
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear client,

We sincerely regret the inconvenient you mentioned and that situation have tarnished our global image from you. On behalf of all our staff we ask our sincere apologies.

We hope to have another opportunity and honor us with your visit in order to change this negative perception about us.

Your sincerely,

Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I visited this hotel in June 2013 with 2 friends. The hotel campus were extremely beautiful and we were welcomed with T-Shirts and Rum.

The main restaurants had very delicious Dominican food and the deserts were simply to die for. i ate passion fruit and coconut everything! Also try a shot of Mamajuana with each meal.
Although the food was delicious the restaurant staff were not very attentive. It was an all inclusive hotel however all the alcoholic drinks were made with tons of syrup and barely any alcohol.
The rooms were very nice however one of our rooms had a really bad smell. We complained and the "cleaned" however the odor still remained. Eventually they gave us a new room.

Be sure to buy some art and Larimar jewelry from the haitians in the court yard. The guys are really nice and we even became friends with some of them. They will all try to get you to buy from them but be firm and prepare to haggle. Pay no more than 50% of their first offer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Natalee B
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Nat,

We greatly appreciate that you praised our good Dominican food and the desserts. It is a pleasure to learn that you were delighted with our gastronomic offer.

We hope to welcome you in the near future in our premises to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Best regards,