“What a Wonderful Time”

Ranked #41 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Bay Shore, New York
“What a Wonderful Time”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

It's a resort for relaxation and and being at peace. Not a party resort. They did play music at night by the lobby but during the day it's peaceful. I'm Spanish so I clicked right away with the workers there. There's 5 restaurants but the food was eh, except the steakhouse and the hibachi grill. Food was great. The bar by the pool closes by 6 pm which was a bit of a let down. They have excursions you can sign up for which is good to do to get away from the resort. I recommend the buggies and outback safari with your tour guide as Ruddy. The building could of used some colorful lights at night to give it a more tropical feel but without it it feels a bit dark. Pool I felt should of been heated or at least the Jacuzzi but they're not. Overall though it was a wonderful experience. I would return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments and it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our facilities, the walk through our grounds and corridors and the service provided by our staff.

Thank you for preferring Our Sanctuary!

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Ignacio Perez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,219)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I had pretty low expectations based on some of the most recent reviews, so here is what I observed:

Property: Gorgeous. Very well maintaned.

Room: Really nice. We had an Ocean View room on the first floor (make sure you try to get a room on the 2nd floor to get a really view) and it was a huge suite and totally beautiful.

Food: Subpar, but edible. I liked the ceviche at Blue Marlin, everything else was just okay.

Service: Everyone was very nice as helpful. We never had any problems with delays in food arriving or people ignoring us. Everything was very prompt.

Beach: So here is where I agree with a lot of negative comments. The beach is crappy, plain and simple. It is small and crowded with a ton of rocks and the water is not very clean/clear. In addition, there is competition for beach chairs and there just aren't enough for all the people that stay there. It makes things confusing and weird.

However, there is a really nice public beach about a 5-7 minute walk from the main lobby. The water is beautiful and it's way less crowded. Just grab some towels and hang out there.

All in all, it was pretty nice but I wouldn't recommend going there if you have other options to explore.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elemenopi
Baltimore
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I rarely leave bad reviews but I am truly disappointed after my trip. When my friend and I got to the hotel, we found out that our room was not available because they "overbooked." They moved us to a sister hotel which was 10 min away from sanctuary. We had to go through two check-ins and check outs. The next day we left the first hotel by noon, and waited to check into the sanctuary the next day. We wasted almost two days. The manager offered us a refund for one night and told us to call expedia for a refund. Unfortunately, the hotel charged our credit cards so expedia couldn't give us the refund. I called the hotel. First, they put me on 10 min international hold and then they told me to email them my credit card numbers so they can refund the money. It's not the way it should be done. I'm tired of them!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank EmieBaltimore
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My boyfriend planned a surprise vacation and we stayed here in October 2013. Although the grounds were very nice and the rooms were immaculate, the service and the food was a big let down. I have always heard that Punta Cana is amazing, but this was a sub-standard vacation. The food was mediocre, the same thing everyday, and very small portions unless you went to the buffet. Since coming home, I have tried to contact the management by writing an email, of which no one responded. I also placed a phone call to the hotel and no one has returned my call yet. I'm sure for some it is nice, but an all-inclusive with poor food quality is disheartening, especially when we don't drink and we don't eat beef or pork. We had no idea that we would have to pay extra for lobster and the fish and chicken selections would be so limited. I'm still very disappointed and frustrated that no one will return any correspondences.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We went with a group of 10 friends to the Sanctuary Cap Cana for 5 days in early January as a birthday celebration in honor of our 30th birthdays... hence, the "Dirty Thirty" trip.

We loved Marta and Margarita, our poolside servers. They always kept our drinks refilled-- by the first day, they knew our orders and brought us the next drink before we even knew we needed one! We also really liked Carlos and Joanna at the Ocean Bar on the top of the Fortress.

Rocky and James Bond of the activities crew were excellente! We went on a bike ride with Rocky one morning, and my friend's bike chain broke on the trail. Rocky quickly switched bikes with him and Rocky WALKED (wow!) the rest of the tour. I would highly recommend participation in the activities!

Gus, a customer service manager, was also very helpful. Two (they are twins) of our party actually celebrated their birthday on the trip. Gus organized a birthday room at the buffet Dominican night dinner with balloons, a cake, and champagne. Totally unexpected--Gus and Edy, our waiter, really made the twins feel special.

The ocean floor is a bit rocky in some parts, so it took one or two trips to the beach (and a few cuts on the feet) to realize that entry to the water is only available in certain areas. The actual view is beautiful, and there were always enough chairs at the pool or by the ocean for our large group.

The food was pretty good-- my husband and I are pescatarians, so finding food is sometimes tricky. We were never hungry, but sometimes language was a barrier. For example, I ordered a cobb salad with no meat, and I got a ceasar salad instead. It seems that I always had trouble when I tried to alter what was on the menu. My tip: order what is on the menu.

Overall, great trip at a beautiful resort.

Room Tip: We were in the Fortress-- not easy to navigate in the dark, also a lot of stairs, but very beautiful...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MissyBalla
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 18, 2014

In June 2013 we planned a family vacation (7 adults and 2 children) for New Year's Eve. We chose Sanctuary Cap Cana based on the reviews. Property is beautiful - definitely not a 5-Star property but perhaps a 3-Star. First, all the pool waters are very cold. Hot tub water is the same temperature as the pool water - COLD. 4 pools - main pool had a bar but good luck getting a drink. Small beach area - glass in sand, many of the reclining chairs were broken. There was a lot of coral in the water except for a small area to the right where you could walk in and not get hurt and no warning signs were posted to that fact. I twisted my foot on a piece of coral and cut my toe. I asked for a band-aid and was told I would have to see the doctor ($130 just to be seen). Restaurants were poor except the steak house was fair. Casabella (buffet) there were flies in the fruit and it seemed generally unsanitary. From our party of 9, 7 came down with stomach ailments. Public bathrooms were not very clean.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank pepin46
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to air your concerns regarding after having stayed at our Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very concerned to learn that your stay with us was not up to what you expected as well as to know that your party became sick during your stay, hope that all of you have fully recovered; since the health and well being of our guest's are our top priority.

Nevertheless I would like to mention that have contracts with several internationally organized food audit companies that periodical audits of all our Food and Beverage areas. These companies check to ensure the correct food handling procedures are occurring and also verifying the water supply in all areas. I consider important to mention that carefully selected products compose our gastronomical supply, taking into consideration the diversity of clients who visit our hotel. However, we are sorry that our food did not meet your expectations.

My apologies for any inconvenience you may have faced and you may rest assured that your observations have been addressed and discussed with my Managing Team in order to fine-tune with the operation.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Starting from the name Sanctuary fit like a glove ! This resort it's amazing great employees great family warm place to rest and have fun at the same time , the supervisor of the from desk "Metz was very helpfull accomodating our entire family making this trips memorable for us our rooms breathtaking
Sanctuary have A + in my book.

Room Tip: When they say ocean view it's ocean view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Luiggy L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

We look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 110 in Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,232 reviews

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!