“Met my expectations”

Ranked #66 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Met my expectations”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

My experience was very good as I was on honeymoon and it was my first time traveling to the Caribbean. I was pretty nervous but the Dominican people are very grateful and happy people. The resort was clean and pleasant. The food was good as well.

Some I the A la carte restaurants were not so good. For some that I booked, I still went back to the all inclusive buffet to eat n drink.

The staff were friendly, I exceptionally love the lady (Valentina) at the reception of golden royal reception. She went above and beyond call of duty to help ensure my wife and I had an unforgettable honeymoon. Plus she allowed us late checkout as she considered that we arrived the resort about 10pm.

The excursion were great but can be pretty pricy. We about 5 excursion and it added up very quickly. I must admit it was fun. I recommend the bavaro runners.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank kingrhodey
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Valentina will be happy to learn your exceptional comment and to hear that her work on providing you an unforgettable honeymoon is appreciated. It is wonderful to read that we were able to meet your expectations.

We would like to welcome you once again and be able to enjoy our facilities and the warmth of our Dominican people.

Your honeymoon in Punta Cana with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Kindest regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,481)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the Gran Bahia principe Punta Cana in 2008 and loved it so much that we went back a year later and got married there! The staff are amazing, From the front desk and throughout the resort, Nothing was to much trouble, We're going back in January to take our little boy so we can show him paradise! Cannot wait! See you soon DR!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ryan F
Dear Ryan,

It is a great pride to know that Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts has been part of your life. Our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience.

Feel free to contact us directly once you have your next booking confirmation and be able to arrange all details prior arrival.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Looking forward to seeing you soon in paradise!

Always at your disposal,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have just returned from this resort, and I was very disappointed. This is our third trip to Dominican Republic, but first time to this resort, and my other two resorts were much better, for the same amount of money. We have travelled with two other families, all with the small kids, and despite all the requests for our rooms to be in the same building ( requested through travel agent, called the hotel directly a month prior to leaving, and tried again at the reservation desk), they did not honor it. So, two families were at one building, and the third family at the other. The pool and the beach were nice. There were multiple times they ran out of dry towels or towel cards. Main buffet restaurant was ok, but the service is not that great. There were multiple times where we would order a drink, but the waiter would forget about your order. It was impossible to make a reservation to any la carte restaurants for a bigger group of people. DO NOT waste your la carte dinner at "Buffet Grill". They consider it la carte restaurant, but it is exactly the same thing as main buffet, just in a smaller version. Unfortunately, we did not know that and were very disappointed since you get only three la carte dinners, and we wasted one of them on this buffet restaurant. The entertainment was good. We travel very often, but I would definitely not go back to this resort. They did have a nice water park for the kids, and they loved it. It was very small, but nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 2013_Leyla_2013
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Leyla,

We would like to let you know that we take our guests´ observations into great consideration with the aim to reinforce the quality of our services. We regret very much that we were not able to fulfill your expectations this time.

Thank you for your comment and we are looking to forward to welcoming you once again to have the opportunity to change any negative perception you may have about us.

South Plainfield, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Staff was very friendly. The resort was very clean and well kept. The pools and surrounding areas were very kept. The beach was nice and kept very clean. It would have been nice if the liquor assortment was a little larger, not a big problem though. All in all I have no complaints. It would have been nice if wi fi was free in the rooms. As far as the food there was something for everybody.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ray H
Dear Ray,

We are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program in Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. Thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which have been treated with great interest.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Jasper, Indiana
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Food was excellent. Unless you stay at one of the upper tear section, liquor is very limited. Punta Cana room was so so, but very clean and comfortable. We spent little time there anyway. Beach is fantastic and has a limited bar and free hot dogs. Staff was very friendly everywhere. Shows were better than expected. The entire resort was well maintained. Pools were also beautiful with limited bars. We feel we got our money's worth and would consider going again.

Room Tip: upgrade only if you want a better room and better liquor, else just book the Punta Cana section. Fo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pnicastro1
Dear Guest,

For all of us it is great to know that you had a great vacation in our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. It is an honor to hear that our services provided were more than expected and it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back to our Resort.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend booked an all inclusive through Transat Vacations to stay at this hotel. This was our first and last all inclusive.

The resort staff were rude, the room was OK, but not impressive. The pools were overpacked an dirty.

The food and drinks were absolutely disgusting. My boyfriend ordered chicken for dinner from one of the specialty restaurants....it had nacho cheese like you get from empire theatres on it. I expect a lot better from a 4 or 5 star resort.

I would never recommend this resort to anyone. I rarely write reviews, but after seeing the rating on this hotel and having the experience we did, I felt the need to review the hotel.

Book somewhere else please.

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank Jlduff83
Dear Guest,

It is with great regret to learn that we could not reach your expectations during your vacation, and we are deeply sorry for any inconvenience that you may have passed.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your impressions with us regarding your recent stay in our property.

We hope you could consider giving us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I say tropical city because bahia principe is five resorts in one. I gave it a four in service only because if you expect really personable service at all times forget about it because being that its five resorts in one and I saw there was such an influx of people that no matter what it gets busy for the staff to handle so much but if you ask for it you will get it. Just be patient with the staff because the place is enormous. When you do get the service its excellent. I can't explain it well but its like a party atmosphere and a relaxing one all balled up into one. Loved the place off the bat. Got to the front desk at 1pm and our room wasn't ready so they saved our bags and me and my girlfriend changed to our bathing suits in the bathroom and went to the huge pool by the beach. I loved this pool. So much space even if it does get crowded...there's still space. Its pretty deep all around. Maybe like 5 feet but by the beautiful pool bar its not deep. There are people in this resort from all parts of the world. Met a ton of interesting people. The pool bar serves you in water and out. Then to top it off there is a bar outside the pool along with bathrooms eating place...and places to book your excursions. Bathrooms always clean with music playing in them also. There is also a small kiosk to buy items and one to buy photos you have taken with either a monkey or parrots. The pool bar is always playing beautiful spanish music. The bartenders are extremely friendly and are always looking out for you. Pool is clean and the resort is breathtaking and very well kept. Everywhere me and my girl walked we wanted to take a picture. By all of their 3 pools they have an abundant amout of pool chairs. In the beach also and the water is great and its a beautiful green in color. Waters are slightly calmer than they are in the winter time. I would love to bring my son and daughter here next time. Seems to be a great place for kids also. They have a beautiful kids water park on site. And on a certain day they blow up big balloon slides by all of their pools. The other two pools were right by our villa which has 3 floors and four apts on each floor and some of the rooms connect. Good for big families. We had a third floor room. Balcony view was great. Remember that the room ac works only when the balcony door is shut. The room is well kept, plenty of space and it has a hair blower, umbrella, iron, fridge, plenty of closet space and night table space and sort of a mini living room with a table and chairs and a sofa. Beds are comfy. Lighting is a little dim but who cares about that. Ac works great and they have a ceiling fan. Flatscreen TV. Jacuzzi is roomy. Movable shower head. Always had hot water. Had to pay for the safe but its only 4 dollars american a night and the safe works with a key card. As well does the electricity in the room. With a key card. What me and my girlfriend would do would be to leave the key card connected to keep the ac on while we went to venture out on the resort because hey it is june and it is hot. Dress lightly for this month. If something is wrong in the room that can't be fixed they will happily move you to another room or they will fix the problem right away. Pool opens at 8am and closes at 6pm. The place is so big they have little train golf type cars that follow certain routes and make stops and take requests for stop also. These are working 24 hours a day. Its beatiful to walk the grounds but if you are in a hurry then they got these trains. Don't get frustrated. There are maps that tell you the train routes and where they go. If you have any trouble just ask or ask the front desk. They do provide you with a paper map. I believe that half the fun of the resort is venturing out on your own and discovering things on your own. They have a huge shopping area that is square and in the center they have a stage with a huge amount of chairs and tables and also kiosks from artisans that come into the resort to sell their items. These guys are hilarious. Don't pay attention to them. Just smile ignore their hustling and look at what you like not what they like and if u want it buy it. Just ignore the hustle because they are extreme with that. Bring plenty of money in small denominations and the resort takes all types of credit cards. The only weird thing is that the atm only spits out dominican money. Remeber that every 1000 pesos is 25 dollars U.S. They have a nice amount of restaurants of which we only did one. The steak house. And it was awesome. Remember to reserve your space one day in advance. Drinks are decent. The better drinks are in the sports bar and the lobby bar. They give you olives and nuts and in the lobby they have self serve coffee juices, ice water and desserts and a performance by a little group every nite and they play all types of music. Me and my girlfriend danced up a storm. It is hot at night and the mosquitos are out but that is inevitable. You are in a tropical country. Just put on your repelent and dance the night away. One thing I wish they could improve on is the shaved ice machines that they have for their drinks at all the pool bars. The drinks turn watery right away but otherwise they are decent. At night in the lobby bar ask for the drink esmeralda it was delicious. They have a huge beautiful eating hall that seats an enourmous amount of people. They have a huge buffet. Chefs cooking stuff in front of u. All kinds of food and desserts. We never got sick by the way. And always use the bottled water they leave in the room to brush your teeth. Just in case. In the entrance of that eating hall you have a table with premium dominican and spanish liquors. Spanish meaning from spain. You can sample all of these. By the way bring plenty of sun block because if you have to buy it at the resort its $24 american dollars for a bottle that in new york costs 7 or 8. The entertainment crew does a wonderful show that also gets the people involed. The humor is very adult if you know what i mean so be aware with your kids. Very fun though. Depending on the package you took you will be told about how much of the entire resorts amenities you can access. By the way we did the 10 minute helicopter trip by punta cana and it was well worth the money...the pictures we took from that helicopter are ridiculously beautiful. We also did one of the boogie rides...also worth it. If you see kenia at the front desk say hi. She is very helpful and also very beautiful. All staff is awesome and helpful. I guess by now you can tell how much i enjoyed my stay here and i hope what i have said will be helpful in planning your trip here. Trust me you wont regret it. Even though ive said a lot i know there is more that you can discover about this place that i havent and me and my girlfriend definitely wouldnt mind going here again...in fact we are planning on it already lol.

• Stayed June 2013
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Client,

All Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana team is happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, especially thanks to the multiculturalism of our clients and awesome service.

We would love to host you and your family in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Punta Cana.

Thank you for sharing your marvelous photos with others on TripAdvisor.