I will start by saying that we upgraded to the Royal Golden Section through Air Transat. We found it was worth the upgrade due to the location of the rooms ( the nearest to the beach and the pool). But what really made it worth while was the staff in the Royal Golden reception area, who were all wonderful. We would like to give special thanks to IVAN who was so helpful with a small issue we had, and went out of his way to make sure our stay was pleasant. He assured us that if we had any concerns during our stay he would do all he could to be of assistance. This was reassuring to us, THANK YOU IVAN.
CHECK IN- This was done on the bus on the way to the resort. Braceletes, A-la-carte reservations, room assignment, all done. Upon arrival at the resort our luggage was immediately loaded on to a buggy by the porters and off to our room we went. The fasted check in we have ever experienced. You should note that if you want a safe key you need to go to the reception desk to get one.
ROOM- We were assigned room 20106 ( 20 means bungalo # 20, 1 means first floor, and 06 is the room number) Approx. one week before we left I e-mailed the resort and asked for a room with at least a partial ocean view and near the pool, and that was exactly what we got. keep in mind there are very few ocean view rooms at this resort. The room was modern, clean, the shower had wonderful water pressure and never ran out of hot water. There was a mini fridge that was restocked every day with water, pop, and beer. Also a bottle of rum was restocked every day if it was empty.
BEACH/POOLS- The beach was beautifull. The sand soft, the water warm and blue. No shortage of beach loungers. If you wanted one under much needed shade, you need to place a towel on them early. The vendors on the beach are not aggresive at all, simply say no thank you. The pool was kept very clean ( contrary to some previous reviews ). We found that in order to get loungers in the shade we had to play the towel game an claim them before 9 a.m.. We were always able to get a chair at the swim up bar.
BUFFET/ A LA CARTES- The buffet at this resort was one of the best we have experienced. The food tasty and a great selection. The breakfast trays were never empty, always bacon, sausages, eggs, omelette station. A good selection for lunch and dinner, Some buffets are a bit boring after a week, but we did not find this here. We only tried one a la carte ( GARDEN GRILL) or better known as the steakhouse. The ribeye steaks were mouthwatering and tender.
EXCURSIONS- We did not do any excursions, however tried para sailing right in front of the resort. I chickened out, but my wife said it was a great experience. You go sailing for about 20- 25 minute for $60 for one person or $100 for two people.
CHECK OUT- Qiuck, and no surprises.
NEGATIVES- We found there to be really no negative aspects to this resort. However here are some concerns that you may have.
- the resort is very large, but shuttle trains run from the front of the resort the length of the resort to the beach areas. These trains are plentiful and you will never wait more that a few minutes.
- The resort has a typical Bahia shopping area, with endless souvenirs at a better price than the airport. Be prepared to barter the price down to close to half. This area has shops but also the vendors are set up in the main square. We found the vendors and some of the shop sellers to be very aggresive. We didn't care for the aggresiveness and bought our treasures at the shops that just let you browse without bothering you.
- If you enjoy snorkelling right off the resort, as we do, you will be dissapointed. There is no snorkelling very near the beach, unless you want to go a fair bit out to the reefs. Also the water was rough and wavey during our stay.
SHOULD YOU CONSIDER THIS RESORT- Yes, I attempted to offer you an honest review. Having said that, everyone has different tastes and expectations, thus the negative reviews. Go, enjoy the sun, the rum, the food, and the people. All the staff there that we dealt with were very friendly and helpful.
We would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Thank you Bahia for another wonderful vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Jacuzzi Sun terraces Lounger, sun umbrella and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, multi-sports court Water activity centre Motorised sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Meeting and convention room 1 buffet restaurant and 5 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 16 bars Wedding gazebo Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Punta Blanca Golf Club (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, disco and casino Rooms 756 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with Jacuzzi, hair dryer and a full range of amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda). Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Baby Station Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teen's club Other Services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) WiFi in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, BP USA TRAVEL INC, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Gran Bahia Principe