“Buyer beware on Windy Days”

Mike's Marina Fishing Charters SRL
More attraction details
Owner description: Mike's Marina Fishing Charters SRL is the longest running Outfitter in Punta Cana for offshore Sportfishing, Bottom Fishing, Flyfishing on Big Game/Billfish Charters. Mike's Marina Fishing Charters is operating from it's Piers #C28 and #C29 at the Cap Cana Marina. Services include National and International Sportfishing Tournaments, always top boats, top tackles, top crews. All Charter Rates shown on Our Website are only valid as Early Online Booking Rates to be booked and confirmed prior to arrival in the DR. For Last Minute/after Arrival bookings please request availability and late Booking Rates directly by phone or via the website's contact form.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked a deep sea fishing charter with Mikes marina fishing charter and emailed him the day before, to check to see if the trip would be cancelled because the wind was blowing quite hard and he assured me that everything would be OK.
We went fishing on Jan 28th on the Gladiator and it wasn't OK, the waves were rolling 10'- 15'. After being banged around for 1 1/2hrs, I told the captain to take us in.

I guess that's why we didn't see any other fishing boats out there.

We called Mike( he doesn't have an office at the marina and doesn't really know the sea conditions) to discuss final payment and the best he would do was $200 off the $600 rate. I think the trip should have been cancelled.
I have been In email contact and all I get are excuses, NO refund for seasickness, no matter how hard the wind is blowing and how high the seas are.
I should have trusted my instinict and cancelled and only been out of the 100 dollar deposit.

Reading the reveiws after the fact, it seems to be a common thread that he doesn't cancel on windy/extremely rough days.

FYI - Gladiator doesn't have a chair, they use fishing belts. Even if we had caught a fish on this rough day, there wouldn't have been any place on deck to wedge yourself in too reel in the fish.

10  Thank bambamohio
There are newer reviews for Mike's Marina Fishing Charters SRL

Reviewed February 24, 2013

It was a tough day fishing but we managed to catch one sailfish during our 4 hr trip. However, the other four boats that went out at the same time came back empty. Captain and crew spoke little
English but were friendly and accomodating, I think they were as excited as we were to finally land a fish after 3+ hours of no action.

We fished aboard the 29' Gladiator which I do not recommend. There is no comfortable seating in the back of the boat, the smell of diesel is always present, and this boat is a bit small for a 15 mph winds which, based on our week there, seems to be the norm.

I would either book a bigger boat through Mike's or consider other charters.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had a great mother-daughter fishing experience, from booking (booked a month before our trip) right though being dropped off at our resort after the outing. When booked, we got a confirmation email asking us to be in the lobby 15 minutes early in case the driver was early, and that was helpful because she was ahead of schedule (or right on time if you factor in they mentioned they could be early). I grew up at a bait shop and do a lot of Minnesota lake fishing and have fished in the flats of the Gulf of Mexico, but this was the first time we ever went deep sea fishing. It is very different from lake fishing. The fish are obviously much bigger (as are their teeth) and the technique in luring and landing them takes a lot more skill, in my opinion. The guides were very experienced and made sure our outing was just as much safe as fun. We booked the shared excursion and lucked out being the only two on the outing. It was a bit breezy and somewhat wavy, as expected, but I started to feel a touch of sea sickness, then we got a bite. The adrenalin from the excitement alleviated the sea sickness. Our guides couldn't speak much English and we didn't know much Spanish, but we were able to communicate enough when important. We saw a couple whales on our outing too! At the end of the 1/2 day trip we had two wahoo landed, one a trophy-sized and the other average-sized. My past experiences with fishing was that "catch and release" was an option. These fish are dangerous and must be killed before removing them from the hook. We didn't have a kitchen in our resort room and didn't check with the resort staff before our outing to see if they could cook our fish for us. That is one thing I would recommend doing and then just keep enough of the catch for one meal. I have cooked a lot of fish in my lifetime, but never tasted wahoo and wished I could have tried it. We let the guides keep our fish. The guides were good about pointing out things of interest in the water and our driver was personable on the way to and from the landing. I'd recommend Mike's Marina to anyone wanting to go deep sea fishing.

2  Thank LizzyGo
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our family visited the Dominican 2nd week of October. Wanting to go fishing, we booked online with Mike's Marina. The best charter service in the Dominican! Prompt and ontime pickup from our hotel and a free sightseeing tour on the way to the marina. Once there, we were introduced to our crew. Luis and Charlie were very polite and informative as they gave us an informative overview on how we would fish and resources of the boat. Within 15 minutes of departure we were trolling for fish and enjoying being out in the open ocean! While only cathing 4 Mahi Mahi, we still enjoyed time spent on the Gladiator! Fishing is fishing, not always CATCHING! If you want to have an enjoyable experience fishing in the Dominican, Mikes Marina will give you the best experience out there!

2  Thank rumpke
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were in Punta Cana two years ago and considered fishing only to find out that six boats had radioed in that zero fish were caught. We declined so as not to waste our hard earned money. Fast forward two years and once again we are inclined to test the waters. We had booked ahead of time with Mikes Marina so that we would be ensured a charter. Unfortunately we were picked up by the driver only to be told that the fishing had not been good and that the seas had been too rough. The driver also explained that NO fish were being caught. Rough was an understatement. We were on the predator which was a 36' vessel. The swells/waves were so rough/huge that at least a half a dozen times the boat would crest at the top of a wave and come COMPLETELY out of the water going airborne. When this happened We all had to hold on to something as when the boat remade contact with the water it was bone jarring. We had all taken Dramamine so as not to ruin the trip. We simply did it as a precaution. The Dramamine did not work and we all felt the repercussions of the unsafe and violent ocean. More time was spent in the bathroom than in the cabin. In order to not get flung around the bathroom (head) you had no choice but to wrap your arms around the base of the toilet. Needless to say we caught nothing. I have fished in eight different countries and never experienced anything traumatic like this. The only reason this rating gets two stars instead of one is because the mates were very professional and apologetic at the end of the trip. We have been skunked before so that is not my complaint. This trip should have been cancelled by the owner but instead he took the money and ran without remorse. What a waste of $1.000.00. The last time I had an experience where we caught nothing was in Negril Jamaica. The Captain offered another day at half price. Mikes Marina never even called. I can only hope that there is some shame involved with this decision. The trip should have been cancelled. Needless to say we paid for six hours of hell.

7  Thank johnmilk