“1st choice? Worst choice”

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #64 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
London, United Kingdom
“1st choice? Worst choice”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My Brother booked this family holiday in July 2013 as a break for 8 adults. On arrival on 11th February we checked in only to find that the "low floor/twin room" which had been requested, (specifically for my "walking" disabled niece and myself), was in fact a king size bed on the second floor! After consultation with reception, we were advised that no room was available and would have to stay there until room was available elsewhere. This meant living from our suitcases for two days before transfer to another villa. Unfortunately this was some distance from other members of our family. Sadly this was only the beginning of our misfortune. We had to contact our Rep. and reception on many occasions for problems within our allocated rooms. After a couple of days we had a leak from the bathroom above ours into our bathroom, along the side of the bath and across the floor - not good for anyone walking into the room! Having reported this it took 3 visits, several attempts to discover the source, including the removal of the ceiling panels! but this was still evident when we left on 25th February! The socket in the room was only just hanging on to the wall and our patio door had to be fixed as it could not be locked (having been warned about security!). The spotlight in the ceiling became dislodged from the ceiling in the bathroom (due to excessive water?) and was left hanging for 3 days after we reported it to reception! Only then after several reminders! From the beginning we had an invasion of mosquitoes every time we opened a wardrobe door, and when eventually we became totally miserable with being bitten, we requested to have the room sprayed. During the first week the Hotel welcomed 500 Campus Students on a Spring break who completely took over the resort - including both pools and all bars in the vicinity! The noise was encouraged by entertainment team members around one pool area which could be heard from a great distance. Many guests were woken by noisy, disruptive students returning to rooms in the small hours. Finally, memo to holiday Company - review your brochure description as it does not mention that access is available by walkways to all the sister hotels making this a massive development! The only "Grand" adjective applicable here was the size of the hotel area! A holiday never to be repeated.

2 Thank Marion D
Customer Servic... B, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Marion,

We regret not having been able to achieve our main objective with you, which is our guests´ entire satisfaction. All feedback from our guests is valued, I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences at the beginning in your room, but please let me inform you that rooms location are subject to availability and may not adjust to your exact request.

We would like to cater you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities, and be able to change the negative perception.

Warmest regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,472)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Havelock, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My fiancé and I went to the grand bahia principe punta Cana to get married. I can say that the wedding was great. We took 31 people down ( including ourselves) that was our wedding party. We were told that you needed a minimum of 16 people to get the wedding package we wanted , NOPE .thats the max ,after that you have to pay 20 dollars per person. This wasn't told to us till two days before the wedding. They wanted 500 dollars if we brought our own photographer. As the bride and groom we were told we get an extra a la carte. WRONG.!!!! We fought with guest services just to get the three we got. They changed the times on us and changed the restaurants on us the day we had them. We were told we would get a room upgrade as the bride and groom WRONG AGAIN!! We took 31 people and 10 got sick and it wasn't from drinking . My wife was so sick she couldn't get out of bed so I went to get her food and you think the manager at the Buffett would let me take her food!! NO WAY!! It took me about 35 minutes before I could get a plate of food to her. It wasn't till I lost my calm in the middle of the Buffett and caused a big scene that the guy got room service to come take the food to her. The cleaning lady we had was awesome and did a great job I can say that. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS RESORT!!

Room Tip: Don't expect a room upgrade even if it's part of your package!!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria R
Customer Servic... B, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Maria,

The guest satisfaction and quality service is what we strive for. With this aim in mind, feedbacks such as yours are very important to us. We are deeply sorry for the inconveniences and it is a pain to know that you were disappointed in this trip.

Please let me inform you that it is not allowed to take food from the buffet, but we can always manage with the Manager to get an authorization to do it or to get room service.

We regret not being able to fulfill your expectations.

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is a beautiful resort, and would stay there again. A few problems that need attention: Upon arrival had to wait at least a half an hour to get someone to take us to our room. We had to keep asking ourselves, got no real direction from front desk when checking in. When we finally arrived at our villa, the room card didn't work. The bell boy had to drop someone else off and then return with the "fixed" card. Fifteen minutes later he returned, and it still didn't work. At this point it was close to n

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Smith,

We are pleased to read that you would stay again in this great resort. Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate the points you mentioned that we need to improve, please be assured that we give the importance it deserve and applying it to our daily operation.

I sincerely apologize for some inconveniences you encountered during your check-in.

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana was a lovely resort. Around 400 university students occupied a good chunk of the resort and it was a blast. The hotel is absolutely huge and they offer car trolleys to take you from spot to spot. But if you prefer to walk, it was only about 10 minutes max to get some the buffet to the beach. The weather was pretty good, we went Feb 16-23 and only had two days where it rained for a bit then stopped.

The buffet wasn't bad but a lot of the food was the same and there was not much variety. Breakfast the omlettes were great and there was lots of options. I would not reccomend the Mexican A La Carte restaurant, the appetizer buffet was 100 times better then the meal itself, we found it hard to shovel down the entree. I would definitely reccomend the Japanese buffet, it was amazing and there was a lot of food to munch! We heard the French A La Carte was amazing so definitely check that out.

Considering the large amount of people I went with, the staff was amazing! We were given chocolates a few of the nights we were there, they called to make sure we had everything we needed and they were always offering to help us. So great job to the staff & employees!!

The beach was absolutely beautiful, no jelly fish or sea urchins like they mention and the water was quite nice. The swim up bar was really nice as well and there were different areas in the pool where you could lie down and relax or just dip your feet in. I would definitely go back to this resort and really don't have anything bad to say.

Room Tip: Suggest a villa near the beach or pool depending on your preference.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear customer,

It is an honor to know that our personnel is providing our guests the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.

Thank you for recommending us and it is a pleasure to know that you would definitely come back to Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana

Regards from the entire team.

Montreal
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in 2009 and was impressed at that time. I went back this year with family and it was truly disappointing. I stayed in the Royal Golden section and it was not worth it. The food at the buffet is the same everyday. There is no 24/7 room service to speak off. The hotel is in a state of disrepair with everything falling apart. We had to call the technicians in every day as there was something wrong. There was no real entertainment worth seeing - compared to other hotels that I have stayed at in DR and Cuba, the entertainment was truly awful. The place is infested with mosquitos. We renamed the hotel reception lounge the mosquito lounge as you couldn't stay there for too long without being bitten, and this despite the deet that we lathered on our bodies. The service varies but we had a maid from hell who wouldn't do her work and even when we complained, she retaliated. For the money that we collectively paid, we would have been better off on a cruise or in Cuba rather than in this place.
The place was also crowded with students who were on spring break and the hotel was overfull. The rep told us that they did not have enough staff to cover the entire place which is why we had no response to our requests for missing items in the rooms. There is no inspection of the rooms when they are ready so our room didn't have all the amenities.
Overall, I would not recommend this hotel and I am surprised that Air Transat which was our carrier would actually recommend it or peg it as a five star.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground flour have a mouldy smell, stay away from them. The buildings are 3 floors h...
Dear Yasmin,

We would like to take this opportunity to offer our most sincere apologies for, in this second time, we were not able to fulfill your expectations.

Please let me inform you that we follow insects control programs and strict programs of fumigation, which are carried out continuously. However, due to our tropical climate and the landscaping that surrounds the Hotel, the presence of mosquitoes coming from the exterior may not be avoidable at all times.

We look forward to serving you again and we really want to change your mind in order to make your next vacation a worth remembering one.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My family and I stayed in 2 rooms in Villa 71 from Feb 17-24. I was nervous what to expect reading the other reviews, but this resort was amazing!! You can find negatives anywhere if you look for it, but we found it to be awesome.

Check in/out - No issues here. We waited about 20 min in the lobby for our room to be ready at check-in. We also got a little tram to take us and our luggage to the room. We called the customer service number the day we left and the same mini-tram came to get us and our luggage to check out. Welcome drinks when we checked in were a nice touch too!

Beach - BEAUTIFUL!! No problems finding a lounger (even at 10-11am). Fun activities on the beach every day... Definitely recommend the salsa and bachata lessons! 50 Cent was the best teacher!

Drinks - Delicious and strong!! We didn't tip every drink but maybe $1-2 per day. Bartenders remember your name after 2-3 days and have your drink ready!

Rooms - No complaints here. Our room location (Villa 71) was perfect; central to everything. About halfway between the lobby and the beach. Very clean and after tipping the maids, we got very cute towel decorations! Bathrooms were a bit humid but very clean and no issues with not having hot water when showering (even between 5-7pm). Mattresses are a tad hard for my taste, but it's a massive resort and I wasn't expecting to have a plush bed haha.

Food - Ate at the main buffet for breakfast and dinner when we did not have a-la-carte reservations. It was pretty good! Not too much salt or seasoning but I wasn't expecting a 5 star meal there anyways. A-la-cartes were delicious!!! Especially the Mediterranean (El Pescador) and the Japanese (Mikado). Service was pretty good and we know minimal Spanish and had absolutely NO problems communicating!

Resort overall - Yes, this is a large resort with 4 different hotels but we knew this when booking. There is a lot of walking, but also there are convenient trams that run every 5-10 minutes on the main streets of the resort! We used them a couple of times when our feet hurt after dinner and dancing, but other than that we were fine to walk! The lobby of the GBP Punta Cana was gorgeous! The caramel cappuccino out of the coffee machine is to die for! We also went into the Pueblo Principe (a little town-like area towards the front of the resort) for some shopping. Good prices! The casino was fun for a little bit of gambling, and the night club was cool! There was also a water park for kids, but since we are all over 18, we didn't venture out that way.

Overall, this was a splendid vacation and we found no serious complaints!! You have to remember that you are not in the USA/Canada when coming to the Dominican! Life is different, you are on Dominican time here. I wouldn't say this is a 5 star resort, but it is very close. I would come back to the GBP in a heartbeat!! Hope this review helps someone as the negative reviews are not an accurate representation of this hotel.

P.S. Do not bother going to the Esmeralda tour (Privilege Club) unless you are serious about buying a time share/condo. They said it would take an hour, it was almost 2. But we did get two free t-shirts and a mini gift set with rum, honey, and vanilla.

Room Tip: Ask for Villas 71, 72, or 73. These were the perfect location to be central to everything. A/C fan...
3 Thank SunGoddess521
Customer Servic... B, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear customer,

It is wonderful to know that you experienced a lovely vacation thanks to the special treatment in our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana and to read that you truly enjoyed this amazing hotel.

Thank you for your words, which push us to struggling and being the best.

It’s our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts to continue demonstrating you our commitment to excellence.

Warm greetings from Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Punta Cana.

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I went with my boyfriend 2/20-2/24. I was skeptical of this resort after reading previous reviews and unfortunately I should have gone with my instincts. Upon arrival at 5pm, our room was not ready and there were many staff members in our unclean room inspecting. We didn't think much of this and come to find out, we had bed bugs. We met alot of friendly tourists and had a blast during our stay, however majority also complained of having bed bugs. We tried making dinner reservations immediately and we're told we only get 1 reservation night. The buffet is not the best of food and the restaurants were not much better. The trip is what you make of it and over all we had a great time but would never return or recommend. I strongly suggest the catamaran excursion to sauona island if you do plan a trip. I will certainly be contacting my travel agent and anyone else necessary regarding the bed bug situation.

• Stayed February 2014
5 Thank jacquelyn812
Dear Jacquelyn,

We would like to thank you taking your valuable time to post a review.

Please let me inform you that Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts has as a consultant an international and well-known company named Cristal America, which on a frequent basis audits our hotels in all Hygiene and Sanitary procedures.

Moreover, please note that mosquitoes and bed bugs look exactly the same and sometimes they can be confused. As well, after checking carefully our internal documentation, we have not found any case of bedbugs in our Resort.

We regret to read that you would not return to this Resort.