“Absolutely gorgeous property, fantastic trip!”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #42 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
St. Louis, MO
“Absolutely gorgeous property, fantastic trip!”
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Just returned from Secrets Sanctuary, which was just awesome. The grounds are really spectacular, the service is great, and it is about as fine an R&R place as you could ever hope to find. A few notes:

ROOM
We stayed in a castle ocean view suite, and the room totally exceeded our expectations. It was a masterpiece of stone and wood with clean lines, giving it a very natural, yet contemporary, feel. We had a large balcony, walk in closet, separate sitting area, and a great bathroom. Check out the pillow menu in the services binder -- you can actually ask that specific types of pillows, some of which have aromatic qualities to them, to your room. That was an unexpected treat, not sure I've ever seen that anywhere.

GROUNDS
The grounds must be seen to be believed, photos really don't do them justice. Completely immaculate, and beautifully landscaped. They've even identified a number of "Romantic Spots" on the property map, and they are just that. If there's one knock on the place here, it's that the beach is just so-so directly in front of the resort. The sand is great, but it's pretty rocky at the water's edge, and even with water shoes, it can be pretty uncomfortable getting into the water. That said, there are beaches on either side of the resort that are wide, also have gorgeous sand, and are much more accessible. Our favorite was the beach to the south of the resort -- if you walk all the way down to where you're almost down to the next resort, there is an area where you'll find more conch shells than you've ever seen in your life -- really amazing. Aesthetically, the beach in front of the resort is great, though.

SERVICE
Across the board, everyone we encountered that worked there was friendly, helpful, and eager to do whatever you needed to make your trip perfect. Hats off across the board to everyone. A side note -- and this is not a criticism, just a note -- while English is spoken amongst the people with whom you interact regularly (i.e., reception, restaurant staff, bartenders, entertainment staff), I noticed that it tapers off the further you stray from their job function, or if you're asking for things that require straying from the menu. Other members of the staff speak pretty limited English, if any. With that said, we were always able to make ourselves understood without too much trouble.

FOOD
The food at Secrets ranged from pretty good to excellent at the a la carte restaurants, which is where we ate the overwhelming bulk of our meals. The lunch buffet was probably a notch above what you'd get at most AIs, but we ate at the Blue Marlin for lunch every day but one, which had some really nice dishes. For dinner, I think I probably preferred the Italian place to the others, but they were all very good, and you should be able to find something you like at all of them. I was a bit disappointed that the sushi menu at the Asian place offered very standard and uninspired fare -- we generally like to take advantage of the opportunity to get uber-fresh sushi when we're that close to the water, but we didn't even bother to try it. Que sera sera.

If I'm being completely honest, the minor shortcomings with the beach and the food would probably merit rating Secrets Sanctuary as a 4.5 star resort rather than a 5, but it's closer to a 5 than a 4, so I'm going with a 5. It's really a spectacular resort, and if rest and relaxation is your thing, you'd be hard-pressed to do much better. We had an awesome experience, and we'd absolutely come back here.

Feel free to float any questions my way.

2 Thank sirtoasty
SecretsSanctuaryCC, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with others through Trip Advisor and for selecting our hotel and Secrets Brand. It is extremely important for us to offer unique and unforgettable experiences. We have taken your comments into consideration in order to continue to delight our future guests. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you on a future vacation.

Carlos A Del Pino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,197)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Having spent a week in Cap Cana, we definitively discovered what is the 'Secret' of the Santuary: Everything is just 'Excellente'!!

When my sister and I decided to take a vacation inthe Caribbeans, we mainly were looking for a resort that offered luxury, a room with an ocean view, a resort where we could find some peace and quiet to rest and recharge our batteries. While we haven't had the opportunity to stay in various resorts in the Caribbeans, we can honestly say that the Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana offered just what we were looking for and much more. Here, you are not just a regular guest, you are the resort #1 priority. The excellence of this resort lie on the wonderful staff who make your journey perfect. Your wishes are their command.

Room: Very spacious with a beautiful view on the ocean (we had the Junior Suite). The room is always kept very clean and the bed and linen are very comfortable. We even get housekeeping twice daily. While we personally were satisfied with the air conditionning, some may found it not efficient enough and a little noisy.

Food: There are 4 restaurants and a buffet that you can choose from on a daily basis including Asian, Italian, Steakhouse, and seafood. We even had a seafood fest one night which was absolutely incredible! We can honestly say that all restaurants serve high quality food and exceptional service. A special Thanks to Raul y Socrate (Casa Bella) y Bautista who provided us with an over the top service everytime!

Animation: The animation team and night entertainement were lots of fun. The entertainers were always in a great mood, ready to make sure that you are aware of the various activities taking place during the day without hassleling you. They really make this resort become alive!!! Alex, Miami, Willy Wonka and Gabriel, a special thanks to all of you for 'loving your job' so much and for making our journey so much fun!

Beach and watersports: The beach is beautiful as you would expect to found it in the caribbeans. However, you have to keep in mind that the beach in front of this resort is man made. The water is crystal blue but not translucide like you can find it in Varadero, Cuba for example. As far as watersports go, we must admit that we have found the choice a little limited and the location a little far from the main resort. We wish we would had access to Catamaran and\or sailboat.

Overall, what an experience it was! We would greatly recommend this resort to anyone who's looking for a peaceful vacation filled with pleasure!!!!

Many thanks to all the fantastic staff who work so hard to ensure guests are satisfied and go back home with the best vacation experience ever.

Las chicas Canadienses Isabelle y Martina

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank IsabelleSlight
Dear Guest

Thank you for the positive review. We are pleased you had a most enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed September 26, 2010

My husband and I went to Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana for a short anniversary trip. We had stayed at two other Secrets Resorts before and liked it so we felt good about choosing this one. The resort is about 15 min from the Punta Cana airport, so it is in a really convenient location. Just a note, it is cheaper to get a taxi at the airport than it is to make a reservation for a car to pick you up either through the resort or through Amstar. The hotel charged $55 to send a car for us and Amstar charged $45. We ended up paying $30 one-way by taking a taxi from the airport. There are a lot of taxi drivers looking to make some money, so we had a lot to choose from. I had read in some reviews that it's wise to verify the fare before getting in the car, so I did and it worked out. We had originally made a reservation through the hotel for a car to get us, but the car accidentally picked up other guests and forgot to come get us. The resort was very apologetic but it wasn't a big deal since we ended up saving $25 by taking a taxi.
The area of Cap Cana is beautiful. Even though there is a lot of construction going on because many resorts are being built, the manicured landscapes around the open spaces are gorgeous!
Since we got to the resort sometime before check-in, we decided to walk around and get something to eat. The grounds were beautiful. The view of the ocean was breathtaking. I believe that the resort has 4 pools. We saw 3 of them-one big one (main pool with activities), a really small one to the right and then a medium sized (quiet one with the water fall) to the left. My husband and I ate at Casa Bella restaurant for lunch-it was a buffet. The food was good and they had a variety of things to choose from. We also ate at the same place for breakfast everyday. They have a buffet for breakfast and an omelet station.
Since our room was still not ready for us after lunch, we took a walk to the castle which is a lot further from the main area of the resort. There is still some construction going on there as some of the previous reviews had stated, but it looks as though they are almost complete. We were also encouraged to go to the Marina since we still had time before our room was ready. There is a free shuttle that goes there (it is off the property). Although it was beautiful, it was a waste of time because anything that was there was closed and it was practically a ghost town. We could count the number of people we saw on one hand and they were just the workers. There are a lot of villas and condos and a lot of construction. It definitely looked like an up and coming place but for the more distant future.
Once our room was ready, we hopped on a golf cart (driven by the staff) and they took us to our room. The room looked just like it did online, it was spacious and the bathroom was very nice. The thing I noticed though when I walked in was that the seat cushions on the stand on the foot of the bed as well as on the sofa looked a little stained. It wasn't completely gross so I didn't say anything about it. We were supposed to get a room upgrade but no other rooms were available at the time so we just left it alone. One thing though is that our 'Ocean View" room did not have a view of the ocean-a little disappointed by that. It was more a "Garden View".
The main problem that we did have in the room was in the bathroom. The toilet would either not flush or it would run forever. It would easily clog because there was barely any water pressure. We also did not have hot water in the shower most of the time. We had to call concierge for a maintenance person all three nights that we stayed there. They did come quickly and fix our issues, but still, it was ridiculous that we had to call so many times. Also, there was this horrible sewer type smell that we experienced one night in the bathroom when the toilet kept running-gross. We had a similar toilet issue at the Casa Bella restaurant. So we were thinking that there plumbing maybe needed some adjusting-hopefully they will fix this soon.
We spent the most of our time at the main pool and a little by the medium pool. There was water volleyball everyday which my husband participated in. The staff by the pool (namely Miami and Willy Wonka-yes, that it what their name tags said) had a lot of energy and got people involved in the game.
We did go to the beach but did not really get into the water because the waves were a little rough and there were A LOT of rocks and pebbles as you begin to enter the water-that was a little disappointing since the water looked so nice.
We ate at all of the restaurants, the best I felt was the Wok restaurant. I had the orange chicken-it was so good. The only problem was that the service was very slow. Actually the Capriccio restaurant was also very good and they had someone sing and play the guitar-it was romantic and the food was delicious. My husband felt that his best meal was at The Marina restaurant where they had a 'Lobster Night' and a buffet and it was partially outdoors.
All in all, the resort was very nice and if they continue to make the necessary adjustments and improvements, we would definitely visit again.

1 Thank kez383
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience of the hotel and for staying with us. We will share with the rest of our staff your great comments as well as the areas of opportunities you have mentioned. We look forward to your next visit to our beautiful Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana!

dallas
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We just got back from this beautiful resort. We chose it for our 30th anniversary based on reviews and photos. We were looking at just relaxing and being together. This was exactly what we got in the most beautiful setting. When we arrived we were greeted with cold drinks and cold towels, then whisked away by golf cart for a tour and to bring us to our room which was upgraded to an ocean front suite. The room was spacious, clean. It was a little musty but I brought Fabreeze as i had read previous reviews and came prepared as we are in a tropical climate in paradise. The staff called several times during our stay to ask if everything was to our satisfaction. How could it not be. We did have one upset, the Jets lost on Monday night, but i really can't blame the resort for that, lol.

I understand a vacation is what you make it and everyone has a difference of opinion on what they are looking for. For us this was a true sanctuary. The food was wonderful, we have been to several all inclusive' s resorts including Excellence, and feel it was far superior. I cant say we had a bad meal. I will say our first lunch at the Blue Marlin, while the food was fabulous, the service was not as friendly as throughout the rest of the resort. I'm not sure what happened but the next day reversed my opinion and service was laughing and nice. I do have a suggestion for breakfast, I wish there was Egg's Benedict, or just more variety for breakfast. I had read the menu in the lobby for Casabella and was really looking forward to it, but then found it was only the buffet. All the staff go out of their way to help. The language barrier, If that is what you cal it, enhanced our trip as they tried hard in English, and we tried hard in Spanish. I would have to say they win the award as our conversations usually ended in laughter and we always got what was asked for. These wonderful people work and try so hard, i don't understand any negative reviews. We did order room service every morning before breakfast and they were always there in 10 minutes. Got to have my coffee.

Here's a tip if you go and play the love game, guys where shorts, trust me. We only used the paddle boats 1 afternoon, and decided it was too strenuous and conflicted with our nap time at the beach. When we first arrived we did get lost, but in our exploration we found this wonderful bar and infinity pool. It is on top of the fortress and we felt like it was our own as no one ever went there. It was truly beautiful.

We will be back. We had an incredible time. Thank you to all the staff including my new son Alex, we miss you lots.

2 Thank cdfusco
Dear Guest

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your wonderful comments of Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana and are delighted that we have exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you and your clients back soon.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Hola! I am a traveler who first went to Sanctuary in April 2010 and visited some other Punta Cana resorts as well. It was a very nice resort then, and now, after returning from a second stay Sept 9-17 my word is “INCREDIBLE”!! I am so impressed by the changes made at this resort, with biggest improvement being entertainment. There are activities all day, from yoga and fitness classes in the morning taught by professional guest instructors to the pool volleyball all day. Shell and bottle painting was fun. There was a manager versus guest volleyball tournament one afternoon. The guests won, and it was a good battle! Also food demos, Spanish lessons, aqua class. Despite the romantic vibe this resort has, there was also a lot of fun happening. Same for evening entertainment, shows, magicians, something happening every night.

The beach is very well kept and there are two additional beaches, each to the south and north of the resort’s beach. Secrets does not maintain the other beaches next door, as both are owned by other resorts (not built yet), but they make for good walking arenas (at the beach opposite water sports I found very big conch shells). The beach closer to the Marina has the water sports now offering water trampoline, kayaks, paddleboats, snorkel. Plus Scape 2 Cap Cana offering excursions of added cost. I kayaked one afternoon and it was very nice, with calm waters. Also I visited the Marina, free shuttle 5 min from resort. It was interesting. I went with a group of 3 and we enjoyed beautiful photo spots, search for sea shells and just walking around. It was cool to be there now, before the total completion of the development, and imagine what it will be like, with all the tourists and residents, in only a couple of years.

My room was jr. suite ocean view and totally stunning! Very close to the location of my room in April and I love it. I wake up to the sunrise over the ocean horizon and it’s gorgeous! The rooms have black out blinds, separate sitting area, tv with good channels, free Ethernet, coffee, tea and mini fridge stocked with the favorites. Beautiful bathroom where everything worked. Ladies I suggest you bring some conditioner from home. The shampoo/conditioner combo just didn’t condition my hair enough. Perfect walk in closet with safe that fits my 15” laptop. I wish I could take the closet home! Awesome room and very good housekeeping, making for a super comfortable stay. I love the Sundial at turn down to tell me all the activities and restaurant happenings for the next day.

Plenty of bars, top shelf liquor. Pool bar, Love Bar open early and then 2P.M. the Ocean Club opened. In the Love Bar opens at 9 A.M., I could sit in the afternoons and use the free wifi (many public spaces of the resort have wifi) while sipping wine and enjoying a light snack. Top shelf liquor at every bar, but I mainly stuck with wine. The Ocean Club has a gorgeous view from the infinity pool, deck and bar. Comfortable, yet posh bar and the bartenders are happy to create a new favorite cocktail or a crisp glass of chardonnay.

I love the food. Lots of options for the meat lover and vegetarian alike. The seafood was fresh and tasty everywhere I ordered it. My fav night was Dominican Night., maybe because the food was so authentic to the area or something. Very tasty. I enjoyed my vacation and a big part of that was the courtesy paid to me by the service staff at the restaurants. They are very attentive, always refilling whatever beverage is in front of me and ensuring each dining session is an exceptional experience. The food is very good, so many options. I loved the salmon at Steak House. Eating at the Blue Marlin is fantastic to see and feel the ocean breezes moving into shore. The only restaurant I did not make it to was Wok. My favorite was Capriccia (Italian rest) for dinner and you must order the gazpacho soup at Blue Marlin for lunch.
It was fantastic and I do not feel the resort, nor staff, could have done anything to make my personal experience better. Part of life is what you make of it, as is your vacation. Spending time scrutinizing a great experience to finally find the faults will not happen in this review. I traveled solo to the resort. Staff made me feel welcome, and paid attention to the details of my stay. Anytime I needed something the staff member at hand did an exceptional job assisting me. From the taxi ride to walking solo on the beach, never once did I feel unsafe. People were all courteous to me and I had a fun time practicing my Spanish with some staff members here and there. Thank you Carlos and the entertainment staff, and I also extend my thanks to the entire staff there. They work very hard, long hours and it is paying off, big time. Great resort, obviously improving all the time. This traveler looks forward to a third visit.

2 Thank heart_caribbean
SecretsSanctuaryCC, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, September 23, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience with others through Trip Advisor. It is extremely important for us to offer and provide personalized service and experiences. We have taken your comments into consideration in order to continue to delight our future guests. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you on a future vacation to our property!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Last september, my husband ans I spent 7 luxurious days at this resort. The resort is so enchanting, with it's colonial decor, the beautiful gardens and the water fountains. The restaurants are just great, the food is marvelous and the wine is of good value. The staff on the beach, at the pool or in the restaurants, are very courteous and friendly. The resort is secluded, if you want to have a very relaxing vacation, it's perfect, or if you want to have fun, you are in the wright spot. The place is so big, that you have to take a cart to get from one place to another. One little "hick" maid service (rooms) needs to improve, they sort of forget a lot, like towels, glasses. facecloths, coffee and the mini-bar, they often forget to fill. But forget room service, we had a tremendous and relaxing vacation, did I forget to mention there are no children, its adults only. It's gorgeous, we highly recommend this resort.

3 Thank nickie0
SecretsSanctuaryCC, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your wonderful comments of our property Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana and are delighted that we have exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future

Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 19, 2010

A friend and I just returned from a week at Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana, and I can hardly put into words how incredible our stay was. From the very beginning to the very end, it was quite simply an amazing adventure, an incredible resort and a paradise in every way. It's hard to fathom the negative reviews, as we encountered nothing of what's been negatively reviewed. The resort staff are kind and generous people who are genuinely interested in not only making sure you are taken care of, but also in welcoming you to their country. Most spoke very good English, and those that were still learning were quite interactive and interested in communicating with gestures and learning. We were, afterall, visiting their country. Had we wanted a 'westernized' vacation where everyone emulated our language and our customs, then we would have vacationed in the US or England. We wanted to experience a different culture, a different people and a different language. It was incredibly engaging and fun.

The resort itself is breathtaking... manicured and landscaped and well maintained. The gardeners and landscapers were working constantly the entire time we were there, and always said 'Hola' when we would walk by. The resort itself is a self contained little city, with cobblestone walkways and drives weaving within lush greenery and gardens, and romantically lit by night. All of the pools are picturesque and accessible and all offer different views of the sea, the beach and the grounds. The main pool sits on the ocean, is huge and clean with plenty of floating mats for everyone and a swim up bar staffed by funny and engaging bartenders. I had zero complaints the entire time we were there. We spent much of our time at the main pool and meeting the other couples that were relaxing and enjoying the time. We met and saw mostly couples and nearly everyone we saw was relaxing and having a great time.

I really have no idea where the negative reviews come from about the food and liquor. Firstly, there is brand name liquor at EVERY bar... not only is it there, but it's on the bar shelves in plain display, all you have to do is ask for it by name. Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker Red & Black, Chivas, Midori, Compari, Cuervo 1800, Malibu, Bacardi, Sky Vodka, Absolut (including Pepper and Citron) and the list goes on and on. The mixed drink and exotic cocktails listed on a classy menu with all of the ingredients right there. We ate at all of the restaurants and ordered room service 6 times, and had NO complaints! The Davey Crockett signature salad at the steakhouse was one of the best avacado/tomato and cheese salads that I've every had. Room service always came with a smile, a complete setup on your room table and a phone call soon afterwards to make sure everything was as ordered. It just could not have been any better.

The staff was one of the best parts of the whole trip. Everyone was so engaging and willing to teach you their language and learn yours, and was quite the experience. The people were genuine. A special thanks to Juan Bautista, our waiter at Capprecio and again later at the Blue Marlin.. Juan, your service and outgoing personality were one of the highlights of our stay. Thank you for the great conversations and the wonderful service.... you are an asset to Sercrets and Marcy and I look forward to seeing you again soon. And another special thanks to Manuel and Domingo, the resort dinner singers that will wow you at your table. Manuel is simply an undiscovered recording artist... we were amazed at how talented a singer he is.

Carlos, Marcy and I would like to thank you for all of the hospitality and professionalism that you and your staff showed. Thank you for the upgrade to the Honeymoon Junior Suite, where the view was beyond words. You have a great resort, and more importantly a great staff. We will never forget our visit to Sercrets. Thanks to all of you for welcoming us to your country. We will be back soon! - Michael & Marcy

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank Hook_Em_Nation
Dear Guest

Thank you for the positive review. We are pleased you had a most enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon at Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana!