“An up and coming resort”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #40 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Merrick, New York
“An up and coming resort”
Reviewed October 5, 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana for our 20th Wedding Anniversary and I would describe SSCC as an “up and coming” resort. The progress that the staff and management has made since this resort became a full-time all-inclusive in April 2010 is spectacular. We encountered one couple who were at the resort this past April and had rave reviews for the changes made in such a short time.

I will try not to repeat what other posters have stated about this resort and I will strive to give you a different perspective about this resort.

While you can nit-pick this resort to death as some other reviewers have I almost think you have to almost work at having a bad time at this resort. My wife have been to all-inclusive resorts such as Diamond Cozemel , Ciboney Ocho Rios and Wyndham St.Lucia (all three no longer exist); Beaches Turks & Caicos (visited twice) and El Dorado Royale, Secrets Capri and Royal Hideaway (all in the Mexican Maya Riviera) so we have experienced the full spectrum of all-inclusive resorts.

We were originally booked for a Castle Junior Suite Swim-Out room but due to construction of the new spa we were switched to a much superior accommodation. Only after exploring the fortress and finding the construction site did we hear any noise. Any construction noise was negligible and construction was limited to during the day while most guests are the pool or on excursions. The resort is taking great strides to keep noise down to a minimum.

Nowhere else have I seen management so accessible and willing to address any problems that you may have as I have seen at SSCC. Before you even step foot on the property you can find the manager of the resort posting on the resort’s Facebook page and responding to reviews on TripAdvisor. On-site you can always find a member of the resort management walking the grounds. In fact, if you wish to find a member of the management team you can always find them at the weekly guests versus management volleyball game. This is where I met Carlos for the first time as I watched the game. My volleyball skills are abysmal so I abstained from participating but Carlos actually took time out between serves to introduce himself to me, shake my hand and ask if there were any problems with my stay.

I also encountered Cory the food & beverage manager and had several chats with him about the food and resort in general over the week. In speaking with Cory I found out that he has re-provisioned much of the food out of Atlanta, Georgia (USA) in order to get a better level of product consistency. His current goal is overcoming several cultural perceptions of the staff and getting the restaurants to provide a consistently excellent dining experience day in and day out.

I met a few guests who had a tough or rubbery steak at the David Crockett Steakhouse but I had the mixed grill twice there and found all the cuts in the selection to be excellent. I frequently attend a lot of vendor “dog & pony” shows for work at several steak houses in New York City like Ruth Criss, Morton’s, Bobby Van’s and actually found the quality of the mixed grill to be as good as, if not better than, the fare served at these Manhattan venues.

In my conversations with Cory I also found out that he plans on changing how the mini-bars in the rooms are resupplied after actually going out with his team and determining how inefficient the current process is. He plans on ordering rolling cages to pre-position throughout the resort to speed up the resupply of the mini-bars.

Most of the problems that we did encounter at Secrets Sanctuary were tied to the physical plant and others are simply what I would call “fifteen minute” fixes. The previous owners took a few shortcuts with some of the construction of the resort and now some of those shortcuts are giving the Secrets staff an undeserved black eye. I have seen the staff debug an electrical nightmare, malfunctioning doors, broken or uninstalled (in the fortress) elevators, air conditioning odors and broken pipes. In no way should you think that the place is falling down but the Secrets engineering staff is diligently swatting every little Gremlin that pops up as promptly as they can while the management invests in upgrading the infrastructure they inherited when they took over the resort.

I must extend kudos to the engineering staff personally. One day during our stay the private pool on our balcony dropped a foot in depth and began making the worst sucking noise you could imagine. Within minutes of reporting the problem we had two engineers hopping the fence so as not to disturb us like two maintenance Ninjas. A few dashes to the bowels of the fortress and back by the staff the problem was remedied within the hour. You could have used these guys on the ServPro TV commercials because when they were done “it was like it never really happened”!

I found the staff to be very motivated and genuinely friendly. They are not friendly because they have to be or fishing for tips – the staff is truly friendly because they want to be! My wife and I had an in-depth conversation with one member of the staff who had worked for several resorts in Punta Cana prior to coming to Secrets Sanctuary. The staff member said that of all the resorts he has worked for in Punta Cana, he stated that Secrets Sanctuary treated him the best. This same employee postponed his days off in order to assist with a large group that was checking in when we were checking out of the resort.

Of the fifteen minute fixes I mentioned before I would recommend are: wiping the caps and tops of cans clean before being placed in the mini-bar (being addressed by Cory, the F&B manager); a bagel cutter in Casa Bella or pre-slice the Dominican Republic version of a bagel (I kept forgetting to mention this to Cory); better music at the pools – maybe a little more local Salsa and Meringue music too. The music at the Ocean club pool definitely needs upgrading. I get the Zen experience but some of the stuff is coma inducing. I would also suggest checking the music selection that plays in the restaurants too. Playing Italian music in the Wok restaurant can really kill the mood. Placing a chalk or marker board near the pool with a schedule of the daily events, what restaurants are open, etc. would help too instead of trying to remember where we placed “The Sundial” newsletter that is placed in our room each night.

I could go on with little criticisms of the resort but I think the foundation and dynamics are there for this resort to be a top tier contender in about a year. My wife and I would not hesitate to return to this resort – and we hope to do so as soon as we can.

6 Thank gnm1962
SecretsSanctuaryCC, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your wonderful comments. We are delighted that we have exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to the beautiful Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana.

Carlos A Del Pino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,284)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We stayed for a week at the end of September and found other reviews very accurate.

The common areas are all quite nice, the pools are great, etc. If you are looking for quiet with amazing views the pool in the fortress is fantastic. The staff in general were also quiet nice though the phrase "excellente" and "my pleasure" became quiet comical by the end. Estabio (spelling my be off) Martinez,bartender at the Ocean Bar is the best! Look for him when you are there and you will make a great friend.

The actual accomodations/ rooms (we stayed in both a beach front and Villa suite) seemed to be where we experienced our greatest disappointment. The beach front is not really beach front...it just has sand in front of it. The rooms we stayed in were both in need of some maintenance and TLC. I got the impression that rooms in the fortress are nicer though there is construction happening in this area of the resort. Air conditioning went out serveral times, bedroom had water issues when it rained (put towels down to stop the rain from coming in one night and found crabs under the towels the next morning....kind of fun!) Shower drain backed up, etc. We didn't have much issues with bugs in our room even though we had an open aired bathroom other than a couple of really big roaches. Do take bug repellant though as there are mosquitos at night. Both rooms we stayed in did have a rather unpleasant smell so take travel candles and all will be well on this front. We didn't have much luck with concierge who seem to filter most calls on the resort. They did not call back when they said they would...several times we got tired of waiting for a return call and just went up to the lobby. They seem to be very busy.

The restaraunts are fine and the service is slow at times. We did get pretty tired of the menus across the resort as many seem to offer the same thing. Domincan Night was by far the highlight!

We went on this trip with other couples who had similar issues. We joking called this our "Carribean Vacation" Chevy Chase style....though nothing quite as dramatic. I would imagine this resort is aware of all the issues we encountered and has a long term plan to fix them. While I wouldn't return to this resort or recommend it to others I am very curious about what it will be like in a year or so given the incredible potential and top notch location.

My parting thoughs.... Trip Advisor helped me lower my expectations before arriving. Keep your expectations to that of a 3 Star resort and you will be just fine!

2 Thank GingerLS
Dear Guest

We appreciate your sincere review and thank you dearly for posting it on Tripadvisor. We are glad to learn that your stay was enjoyable. Corrective measures have been already taken regarding the maintenance in the rooms you stayed in. We apologize for not having met your expectation. We are concerned that you have this opinion of our hotel and we will love to have another opportunity to serve you again and change your perception.

Best Regards,

Nassau, New York
Reviewed October 2, 2010

First off I have to start by saying that the ppl who are complaining must be very hard to please and not much makes them happy...This is one of the best resorts we have ever been to..We were there for our honeymoon and could not be more happy! The food the service the entertainment!! Amazing!! And honestly there is no room at SS that could be a bad room ppl!! They are all breath taking and beautiful...You make your vacation what it is so stop picking everything apart just be happy and enjoy your vacation in paradise!! There is truly nothing more this place can offer!! The ppl who work here are by far the best! We never had a problem with any of the service at the restaurants the waiters are beyond friendly!! We loved everyone and everything there!! Pls DO NOT listen to the bad reviews just go and enjoy yourself you will not regret it!!!!!

2 Thank Demi724
Dear Guest

Thank you for the positive review. We are pleased you had a most enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed October 1, 2010

My wife and I have been going to Mexico and Domician Republic for 20+ years. This is the first time I have writen anything negitive about a resort. We have stayed in the most recent years in Adult Only Resorts. Excellence Playa Mujeres, Valentin Imperial Maya, The Royal in Cancun, Secrets Capri, and such. This is an honest evaluation of our short 5 day get away at SSCC from Sept 24 thru Sept 29.
Our short ride from the Airport was fast and pleasent. We arrived at Secrets Sanctuary and offered a Cold towel, drink and escorted to the reception desk. Check in was fast and we were rushed off to our room. When we arrived just feet from the Lobby , I told the bellboy that we were suppost to be in a Castle Jrs Suite so he took us back to the front desk. We were told that there was construction in the area and we would not like it. I told her that we chose a Castle Jrs Suite so that we could be near Juanillo Beach. The receptionist told us that the beach was not on there property with no service. This I all ready know. With my wife's request I surrendered. This could have been avoided if at check in they just told me that the Castle Jrs Suites were not available due to construction.

We were in Room 3036 that was a ocean view Junior suite and was centrally located with a great view of the Ocean and would meet our needs. Upon arrival the refrigerator was not stocked, the bellboy called and It was stocked in short time. This was the last time it was stocked for our stay. I called the concierge service twice and went down and asked the Concierge twice. With the same response, someone would be there soon. (that never happened) we were out of water (we brought some each day from the restaurants), out of beer and orange juice and pop. The resort states that the Mini-bar are refreshed daily. NOT The Nespresso coffee maker was a nice touch, but
The Nespresso capsule were never replaced, I asked the concierge twice to replace them and he stated right away. Once we got (2) and the second time got nothing. Added a note for the maid and that didn't do any good either. We just stopped asking. They state that rooms have the Secrets box, ours had none. (set your dirty stuff outside)
I was wondering if the more expensive suites were treated better because I talked to two other guests in our building and they had the same problems.

The first two (2) days we greeted all personnel with Hola and everyone replied. My wife and I noticed that the help all stated Hola first and that management did not until we stated it first. So the next three (3) days we did not greet any of the management first and only had 2 greet us. Whats up with that?

We ate at all of the restaurants except the Wok. We ate at the Blue Marlin twice and both times the service was sub par. On both occasions we were delivered the wrong food and once our food was given to other tables. One of the times there was 12 tables full and there was 4 waiters , The other tables were having the same problems. Two of the tables that came in after us had there meals before us and we all had the waiter. My suggestion would be to send all the the Blue Marlin waiters to Secrets Capri for some OJT. The other restaurants the wait people were much better, but they could use some fine tunning. Maybe our service in Mexico have placed the bar just too high!
We went to each nights entertainment programs and had a great time. The entertainment staff is the best that I have ever seen at any of the other resorts that we have stayed in. Willy Wonka, Miami. Also all of the waiters at all of the Bars, The Love Bar were the best.

We tipped over $200.00 in our short stay (when they deserved it) but most of the guests did not.

We went to Juanillo beach twice and it was just about empty both time on Sunday more families started to come when we left . That was great for swimming with no waves and all sand.

This resort is beautiful and has a lot going for it, I believe that in few years this could be a great resort. The area of Cap Cana is going to be the top vacation spot in the Dominican Republic. We will not return to this resort soon because of the issues above as we know that things will be much better at the Resorts we mentions at the start of this review.

2 Thank 61cad
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We pride ourselves on providing genuine, caring service and apologize that the stay did not meet your expectations.Once again thank you for selecting our hotel and Secrets Brand.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 1, 2010

My husband and I vacationed here from 9/18 to 9/25 with a few other couples. I'll start by saying that the resort has enormous potential, but it's a far cry from 5 star given our experience. All in all, I have fond memories of our vacation and there was plenty of good to be found, but go with an open mind and a determination to have a great time no matter what.

We arrived to find that we were upgraded to a Monarch Villa suite - thank you very much Secrets! All but one of the 3 other couples we were with received this upgrade, and the resort quickly fixed the 4th couple so we were all in Monarch Villas throughout the resort. These rooms are well laid out, private and with large decks. Ours was on the beach and we could walk right out onto the sand - I miss the sound of the waves at night! Only 3 or so other rooms on the resort have this that we could see, so we consider ourselves very lucky. We appreciated the location so much that we refused to move and chose to deal with the issues we had.

First, for those expecting a true 5 star resort, our room had badly scratched and bowed hardwood floors, the doors leading to the outside had to be forced shut and were badly damaging the floors in the suite, the bedroom door didn't close at all because it didn't fit in the door frame, etc. We were more than willing to overlook all of this given the overall room layout and location. Note that these suites have open air bathrooms so if you want air conditioning or more privacy in the bathroom, go with a different room layout. We didn't have this issue, but one of the couples we were staying with killed 18 spiders during their stay - not sure what the resort can do about this given that it's connected to the great outdoors.

The first day we were there, the air conditioning didn't work in the living room, (it did work in the bedroom so we were fine). We just called it in, and they came and adjusted it for us. It never did get quite cool enough for our tastes and struggled to keep up, but it was better - good enough that we were ok with it for the rest of our stay. We just kept the doors and window drapes closed to ensure that it was as cool as possible. One of the other couples we were with had this same issue in their room as well.

The 3rd day of our stay, the shower flooded badly and water covered the bathroom, closet, bedroom, etc. We called it in at 5pm or so, and waited for maintenance. By 6:30 we hadn't seen maintenance so I called again. They indicated that they would take care of it and that we should go enjoy our evening. We did, and came back to find that they had indeed taken care of it. The next day, we watched it carefully, and sure enough it flooded again. We never could find out where the flooding was coming from - it was definitely related to the shower, but it wasn't overflowing from the shower floor. I caught it in time so that we could clean it up with the towels we had, and we just spent the rest of our trip showering in spurts. Get wet..turn the shower off and soap up hair...rinse hair...turn the shower off...etc... We didn't have another issue, but we also didn't let the water run more than a minute or two at at time. I think we found the reason behind why the hardwoods were bowed and the bedroom door wasn't fitting on the frame - I don't think this is the first time that room has experienced flooding.

Room service is ok. The hamburger and fries are good. The menu is limited and pretty simple cuisine - burger, club sandwich, pizza, spaghetti, etc. The only breakfast available is continental. Two of the 4 or 5 desserts listed on the menu were mis-prints and didn't exist. Both us and another couple had issues getting what we'd ordered - they'd bring the appetizer but forget the salad, I think swiss cheese is a misprint on their menu as well because we never got it despite asking multiple times. Generally, we just overlooked it and laughed about it, but again for those of you expecting 5 star, it falls short.

The pools at this resort are fantastic. The main pool is very cruise-like; loud music, food and drinks aplenty, and lots of activities with crew members that push hard for you to participate. If you want a more active atmosphere, this pool is for you. There are quieter pools on the resort as well, including a pool in the fortress that was completely unpopulated and quiet with different music. There is a bar at this pool for drinks, but no food available in this area - this would be one suggestion I have, as we spent a lot of time at this pool. Estavio was a fantastic bartender over in this area - very sincere guy who is friendly, attentive and has a great sense of humor without that over the top cheesy approach that some of the other crew members had.

Restaurants are good; not out of this world good, but good. The breakfast buffet - pancakes and french toast were consistently cold, and if you want decaf coffee, you get Sanka instant. Omelets were good and they can make you a waffle behind the omelet station which is hot and fresh. They have fruit, pastries, meats/cheeses, bacon/sausage, and a small selection of cereals. I decided to have a toasted bagel one morning and the toaster actually sparked, smoked and stopped working. It shocked one of the workers who tried to touch it - National Lampoon's Carribbean Vacation continues... LOL. Obviously this can happen anywhere, and the resort had it fixed by the next day, so again, we just laughed it off and headed for the pool. My husband really liked his steak at the steak restaurant and the Wok sushi was really good though the selection was small - 5 or so basic rolls to pick from. In general, after 7 nights or so I was ready for a little variety as the menus at each restaurant are brief. The mexican night was canceled during our stay, which didn't help.

I could go on but this is already long enough. Tthis resort is indeed lovely and whoever designed/architected this place should be very proud. The grounds are extremely well maintained, the beach and pool areas are lovely and the staff is very friendly and "excellente". The service is hit or miss, the food needs an upgrade and this resort has a lot of maintenance work ahead of them to truly sell this place as a 5 star. Based on our experience, both the negative and positive experiences are accurate on Trip Advisor, and I would vacation here expecting that you will get a mix of both. As to whether or not I recommend this resort, it depends on what is important to you. If you care more about vacationing in a smaller resort with nice pools, friendly staff, and a chance to see D.R., and you can overlook the maintenance and periodic service issues, this is likely the place for you. If you're looking for a very high end experience with lots of attention to detail and superior service, look elsewhere. In comparing it to other All-inclusives, I ultimately wouldn't recommend this resort at this time, and won't be returning.

2 Thank aheer
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us through Trip Advisor and for selecting our hotel. We have read your comments and we are taking actions as we speak to correct those areas of opportunities you have mentioned. Once again thank you very much for selecting our Secrets Brand and we look forward to your return in the future.

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Just returned from Secrets Sanctuary, which was just awesome. The grounds are really spectacular, the service is great, and it is about as fine an R&R place as you could ever hope to find. A few notes:

ROOM
We stayed in a castle ocean view suite, and the room totally exceeded our expectations. It was a masterpiece of stone and wood with clean lines, giving it a very natural, yet contemporary, feel. We had a large balcony, walk in closet, separate sitting area, and a great bathroom. Check out the pillow menu in the services binder -- you can actually ask that specific types of pillows, some of which have aromatic qualities to them, to your room. That was an unexpected treat, not sure I've ever seen that anywhere.

GROUNDS
The grounds must be seen to be believed, photos really don't do them justice. Completely immaculate, and beautifully landscaped. They've even identified a number of "Romantic Spots" on the property map, and they are just that. If there's one knock on the place here, it's that the beach is just so-so directly in front of the resort. The sand is great, but it's pretty rocky at the water's edge, and even with water shoes, it can be pretty uncomfortable getting into the water. That said, there are beaches on either side of the resort that are wide, also have gorgeous sand, and are much more accessible. Our favorite was the beach to the south of the resort -- if you walk all the way down to where you're almost down to the next resort, there is an area where you'll find more conch shells than you've ever seen in your life -- really amazing. Aesthetically, the beach in front of the resort is great, though.

SERVICE
Across the board, everyone we encountered that worked there was friendly, helpful, and eager to do whatever you needed to make your trip perfect. Hats off across the board to everyone. A side note -- and this is not a criticism, just a note -- while English is spoken amongst the people with whom you interact regularly (i.e., reception, restaurant staff, bartenders, entertainment staff), I noticed that it tapers off the further you stray from their job function, or if you're asking for things that require straying from the menu. Other members of the staff speak pretty limited English, if any. With that said, we were always able to make ourselves understood without too much trouble.

FOOD
The food at Secrets ranged from pretty good to excellent at the a la carte restaurants, which is where we ate the overwhelming bulk of our meals. The lunch buffet was probably a notch above what you'd get at most AIs, but we ate at the Blue Marlin for lunch every day but one, which had some really nice dishes. For dinner, I think I probably preferred the Italian place to the others, but they were all very good, and you should be able to find something you like at all of them. I was a bit disappointed that the sushi menu at the Asian place offered very standard and uninspired fare -- we generally like to take advantage of the opportunity to get uber-fresh sushi when we're that close to the water, but we didn't even bother to try it. Que sera sera.

If I'm being completely honest, the minor shortcomings with the beach and the food would probably merit rating Secrets Sanctuary as a 4.5 star resort rather than a 5, but it's closer to a 5 than a 4, so I'm going with a 5. It's really a spectacular resort, and if rest and relaxation is your thing, you'd be hard-pressed to do much better. We had an awesome experience, and we'd absolutely come back here.

Feel free to float any questions my way.

2 Thank sirtoasty
SecretsSanctuaryCC, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with others through Trip Advisor and for selecting our hotel and Secrets Brand. It is extremely important for us to offer unique and unforgettable experiences. We have taken your comments into consideration in order to continue to delight our future guests. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you on a future vacation.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Having spent a week in Cap Cana, we definitively discovered what is the 'Secret' of the Santuary: Everything is just 'Excellente'!!

When my sister and I decided to take a vacation inthe Caribbeans, we mainly were looking for a resort that offered luxury, a room with an ocean view, a resort where we could find some peace and quiet to rest and recharge our batteries. While we haven't had the opportunity to stay in various resorts in the Caribbeans, we can honestly say that the Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana offered just what we were looking for and much more. Here, you are not just a regular guest, you are the resort #1 priority. The excellence of this resort lie on the wonderful staff who make your journey perfect. Your wishes are their command.

Room: Very spacious with a beautiful view on the ocean (we had the Junior Suite). The room is always kept very clean and the bed and linen are very comfortable. We even get housekeeping twice daily. While we personally were satisfied with the air conditionning, some may found it not efficient enough and a little noisy.

Food: There are 4 restaurants and a buffet that you can choose from on a daily basis including Asian, Italian, Steakhouse, and seafood. We even had a seafood fest one night which was absolutely incredible! We can honestly say that all restaurants serve high quality food and exceptional service. A special Thanks to Raul y Socrate (Casa Bella) y Bautista who provided us with an over the top service everytime!

Animation: The animation team and night entertainement were lots of fun. The entertainers were always in a great mood, ready to make sure that you are aware of the various activities taking place during the day without hassleling you. They really make this resort become alive!!! Alex, Miami, Willy Wonka and Gabriel, a special thanks to all of you for 'loving your job' so much and for making our journey so much fun!

Beach and watersports: The beach is beautiful as you would expect to found it in the caribbeans. However, you have to keep in mind that the beach in front of this resort is man made. The water is crystal blue but not translucide like you can find it in Varadero, Cuba for example. As far as watersports go, we must admit that we have found the choice a little limited and the location a little far from the main resort. We wish we would had access to Catamaran and\or sailboat.

Overall, what an experience it was! We would greatly recommend this resort to anyone who's looking for a peaceful vacation filled with pleasure!!!!

Many thanks to all the fantastic staff who work so hard to ensure guests are satisfied and go back home with the best vacation experience ever.

Las chicas Canadienses Isabelle y Martina

Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!