“Exceeded our expections!”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #38 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Our family has gone to Punta Cana every year for the past ten years. Friends join us each year and this year we were a group of 13. We have stayed in many beautiful resorts in Punta Cana. This was our first stay at Sanctuary and our first stay at Cap Cana. Past years have always been at Bavaro Beach. Our vacation this January is our all time favorite. Everything at Sanctuary was amazing from the minute we walked up to the reception desk and received a friendly greeting from Juan and were served a welcome cocktail. Sanctuary's grounds and rooms are beautiful! The staff is friendly and go out of their way to please, every meal was delicious. I loved the "Blue Marlin Restaurant". I wish I could have stayed longer just to try every entrée on the menu! My grandsons (ages 9 and 11) participated in the activities in the kids club. They loved the ping pong, dart competitions and beach volley ball. We did water aerobics, spanish lessons, rum tasting and lots of beach and pool time. It is the type of resort that you can be busy if you choose or just relax. We will definitely be back, I can't wait to go again next year!

2  Thank CharlSal
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions.

I feel proud and grateful to hear that your experience with us left a memorable impression in you.

At Sanctuary Cap Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to hear that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

There are newer reviews for Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed for New Years week with my family and loved this property. The gardens and pools are beautiful and it is huge so never feels crowded. The food at all the restaurants was also very good. We stayed at a beachfront junior suite. The room was very spacious but a little dated. I had read in reviews about problems with things not working but everything worked in our room. The only bad thing about this resort is the service. Don't get me wrong, everyone is super nice and helpful but you get the feeling the personnel are not very well trained. We kept getting different responses to questions and every time we went to the restaurants it became a game for us to see what would happen, would they forget our order, or bring us the wrong order, etc… So if you can have a relaxed attitude on the kind of service you get try out this resort, however, if this will annoy you, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I went with my daughter from January 20 through January 27th, 2014. We were in the Monarch Oceanfront rooms, with our own private walkway to the ocean. We had two huge decks with floor to ceiling windows, steps away from a private beach facing magnificent turquoise water. We travel frequently, and I can honestly say this was the closest to the ocean we have ever been. We were so close, we heard the waves through the doors even when they were closed.
We had read some negative reviews before we arrived so let me dispel the myths. One, we asked for and were given the room we requested. Two, there were no closed restaurants at night. There were no long waits for the restaurants. The bars were all open. The service was impeccable. The staff was eager to please. The drinks were plentiful and served everywhere, down at the beach, at the pool, and even brought to our rooms. Every request was met eagerly, the room service is 24 hours and arrives within 30 minutes. There is fun entertainment at night. There are no sand fleas on the beach. There is a large area to enter the beach where there are no rocks (also no rocks on the private beach in front of our beachfront room). For all inclusive the food was good and there was variety. They even handled our specific food requests at the hibachi table. We didn't wait at all to sign the check after eating, which seemed to be a major complaint in the recent reviews. The mini bar was well stocked and wine and champagne was easily delivered to our room with all meals and snacks. Liquor was available at every restaurant for no additional charge. The golf carts to take you to restaurants (if you didn't want to walk) were there before we even hung up the phone-so don't call for one until you are absolutely ready to leave your room. The toiletries in the bathroom were top notch. Again, I cannot say enough about this gorgeous property, there honestly is no better ocean view or more perfect weather than we experienced at Sanctuary. If I had to find any negatives, and I would be hard pressed to find any, it would be the lack of fluent English spoken by everyone you encounter. However, they are quick to put someone else on the phone if you require someone with a greater command of the English language. We also had massages and then the use of the spa facilities which we enjoyed as well. Again, this is a large property with many different room types that would appeal to a variety of tastes so if you are not happy with the room that you are offered, they will drive you around to other rooms until you are satisfied. We cannot speak first hand to that, because who wouldn't be happy with an oceanfront villa!

Do your homework, know what room you want, and confirm before you arrive. Upgrades are available and mostly we saw that they were given out to honeymoon couples and people celebrating special occasions WITHOUT EVEN HAVING TO ASK FOR THEM!

Again, we travel all the time, and usually not on an all-inclusive plan, but after our experience at Sanctuary, we would come back here in a heartbeat! Our every wish was met-the villa was huge, with a living room, bedroom, bathroom with tub and fresh flowers, and you will not find a more beautiful location anywhere.

My advice would be relax and enjoy Nirvana!

Room Tip: There seems to be some confusion with how far this property is from beginning to end. I disagree and...
5  Thank weatherwatcher2010

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions.

I feel proud and grateful to hear that your experience with us left a memorable impression on you and you.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

My husband and I just returned a few weeks ago from another great experience at this beautiful resort, a true “Sanctuary”. From the moment we stepped out of the taxi, we were greeted like family and made to feel that we were back home!

The property is surrounded by immaculate manicured gardens and an array of vegetation that encircles the buildings and villas. We very much enjoyed “walkabouts”, taking in such beautiful greenery with endless walkways to stroll and take in the natural setting surrounding us…a true “sanctuary” and plenty of stillness and a peaceful atmosphere. Throughout the resort, you could find colonial Spanish, a touch of ancient Rome, and a hint of modern European flare. The landscape designers filled in all void spaces perfectly. Truly impressive! Very much a hidden gem!

Sanctuary is comprised of the most amazing team of friendly staff. From Metz at the reception desk with his huge inviting smile, to members of the management team that welcomed us back with open arms (Enrique, Raul, Hector).

We enjoyed some afternoons lounging at the main pool (always finding a couple of loungers with umbrella even at 12 noon). Received excellent poolside bar-service (shout-out to Martha and Eddy for the great service). I witness staff stripping towels off abandoned loungers periodically throughout the day to free up these loungers for other guests…how refreshing to see this being done…kudos to management for ensuring all guests enjoy the pool areas.

We enjoyed great lunches at Casa Bella, the buffet provided a great selection, good food with an ocean view under the pergola.

We also enjoyed amazing dinners as well. One evening, Hector escorted us to the Blue Marlin, ensuring we had a table by the water, looking out at the beautiful calm water and colors. Soon after, Raul (he manages the restaurants) was checking in to make sure everything was okay. The respect and courtesy of the staff is over-the-top impressive. Raul would always greet me as “My Lady”…with his contagious huge smiles! I miss you Raul.

Another evening we had a reservation at the Wok at a hibachi table. We met some very nice people, lots of laughs, and the chef with his many tricks as he cooked was very entertaining. Once again, Raul checked in several times to make sure we and the other guests were enjoying our meal and ourselves. I saw Raul pitching in to help pick up plates and supporting the servers to make sure all flowed smoothly.

Then there’s the Love Bar, where we enjoyed top-shelf drinks. OMG they had Crown Royal too. They didn’t have it the first time we were there and when we saw the bottle on the shelf we chuckled!!! Bernardo is the ‘go-to-bartender’ at the Love Bar. To my surprise he yelled out my name when he saw me again – man did he make me feel special. The staff here do just that…they make you feel special, so that guests walk away with having had the best vacation!!!

The Love Bar courtyard continues to be our favorite spot at this resort! You will see it upon arrival, as it is located near reception. On the final night there, as we sat there enjoying a drink we saw a few tables set up for dinner in the courtyard…and thought how romantic it would be to sit at one of those tables & enjoy a ‘Steakhouse’ dinner outdoors. Enrique passed by, greeted us with a huge smile, and he made it happen in the blink of an eye! I would say this was our most romantic evening. Raul once again was seen walking around ensuring all guests and us had everything we needed.

Kudos to all the servers for a great job…I wish I could remember all your names and acknowledge you individually in this review. All your smiles were warm and we enjoyed you ALL!

Rest assured that this ”sanctuary” is a very special place, and truly a hidden gem! You definitely owe it to yourself to check it out; you won’t be disappointed. It never felt crowded, and located 10-15 minutes from the airport within the gated community of Cap Cana.

My husband captured some amazing shots of the property this time and during our first stay last year. You can view his photos for “Cap Cana” as well as “Sanctuary Cap Cana” on his Flickr site at:

To sum it up…would we go back for a third time? Most definitely! We really hope to return as soon as we can, we miss you all. Thanks to everyone at SCC for such a warm welcome back,

Blessings to all of you,
Linda & Murray

3  Thank OntarioCasey

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed at Sanctuary from January 20, 2014 - January 27, 2014. We had high hopes for this resort, given that it was ranked #11 in Punta Cana with mostly great reviews. However, many of the negative comments from other users are spot on.

We have stayed at 2 other resorts in Punta Cana within the past year, they were both ranked lower than Sanctuary and surprisingly have enjoyed them much more.

RESORT IN GENERAL:
It is a small cozy resort with only 176 rooms, which was great as this promoted a quiet and relaxing atmosphere (which was what we were looking for). No loud music, no parties, no obnoxious party people. Everything was within walking distance, unless you have one of the castle suites which is pretty far away. The beach was very very small, rocky, and a lot of seaweed everywhere. The pool was dirty at times.

OUR ROOM:
We booked a Junior Suite Ocean View, but as many of the other reviews warned, when we arrived and checked in, they told us we have been "upgraded" to a bigger and better villa. Initially we were excited, but this sentiment died down as soon as we entered the room. We immediately saw an ANT infestation on our bathroom floors and countertop. The toilet did not flush properly and we had to call someone to fix it. The furniture was dated. Cushions on the couches seemed used and soiled. There was a hole on our roof which we only noticed when it rained because water would start to leak in. Overall, the general cleanliness was not up to our expectations. We are generally a couple that don't like to complain and make the best out of the trip since we ARE on vacation, but we were NOT impressed by the room at all.

FOOD:
There was not a lot of variety at the Buffet (which is open for breakfast & lunch). We were getting kind of sick of it mid-way through our vacation. They had a cheese and salad bar in the middle and bugs were flying all around it.

Blue Marlin (open for lunch & dinner) was pretty good and had a beautiful view of the ocean. I recommend getting the skirt steak or the surf and turf (only available for dinner).

Steakhouse was good too, can't really complain much here for a regular steak that you get. We liked the desert menu here and would always come here after our meal to order just that.

Cappricio Italian Restaurant, the food was salty and just generally not good. It's not worth coming here.

The Wok Chinese restaurant. We didn't bother going here because these resorts always seem to miss the mark.

SERVICE:
You would expect to have a more helpful and friendlier staff given that this resort was rated as a luxury resort, but that was not the case. The staff did not smile, all the hostesses at the restaurants were rude, mean and gave attitude to guests, we did not feel welcomed. You would get a bill with a balance of $0 that you would have to sign all the time, this was a way for them to get you to tip.

Overall, we suggest not booking this resort, you can definitely find a better one in Punta Cana for the price you would be paying.

7  Thank sjlimx2

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and knows better your preferences. Your notes have been sending to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I recently booked a 3 night getaway with my sister at Sanctuary Cap Cana. We booked a Beachfront Premium Suite....I called to confirm our reservation 7 days before our arrival, and was sent an email confirmation 5 days before our arrival. We checked in, paid up, and then we were asked to come sit with the manager at a seating area away from the front desk. He told us there was a "situation" at the hotel, they were overbooked, and we needed to spend our first night at their sister property 5 minutes away. Um, no. If we were to be there a week I'd reluctantly agree, but I wasn't going to allow this to impact my weekend trip. The manager offered a free night (you already had me pay! Why didn't you bring this up while we were checking in?!). Bottom line, shady. There are multiple travelers on Tripadvisor who had a similar experience. I was polite but firm that this was not ok, and after being sent to lunch, the manager was magically able to give us the Beachfront Suite.

The property is perfection. The housekeeping staff and waiters/hostesses were lovely.... Our room was great, floor to ceiling windows, clean, huge bathroom, super comfy bed.... The pools were gorgeous....we loved the hammocks at the infinity pool. Delicious pool drinks.

Good restaurant variety.....My favorite meals were breakfast & lunch outside at Casa Bella, just gorgeous. .the buffet at Casa Bella was great, good variety, great service. Beautiful fruit, fun tropical fruit breakfast smoothies made to order, huge variety of breakfast foods. The lunch buffet and grill was great as well. Capriccio's Italian food was ok, Wok was yummy but not mind blowing, Blue Marlin was our favorite. We enjoyed Caribbean lobster outside at Blue Marlin, with the waves lapping underneath the dock....heaven.

We had a wonderful time...... I just was left with a really bad taste in my mouth regarding the reservation and the hotel's dishonesty. I will likely not return, I'm sure there are similar resorts in Punta Cana that don't operate this way.

1  Thank kimvmd

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As regards the situation presented by the overbooking during the stay that you had reserved, We ask your understanding for these situations occur in every hotel around the world, although it is not a daily thing at ours, I personally assure you that we are committed to achieving our complete customer satisfaction. Know that we are acting upon your feedback in order to improve and prevent similar inconveniences in the future to come.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I had my doubts when I booked this resort because of the mixed reviews on all the travel sites, but the average ratings were high, so I took the gamble. Boy do I wish I had followed my instincts! This place is way overpriced and nowhere near a luxury resort! It has potential to be amazing, but falls way, way short. The one positive I can give it, is that the grounds are imacculate and the rooms are clean. The housekeepers do an outstanding job. Other than that, the furniture is shabby and run down. The coffee and side tables in our room were delaminating, and the couch cushions and bedspread were old, worn, and faded. The service is unfriendly and unhelpful, whether you tip them or not. The beach is small and rocky. The pools are nice, but there were only ever kids in the main pool, and there was never anyone at the pool bar. The place is just plain sad and boring. The very worst part was the food! Our first meal was at the Italian restaurant. Our dishes tasted like they had been in a freezer for 6 months and then zapped in a microwave.... and it just went downhill from there. The breakfast buffet was ok until I found an inch long piece of wire in my sausage, which was also raw! Needless to say, we were ready to leave as soon as we got there. The only ray of light was when we walked off the grounds to Juanillo Beach. The beach is gorgeous and there are free loungers to use, and there is a cute little restaurant and bar right on the beach, with great music playing. Our moods were instantly brightened when we found it. Overall, I have never been so depressed while on vacation in paradise. I want my money back....

5  Thank MDHarizzle

Dear Guest,

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and know better your preferences. Your notes have been send to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Finally, on a positive note: I’m glad to hear about your satisfaction with our property and grounds. I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!