“A beautiful paradise to make so many lifetime memories at.”

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #66 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Ohio
“A beautiful paradise to make so many lifetime memories at.”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel and the people were so nice and dedicated to their work and crafts. If you can speak some Spanish you will have no problem here. Most employees speak some English. The food was excellent but is cooked differently than we are used to in the U.S. the Buffets run most of the day and night so being fed is not a problem.
You only get three dinners per family per stay any dinner after that will be extra charge. Make sure you make dinner reservations the day you arrive. The lines are sometimes long to make reservations but worth the wait. Take a lot of one dollar bills. Tipping is a must if you want some extras or some help but always tip first and not after. I never exchanged any currency. Most places you go to take u.s. dollars. The rooms were nice although we were not in them much but the floors are all marble so watch your step. You have to make reservations for any activity the day before you want to do it. There are many free water activities but if you have not done them before there are lessons to do for an extra charge. Don't get caught in any promotions or sales there, they don't take no for an answer and want you to spend thousands of dollars.
Try to treat yourself to the Bahia spa, it is a wonderful experience. Take lots of sunscreen. It is 24.00 u.s. for one bottle. We booked two excursions through the hotel. We had a great experience for sure. The snuba, speed boat tour is just wonderful. The dolphin tour is also. We heard the zip line is also very nice. The pools are very nice. The beach is fantastic. Lounge chairs are abundant at both places but try to get out early and put a towel on your chair to keep it or just be patient and one or two will become free. No rooms sit on the ocean and some are a hike to the beach, but trolleys run day and night. We never had a problem getting a trolley.
Night life is abundant and there is also a kids room that you can leave them in and feel safe with them being there.
Overall the Bahia Principe is a great place to stay for the cost. It is well ran, well kept, you feel safe there and full of things to do for all ages.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Peanutpit
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Client,

We are pleased to hear that we were able to achieve your expectations and it is nice to know that you had great memories from paradise.

Thank you for sharing your impressions concerning your experience and we hope to see you in the near future in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in the Dominican Republic.

Warm regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,481)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I must start off by saying I never write reviews, but I felt it was my duty to do so because of the horrible experience I had at the Grand Bahia! My cousin and I arrived August 8 to a complete and utter debacle. Let me start off by saying the only saving grace was the supervisor Adrian who went above and beyond to make our stay better. We knew we would be arriving early, and let the hotel know that we would need an early check in which they said wouldn't be a problem. Lies! We were told 15 minutes, and lets just say that turned into 2 hours! OK, so we get to the room, and guess what the air conditioner and refrigerator are broken, and their is hair all over the floor. The balcony door was broken. It was a disaster, so we go back to the desk and complain, and are told that if we would like to upgrade we would have to pay $35/night each which is up surd. Finally the supervisor Adrian stepped in and changed our room, but we didn't get to this room until 5:30. Pretty much the whole day was wasted!

The other issue is the resort is huge. It is 4 hotels pretty much on a huge compound, and in order to get anywhere you have to take a trolly or walk and everything is so far away from each other. Its exhausting!!! The beach is a good 15 minute walk from the lobby where the buffet is. Way too much work for a vacation!!!!

The people at the front desk are completely incompetent, and there is a definite lack of communication. My mom called 4 times with the room # and was hung up on, or sent to the wrong room finally she gave up!

Last but not least the food! The food at the buffet is comparable to JAIL HOUSE SLOP!!!!!! It was the worst food I have ever encountered at an all-inclusive. It was disgusting and my cousin and I were sick throughout the whole trip because of the terrible food. I felt like I was being poisoned!!! YES IT WAS THAT BAD!!!! This really put a damper on our trip since we were sick the whole time. I literally got nauseous from just looking at the food. We just ate bread and pineapple for the rest of the trip. We also ate at two of the restaurants; the steak house and Japanese place. They were ok, way better than the buffet but nothing great.

All in all the hotel is extremely disorganized, there is a definite lack of communication, and it is way too big for any quality to exist. Punta Cana is a beautiful place, but if I ever go back I will definitely stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Giselle T
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Giselle,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Hotel.

Regarding your comments about your experience, allows us inform you that on those days and taking into account the high occupancy, we cannot conclude that our hotel is the causative of your illness. Our hotel follows a very strict hygiene, quality and security program monitored by the international company Cristal.

We apologize for any inconvenience and we sincerely regret not being able to fulfill your expectations.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Still here at the bahia punta cana our 11th day. We stayed here 2 years ago with our 2 kids which are now 8 and 10. Great time 2 years ago, not so much now.
1st room was a single bed for 4 of us and the a/c and outlets didn't work. After 7 days of trying to get a roll a way bed and going to the front desk they have us room #2. Full of mold and sewer was backed up with a very bad smell. 3 days later and room number 3 the room has black mold all around the a/c unit and light switchs are all broke. Not sure what to do know but just try to make the best of the rest of our vacation.
Rooms need updated BAD!!! Showing horrible wear in 2 years. The front desk and staff are nice and helpful, but are very limited on what they can do by upper management from what I've been told.
We are now staying in the number 20 villa and hopefully management will read this and help us fix whats left of our vacation. Our ext is 20111.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Erick C
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Erick,

We truly appreciate your feedback. Our guests´ opinions are very important for us. Please rest assured that we are taking your observations into great consideration and have been transmitted to the Management.

Best regards,

Denville, New Jersey
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My family of 7 stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana 7/13 for 7 days. We used Dominican Quest for our hotel transfer. $90.00 round trip for 7! They were waiting for us and the trip to the hotel was uneventful. We were able to get 3 rooms all on the first floor in the 1800 building which is close to the lobby, theater and buffet. All rooms had king beds which left it inconvenient for the children, sister in law and mother in law but there was a sofa bed. Rooms were acceptable but could be updated (flat screen TV). Safe didn't work for 2 days. The beach is a 10 minute walk but there are frequent trolleys. Beach is clean and pretty. Need to get out at 8am to put your towel on chairs if you want shade. Pools have activities and are clean.

Buffet and a la carte restaurants are acceptable. No complaints except for the wire my daughter found in her fried ice cream in the Japanese restaurant. They sent us a fruit basket but who needs that at an all inclusive! We ate a the Japanese, Tex-Mex and French and enjoyed all 3. You absolutely need to email the resort 2 weeks ahead of time to reserve the restaurants. They will send for an email confirmation. When you check in the meal tickets will be waiting for you. If you do not do this, don't expect to eat at the a la carte restaurants.

Most of the staff speak Spanish only but I did not see a problem with this. We did take the snorkeling trip using the glass bottom boat right from our beach. Fun but not great snorkeling for $50.00. The shows were also acceptable and they had 2 performances each night. This is the only time you need the bug spray. Casino is small and dingy but I did win $80.00 playing the penny slot machine. There is also a comedy how by the casino but it is in Spanish.

Overall, for less than $1200.00 per person it was a great trip .

Room Tip: Book the restaurants via email 2 weeks before.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Janine D
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Janine,

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration. We are happy to learn that you had a great family vacation.

It’s our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in the Dominican Republic.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was our second visit to the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. I will not go anywhere else in the Domenican. My Family and I Love this resort for many reasons.
The Rooms: Not always perfect but very comfortable and roomy. if you have any issues, just call the front desk and they will send someone to fix the problem very fast.

The grounds: Simply gorgeous, clean pretty bushes and trees with bananas and coconuts. workers are always cleaning! For me, its like paradise!

The Beach: Just beautiful, soft sand always clean lots of lounge chairs and shade. warm ocean water. Again....Paradise!

The Pools: Large and clean, lots of lounge chairs and bars with good quality beverages! Just ask and be nice and the service will be great!
Lunch buffet by the pool was fantastic! We love the food, always fresh and tasty, good wholesome home style food of all sorts.

The main Buffet for dinner and breakfast are just as good, lots od variety and almost different every night.
We did Japanese, Italian, French and Spanish for the a-la-carts. All good but the Spanish was the best!
The lobby is a nice place to go for drinks and listen to live music at night after dinner. So many servers coming around serving drinks. plus there is a self serve coffee bar which is nice.

The shows at the theatre were very entertaining! you must see the Michael Jackson and disco nights!
The Pueblo is a nice place to hang out at night as well. Shops and venders and an outdoor theater

So this is why We love coming here for vacation, why go any where else when we have found paradise at the GBP.PC
I highly recommend this resort

Just a shout out to the staff at the Royal Golden for the great service they give! Just walk in the office and they will be happy to help you if you need. Jose checked us in so fast and easy. He also made sure we got a bell boy cart to accommodate the 7 of us. Thank You Again Jose!

We had 3 rooms in villa 9 July 12 to July 19 2013

next summer we will be coming for a 2 week visit for sure!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Sam b
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Sam,

We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers. Jose and all our staff members will be delighted with your comments.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon in your second home, Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

New York
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I went to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana with our one year old son from july 28-august 2. We have been to DR about three times this being our fourth. I have never been impressed with this vaca spot but wanted to give it one more shot. It is very beautiful, but we find the people/employees are rude and unfriendly. This spot proved me right about that. Check in was ok we had to wait for a room because we arrived early and we asked for a crib. They had no maps which is horrible since this location is very large and actually like three resorts in one. (by the third day they finally had maps, which we basically figured out our way by then, nothing in the room with a map or restaurant times/locations either) They put us on the second floor with a baby in a stroller and no elevators this was never going to work. So we had to call and request to be moved, you would think that would have been a given! They moved us thankfully with no issues to a first floor. Our room location was good in the middle of beach location and main lobby/buffet location (building 10) The "train" service was ok, we walked mostly unless we were going from one far end to the other. The bugs were horrible, thankfully I brought bug spray as per another reviewer. They had sand fleas or something by the beach and snack bar area.
They do have free lobby internet but I had trouble at times getting on some times ad at night it is very dark and loud in the lobby area.
For the time we stayed we were only allowed 3 specialty restaurants for dinner reservations. We never got to any of them. With the baby we needed an early time and they had the dressy French one available one night and of course my husband was not well with that! Then the Japanese they gave is we thought it was on Tues night and when we showed up and realized it wasn't that night we were turned away. She told us it was for the next evening, yet when I checked our slip it said not until Thurs night. We kept returning to the customer service desk and were told nothing else was available, everything was booked. Very sad. So we had to go to the buffet. The food was ok, nothing special. One night they did have seafood theme and that was the best our entire trip. We had a few waiters that took to our son and were very nice to us. The woman who blocked the door to squirt sanitizer in our hand actually tried doing it to our one year old son! I had to stop her! It amazed me that they did that yet every time we got a highchair for him it would have nasty food on it and you could tell they never even wiped them down, forget sanitizing thos! Thankfully I brought my own wipes and had to do that for every seating.
The beach was nice, very tight tho and they blocked off with chains areas for the other part of the resort. Which was weird. The undertow was strong so be careful with little ones. The waves were larger than normal maybe due to a passing storm.
I wont be returning to the DR area, there are too many nice friendly and fun islands that I've been that its not worth the money. You can get the resorts cheap but pay the taxes and departure fees and you might as well go some where much nicer.
On a side note when I returned home, I thought I lost my wallet (thankfully I did find it) but I contacted the resort by email and phone. They never responded to my email and the phone calls went no where. They kept transferring me and hanging up on me!! The last one I spoke to I told them I was calling from the USA and it was expensive and please no not hang up. They said please hold and then eventually never came back to me!! I told them I just wanted to be sure nothing was found in my room after check out because I thought I lost my wallet and they said ok hold on, and hung up. After three times of that I gave up and I was SO happy I finally found it. This again confirmed I will NEVER return to DR.
Suggestion: go to Cancun (Riu) or Jamaica (Riu or Sunset Beach Resort)!!!
I hope this helps others, happy travels everyone!

Room Tip: building ten is nice and in the middle of the complex
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 2TravelNutz
Dear Client,

Your opinion is one of our top priorities, now that we are seriously committed to the achievement of our guests' satisfaction.

Even though you feel a bad breath with this unfortunate situation, and we do not want you to have a mistaken perception from us, we would like to have the opportunity to host you once again in one of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

We deeply regret any negative situation you have experienced.

Kind greetings,

Newark, Delaware, United States
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Me and my family were there for four days, and it was the best vacation we ever had. From the moment we walked in to our last day everyone was courteous and helpful. The resort was immaculate manicured, with beautiful gardens, the room service was excellent and the buffet food spectacular. There were lots of activities to keep my 12 year old twin boys , and my 15th year old daughter entertained and active. They enjoyed the water sports, with so many to choose from. The refrigerator was stocked daily with plenty of cold drinks for my kids, and cold beer which my husband loved!!!

Overall, I am happy to recommend this resort to anyone looking for a good, solid, all-inclusive resort. It is a particularly good choice for families looking for a lot of variety.

The Cintron family will definitely be back for a longer stay, we loved it!

Happy Cintron's

Room Tip: The Bavaro rooms have excellent service, and they're in fantastic conditions.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Nicky C
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Nicky,

We feel proud to read that you had a wonderful vacation and to know that you recommend our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. We work hard to provide unforgettable experiences and we are more than happy to learn that you enjoyed your family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.