We stayed at Secrets from Feb. 11th – Feb. 18th. Eight of us went there for my husband’s 50th Birthday trip. We have travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean and stayed at many all-inclusive resorts (approx. 16), as well as many other hotels/resorts around the world.
I can honestly say that this is a five star all-inclusive resort, and one of my favourites so far. I have heard other reviewers (who have never been to an AI) compare Secrets Sanctuary to five and six star hotels in North America and Europe. This doesn’t make sense…..it is two completely different experiences and expectations……….you might as well compare apples to oranges. This review is in comparison to other all-inclusives.
The resort itself is just beautiful, with stunning flowers and landscaping everywhere you look. We did get upgraded to a Monarch Villa which was very nice. We had a separate living/dining area, with a good size bedroom and large bathroom. We also had a little backyard with a large deck, which was very peaceful. Maid service was great. Room was usually done first thing, and then a turn down service in the evening.
The food on the whole was very good, ranging from good to excellent . Our favourite was probably the steak house, followed by Cappricio and Blue Marlin (tied), and then the Wok. Show table (hibatchi) at the Wok was great, but when we went a la carte, a couple of people from our group were not thrilled with their main dish. I loved mine, with the only thing wrong being that the rice was not cooked properly. Almost like it was friend before being steamed and/or cooked. No big deal, everything else had been amazing so far. We did order room service a couple of times for breakfast. It took about a half hour and was very good. Other people in our group ordered late night room service and said it was good as well.
The staff at Secrets is amazing. A big shout out to Frank from the entertainment staff, Carlos and Jose from the main pool, Thomas from the Ocean Bar, and Denise from the Love Bar. They were so many other people, but cannot remember all of their names. All the wait staff at the pools, restaurants, and Love Bar, were fantastic, as well as the hostess’. We were constantly asked while sitting around the pool, if we needed anything. A couple of times we ordered lunch by the pool. Service was top notch. While our whole group always tips, we talked to some people who didn’t think it was necessary at an AI. The staff does deserve it, and we all took turns tipping at dinner, as well as a couple of dollars here and there for drinks, lunch, etc.
We were drinking Canadian Club, and after a couple of days, they had run out. My friend mentioned to the bartender that we usually drank Crown Royal, and he said he had a bottle in the office and got it for us right away. My husband later talked to David, and he made sure there was a bottle at the Love Bar and pool bar. This was really appreciated, as you do want to be able to have the drink of your choice. We were extremely pleased at how fast David rectified the situation. David, The Food and Beverage Manager (I believe), was visible our whole trip…checking in on the restaurants and bars, as well as the guests.
I did see a couple of people complaining, and I now know where some of the bad reviews come from. These people were rude and it was disturbing to see how they treated the staff.
The beach while very small, was beautiful. If you want to go for a long walk on the beach, then it’s not for you. I loved it and enjoyed sitting on a lounger while looking at the turquoise water. The colour of the water is just gorgeous. There are two other beaches on either side of the resort.
The ocean bar/pool at the top of the Fortress was great. Small pool with approx.. 12 lounge chairs and seating on the side with comfy chairs and tables. The view was stunning. Great service from the bar as well….thanks again Thomas.
All in all, it’s a wonderful resort, and I would highly recommend it to anyone. If you’re thinking of going…do it, if you’re already booked, ENJOY!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Its inspired design combines the charm of a Spanish colonial village with the laid-back sensuality of the Caribbean and the stylish sophistication of streamlined, modern design accents. Bougainvillea-lined pathways lead guests through the resort grounds to 176 expansive, private suites housed in replicas of a tower, colonial buildings and fortress. Within the resort are 5 exceptional restaurants, 5 bars, an elegant casino, a half-mile private beach with sugar-white sand, and meeting space for up to 500 guests, while just minutes away lie all the world-class recreational appeals of Cap Cana. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Jetsetter, Priceline, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Resort