“Amazing Vacation”

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #64 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just returned after spending a fabulous 1 week at Grand Bahia Principe - Punta Cana. There were 17 of us (all family) and from the moment we arrived at the resort, we were taken care of, from checking in to being assisted to our rooms 8203 & 8202. The staffs were marvelous and very helpful and provide outstanding services, the rooms were extremely clean and the maid was very friendly, the buffet served excellent food, great beach, pool was awesome and grounds were well maintained. I would like to thank Domingo Reyes, General Service Manager, from the Royal Golden check in office for his hard work and efforts to make our stay comfortable. Also many thanks to Juan Carlos and William at check in office, a job well. We would definitely return to this resort.

Sandra K

Room Tip: I would recommend the Junior Suite in Villa 8.
5  Thank Sandra K
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Sandra,

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to have provided you an outstanding experience, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

Thanks for your comments and looking forward to seeing you soon at our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in the Dominican Republic.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Let me start off by saying I am 24 years old so this review may not pertain to all. We stayed there a week from July 3-10 and everything was fantastic. The staff is very nice and they are always looking to make your time memorable. Rooms are very clean, we were in building 3 and that was very close to beach. The shuttle runs until 3 am so there were a few times I had to walk home at night at like 6 in the morning. Belkys with the management team is great and she exceeded our needs. I wish the club stayed open a little longer and played more American music. It is open from 12-2 am. The food was good but I was too busy drinking so I didn't get a chance to eat much. The best restaurant in my opinion is the Japanese one, they bring you lots of food. The weather kept very nice the entire time, it would rain occasionally.

Beach is awesome.

Pool entertainment is cool.

Shows are great.

STAY HERE, plenty of young people. The resort is huge so it is nicer to stay close to the beach. Buildings 1-6 in my opinion are the best.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank beroni7

Dear David,

Our team will be happy to learn that they provided you a memorable experience, especially Belkys, who exceeded your needs. In Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts we are passionate to serve and surpass our guests’ expectations.

Hoping to cater you once again!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Punta Cana.

Always at your disposal,

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The resort is huge. Went in March break 2013. We stayed in the middle on the resort so that walking to the beach or the lobby wasn't that long (a few minutes). We traveled with 2 kids (4 and 6) and they also did not have a problem walking with us. We often hopped on the buggy that bring you up/down. Takes you right in front of the beach area. Had to wait a few times for the buggy to come but not a big deal. Sometimes they only have 1 running.

Resort has many different buffet areas. We always ate in the main area where reception is. Ate at a few of the al a carte restaurants and the outdoor BBQ one was the best. You get to sit outside near the beach and it's so beautiful. The food was also very good.

One of the nights they had a bunch of vendors come into the resort and try to sell you stuff. It's all the same stuff (bracelets, rings, etc)--as expected, they are very pushy but we just kept walking and said no thank you.

The room was decent, it was clean and the a/c worked. We asked for 2 beds and that is what we got. We ended up with a balcony facing some garden area. I didn't expect to get a view of the ocean because I realize these resorts don't really have that many of those (if any)--so I was ok with that.

The fact that they had different theme nights at the buffets was a really good idea because it created a diverse selection of food each day. On many nights though, they would still include the same type of food (beans, etc) but that was ok also. I never got bored of the food. The lunch bar next to the beach served up a much smaller variety and it was the same each day though. Hamburgers, fries, hotdogs, nachos and dip, fruit, pasta, pizza...it wasn't bad at all.

There were plenty of spots on the beach, the beach was huge--you can walk miles in any direction and many people did exactly that. Plenty of shade on the beach if you are looking for some (with kids) from the palm trees and the little huts. Closer to the water you can get 100% sun.

When we first arrived, it was a little cooler and breezy. This was our first time going in march so we weren't sure how the weather would be. We preferred this type of weather over the july/aug months though. Less precipitation in march. We only had 1 cloudy day the entire week.

The one strange thing that occurred during our stay was that one time by wife decided to go back to the room in the middle of the day (we were on the beach) and she saw 4 men from the resort in our room. She asked them what was going on and they replied that they are 'fixing a cracked picture on the wall'. I can assure you, there were no cracked pictures. Apparently they claimed that the maid mentioned that one of the pictures was cracked and that they are coming to investigate. Well, thankfully I locked everything in the safe and nothing was missing. I wish they would have left a message with us (either at the front lobby or by calling us ahead of time) to inform us that someone would be coming into the room. I can't imagine if we were in there sleeping and they just opened up the door! The day after, our power went out in the room and I called down the the front desk--they sent a repairman in to fix it...he fixed it in 10seconds and was waiting there for a tip. I already tipped the same guy a day earlier for unclogging our toilet. I guess once you call them once and they get an idea of who is in the room, they 'create' other issues so they can get a tip (that's just my conspiracy--lol).

Another incident that I thought would be worth mentioning--the man in the room next to us was arguing with his significant other really loud, he was throwing the mirror on the floor and glasses....we could hear him. So I call down to the front desk to get security (in case the woman was in need of some help) and instead the guys at the front desk who can't speak english very well--they patch me through to the actual room!!! LOL, I hear the phone ring and I hang up... Just shows that the front desk needs to sharpen up on their english. lol

Definitely recommend staying here--with or without family. --> just lock your valuables up!

Room Tip: Stay in the middle of the resort and then you can walk to the beach and the front lobby. You will b...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank generalinq

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. All feedback from our guests is valued, to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

We would like to cater you once again at Dominican Republic to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed July 11, 2013

this isn't my first time staying at bahia Principe Punta cana. I was their in 2007 2008 and most recently 2013. not much has changed and so with this being said I will continue my review.

first I must thank Luis ortiz and Edward from the golden royal Punta cana check in office. they made my stay much happier this time then the last two times. I always had a blast at bahia Principe so decided to go with my family of 6 in two rooms,side by side near the beach but not to noisy. so for this I recommend 5102-5103 right next to the train near esmeralda bahia Principe.

golden royal package features 24/7 room service, Jacuzzi in room, mini fridge stocked daily, welcome bath rope,slipper,umbrella,etc. (don't respond to the luxury privilege mail left under your door a day or two after you arrive, its only to up sale you a timeshare for $10,000 us dollars,and they will entice you with free spa treatment or helicopter tour,or whatever they think you will enjoy. (tip) I would get approached daily and I simply say no gracias amigo, we already did it and got our free spa package,but thanks again. and they knew not to ask us again,of course theirs more then 20 of these people on the resort so you will have to say it more then once.lol.

the maid at our rooms was fantastic. people I recommend not to be cheap. yea you pay for an all inclusive resort but I recommend tipping $1 each for drinks,servers at the buffet that bring coffee,drinks,water,etc. since we were a group of 6 I made sure to give $2-3 to the server each morning. also when I was a the egg omelette station and I wanted a 5 egg custom omelette I would tip as well. the maid,works hard and will gladly give you all necessary items,just tip,and smile and say thank you. I personally gave $7 us each day for both rooms. she was a doll.

I booked my roundtrip airport to hotel/hotel to airport(puj) via COCOTOURS! I got in contact with Steve from cocotoursmwhich responds super fast to emails,and paid via pay pal(credit card).,$125 for 4 adults and 2 kids in private bus ,full air conditioner ice cold,black tinted windows, airport meet up was excellent,and the whole experience was a blast! I highly recommend you book private via coco tours. the benefits are these! please consider them.
first you will get to your hotel first then the 50+ people who came on other planes and arrived at the same time you did into the airport. this will allow for you to check in faster,and overpass all the Disney world lines.this literally happened to us. we arrived,checked in in a private office reserved for GOLDEN ROYAL club members. once we left the office two huge charter busses arrived and flooded the lobby and GR office.it was insane!!!!!!! Eddie or eddy from coco tours my representative at bahia Principe Punta cana was laid back and very cool,,he didn't push any excursions on us. he did give us brochures to check it out. we didn't opt to leave the resort because of the two little ones.but I did give eddy a $10 tip for all his help,which he gladly appreciated. (((before buying excursions from any other supplier in the resort speak with eddy. he has plenty to offer and his prices were cheaper then most and all are legit tours!!!!!!!

the rooms are great,haven't changed in the three times I've stayed at bahia.

the food is delicious and their is something for everybody. literally. (please don't listen to people who travel once every 5 years and dare give a bad review on any property that has more positive reviews then negative) we personally had reserved 4 a la carte for the week stay we were here,but didn't need to go to all since the buffet was our favorite choice.
the ala carte we did attend was the garden grill,and we taste the 5 meat dish .delicious!

the pools are fantastic,some lose mini tiles at the bottom of the pool so be careful. I did see 2 injuries but because the kids were running on wet pool area.

the beach was gorgeous and cleaned daily.

*********I know the management at bahia will love my report,but I do this for the customers***now for the things I think should be added at the resort*********please do your best!!!!! what is paradise without a area near the beach or their beautiful gardens with a HAMMOCK section. I even went out and got myself a hammock at the bahia village shops for $55 and was told I couldn't hang it on the beach. this disappointed me and got back to the shop to exchange it for a bottle of old Parr scotch.

Room Tip: the water park for kids is a great addition to the property,which ultimately will strive for the res...
4  Thank cindy a
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Cindy,

We are proud to hear that you had a very good stay due to the good service from our staff members.

It is our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts to continue demonstrating you our commitment to excellence.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Always at your disposal,

Customer Service

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Grand Bahia Principe in the Dominican Republic did not live up to the expectatons built by the travel agency that recommended the Resort! First, you had to make reservations to any of the restaurants..not a problem if the restaurants were available. I was down for a 4 day trip and from the first day, all the restaurants were already booked for the entire week when I arrived. The hotel failed to inform me that I had to make reservations at all...I found this out on tripadvisor.
Also..you had to pay extra for the safe that was in your room....cheap! Also...no free internet; if you wanted access in your room, it cost extra. If you do go, call the resort direct, you'll get better prices than provided by a travel agent.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bill O
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Bill,

We feel so sorry to hear that our service has not reached your expectations. We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor which we will take in the highest consideration.

We hope to have another opportunity and honor us with your visit in order to change any negative perception about our services.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The property is exquisite and beautifully manicured. The resort is very spread out and a tram is provided, but the walkways are wide, with lovely landscaping and you'll find walking is idyllic. Mosquitoes are an issue, so bring repellent. The resort did fumigate the area, but the pesky pests invaded anyway. Many pools to choose from and warm ocean waters will entice the swimmer in you! Not many staff speak English or only a very limited version of English, so if Spanish isn't your language of choice, brush up on some basics to make your stay go more smoothly.Leidy and Luis in reception were top notch and MOST HELPFUL!!! They will rise in management quickly as they have all the qualities of leadership and resort-kindness.

2  Thank smigaudav
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

All feedback from our guests is valued, to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to post your experience.

It will be a pleasure for all of us to host you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana over Easter break, March 31 - April 7, 2013. Overall we had an enjoyable stay, however on our departure day things went south. My review is categorized by sections. I hope you enjoy it and I welcome any comments or questions you have!

Departure from home:
We flew American Airlines from Detroit to PUJ with one stop. It was a pleasant and uneventful flight. Upon arrival in PUJ we quickly retrieved our bags, and were through immigration and to resort within one hour. There are porters all over the airport & they will grab you bags off the carousel without asking you. My husband wasn’t please about this in the beginning, but we decided to let them do their “thing” & we’re glad we did. From the time they grabbed our bags to the time we were on the bus for our resort it only took 10 minutes. The porter cut in line for our security bag check cutting in front of the people not using porters.

Check In:
Our check in was seamless including a welcome drink waiting for us at the hotel. We were upgraded to building 14, room number 14305. The room was located on the third floor over looking the pool. We were greeted by flowers, towel art and two bottles of whiskey...a very nice touch. The location was ideal due it being in the middle of the resort, a short walk to the lobby, beach, beach pool and two of the specialty restaurants.

Hotel:
This resort is huge. It also has a lot activities catering to just about everyone, however if you don't want to do a lot of walking there is a "mini" bus that runs almost 24/7. The grounds are constantly being trimmed, plucked and mowed. All buildings were three story with access to the rooms by multiple flights of stairs. The lobby is gigantic with many areas sectioned off for various entertainment, the hotel desk is also located there.

Rooms:
Our room was large and tastefully decorated in a tropical theme. There was our requested king bed as well as a pull out couch, dresser, nightstands and a well-appointed bathroom. One interesting thing to note in the bathroom is there is no full enclosure in the shower, it is a half enclosure. When taking a shower the floor got soaked, which was challenging to get out of because there is a large step to get out of the shower. We liked the ample closet space and safe. In other reviews people said you had to pay to use the safe, we did not experience that. We used it everyday day and did not get charged at check out.

Service:
Service was a mixed bag. Some staff treated you like royalty while others seemed like your question/request was a nuisance, especially at the beach bar. Servers at the lobby bar where friendly and warm, so much so that we tipped them. Our maid service was good, but due to the number of rooms they cleaned, ours was uncleaned at 5:00 in the afternoon a few days, so we just hung the do not disturb sign out. Initially I was annoyed about that, but when I needed extra towels or had another request they were very prompt. The service in the restaurants was efficient but nothing to write home about. One thing I did before I left was make reservations for the restaurants, be sure you have your confirmed reservations request printed and in hand each time you have a restaurant reservation, if you don't they have a hard time finding your reservation.

Food:
We ate at the buffets, beach bar, steak and Japanese restaurants. The buffets were surprisingly very good with a tremendous selection. There was always made to order pasta, pizza, carved meat etc. Each night was a different theme but there was always something “yummy” to eat. The beach bar buffet was my least favorite place to eat, especially at breakfast. The steak restaurant was very good, but structured a little different. Once you have made your steak selection, you go to a buffet to get any appetizers or dessert. I have not experienced that before and didn’t like it. I think if you are in a specialty restaurant you should have a higher level of service. The Japanese restaurant was absolutely terrible. The teppanyaki steak was mystery meat at best, it was so tough and flavorless I couldn’t eat it. I left there and headed to the buffet next door and had a wonderful pasta dish.

Beach/Pool:
We spent most of our time at the beach. I was up at 7:00 and had secured two primo spots by 7:30 every morning. By 10:00 there were virtually no lounge chairs. What I was fuming about almost everyday was the rudeness of the people on the beach. There were several times when people would get a lounge chair and move it directly in front of me, blocking my view of the ocean, and getting so close to my chair I could touch it, UNBELIEVEABLE!!! If I am out early enough to get a great spot on the beach then I should have a great spot. One day I had finally had enough and moved around this couple, they just looked at me. For the rest of our stay, if someone moved in front of me I would move in front of them. It became this ridiculously funny game but it worked! My husband told some guy to “back off” and give him some space, this guy moved his chair so that it was touching my husbands. The resort was mainly Europeans with about ten percent being from the U.S. The ocean water was very warm and the staff were constantly cleaning the seaweed. The beach is absolutely stunning with crystal clear water, very picturesque. We went to the beach/pool one day and found it to be too full of noisy kids even in the adult section. My husband needed a higher SPF sunscreen so he purchased a bottle of 45 Banana Boat poolside at a whopping $27.00…what a rip off. Before you leave home go to your local drug store, the same sunscreen at home was $8.99. The pool near building 14 in the middle of the resort was awesome. It was very quiet and peaceful in the morning until the music started at 11:00, hope you like Pitbull and Rihana.

Departure from Punta Cana:
My husband went to the hotel rep that arranged transfers to the airport two days before we departed to secure an earlier transfer. The rep assured him we had ample time to get to the airport and check bags and there was no need to go earlier. Our check out was seamless and the transfer bus picked us up according to schedule. Upon arriving at the PUJ airport we discovered a very, very long line (over 200 people) to print our boarding passes at a kiosk. There were four kiosks and ran incredibly slow. When we were almost up the kiosk the power went out and stayed out for approx. 20 minutes. Finally, 40 minutes later we had our boarding passes and were escorted to an even longer line to check bags. Once again the power went out, this time for 40 minutes. After an hour we had checked our bags and saw the 300 + people trying to get through security, but the power went out AGAIN! I could go on and on, but needless to say we were sprinting to get to our plane. When we arrived in Philly for our connection we sat on the tarmac because there were over 1,000 people waiting to go through U.S. customs. We sprinted again to get to our next flight, thankfully they waited for us and a handful of other people. We had not eaten since we left the resort at 10:00 a.m. so we were starving on top of all the other aggravation. I think had we left earlier as my husband had requested a lot of this aggravation could have been avoided. My husband and I have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean and never experienced this type of irritation, for that reason I won’t be back to Punta Cana for a very long time. For the same money, I would go back to the Riu in Cabo San Lucas where they happily accommodated our request for an early transfer.

All in all I enjoyed the amazing weather, 90+ and sunny everyday and the relaxation I felt laying on the beach all day. As I mentioned, due to the horrific circumstances we encountered at the hotel and airport we will be heading back to Cabo for our next vacation!

Room Tip: Request building 14, it is in the middle of the resort
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cruzchik
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your last stay with us.
We sincerely regret any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Best regards,