“Nightmare honeymoon”

Ranked #61 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Nightmare honeymoon”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I don't a ever write reviews but I just had to with this resort. It's was our honeymoon and we were so excited to go to a tropical paradise, lay on a beautiful beach and have some amazing seafood. Let's just say we at least got the beautiful beach part. The grounds were pretty but rooms were FAR from romantic. Now let me tell you about the food. It was utterly disgusting! Now I am not the best critic bc I am quite picky but my husband is not at all and he was grossed out the entire trip! And there was not ONE place for fresh seafood! We could not believe it! We were sick the last half of our trip.nwe don't know If it was the water or just the awful food. Not the way we dreamed of spending our honeymoon. And the "all inclusive" drinks were sickening. Sweet, artificial and gross. Now we are trying to decide where we are going this year to make up for the honeymoon we never had. It was just about the worst trip we could have imagined. We couldn't wait to get home! Don't do it. You've been warned.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bethany D
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

We are sorry for not being able to fulfill your expectations. We regret your observations about our food concepts, but please allow us to inform you that our menus are done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations.

Your observations are taking into great consideration and have been share with the General Manager of our Resort for their analysis.

We should take in consideration that certain risks are involved when traveling to the tropics.There are various factors that may contribute to illness, such as climate, temperature variation, combination of food and beverages, excessive sun exposure, personal reactions, among others.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Kind regards,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,445)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana from Jan 5-Jan 12, 2013. Our overall impression is that it is a very nice resort with beautiful, clean grounds and good service. Here are some key points.

1: The rooms are a bit outdated, yes, but I highly doubt you're on vacation to admire your room.
2: The beach is really nice and never had a problem finding a chair (we were a group of 4).
3: There are plenty of pools all over the resort.
4: The buffet food is alright, (sometimes redundant) but the à la carte restaurants are delicious. I would suggest the Japanese, Mediterrenean, and French.
5: There are plenty of vendors trying to sell their excursions on a daily basis. Politely refuse if you are not interested, they're not aggressive, they will leave you alone.
6: Definitely watch the Michael Jackson show, the entertainment did an incredible job and the impersonator really deserves a standing ovation.

If you're trying to figure out which hotel to go with, I'd say that if you wanna be near the beach and have better quality buffet food, go with the Ambar or Esmeralda from what we were told from other guests, otherwise, they're all the same. The 'bus' passes every 2 min, drops you right in front of the beach or anywhere else you'd like to go. It's such a short ride!

The only downside I can think of is entertainment at night. There really isn't much to do when there are no shows. If you want to stay at the resort and not go to their discotheque, there are no ping pong tables, no billard, no mini putt opened late, nothing to do but hang around in the lobby. That needs improvement. Furthermore, please do not make your staff go around asking its guests to rate the hotel on tripadvisor while they're on vacation and ask what they are writing as feedback. It's not professional.

Lastly, don't forget to tip! Everyone works so hard!

If anyone needs any more information, do not hesitate to contact me!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank giggly_puuffs
Dear Guest,

We are glad to find out that there were some aspects from our services you find worth to mention, especially clean grounds, good service, nice beach, and our Michael Jackson´s show.

We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration. Please be assured that your observations are taking into great consideration and have been share with the General Manager of our Resort.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at any of our Hotels, especially either of our Luxury Don Pablo Collection, which are a superior category and offer you an even more exclusive service.

Laval, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Cons : rooms are a bit outdated they would need to be renovated.
the buffet is not great almost the same food all the time
The disco attached to the hotel is not worth it, music is not good.
Hotel is rated as a 5 star but i would not give more then 3 and a hal to 4 stars.
If you try to go to a la carte restarant with a big group they will put you in seperate tables, not to hapy about that. Very big hotel and the beach is very far from the rooms.

Pros: good entairtainement on the beach and the pools, lots of pools and enough chairs on the beach even if the hotel was full.
A la carte restaurants where really good, the mexican, the italian and the steak house.

Room Tip: If you are buying something from the streets or on the beach you can always deal 3 times the asking...
1 Thank edgar s
Dear Guest,

Regarding your comments about our buffets, please allow us to inform you that our menus are done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Every night, at our buffets, we have a different gastronomic offer. We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained, concerning the quality and variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner services, has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our quality questionnaires. We regret to hear that your perception in this matter was not positive.

It is important to remark that, due to operational reasons, we accept a maximum of 8 people in the same table. In case that they are more people, we will do the best to put them in near tables.

We are glad to find out that there were some aspects from our services you find worth to mention, especially the good entertainment on the beach and the pools, lots of pools and enough chairs on the beach, and good a la carte restaurants.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again and continue providing the greatest experiences.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My mom and I had a wonderful time at this resort! It was too relaxing being waited on hand and foot. Diocelina Belkis is the waitress who usually greeted us in the lobby area after dinner, best service and most friendly of all. In fact all the staff at this resort are very friendly and helpful. The room was large and spacious but did not really feel the air conditioning since it's only activated when your key card is in the slot, and mostly we did not come back until after 9pm at night, so it took awhile for the room to cool down, at least we enjoyed the great weather.

Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination.

Thank you for acknowledging Diocelina, who will be very happy to learn that he was able to contribute in creating a great experience for you. We are proud to know that our guest had provided our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations, and it is wonderful to know that you are considering visiting us once again in this tropical paradise called Dominican Republic.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

montreal
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We just got back from 1 week at the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. We loved it! The hotel is part of a resort with 4 hotels, so if you like walking after over eating, this is the place to be. There are numerous pools and pool bars as well as the beach, which is long and with beautiful sand and palm trees. If you want chairs at either a pool or the beach, I recommend getting there at 7:15-7:45 max, or you won't find a spot, especially if you are more than 2! Just leave the towels and magazines and come back later.
The food was good, not awesome but good to very good. Lots of choices. If you like steak reserve at the Garden Grill. The only negatives were; the time share prestige club who were really a pain in the a.., they do a lot of high pressure BS marketing, but if you don't mind them you can get some free gifts like massages or helicopter rides so that was ok. The other negative for us, was the wind. Punta cana is windy. The beach at times was too windy so we spent our time at the pool and then walked at the beach. The shows were really good. They have some dancers and the Michael Jackson impersonator that are awesome!
At the pool near our room at the building 14, there was a bartender named Kelvin and the waitress Margarita. He is such a showman and talented guy. Singing, dancing with Margarita, juggling bottles while mixing drinks and really loving his job. Margarita was so friendly and fun to talk too.
Bring your iphone or ipad, they have free wifi at the lobby area.

Overall, we really liked this place and will go back again.

Room Tip: In my opinion 14 building was in between the beach and buffet at lobby. We liked it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Montreal41
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Client,

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises especially because of the friendliness of our staff members. Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our staff, especially to Kelvin and Margarita.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon and have the opportunity to continue providing the greatest experiences.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This has been my second time at this hotel and I've had a great experience each time. The food was always fresh and excellent tasting. The room was impeccably clean and very spacious. The entire resort was spotless inlcuding the garden area. The beach had more than enough space for everyone and plenty of chairs. The water was crystal clear and the sand was very soft at the touch. My special thanks to Kenia from reception and Marta from the lobby. Both of them made my stay extra special by being very attentive to all of my requests. They are very friendly and I defintely recommend this amazing beach-front resort to anyone looking for a great vacation.

Maria Coelho
(From Toronto)

Room Tip: I would recommend the Diamond Club guest rooms because they were halfway to the beach and halfway to...
3 Thank Maria C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for highlighting the good aspects, such as fresh food, immaculate rooms, spotless resort, and nice beach. Please be assured that your wonderful comments will be forward to Kenia and Martha. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again and continue providing the greatest vacations.

Kind regards,

Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The resort itself gives a nice impression. It's well maintained without a doubt. This was my first time visiting the Dominican Republic and I was a bit concerned hearing about horror stories of people getting sick. I decided to experience this place regardless of what I read and hear about. Let me begin with the room itself. It was a nice size room that gave a clean appearance. The major problem was the mosquitoes were flying around all over the bathroom. When the rooms are cleaned, the door is left open. Also, very few employees there speak English. So communication may be a problem. Another issue is that the resort is much too big to manage. We tried to get extra towels but never could. It took three days to get an extra pillow. I think that they really try to accommodate but it's just not possible in such a large place. This place lacks entertainment as well. There's just not much to do at night except drink! Now I want to discuss the food. Wow what a disappointment! The buffet was the worse. Bad fruit on a Caribbean island? It makes no sense but these are the facts folks! We also tried a few specialty restaurants. There was only one that was really special and that was the fish place. It was really good! My last three days of this trip my worries came true and yes I was ill. Yes it happened to me but my companion lucked out. He had no stomach issues like me. Although I doubt I was the only one in that resort not feeling well. I have traveled to other places in the Caribbean and have gone to other all-inclusives but never had these issues before. Other than the beautiful beach and the magnificent swimming pools, this place is at the bottom of my list. I won't return!

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk a few flights of steps everyday insist on a ground floor. There are no...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank alg_1972
Dear Guest,

It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

In relation to your opinion about the mosquitoes in your room, let us state you that they are subject to strict supervision. In fact, the health and welfare of our guests are our priority and we follow a strict program of cleaning and constant monitoring of all quality standards in our hotel. We follow insects control programs and strict programs of fumigation, which are carried out continuously. However, due to our tropical climate and the landscaping that surrounds the Hotel, characterized by wide open spaces, and taking into consideration that we are located in a protected mangrove area, the presence of certain species coming from the exterior may not be avoidable at all times.

We apologize for the impression you could perceive for the language barrier with some of our staff members. We assured you that we continuously work with our Human Resources and Quality departments to reinforce the training of our personnel. We strongly believe that our guest’s satisfaction depends of their daily performance.

Regarding your comments about the quality of our food, we would like to point out that our menus are composed by carefully selected products, and done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations.

We are very pleased you enjoyed with our fish place.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort and we will give the proper attention.

We hope to welcome you once again at one of our Hotels to demonstrate you the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years, and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have about us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#80 of 111 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!