“A Good Vacation with some bugs!”

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #66 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
saint john
“A Good Vacation with some bugs!”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I think our first mistake was to take a trip that landed us at night in a foreign country. This was our first trip away, to another country as a couple, we have been together for 14 years. We landed into the punta cana airport at 1230 am and were quickly pushed through customs. We then boarded our bus to transfer us to the hotel, this process was a bit confusing as they intially told us to get on one bus that was the wrong one. Finally we were on our way to the resort and while travelling there the manager got up and started calling names out. He was passing out our hotel information as we would be checking in via the trip there. We had everything we needed keys etc except a safe which we could arrange we were told the next morning. I have to be honest and tell you I found the wrong checking in on a bus a little confusing. We finally arrived at the resort and were quickly driven to our rooms via the conceirge. This resort is massive and in the dark you would have no idea where you were going. We got to our room and I had decided to take a shower as I felt dirty after travelling all day/night. The first thing I was greeted by was bugs in the bathroom wall. My husband quickly took care of them only to see two more over by the toilet. While I had my bath, he decided to grap something to drink out of the fridge and again was greeted by a centipede in the fridge. We were a little taken aback as we thought by asking for a room higher up that we would not have as many bug issues. When I was done having my shower I walked over to the balcony area where there is a couch in the living area and out of the corner of my eye i seen a bug crawl into the couch. I asked my husband to take the cushion off the couch to see what was underneath and was shocked to see approximately 10-15 different kinds of bugs underneath. We quickly did a go through of the room and found more bugs on the bedspread of the bed. At this point there was no way I was sleeping in this room and we decided to wander down to the lobby at 2 am to find someone to switch our rooms. We were originally in Room 4202. The front desk person tried very hard to understand what we were saying, and eventually understood and we were shown to another room, this time in the 6's. They brought us back to the original room to get our things but before we could leave we noticed bugs that looked like Cochroaches in my toiletry bag. We quickly dumped our suitcases out and shook everything before we left for the new room. The new room was not ready for visitors, it had no towels etc but I did not have one bug the entire time we were there. We finally got into bed approximately 4 am ish. When we woke up we were greeted by the beautiful sun. We quickly got dressed and went to the beach. Bavaro beach is amazing. One of the most beautiful things ive ever seen. We had a great week at the Gran Bahia Principe punta cana, we stayed in the Royal Golden section which was fine but the rooms do look tired and need updating to be a five star accomodations. German and Fransisco at the swim up bar were amazing and made everyone very "Happy Happy". The food was good, but I found some of the options at the a la carte a bit confusing. Also I would have to think twice about taking a trip where you have no room from twelve noon check out till 830 pm that night. Also when we meantioned the issues we had with our arrival and the "bug room" , they only thing they could offer us was another a la carte, and were not accomodating to a late check out for inconvience. Also I think that every room should have a "do not disturb" sign just in case you decided to have a romantic afternoon in the sheets, so that you are not interupted bedside by the maid while your in the middle of "something" giving you a new comforter. I swear she did not knock. All in all we had a great vacation, but I would definately try another 5 star before coming back here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TashaDSaintJohn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,481)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My family and I have been to Gran Bahia Principe two years running. This is our forth time going to punta cana. Last year we stayed on the Bavaro side in the diamond club (april 2011) and this year we stayed on the punta cana side in the royal golden club both for 1 week each. Everything from grounds to rooms was clean. All the staff were very friendly with the kids (3 and 6). There is good selection of food to satisfy anyone, buffet does get a little boring though. The beach is beautiful. Both years we went for weddings. We had no intention of going this year but knowing the hotel and the resonible price, it made it hard not to go. I would recommend this to anyone with or without kids. We never went off the resort. It is a fairly decent sized resort, but they do have trams running up and down all the time. Quicker to walk most times if you don't have kids, but sometimes it is just to hot to walk. Used the Casino last year and was happy because I left ahead playing poker. Also went to the club last year, was ok but then again I am not much for that atmosphere. Didn't got to either this year because of the different dynamics of the group of people we went with. They do have a kids show in there shopping square, still not sure when they started but we were able to hit a couple of them and the kids really enjoyed it. They have a whole bunch of vendors in the middle that will literally almost lead you by the hand to there set-up. They have there sob stories so don't worry about that. I wanted my daughter to picked something that she wanted and not what they were showing her, so I had to be very aggressive with them. When it is time to buy something you also have to be very aggressive with them dropping whatever price they give you to a least 25%. So if they asked 20, you would give them 5. If you don't like that, they have the stores around the perimeter and some throughout the resort that is no haggle. The main entertainment was mostly dancing numbers and was for the most part was fine, the kids enjoyed it if they didn't fall asleep by that time. They had one night that they had a circus night, It was really good for the setting (hotel show), very impressed. We had one problem with our sink not draining in our room but when we called, it was literally fixed in 10 minutes. Only lasting issues I had was trying to book the a la cartes; we have young kids that could not wait until 9:00 or so to eat that being the only time you could get into some of them. That was a little dissappointing. We were able to get into some we wanted. We had the BBQ last year and wanted to go again this year but couldn't get in. Steak house was decent, Mexican was much better then I thought it would be, Italian was a safe bet especially with picky kids. And the only other issue was sharing a twin bed with my wife when we are use to having a king, not an issue if you are sharing the room only with your significant other as you would get a king bed.

Room Tip: If you have kids and don't plan on going to the beach too much, stay closer to the main lobby us...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear Mr. Shawn,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen once again one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. It is a real pleasure to learn that you could enjoy a nice time together during your last stay with us.

As a repeater client your opinion is very important to us. It is thanks to guests like you, that our Company has reached the success and gained prestige through the last years.
Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward, such a wonderful comments, to all our Punta Cana staff.

Looking forward to seeing you soon

Regards from Bavaro!!
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The hotel was nice, common areas were ver clean. Rooms were nice, A/C had a hard time keeping up at times. Food in the buffet could use a little upgrade, restraints were also ok. Pool and beach were nice, beware that the entertainment group is ALWAYS around which gets old towards the end of the week. Overall a fun and relaxing experience.

• Stayed May 2012
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Clean hotel. Great restaurants and good food. Friendly food and room service.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Sexyt40
London
Reviewed June 15, 2012

myslef and my boyfriend both 24 Stayed at the Gran Bahia Golden section from 22nd may for 2 weeks had a great holiday and would return to this hotel again.

We were taken into a side office area and seated with a welcome drink for a group check in rather than at main reception as that was the golden reception area much better than witing in a line after a 9 hour flight. we were taken on tram to our rooms as the resort is huge. We didnt get much info at this check in and then got lost that evening because we didnt know where to go to eat.
We stayed in villa 21 opposite the pool, beach, mexican rest and snack bars we found it the perfect location we only had to go to the lobby in the morning for breakfast and in the evening for dinner we preferred being closer to the pool. We used the trams to get around the resort as its too hot to walk during the day.
The room was very big with a nice big bed, seating area and a mini fridge that is stocked up with soft drinks although you dont always get it refilled properly. The rooms where clean enough and we got clean towels everyday the bathroom had a jacuzzi bathtub/shower and hairdryer.

We had 8 Al a cart bookings and we used them all and loved every meal in them. Some of them we went to twice the Mexican, Italian, BBQ, Japanese, Steakhouse. The buffet got a bit boring but there was always something to eat but once you have had the al a cart you dont want to go back to the buffet. Make sure you book the al a carts on your 1st day as they get booked up in advance and go early in the morning as the que gets very long.
There are 3 pools 1 big one near the beach and 2 smaller ones in the middle of the resort we went to the big pool everyday but 1 as it was outside our room. You can help yourself to some drinks round the pool or go to the bar the 2 lunch buffets/snack bars are located either end of the big pool. Went to the beach once got very burnt and there was alot of seaweed in the sea so we didnt get in very far much preferred sitting by the pool. The weather was sooo hot not 1 bad day in 2 weeks lots of shade on the beach and umbrellas round the pool i am a sun worshiper and can usually lay in it all day but here it was too hot had to be in the shade the pool was nice to cool down its not deep anywhere and never feels unbareably ice cold like some pools.
There is not much to do in the evenings once you finish dinner you can go to the lobby for drinks but its a bit boring ( all the waitresses were friendly) the show starts at 9.45 and its always dancing some of them are good but not enough variety once the show finishes there is another show done by the animation team mostly audience based quite funny but got a bit samey that is done over in another area its a big square with shops all round a casino, nightclub and kareoke bar. The casio we went to once but it wasnt very good quite old machines and the nightclub was mostly spanish music only went twice. Kareoke bar always seemed busy. Dont walk through the middle of the square the vendors drag you to their stall tell you a sob story and then try to sell you a plastic bracelt for $45 i laughed in his face total rip off merchant.
Most of the staff where very nice and always happy but there was the odd few that where a bit misearble or rude. we tipped at all of the al a carts as the service was good the buffet we only tipped if we felt they deserved it a few did sometimes we didnt even get offered a drink with our meal. All the staff in the grounds of the hotel will always say hola as you walk around.
We had a couples VIP massage at the spa and that was lovely, we palyed mini golf after breakfast and i got eaten alive by some bugs that must have been in the grass i got 52 bites in half and hour and they came up straight away and where huge. We didnt get many bites at night but we were using 2 types of repellant and bands after we saw other people covered in bites.

We booked 3 trips with our rep to Saona island, shopping trip and the buggie tour.
Saona island we got a speed boat over to stopped to visit a sand bank and hold starfish then snokling then onto the island for lunch that didnt look very apealing but didnt taste too bad then we got a catamaran back was a nice trip. The shopping trip took us to a cigar factory, rum factory with a cave full of bats, supermarket and then onto plaza real shopping centre it was nice there but not much to buy. The supermarket was good to get stuff cheap suncream becuase in the hotel was 25$ to 30$ and chrisps where 7$.
For the buggie tour we was picked up in an open truck that we very bumpy and uncomfortable we was travelling for over an hour in it at 1 point the driver stopped in the middle of nowhere then stopped ramdomly in the texaco garage and got out and left us we thought we was going to get kidnapped as it is awful outside the resort i did not feel safe at all the local men were trying to get in back of the truck asking to shine our shoes when we had flipflops on???? Once we finally made it to our destination it was in a gated area called Cap cana near the airport we drove around in the buggies went to the beach then stopped off at a cave with a natural swimming pool in it we wasnt told we would be trecking through jungle to get to this cave and didnt have trainers on we were climbing down rocks and mud in flipsflops and we got eaten alive again the natural swimming pool was ice cold would not recommend the buggie tour but the other 2 where enjoable.

Overall we had a great 2 weeks and would return again.

Also the hotel has great dissabled facilitys ramps everywhere and the pool has a sloped area we saw some people in wheelchairs being wheeled into the pool down it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nicolamcdo
, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear Nicola,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to our Bahia Principe Punta Cana.

We are happy to hear that we meet all of your accommodation needs, and we will continue to strive to get better at what we do. All your comments have been forwarded to the corresponding departments.

Can't wait to see you again!

Iván G. Teijeiro Doce.
Hotel Manager.
toronto
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This was our 3rd stay at the Bahia Principe. My husband and I stayed there June 3rd -10th. Excellent resort. Very clean rooms and grounds. You can see staff working day and night to maintain the place and keep it clean. Pool areas well maintained. Beautiful beach. Food is a matter of taste, not the best for me however was never hungry, there is a huge variety of food and always something to eat. The staff were very friendly and always tried their best ( this was a big improvement from previous years). We had the chance to meet the manager ( Ivan), and we do congratulate him on a very well run resort. The only thing that we found to be annoying is the priviledge club staff. They were there to get you and did not take the "We are not interested" answer well... very pushy.
We would definitely go back to this resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank monalisatoronto
ivangtd, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear Monalisatoronto,

Thank you for your kind comments about your accomodation at Bahia Principe Punta Cana. We are happy that we made your stay excellent.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Iván G. Teijeiro Doce.
Hotel Manager.
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have been to Punta Cana 5 times. First time at this resort. The resort is huge and confusing. We were given a room in the golden section without the benefits as we were green bands. Reading the discreption of this resort, we thought everyone had room service, Wrong. The first few days were havock. The toilet was blocked. The hand held shower in the tub has only a partical glass blocking the water. The first shower I told the whole room was wet including the clean dry towels.
The first buffet we went to on the Bavaro side, we were told we had to go around to the Punta Cana side for the buffet. The first night we were there, we got lost. Most of the staff does not
speak english. We were asking other people if they knew where are building was. There was no response as there are people from all over and many do not speak english.

The pools are beautiful and clean. The rooms are outdated and could use a fresh painting. And we were told we were in the better section. The grounds are well cared for. The dominican people do work hard and I'm sure for little money. They deserve your tips.

We did meet two very helpful girls in customer service. Corrina and Kenya were both very helpful and friendly. They told us to call them if we had and problems.

The resturants were good. You have to specify you want the grille in the Japanese Rest. or you
will get a table and have to order off the menu. Most Japenese Rest in Punta Cana put on a show, they don't there.

It's definitly not a 5 star, but is is a good value for the money.

Room Tip: The web site lists room service but fails to tell you its not for everyone. Also some of the sectio...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends