“Wonderful family vacation!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #60 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Gatineau, Canada
“Wonderful family vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed at the Royal Golden in March 2014. We had a wonderful time! The resort is huge but people are well dispersed. The property, pools, restaurants and public washrooms were clean. The staff was very nice and helpful, especially Leidy at the reception of the Royal Golden, Felix at the Buffet, Miguel at the waterpark and Wilson at the middle pool! My kids (3 and 5) REALLY enjoyed the waterpark and so did we because it is a quiet space to hang out and watch the kids play.
The food was REALLY good, lots of variety, nice presentation, etc. We ate at 4 restaurants and enjoyed it especially the Mexican and Mediterranean ones. We wanted to try the Japenese and Garden Grill but they were full for the week (even though we made our reservations on the 2nd day)... The room was nice but the cleaning staff seemed to cut the corners round a bit (the patio door was left unlocked once... could be problematic when you are at ground floor, the fridge was not always refiled and the floor was a bit dirty even though they seemed to have cleaned it). However, in order to get our fridge refiled, it was just a matter of going outside our room and ask any cleaning staff to get was we needed and they were always helpful.
I was often hard to get a chair at the beach or at the pool but this is because some people will kind of reserve them by putting their towel on them even though they are not in that area. What we did is that we used those chairs and if people would come and say that it is "their" chair , we would let them have it back. This only happened once during our whole time there! This is not only a Grand Bahia Principe issue but more a common practice of the visitors in resorts in general.
In conclusion, we really enjoyed our stay at the Grand Bahia Principe and would return with no hesitation!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Gen_1234321
Customer Servic... B, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Gen,

It is a pleasure to know that you had a wonderful family vacation with us and also that your kids loved our water park and had fun there. Post such as yours motivates us to continue striving towards excellence.

We really want to welcome you once again to experience another great Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Greetings from the Dominican Republic,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brandon, MB, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

Loved everything about this resort and it's location. The resort is extremely well kept. Big, who cares! Its what you make of it. If its too big there is always the cart/shuttle system to drive you around. I have arthritis in my hip and still walked from the poppy to the beach - granted I needed a "slow moving vehicle" sign on my back but I was able to do it. It was quite relaxing. Yes we were there over spring break. We were able to find busy party areas and quiet romantic areas. It was the best of everything. We had the luxury of trying most a la carte restaurants on the whole property - most were excellent. Don Pablo was my overall favourite, then Maikio Japenese we sat at the table with the fancy cooking, Garden Grill was good for BBQ (not to be confused with the BBQ a la carte - did not try), le Olivio was great - felt very special dining there + Don Pablo. I could keep listing them all but you would think all we did is eat (there was a lot of that going on!) Rooms were very clean, beds comfortable but we hardly spent time in there. Nice chocolates at the turn down service.
The beach was clean and I would say far surpasses Negril Beach! Thought I would never say that in all these 20+ years! The sand was soft, there was so much walking we could do. The water was great. A little wavier and cooler than the Caribbean but very refreshing. I liked the sand bars (not the drinking kind) Every day they changed location.
Most importantly the people at this resort were very warm and friendly.
PS if you like to stay up late you may want to bring bug spray especially if you like diet free also don't forget your sunscreen, you will need it!
You can get by with English but take a Spanish phrasebook with you and/or learn some basics. its fun and it goes far when they see you try!

Room Tip: All their rooms are similar so it depends are you a late nighted and like to sleep in or do you like...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ilove2Swim
Dear client,

It is wonderful to read that we provided you an excellent experience and you loved everything about our Resort, which really reflects the commitment and quality of service we want to reflect.

Also we love to read that we fulfill your expectations with the a la carte restaurants and to hear that you learned some new phrases in Spanish.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Punta Cana.

Burlington, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

I came to the Grand Bahia is November 2012 for my sisters wedding. There were approximately 18 of us going.

I really didn't enjoy my stay here and I am one not to complain however,

CONS:
FOOD&SERVICE- The food was absolutely terrible and what more to be negative about was the service. Service was honestly terrible. I usually ate my meal before the staff came and asked me what I wanted to drink. This left a very bad taste in my mouth. I have traveled to Cuba and have paid less and received more service and better tasting food then here in Punta Cana.
RESORT- The resort was VERY large for my liking. You had to travel 10-15 minutes to get to the beach from your rooms or take a trolley to bring you to the beach.
BEACH - isn't very clear to my liking. I couldn't see my feet through the sand/mud and this is a huge deal to me.
EXCUSION: Most of the family got together and went on the catamaran excursion. I did not enjoy it as the engine failed and a little small boat had to attach to us and carry us back to the resort. I was very disappointed.

PROS:
Room- Spacious and clean.
Entertainment- Amazing and allowed my sister to participate on her wedding day.
Club- Very fun; went every other night
Casino- Very nice to have a casino on site especially for such a large resort.
Pool- lounged by the pool most of my trip; it was clean and the bartenders were great.

I don't mean to be so negative however this was the worst trip I took minus my sisters wedding day. The only good thing to point out about is the service provided for my sister on her wedding day and the wonderful entertainment team.

Save your money and go to Cuba instead!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Machcinska
Dear Guest,

Your opinion is very important to us and you can be sure that we will never cease our efforts to comply with our guests’ needs and expectations. We are really sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with our services and were disappointed, we sincerely regret you did not like our food and drink concept.

Thank you for take the time to post this review and at the same time for highlight our spacious rooms, amazing entertainment team and clean pools.

Kindest regards,

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed at the resort from March 3-10th and I can honestly say the experience we had with the hotel was grossly dissapointing!
On arrival we were checked into two rooms - one bed each for a party of 8 people! The hotel was full, and they offered no compasion or understanding at the front desk at all. We were redirected 4 times over 4 hours to have ultimately someone say they could do nothing for us till tomorrow. We had an appointment to meet with the manager in the moring... Guess what - a no-show and not available. We had to go through it all over again - and let me mention with 4 little kids in-tow!
Ultimately they gave us two rooms with two beds well into day 1.5 of the trip - and offered hotel services as compensation. Guess what - the only way the service was not to be charged (WELL AFTER THE FACT) was if we signed a waiver absolving them of any wrong doing!

Do add to that debacle - they wanted pictures of passports, and would not provide a copy of the said document for us to have!

The grounds and resort were nice physically - but the hotel and hotel service well bellow standard.

Our one room had "liquid" driping from the ceiling in the bathroom of unknown origin - eeewww!
Again took hotel 1.5 days to look into it and repair!

Lastly, after all was said we checked out with an additional $20 charge to our room for bungee cord excursion. The same activity we paid for in cash to the convenor. Hmmmm... Though we ultimately did not pay for that as well - we did get another "mystery waiver" thrown at us while the crew "pockets" the fee????

I can honelsy say, I take the reviews with a grain of salt, but I thought it only fair to share our experience as this was most probably the worse customer service I have ever experienced. The re-direction, the tone and anger of the front dest staff, the complete lack of understanding to two families travelling with little children made this a hotel and chain one that I most definately would never entertain staying at, and would easily share that opinion to my friends and family looking for recommendations on where to stay.

Trully a dissapointing experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear client,

We deeply regret the difficulties but please let me explain you that room’s assignments are subject to availability and may not always adjust to the exact necessity of our guests and also please be advised that the documents because of internal policies of our company it is not possible to deliver to our guests.

We sincerely apologize that our overall image have been tarnished, as well as not being able to fulfill your expectations.

Best regards,

Edison, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have been to MANY island all-inclusives, including Punta Cana. What I loved about this resort were the staff. They made us feel like family and were SO nice and helpful. That being said, this is not a resort I would come back to. Number 1, it's too big. I think it's 2-3 resorts that were combined? I like seeing the same crowd at the swim-up bar every day. They become our vacation buddies. I don't think I ever saw the same people twice here. I didn't mind the long walks to the lobby and beach - I counted it as exercise! The food was mediocre and the lines were always too long. It seemed like on Sunday the buffet was cut in half which made it even worse. The other restaurants were OK - I like the Japanese one the best. The drinks were poured heavily if you asked. But again the lines were really long (at every bar). The pool entertainment was non-existant (unless you wanted to get your picture taken with an animal or person and buy it later). There was no beach entertainment and the beach bar NEEDS to change it's music. Listening to Michael Bolton 24/7 was annoying. The MOST annoying thing has been mentioned by others. If you don't get up at 6am (or earlier) and put a towel out, you WILL NOT get a chair. This is insane. I don't need to stress out every day over such a stupid issue. We literally only had chairs ONE day - and we put towels out on our way home at 2am. Fights would break out on a daily basis. GET MORE CHAIRS!! Rooms were clean, fridge was stocked. Since we were on the first floor Ieft with 30-40 mosquito bites. And the room was never cool - ever. Bottom line: excellent staff, clean rooms, food/bevs OK, too big, get more chairs

Room Tip: Avoid first floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan W
Dear Susan,

We appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments regarding your experience during with us.

Please allow us to clarify that despite the size of our Resort, the proper measures have been taken in order to ensure our customers' satisfaction and the expected quality of each of our services. I would like to inform you, that we are working with the concern about chairs to avoid this kind of situation from reoccurring, but it is not allowed and not necessary to get up early and put towels to get chairs.

We regret to hear that we didn´t achieved your complete and entire satisfaction.

Always at your disposal,

Bahia Principe Bavaro
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana in March, 2014.

Overall, it's a great place. The only issue is it's HUGE. 7,000 people huge. They handle the volume well, but personal service simply isn't possible.

The room was nice, although the cleaning staff are, shall we say, uninspired. Things are wiped, but never cleaned, if you understand the difference.

The food is ok, but bland.

The two biggest problems are the EXTREME shortage of pool and beach chairs (you need to be up no later than 6am to place your towel or other items on the chairs, and PRAY they're still there later....theft is rampant......we witnessed dozens of shouting and pushing matches between people who stole spots), and the insects. We (and by 'we' I mean everyone we spoke to) were eaten ALIVE by some unseen critters that leave huge welts that itch more than anything I've ever felt before.....not mosquitos, but more likely some kind of sand flea or something tiny. NOT bedbugs...this happened outside during the day.

These two reasons alone will ensure we never return.

But the resort itself is beautiful, and the staff are very friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second and third floors are far less likely to have cockroaches.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brian H
Customer Servic... B, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Brian,

All feedback from our guests is valued and be assured that we will never cease our efforts to comply with our guest’s needs and expectations.

Please allow us to clarify that despite the size of our Resort, the proper measures have been taken in order to ensure not only our customers' satisfaction and the expected quality of each of our services, but also we are constantly working in the matter with the chairs at the beach to avoid this kind of situation from reoccurring.

We regret to read that we didn´t achieved your complete and entire satisfaction but thank you for recognize our beautiful and nice Resort.

Always at your disposal,

Bahia Principe Bavaro
Grimsby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed with my boyfriend Feb 7-14 2014 and we had a great time! Weather was perfect, the beach was beautiful but we spent most of our days at the pool. Pools were huge and not too cold. It was my first time in Punta Cana, I've been to Mexico, Spain, etc but I really loved Dominican. This was my boyfriend's fourth time and he said he only wants to go back to Grand Bahia Principe. The food was amazing. So much to choose from at the buffet and the a la cartes we great too. We tried the Mexican, Japanese and Steak house a la cartes and the Japanese was our favourite. We also went on a couple day trips - Outback Safari and Dr Fish Ocean Spa. These were both great. The Michael Jackson show at the resort was a lot of fun too! Our room was nice and clean and we slept well. We were on the third floor of 17 and I wouldn't have even known anyone else was in that building it was so quiet. It was a great vacation for us and we'd definitely go back. We'd like to try out the Ambar or Esmeralda next time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank K A
Dear KA,

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to read that you had a great time with us. It is wonderful to know that everything was perfect and you would return next time to our Luxury`s one.

It is good to know that you enjoyed so much the weather, excursions and the Michael Jackson`s show.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
#57 of 110 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 10,089 reviews
Iberostar Dominicana Hotel
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!