“Great vacation!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #60 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
montreal
“Great vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We just got back from 1 week at the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. We loved it! The hotel is part of a resort with 4 hotels, so if you like walking after over eating, this is the place to be. There are numerous pools and pool bars as well as the beach, which is long and with beautiful sand and palm trees. If you want chairs at either a pool or the beach, I recommend getting there at 7:15-7:45 max, or you won't find a spot, especially if you are more than 2! Just leave the towels and magazines and come back later.
The food was good, not awesome but good to very good. Lots of choices. If you like steak reserve at the Garden Grill. The only negatives were; the time share prestige club who were really a pain in the a.., they do a lot of high pressure BS marketing, but if you don't mind them you can get some free gifts like massages or helicopter rides so that was ok. The other negative for us, was the wind. Punta cana is windy. The beach at times was too windy so we spent our time at the pool and then walked at the beach. The shows were really good. They have some dancers and the Michael Jackson impersonator that are awesome!
At the pool near our room at the building 14, there was a bartender named Kelvin and the waitress Margarita. He is such a showman and talented guy. Singing, dancing with Margarita, juggling bottles while mixing drinks and really loving his job. Margarita was so friendly and fun to talk too.
Bring your iphone or ipad, they have free wifi at the lobby area.

Overall, we really liked this place and will go back again.

Room Tip: In my opinion 14 building was in between the beach and buffet at lobby. We liked it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Montreal41
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Client,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises especially because of the friendliness of our staff members. Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our staff, especially to Kelvin and Margarita.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon and have the opportunity to continue providing the greatest experiences.

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,417)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

This has been my second time at this hotel and I've had a great experience each time. The food was always fresh and excellent tasting. The room was impeccably clean and very spacious. The entire resort was spotless inlcuding the garden area. The beach had more than enough space for everyone and plenty of chairs. The water was crystal clear and the sand was very soft at the touch. My special thanks to Kenia from reception and Marta from the lobby. Both of them made my stay extra special by being very attentive to all of my requests. They are very friendly and I defintely recommend this amazing beach-front resort to anyone looking for a great vacation.

Maria Coelho
(From Toronto)

Room Tip: I would recommend the Diamond Club guest rooms because they were halfway to the beach and halfway to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Maria C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for highlighting the good aspects, such as fresh food, immaculate rooms, spotless resort, and nice beach. Please be assured that your wonderful comments will be forward to Kenia and Martha. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again and continue providing the greatest vacations.

Kind regards,

Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

The resort itself gives a nice impression. It's well maintained without a doubt. This was my first time visiting the Dominican Republic and I was a bit concerned hearing about horror stories of people getting sick. I decided to experience this place regardless of what I read and hear about. Let me begin with the room itself. It was a nice size room that gave a clean appearance. The major problem was the mosquitoes were flying around all over the bathroom. When the rooms are cleaned, the door is left open. Also, very few employees there speak English. So communication may be a problem. Another issue is that the resort is much too big to manage. We tried to get extra towels but never could. It took three days to get an extra pillow. I think that they really try to accommodate but it's just not possible in such a large place. This place lacks entertainment as well. There's just not much to do at night except drink! Now I want to discuss the food. Wow what a disappointment! The buffet was the worse. Bad fruit on a Caribbean island? It makes no sense but these are the facts folks! We also tried a few specialty restaurants. There was only one that was really special and that was the fish place. It was really good! My last three days of this trip my worries came true and yes I was ill. Yes it happened to me but my companion lucked out. He had no stomach issues like me. Although I doubt I was the only one in that resort not feeling well. I have traveled to other places in the Caribbean and have gone to other all-inclusives but never had these issues before. Other than the beautiful beach and the magnificent swimming pools, this place is at the bottom of my list. I won't return!

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk a few flights of steps everyday insist on a ground floor. There are no...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank alg_1972
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

In relation to your opinion about the mosquitoes in your room, let us state you that they are subject to strict supervision. In fact, the health and welfare of our guests are our priority and we follow a strict program of cleaning and constant monitoring of all quality standards in our hotel. We follow insects control programs and strict programs of fumigation, which are carried out continuously. However, due to our tropical climate and the landscaping that surrounds the Hotel, characterized by wide open spaces, and taking into consideration that we are located in a protected mangrove area, the presence of certain species coming from the exterior may not be avoidable at all times.

We apologize for the impression you could perceive for the language barrier with some of our staff members. We assured you that we continuously work with our Human Resources and Quality departments to reinforce the training of our personnel. We strongly believe that our guest’s satisfaction depends of their daily performance.

Regarding your comments about the quality of our food, we would like to point out that our menus are composed by carefully selected products, and done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations.

We are very pleased you enjoyed with our fish place.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort and we will give the proper attention.

We hope to welcome you once again at one of our Hotels to demonstrate you the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years, and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have about us.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

This was a great resort to stay at. We were a group of six. The rooms were nice and comfortable. No problems. The food was great. Restaurants and the resort buffet. A little difficult to get reservations. Pool was nice. Beach was nice. A bit crowded but that's to be expected sometimes.
No complaints that I can think of.

Had to pick February 2012 as I can't seem to pick an older date. We actual traveled here in Dec 2011 and will be going back in Dec 2013 since our Nov 2012 stay at the Jamaica Gran Bahia was pretty negative so we won't be going back there.

Room Tip: Bring lots of US 1 dollar bills for tips. I am sure you get service from staff when you are giving t...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RBenoit
Dear Client,

We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

My room was great and especially the service was the best the smallest things were clean the restaurant was good the staff was so polite and respectfull especially cocolon & Gustavo Frias great guys also the hotel was very big and nice we took good advantage of the allinclusive the beach was the best and the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel.

It is an honor to know that Cocolon and Gustavo had provided our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.

We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Chezzer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We went here for 2 weeks on the 3rd December. We had a great time and upgraded our room to a club room for an extra £28.00!!! The room itself was fab, I couldn't fault it at all, the room was near the main pool and near the BBQ and Mexican restaurant. it had a jacuzzi bath and was very big, the maids always kept the room clean.
The hotel itself is immaculately clean. Everyday people were out scrubbing the paths and doing the gardens. The grounds are stunning. And although the hotel is huge we only got lost once. There are also little buggies/trains that take you to the restaurants/ reception if you don't want to walk.

The beach is great, not too overcrowded, but I will admit I have been on better beaches in the Caribbean. The pools are very clean but we couldn't always get a good spot with a brolly even when we put our towels down at 8:00am!.

Bad Points

I don't really like whining but in this case I have too. By upgrading we were entitled to 4 a la carte restaurants a week. On our 2nd day we booked 3 and everything was fine. The 2nd week we went to see a chap to book in, he wasn't particularly interested and after 20 mins he said we had a reservation and our paperwork would be sent to our room. 2 days later we had nothing so we went to see the reservations team as we were due to eat at the Mexican that night. We were then told that no reservations had been made. So Andelina ( I think her name was) booked 2 of the restaurants for a few days later. We explained we eat after 8pm, and we were booked at 9 on both days. Well, we missed the Mexican restaurant as she had booked it for 7pm. Luckily we noticed the 2nd reservation was booked at 7:15 so we decided to just live with it. As we had already had enough errors we didn't want to go through it all over again.
Another annoying thing s always taking your picture. We would go to the lobby bar and there would be a scantily clad man and woman demanding you had your photo taken ( believe me I didn't always mind the men were beautiful), but when it's every day and they want 10 dollars per picture it does get a bit much.

Overall
I would go back to this hotel, I did enjoy myself, but I wouldn't bother with the a la carte. One
error you can dismiss but two is just plain terrible. The managers seriously need to train their
reservations staff better. The rest of the staff were great, always cheery and smiley, saying
morning or evening.
The spa is great we had a lovely massage there. It's a shame the weather was a bit dull and rainy for a few days, still we had a great time, and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Do upgrade to a golden club room, for a few measly pounds the rooms are much bigger, and in better p...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kandi-dancer
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review and for highlighting the good stuff, such as fabulous room, maid´s work, immaculate and stunning grounds, great beach, and spa service.

Your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort and we will give the matters the proper attention.

It’s very satisfying to know that we were able to meet your expectations and will be a pleasure to welcoming you once again.

Kind regards,

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Staff was extremely helpful and very curteous. Particularly William and Ranqui from the front desk - their assistance was greatly appreciated. We joined a great group of people for a wedding and would highly recommend the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana to friends and family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NBS7174
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay in our Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana Hotel. We are proud to hear that you had an excellent stay due to the friendliness of our staff members, especially because of William and Ranqui. Please be assured that your wonderful comments will be forwarded to them.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
#57 of 110 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 10,083 reviews
Iberostar Dominicana Hotel
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!