I think our first mistake was to take a trip that landed us at night in a foreign country. This was our first trip away, to another country as a couple, we have been together for 14 years. We landed into the punta cana airport at 1230 am and were quickly pushed through customs. We then boarded our bus to transfer us to the hotel, this process was a bit confusing as they intially told us to get on one bus that was the wrong one. Finally we were on our way to the resort and while travelling there the manager got up and started calling names out. He was passing out our hotel information as we would be checking in via the trip there. We had everything we needed keys etc except a safe which we could arrange we were told the next morning. I have to be honest and tell you I found the wrong checking in on a bus a little confusing. We finally arrived at the resort and were quickly driven to our rooms via the conceirge. This resort is massive and in the dark you would have no idea where you were going. We got to our room and I had decided to take a shower as I felt dirty after travelling all day/night. The first thing I was greeted by was bugs in the bathroom wall. My husband quickly took care of them only to see two more over by the toilet. While I had my bath, he decided to grap something to drink out of the fridge and again was greeted by a centipede in the fridge. We were a little taken aback as we thought by asking for a room higher up that we would not have as many bug issues. When I was done having my shower I walked over to the balcony area where there is a couch in the living area and out of the corner of my eye i seen a bug crawl into the couch. I asked my husband to take the cushion off the couch to see what was underneath and was shocked to see approximately 10-15 different kinds of bugs underneath. We quickly did a go through of the room and found more bugs on the bedspread of the bed. At this point there was no way I was sleeping in this room and we decided to wander down to the lobby at 2 am to find someone to switch our rooms. We were originally in Room 4202. The front desk person tried very hard to understand what we were saying, and eventually understood and we were shown to another room, this time in the 6's. They brought us back to the original room to get our things but before we could leave we noticed bugs that looked like Cochroaches in my toiletry bag. We quickly dumped our suitcases out and shook everything before we left for the new room. The new room was not ready for visitors, it had no towels etc but I did not have one bug the entire time we were there. We finally got into bed approximately 4 am ish. When we woke up we were greeted by the beautiful sun. We quickly got dressed and went to the beach. Bavaro beach is amazing. One of the most beautiful things ive ever seen. We had a great week at the Gran Bahia Principe punta cana, we stayed in the Royal Golden section which was fine but the rooms do look tired and need updating to be a five star accomodations. German and Fransisco at the swim up bar were amazing and made everyone very "Happy Happy". The food was good, but I found some of the options at the a la carte a bit confusing. Also I would have to think twice about taking a trip where you have no room from twelve noon check out till 830 pm that night. Also when we meantioned the issues we had with our arrival and the "bug room" , they only thing they could offer us was another a la carte, and were not accomodating to a late check out for inconvience. Also I think that every room should have a "do not disturb" sign just in case you decided to have a romantic afternoon in the sheets, so that you are not interupted bedside by the maid while your in the middle of "something" giving you a new comforter. I swear she did not knock. All in all we had a great vacation, but I would definately try another 5 star before coming back here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Jacuzzi Sun terraces Lounger, sun umbrella and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, multi-sports court Water activity centre Motorised sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Meeting and convention room 1 buffet restaurant and 5 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 16 bars Wedding gazebo Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Punta Blanca Golf Club (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, disco and casino Rooms 756 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with Jacuzzi, hair dryer and a full range of amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda). Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Baby Station Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teen's club Other Services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) WiFi in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BP Travel USA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Gran Bahia Principe