“Great day with Mimi and Fabio”

Bavaro Runners Adventures
$119.00*
Monkeyland and Zipline Adventure from Punta Cana
Ranked #9 of 242 Tours in Punta Cana
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore all the hidden treasures that this wonderful country has to offer. Visit a spectacular cave, ancient shelter for the Taino Indians and discover their secrets. Enter a typical house and learn how the local people live and visit their coffee and cocoa plantations. Also have fun horseback riding. Take a walk through the sugarcane field and see firsthand how Dominicans roll the world's best cigars. An adventure high in colors!
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Didn't know what to expect for this, but is was a wonderful day. Mimi (tour guide) and Fabio (driver) made the day fun and really enjoyable. Horseback ridding then on to a local cave, traditional native ceremony followed by a local home with real chocolate, fresh coffee and Mama Juana. Lunch and then off to cigars and sugarcane plantation. Highly suggested.

1  Thank Jennifer197367
Runners_Adventures, Manager at Bavaro Runners Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2014

Thank you for recommending us! We are glad that you enjoyed the trip

Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was a fun tour and a good diversion from our Punta Cana Resort. The reservation process was easy - we made ours by phone the day before - and the driver was in place just as stated. We picked up additional passengers from nearby resorts, so our group was around 20 people in total. The drive through the countryside was beautiful and interesting. The tour went pretty much as described on their website except for one thing:

Their website states, "This excursion would not be complete if we were not to go for a refreshing swim in a paradisiac beach, immersed in one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean, and located on the Northern coastline of the Dominican Republic." It also advises passengers to bring "sunblock, a towel, and a swimsuit." My family prepared for swimming as advised, but when our guide described our day's itinerary, he did not mention the beach. When I inquired, he said that they no longer go to the beach - they used to - but now that excursion has been replaced with a visit to the Taino cave and village. Given that it was such a hot and humid day, I would have enjoyed the beach more. The Taino village was just, "okay," (kinda cheesy) but did give you a bit of history about the region. You will walk through a cave with active bats. They don't bother you, but if that creeps you out, then be forewarned. In addition, you do need to bend low to walk through one section of the cave into another space. I imagine you can avoid going through the cave altogether if you'd like. Just say so, and they'll give you another way to get to the village demonstration, I'm sure.

The other issue I have is the horseback riding. Our guide said we would spend about 20-25 minutes on the horses but it was only about ten minutes. I think our time was shortened because another Runners Tour group arrived while we were mounting our horses. They were waiting for us to finish so they could ride.

Apart from that, the tour was fun. We drove high up a mountain to see the coffee and cocoa farm, and even higher to have our traditional Dominican lunch. I thought it was delicious! If you're vegetarian, there are a few options: rice, beans, and salad. But bring your own food if you're particular.

Words of advice: be prepared for bumpy, undeveloped roads. If you are pregnant or have some condition that you shouldn't be jostled around then this tour is not for you. There were two children as young as five on our tour. They seemed to do okay overall, but the age for riding horses is twelve, I think. You should check that out before you book. It might be dusty, depending on when you go, so plan accordingly. At every stop, there was an opportunity to buy something. Its up to you, but be prepared to bargain. I found the outside vendors at the sugar/tobacco cane excursion to be incredibly bold and pushy. One offered to sell me two necklaces, but give me three if I gave him $10 "under the table." I walked away. Tip the guys who pose for pictures. You'll know them when you see them.

1  Thank Traveling_More

Thank you for taking the time and giving us your feedback! We stopped our visit to the Macao beach about 1 year ago because of so much conjestion with other tours. We hope you enjoyed the cave which we believe is much better and are receiving greater reviews. we want to apologize for the confusion and we do not have that tour description on our website. If you purchased the tour online with a tour operator then they might not have had the updated program description.
You are correct though, the horseback riding should be 20 minutes and we are taking note and checking out what happened that day. About the food, our menu also includes beef and chicken, the goal of Bavavro Runners is to give you the chance of experiencing the real Dominican Republic (life, customs and food) and for that reason we don’t offer a wide range as a restaurant. But we are happy that you enjoyed the food so I think it didn´t affect your overall positive experience!

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

This was an amazing excursion. From the moment we stepped in board Mimi's jeep for our excursion we could not stop laughing and having fun. Although we were all strangers on the jeep -Mimi made us quickly feel like a family. He kept the enthusiasm going with his energetic nature. We also learned so much about the Dominican culture. It truly shows that Mimi is extremely knowledgable and he made sure to answer all our questions. We were sad to leave our one day family but were so grateful to have had such am AMAZING TOUR GUIDE. Thank you Mimi!!!

Reviewed July 27, 2014

The 'Bavaro Runners' adventure travel tour of Dominican Republic, hosted by Sammy and transportation provided by Fabio, fun, educational, I will treasure the experience. Ahora, hay un lugar especial en mi corazón para DR.

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Take this excursion if you want to see a good representation of the real D.R.. Learn about the island's history, agriculture, and rum and tobacco trade. Be entertained by knowledgable and an energetic guide and driver, (Nacho and Elvis). With the added benefit of knowing you made a contribution to the DR educational system.
The travel up the mountain was rough at times, with a lot of unpaved roads, but the scenery is beautiful and you get a real look at how Dominican life is like outside the resorts. Nacho was not only hilariously entertaining he was full of homeopathic health tips.
The itinerary included horseback riding, tour of a sugar cane plantation, rum making demonstration, cigar rolling demonstration, visit a typical Dominican family and residence, tour caves, and take part in a native Indian ritual. I got a lot of great pictures for this trip's photo book.
The excursion was a full day trip. Left the resort at 9:30am and returned around 5:00pm. This excursion satisfied my cultural curiosity and had plenty of fun along the way.