I'm just returning from a 5-day stay at Secrets Sanctuary. I booked this package through Luxury Link and was scheduled to stay at the Golden Bear Resort, but switched to Secrets Sanctuary less than one week before our trip. While I never made it to Golden Bear, I can't imagine it being able to trump Secrets Sanctuary.
It was pretty late (around 10pm) when we arrived and I was pleasantly surprised to find The Steakhouse still open for dinner. After a bite, stopped by Love Piano Bar before retreating to our room for the night. We were originally placed in a ocean-view junior suite, but after a call from our Luxury Link customer concierge the next morning, we were upgraded to a fabulous 1,300 sq.ft. honeymoon suite in the Fortress. We had a private pool and sun deck and an absolutely gorgeous view. Front desk staff should be a bit more helpful and more knowledgeable of what amenities are available.
In the light of day we were really able to take in the beauty of the Spanish Colonial style resort and it's meticulous landscaping. The resort was maybe 30% full, so we often felt like we had the place to ourselves and never had trouble finding lounge chairs near the main pool. The beach is not very large and despite the efforts of the staff, gets speckled with seaweed every few minutes.
Breakfast at Casa Bella was delicious. We ordered a la carte one morning, but opted for the expansive "continental breakfast buffet" for the remainder of our stay. We had lunch at the Blue Marlin most afternoons and enjoyed the food for the most part. Although my boyfriend had the red snapper for lunch one day and it was overcooked and quite tough. The restaurant offers a nice breeze while sitting on the deck and provides a welcomed break from the sun. Our dinner at the Wok was, by far the most enjoyable. We ordered from the menu, as there are only two teppanyaki tables. Wok was only open two nights during our stay, so be sure to check the hours when you arrive and plan accordingly.
The spa is currently located in a converted suite within the Fortress. It is too small and not what I consider full service. I had a manicure and the portable manicure desk fell short of my expectations. Also, there was not much to choose from in the nail polish department (color and quality). I could've done my honey's pedicure because they used the same portable foot spa that I have at home. Even though both technicians were nice, I would suggest waiting until the new spa location is opened next to the Wok restaurant.
Water in the shower took a while to heat up, and drainage was a bit of an issue. On one evening we didn't have any hot water and had to call maintenance.They didn't get it fixed until the next morning which was bit of an inconvenience.
Service all around was good. We found all the staff to be pleasant and engaging, but Marlene was definitely our favorite.
Construction is going on nearby, but we never heard a peep.
I would definitely return to Secrets Sanctuary - maybe with a group next time.
Side note: Secrets Sanctuary is adults only and I did encounter a female guest going topless at the main pool.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Its inspired design combines the charm of a Spanish colonial village with the laid-back sensuality of the Caribbean and the stylish sophistication of streamlined, modern design accents. Bougainvillea-lined pathways lead guests through the resort grounds to 176 expansive, private suites housed in replicas of a tower, colonial buildings and fortress. Within the resort are 5 exceptional restaurants, 5 bars, an elegant casino, a half-mile private beach with sugar-white sand, and meeting space for up to 500 guests, while just minutes away lie all the world-class recreational appeals of Cap Cana. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Resort