“simply the best!!”

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #66 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was our second visit to the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. I will not go anywhere else in the Domenican. My Family and I Love this resort for many reasons.
The Rooms: Not always perfect but very comfortable and roomy. if you have any issues, just call the front desk and they will send someone to fix the problem very fast.

The grounds: Simply gorgeous, clean pretty bushes and trees with bananas and coconuts. workers are always cleaning! For me, its like paradise!

The Beach: Just beautiful, soft sand always clean lots of lounge chairs and shade. warm ocean water. Again....Paradise!

The Pools: Large and clean, lots of lounge chairs and bars with good quality beverages! Just ask and be nice and the service will be great!
Lunch buffet by the pool was fantastic! We love the food, always fresh and tasty, good wholesome home style food of all sorts.

The main Buffet for dinner and breakfast are just as good, lots od variety and almost different every night.
We did Japanese, Italian, French and Spanish for the a-la-carts. All good but the Spanish was the best!
The lobby is a nice place to go for drinks and listen to live music at night after dinner. So many servers coming around serving drinks. plus there is a self serve coffee bar which is nice.

The shows at the theatre were very entertaining! you must see the Michael Jackson and disco nights!
The Pueblo is a nice place to hang out at night as well. Shops and venders and an outdoor theater

So this is why We love coming here for vacation, why go any where else when we have found paradise at the GBP.PC
I highly recommend this resort

Just a shout out to the staff at the Royal Golden for the great service they give! Just walk in the office and they will be happy to help you if you need. Jose checked us in so fast and easy. He also made sure we got a bell boy cart to accommodate the 7 of us. Thank You Again Jose!

We had 3 rooms in villa 9 July 12 to July 19 2013

next summer we will be coming for a 2 week visit for sure!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Sam b
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Sam,

We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers. Jose and all our staff members will be delighted with your comments.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon in your second home, Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Always at your disposal,

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I went to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana with our one year old son from july 28-august 2. We have been to DR about three times this being our fourth. I have never been impressed with this vaca spot but wanted to give it one more shot. It is very beautiful, but we find the people/employees are rude and unfriendly. This spot proved me right about that. Check in was ok we had to wait for a room because we arrived early and we asked for a crib. They had no maps which is horrible since this location is very large and actually like three resorts in one. (by the third day they finally had maps, which we basically figured out our way by then, nothing in the room with a map or restaurant times/locations either) They put us on the second floor with a baby in a stroller and no elevators this was never going to work. So we had to call and request to be moved, you would think that would have been a given! They moved us thankfully with no issues to a first floor. Our room location was good in the middle of beach location and main lobby/buffet location (building 10) The "train" service was ok, we walked mostly unless we were going from one far end to the other. The bugs were horrible, thankfully I brought bug spray as per another reviewer. They had sand fleas or something by the beach and snack bar area.
They do have free lobby internet but I had trouble at times getting on some times ad at night it is very dark and loud in the lobby area.
For the time we stayed we were only allowed 3 specialty restaurants for dinner reservations. We never got to any of them. With the baby we needed an early time and they had the dressy French one available one night and of course my husband was not well with that! Then the Japanese they gave is we thought it was on Tues night and when we showed up and realized it wasn't that night we were turned away. She told us it was for the next evening, yet when I checked our slip it said not until Thurs night. We kept returning to the customer service desk and were told nothing else was available, everything was booked. Very sad. So we had to go to the buffet. The food was ok, nothing special. One night they did have seafood theme and that was the best our entire trip. We had a few waiters that took to our son and were very nice to us. The woman who blocked the door to squirt sanitizer in our hand actually tried doing it to our one year old son! I had to stop her! It amazed me that they did that yet every time we got a highchair for him it would have nasty food on it and you could tell they never even wiped them down, forget sanitizing thos! Thankfully I brought my own wipes and had to do that for every seating.
The beach was nice, very tight tho and they blocked off with chains areas for the other part of the resort. Which was weird. The undertow was strong so be careful with little ones. The waves were larger than normal maybe due to a passing storm.
I wont be returning to the DR area, there are too many nice friendly and fun islands that I've been that its not worth the money. You can get the resorts cheap but pay the taxes and departure fees and you might as well go some where much nicer.
On a side note when I returned home, I thought I lost my wallet (thankfully I did find it) but I contacted the resort by email and phone. They never responded to my email and the phone calls went no where. They kept transferring me and hanging up on me!! The last one I spoke to I told them I was calling from the USA and it was expensive and please no not hang up. They said please hold and then eventually never came back to me!! I told them I just wanted to be sure nothing was found in my room after check out because I thought I lost my wallet and they said ok hold on, and hung up. After three times of that I gave up and I was SO happy I finally found it. This again confirmed I will NEVER return to DR.
Suggestion: go to Cancun (Riu) or Jamaica (Riu or Sunset Beach Resort)!!!
I hope this helps others, happy travels everyone!

Room Tip: building ten is nice and in the middle of the complex
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank 2TravelNutz
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Client,

Your opinion is one of our top priorities, now that we are seriously committed to the achievement of our guests' satisfaction.

Even though you feel a bad breath with this unfortunate situation, and we do not want you to have a mistaken perception from us, we would like to have the opportunity to host you once again in one of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

We deeply regret any negative situation you have experienced.

Kind greetings,

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Me and my family were there for four days, and it was the best vacation we ever had. From the moment we walked in to our last day everyone was courteous and helpful. The resort was immaculate manicured, with beautiful gardens, the room service was excellent and the buffet food spectacular. There were lots of activities to keep my 12 year old twin boys , and my 15th year old daughter entertained and active. They enjoyed the water sports, with so many to choose from. The refrigerator was stocked daily with plenty of cold drinks for my kids, and cold beer which my husband loved!!!

The Cintron family will definitely be back for a longer stay, we loved it!

Happy Cintron's

Room Tip: The Bavaro rooms have excellent service, and they're in fantastic conditions.
5  Thank Nicky C
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Nicky,

We feel proud to read that you had a wonderful vacation and to know that you recommend our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. We work hard to provide unforgettable experiences and we are more than happy to learn that you enjoyed your family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Always at your disposal,

Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Bahia Principe with our two adult children in early August. We had a great time and found the resort to be clean and well maintained. It wasn't perfect, but what is? Below I offer some insights, information and opinions based on our experience. I will happily answer questions.

The Resort. When booking, I was as confused as you probably are. The resort is huge and is made up of many sections or “mini resorts”. The main complex comprises the Bavaro resort (or section) and the Punta Cana section. Each has their own lobby and buffet, but shares the pools and other restaurants. There is also a “premier” section of the Bavaro resort. Not sure why it is called that as it is farthest from the beach. This is a good section to stay in if you have young children as it is closest to the water park and miniature golf and a short walk to the shopping area and Bavaro lobby. The other sections include the Ambar (adults only) resort and the Esmarelda (luxury) resort. Each of these has private pools, lobby and other amenities. Commoners (as designated by different colored wrist bands) are not allowed in the exclusive pools or restaurants, but guests in these sections seem to have use of the pools and amenities of the Bavaro and Punta Cana resorts. We stayed in the Punta Cana resort in building 3000, which was close to the beach and the beach pool, and next door to Esmeralda. We thought it was a great location. There is little point requesting an ocean view room as there aren’t many.

Rooms. We arrived at the hotel at about noon and were told we would have to wait until 3pm for a room. We ate lunch at 1pm and were able to check into one of our two rooms at about 2pm. The rooms are nice. We had a king room which was very comfortable. The two double bed room we reserved for our two grown children didn't materialize, so rather than fight through the language barrier to get the room types we reserved close together, we settled for the two king rooms and my son slept on the sofa. The air conditioning worked well and the refrigerator and coffee were stocked daily as advertised. Room cleaning was hit and miss. Some days the room was clean when we returned for lunch and on one day it was not yet cleaned at 5pm. We paid for the use of the safe for peace of mind at US$7 per day. Purchase at the front desk when you check in as they code it to your room key.

Food. We ate at the buffet for lunch and dinner on our first day. There was a wide variety of food and the quality was good. We were also entitled to select from three "a la carte" restaurants during our stay but were told they were sold out. We were advised to check in with guest services each day, and got a different story about the process and availability each day. This system is a disappointment and an area that the hotel needs to improve upon. We did as asked and received a "lucky" opening for 6pm at the Mediterranean restaurant. Honestly, the experience was not great. The staff seemed untrained and the food was not very good. The best part of the meal was the buffet salad and appetizers that came before the main course (which we could have gotten at the buffet). We tried again the next night and got an early seating at the Mexican restaurant. Meh. Again, the buffet portion was better than the main course. Oh, and slacks for men are not really required in the a la carte restaurants. Shorts and collared shirts for men are fine for all but the French restaurant. Ultimately, while it is nice to dress up and be served dinner (at least once), we decided to eat at the buffet on our last night and looked forward to it. Moral of the story, the buffet is a great option and the a la carte restaurants are over-rated. The lobby buffet has a theme each night and there is plenty to choose from. Particularly if you have young children, this is the best option.

Beach and Pools. The three or four main pools are large and, though crowded, seemed to have plenty of room. There are pool activities throughout the day which are fun (but loud). They do try to mix things up every day for variety. As previously mentioned, there is great pool for young kids and a miniature golf course in the “premier” section of the Bavaro Resort. The beach is also very nice. You do need to go out very early to reserve chairs by the pool or beach. Even by 7am the selection can be limited. Make sure you keep a pool towel or two overnight to be able to do this. The winds pick up in the afternoon, so we discovered it is best to at the beach in the morning and try to find a spot by the pool after lunch.

Getting around. I read a lot of complaints about the size of the resort and the difficulties with the trams. I think some people just like to complain. You really can walk from the beach area to the main lobby in about 10 minutes. The trams run frequently and there are 3 routes. We never waited more than a couple of minutes. We did not find this to be much of an issue, particularly if you hopped on at the ends of the routes. If you were waiting in the middle of the route, you might have trouble getting a seat on the tram, particularly before meal times. Frankly, if you are in the middle of the resort, you can walk to either the lobby or beach in less time than it takes to ride the tram.

Evening entertainment. We saw the Michael Jackson show at the outdoor Tropicana theatre on our first night. Our expectations were low but we were pleasantly surprised. The show was very good and "Michael" was an excellent dancer. Highly recommended. We also saw the circus show. It was also very good. There are two shows each night. One at 8:20 and the other at 9:30. Some of the staff start the show dancing to the Bahia Principe theme song. It is still stuck in my head. Oh, and bring bug spray because the mosquitos will feast on you at the theatre and lobby bar in the evening. Seriously, bring the heavy duty bug spray and use it in the evenings. The bites start as small red dots (you discover the next day) and develop into a two-day itch you won’t soon forget. Seriously.

Shopping. The shopping at the Pueblo Principe is very interesting. We recommend going there in the evening after dinner. There are more people shopping and the merchants seem less aggressive. One of the nights (Friday in our case) vendors were set up on the back side of the lobby. The sellers were pushy, but in a friendly way. I suggest that you enjoy the cultural experience and play with them a bit. Don’t accept their first price. Engage them. If you are reasonable, they will be too.

Internet Access. If connectivity matters, be prepared to be frustrated. There is free wifi in the lobby, but it isn’t great, particularly during peak times (evenings) when half of the resort is trying to connect. You may be able to get email and check facebook, but anything that requires a lot of bandwidth (facetime, uploading photos, etc.) will be sketchy. I also bought an internet card to access internet in the room. It cost US$50 and is sold in the lobby gift shop. I was able to get my email, (which is what mattered to me) but internet sites would not load. You have to refresh the login each day and it only allows one device to be connected with the username and password. It may work better for you, but my family and I did not have much luck using iphones, ipads and a blackberry.

Staff. There are a lot of comments regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. I tend to agree that many the staff spoke very limited English which made communicating beyond the basics difficult. I would not say that the majority of the staff went out of their way to serve. Most were friendly though. Some were outstanding, particularly the entertainment staff.

Beach salespeople. There are a number of people walking up and down the beach selling things. We have been to a number of resorts in the DR and this is just part of the deal. Again, the best advice is to enjoy the cultural experience and play with them a bit. They are a great source of information. We had fun talking with them.

Golf. My son and I played the Punta Blanca course which is right next door. We corresponded with the course by email at teetimes@punta-blanca.com prior to our visit and had a confirmed tee time. We were picked up at the lobby by golf cart 30 minutes before our tee time and brought back to the resort following our round. Our experience at this golf course was consistently positive. The deal we had with our package was US$55 per person which included the cart and the use of the driving range. It also included water or soft drinks at the start and a sandwich at the turn or completion of the round. You can read my review of the course under the Punta Blanca link.

Overall, I am happy to recommend this resort to anyone looking for a good, solid, all-inclusive resort. It is a particularly good choice for families looking for a lot of variety. If you are particular, want to be pampered, or are otherwise difficult to please, book the Esmeralda. If you have questions about the resort, let me know.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the tram lines are probably noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank jc1traveler

Dear Client,

We really appreciate this detailed review and let us inform you that we are happy to hear that we were able to meet your expectations. Guest experiences are the key ingredient to assist us with elevating our services and standards.

Thank you for recommending family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Receive a cordial greeting!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We dropped off several people at different resorts to and from the airport. None of them compared to Grand Bahia Principe. The rest of the grounds are even better than the first impression. Every square inch is immaculately manicured with the most beautiful flowers, bushes and palm trees of every sort. Loved the beach and the pools. Food was good. The people were very pleasant. Room service could be faster and Jim Beam should be included! We're cruisers, really, but we wanted to try an all-inclusive and this did not disappoint. We will go back.

Room Tip: Get the Golden package. We were in building 3 on the Punta Cana side. It's worth it to be able t...
2  Thank John W

Dear John,

We are satisfied to hear that you find worth to acknowledge our immaculate environment, good food and pleasant personnel. Rest assured that your observations have been taken with great interest.

We are already looking forward to have you with us again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in the Dominican Republic.

Warm greetings,

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The worst checkin ever. Strolled around to 2 different properties with a one yr old baby and luggage in 95F afternoon, baby almost dehydrated before they checked us in. No apologies were given. Rude and worst customer service. They only want to cater to Spanish speaking customers. Very incompetent management, all staff is out in the wild, doing there own thing. Bed bugs in the room. No choice in restaurant reservation. We stayed from 7/27 to 8/4, villa 9.

3  Thank Gautam V

Dear Gautam,

In relation to your comments on our personnel, please allow us to inform you that it quite surprise us, since our staff is certainly committed on offering the warmest welcoming. We would like to take this opportunity to extend our apologies for any inconvenience.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked the Royal Golden Package. We stayed at village #6. It was a great disappointment; Our room did not have enough lights, mirror in the bathroom was old and dirty, missing light bulb was not replaced after many request, coffees & sugar was not refilled. There is no AC in the lobby's area. The Internet service was really bad. Strongly recommend Do not stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Dalienca
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Client,

We regret very much that we were not able to fulfill your entire satisfaction this time. Thank you for bringing in to our attention your observations which have been taken in the highest consideration.

Best regards,