New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #53 of 107 Hotels in Punta Cana
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Manage expectations and you will love this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Yes it is a big resort...and yes, there are a lot of people staying there and did get very busy...........BUT the resort is beautiful, the grounds are immaculate, the pools big and clean, the beach is a little crowded but great, the sea a beautiful turquoise and deliciously warm. Getting around the resort is easy as the trams run all over the place...so you may have to wait or bit or (shock horror) actually walk!! Man, there are a lot of lazy people on trip advisor :-) The rooms are adequate, comfortable enough, without being spectacular, but I didn't come here to sit in the room...the service, as someone said is hit and miss..... our room was cleaned well and the additional tips helped. The service in the a la carte restaurants was great and in the main buffet place it was decent. Some Spanish is a must and it helps greatly. Some of the employees seem a little unmotivated but as there are over 1,000 employees here, it is understandable a simple reality of life!!
Whoever complians about the food is just extremely fussy.......it was good and the Garden Grill and Pescador were very good......Mexican and the Japanese were good too and the buffet has everything. How anyone can complain about the food is beyond me.......the beach snack bars were great too for a quick lunch time snack. The trips we had outside of the hotel were both good, especially the half day trip to swim with the sharks and stingrays.......Kids club entertained the kids and the water park, although for smaller kids, was cool!! Overall a great trip, I would recommend the resort.........wouldn't return simply becos I like to go to new places (maybe Ssamana or la Romana next)! Great deal, great time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MarkyMarkDC
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Client,

For all our team working is rewarding to read that we were able to meet your expectations and to know that enjoyed a great rip.

We are looking forward to welcome you in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Warmest regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,305)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

This was our second time staying at a Bahia Principe resort and we had a great time from Aug. 9-16, 2013! Since it was our second time we were upgraded to VIP but I dont think it made any difference...just given more access to different parts of the resort but since no one checked wrist bands it seemed as if anyone could go anywhere. We stayed at a Bahia in Jamaica, but this Bahia in Punta Cana was overwhelmingly big. It was a huge resort with many different sections. It took a few days to really know where things were but luckily there were trams all over the resort to get you around. They ran very frequently. My son loved the kids waterpark and liked being in the kids program. ... Although we probably liked the kids program more than he did. We did a great excursion called the Caribbean festival. We loved it and there was a promotion on that allowed our six year old to go for free. Overall a great trip for families as there are many activities and so many different pools to swim in....
Some downfalls..
-way too big
-hated the food...but my son and husband seemed ok with it
-no real consistent kids activities in the mini scouts kids program...perhaps a schedule of daily activities that is displayed somewhere would have been good so that parents know what the kids would be doing each day
-great service was hit or miss...sometimes rooms were cleaned early, sometimes you would get great waiters and waitresses
-there were many people that worked there that spoke little to no English....some may be annoyed by this but I loved it....it reminded me everyday that I was on vacation and I was forced to learn some Spanish. ...many spoke French as well so my husband was able to use his French.

Overall we had a great time!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank TravelFranc
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you had an excellent family trip in Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. On behalf our General Manager and all staff members we would like to thank you for vacationing with us and for sharing your experience which is very important to value our daily development.

We do hope you consider visiting us in the near future.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Yours sincerely,

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I would like to start off by saying this was a destination wedding with about 60 people. So this trip was not the most relaxing vacation. I have never been to a resort this large and I don't think I'd ever want to again. Everything was way to spread out. Any restaurant you wanted to go to was either a 15-20min walk or a shuttle ride away. The resort was located pretty much in the middle of nowhere so outside of the resort activities, there wasn't really much to do. They've built a little community of shops and what not at the front so people will have things to do without leaving the resort, but that's it (this is also good because it's away from all the rooms to bother anyone who is sleeping at night).
The people were very friendly and I noticed it was a mix of younger and older people (though leaning a little to the younger crowd).
The food was fine...nothing extravagant, nothing to complain about. If you do the a la carte...DEFINITELY book the French restaurant, it was VERY good!
I will say that almost everyone on our trip at some point or another had stomach problems...and by that I mean diarrhea.
The most upsetting thing was that the day we were leaving, we left a camera in the room (with the memory card in it with many wedding photos on it) and after trying to contact the resort many times after we returned home...no one had seen it or heard anything about it.
The camera was not a big deal...it was more about the photographs that were lost.
All in all...the wedding and experience with friends were great, but I personally have no desire to return.

Room Tip: Pick a room closer to the beach. The resort is SO large that if you are on the beach and forget some...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank camjts
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We sincerely regret that our overall image may have been tarnished with this unfortunate situation.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again and be able to change any negative perception and experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Warmest regards,

Porto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We travelled to BP Punta Cana in the start of August13.

Positive aspects:
1.The facilities are awesome, with a real waterpark for the kids, minigolf course, tennis, football... everything you can imagine and the gardens are stunning: Beautiful and very well maintained.
2. The pool areas are very good. The 2 pools in the middle of the complex are very quiet but the pool next to the beach is very noisy with some US style animation... But the pools are huge, very well decorated, perfect for the children and always very clean.
3. Beach is really nice, very clean, with lifeguards included and always secure. No problem with non-authorized sales or circulation of strange people. We felt always very secure. The beach animation is very amusing.
4. The transport system along the complex is efficient, with short waiting times. Very funny also... The complex is very big, but you can walk easily inside from your room to the beach.
5. The waterpark is really nice for children. My kid could live there for the entire week, i guess...
6. The rooms are big and confortable, but some of them seemed a bit older. Our first room had a water flood in the first night we arrived. The maintainance staff came quick and solved the problem, but there was water all over the floor. I demanded a new room and the hotel supervisor came to our room, asked for eventual damages, gave us another room and a upgrade to a silver bracelet, wich was very valuable in all the stay (we could have lunch and breakfast in a much more quiet Mexican restaurant near by the beach). He was very nice and efficient.
7. The night shows are very good and the entertainment lasts for more than 2 hours.

Negative aspects:
1. The hotel was fully booked. This means you will get lines for almost everything, but the worst scenario is the dinner time. Long-time waiting lines guaranteed. As we had silver bracelets, we could lunch and take the breakfast in Mexican Restaurant near the beach. This restaurant is much more quiet.
2. The a-la-carte restaurants we tried were worst than the normal buffet. Don't worth the time lost on booking them and the service is very slow.
3. The food quality and variety is not bad, but the desserts are really low-cost type. The fruit is bad and the ice cream was probably the worst i tasted in my entire life...
4. The "towel booking" tradition is really annoying. If you don't get on the beach at 7.am you won't get a shade and a sunbed. And believe me, there are plenty of them...
4. The reception staff (except the supervisor we met) is the opposite they should be. No simpathy, no smile... nothing! Robot-type staff. When i check-out, not even a thank you was given from the guy... I'm not even asking for the basic "have a nice flight home and we hope to see you soon in the future" normal behaviour. A complete desaster and a mass-turism effect. This is probably the worst issue on the entire experience. You just fell like one more sheep in the process and that´s not pleasant...

So, in resume if you can avoid the high-season overbooked dates, you will get a wonderful experience. The weather is fantastic, the beach is stunning and the hotel is very beautiful and with excellent entertainment areas for all the ages.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are more mosquito-proof at the end of the day.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cmgdo
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are happy to know that all your family was delighted by the activities and services provided in Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort. We sincerely appreciate all feedback which allow us to evaluate our daily performance.

It’s our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again!

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Receive cordial greetings,

Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

This was my second experience at Bahia principe hotels. The first one was in Mexico (Akumal) but this one over perform the former in almost every aspects, with the exception of the beach, as Beach at Punta Cana are not very kids-friendly (due to waves and some wind). But even the beach is quite good but above all very beautiful. The facilities are good and animation is permanent either at the swimming pull either at the beach. The rooms are quite good but if you want a better service do leave a tip every morning. I noticed that this hotel is the choice of many American tourists. Some bachelor parties become the evenings not very pleasant for kids at the swimming pool. Restaurants are good as the variety of the food served. The sun chair reservation (not allowed) is a common practice that you should keep if you want to have a place to rest after a swim, so wake up early in the morning. Have fun

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank nmfa
Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort and to learn that we were able to succeed your expectations.

Thank you for your comments and we are looking forward to welcome you back again.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in Punta Cana.

Kindest regards,

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

It was my first vacation to an all inclusive and it would set my expectations on what a vacation would be like. Check-in was 9pm and was completed on the bus onroute to the resort, our representative greeted us with big smiles and had our "packages" with key cards, maps and schedule of shows as. Upon arrival Bags were promptly taken straight to our rooms. Overall the resort seemed very clean, we stayed in building 11 on the 3rd floor, no inspects,bugs and I was happy with the room overall and was in the middle of the action. I wish my minibar was refrigerated but was told by the front desk they didnt work, so that was useless. We went Aug 3rd to 10th. Very chill, not too many people, never had a problem finding a spot at the beach or by the pool. The staff was not overly friendly, nor did they seem to go "above beyond" ever, yet I still tipped every time I was served. The staff just do "what needs to be done" but not above it. At times I had to wait 10-15 minutes just for a coke at the buffet, so better off drinking water. The food was decent and edible but I wouldn't say it was "excellent" or mind blowing, i didnt mind it and it wasnt a deal breaker. We had 3 a la cartes however none of our first choices were available so we settled for the less popular ones. It was annoying to find out people who checked in after us and went to guest services even days after got their preferred reservations (luck of the draw?). The animation team, and people like William were great and helped keep things lively and fun, but the rest of the staff didnt seem to be happy. In general I enjoyed my vacation and would return to this resort because it was clean and well kept but I would set my expectations lower on the staff. The only rude encounter I had was with Emile Lansky who worked the helicopter desk. I was trying to decide what time and he seemed to be annoyed and even said "can you decide?". I just said forget it and didnt bother. Hopefully next time I get to try some of the popular a la carte's and explore outside the resort.

Room Tip: Building 10-11 is in the middle of the resort (half way to the beach, and main buffet) but besides t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angelo M
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Angelo,

For all our team it is great to hear that you were pleased during your first trip to the Dominican Republic. Thank you for sharing your experience which has been taken in the highest consideration.

We hope to welcome you in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Best regards,

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel and the people were so nice and dedicated to their work and crafts. If you can speak some Spanish you will have no problem here. Most employees speak some English. The food was excellent but is cooked differently than we are used to in the U.S. the Buffets run most of the day and night so being fed is not a problem.
You only get three dinners per family per stay any dinner after that will be extra charge. Make sure you make dinner reservations the day you arrive. The lines are sometimes long to make reservations but worth the wait. Take a lot of one dollar bills. Tipping is a must if you want some extras or some help but always tip first and not after. I never exchanged any currency. Most places you go to take u.s. dollars. The rooms were nice although we were not in them much but the floors are all marble so watch your step. You have to make reservations for any activity the day before you want to do it. There are many free water activities but if you have not done them before there are lessons to do for an extra charge. Don't get caught in any promotions or sales there, they don't take no for an answer and want you to spend thousands of dollars.
Try to treat yourself to the Bahia spa, it is a wonderful experience. Take lots of sunscreen. It is 24.00 u.s. for one bottle. We booked two excursions through the hotel. We had a great experience for sure. The snuba, speed boat tour is just wonderful. The dolphin tour is also. We heard the zip line is also very nice. The pools are very nice. The beach is fantastic. Lounge chairs are abundant at both places but try to get out early and put a towel on your chair to keep it or just be patient and one or two will become free. No rooms sit on the ocean and some are a hike to the beach, but trolleys run day and night. We never had a problem getting a trolley.
Night life is abundant and there is also a kids room that you can leave them in and feel safe with them being there.
Overall the Bahia Principe is a great place to stay for the cost. It is well ran, well kept, you feel safe there and full of things to do for all ages.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Peanutpit
Dear Client,

We are pleased to hear that we were able to achieve your expectations and it is nice to know that you had great memories from paradise.

Thank you for sharing your impressions concerning your experience and we hope to see you in the near future in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in the Dominican Republic.

Warm regards,