“Third visit this year”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #37 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I will be returning to the Sanctuary for our third visit this year in two weeks. We love it there.its not just the great rooms and food but more about how you are treated. You feel like family when you are there and the entire staff works to make sure your every need is taken care of. Hector, Enrique, Carlos, and everyone will work to make sure they meet your every expectation. I can' t wait to get back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kent T
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

I would like to thank you for being assiduous guests and for selecting us one more time as the perfect place to host your Holidays.

I feel greatly proud with the fact that during your several stays at Sanctuary we have fulfilled your expectations and created beautiful memories.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back, and you can be sure that we will never cease in our efforts to constantly improve the quality of services provided.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I have booked our 3th trip with in 10 months to The Sanctuary, we started going March 2013, then again August 2013, January 2014 will make our 3th trip, now that saids we love this slice of Heaven! We are so relaxed the whole week and that saids a lot about all the people that make that happen! We can't wait to see Hector, Enrique, Carlos, Junior, Bernardo and to just lay at that beautiful beach. I must get the Skirt Steak and tres laches which is to DIE for, and the chowder at the Blue Marlin...oh so good!! If you are looking for a place to have a wonder vacation this is the place! It's quite, peaceful and beautiful!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debra T

Reviewed January 14, 2014

How can I start, this is my second time to the Paradise, after so long people like Enrique and Raul recognized us, how is that to start! Looks like they new we were there before and upgraded us to a Royalty Villa! This was larger than my house! Villa was 2047, even though it is a walk away from the beach it was simply spectacular. The restaurants specially the Blue Marlin was the best of all. Raul provided great genuine service.Our maid Juana was fabulous. All in all it was better than last time. The hotel need a little TLC but it is like no other in the Caribbean.

Also we want to thank Hector for his attention to details. Enrique needs a raise he is second to none.

Thanks again to all at Sanctuary.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade or even pay a bit more for the Royalty Villas.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 13, 2014

My wife and I, along with 8 friends, had an amazing time at this resort. The employees really went out of their way to accommodate our large group - and did so with a smile. Huge shout out to Raul. Raul set up a beautiful dinner for our group on Dominican Night for two members of our group whose birthday fell on our last night at the resort. We had a private room, balloons, and a personalized cake (also great waiter service by Eddi). We never once had an issue with sitting our large group at any of the restaurants and never had to wait. As this was my biggest concern before booking, I am extremely impressed with the service.
Activities directors James Bond and Rocky Balboa were also excellent. James Bond got us involved at the pool, and we went on a fun bike ride with Rocky. Also enjoyed Simon's cigar tasting and Eddi's rum tasting. The resort should expand their roles to allow them to set up more diverse activities and have multiple activities at different locations.
We had no problem with pool side drink and food service. Marta, Margarita, Carlos and Junior were awesome. Not only were they very responsive and helpful, but they actually made our trip more fun by sharing with us their great personalities.
The food was very good. We enjoyed all of the restaurants that we ate at. The food on the buffets were actually quite delicious, but the presentation of the buffet could be improved by setting it up in a larger space and adding sneeze guards over the uncovered plates of food.
As far as improvements for the resort, the Fortress needs to be better lit, especially at night. Certain areas were almost completely dark, making it dangerous to walk. Our room was also very dark by our bed, making it impossible to read in bed (the beds themselves, however, were very comfortable). The resort should get rid of their non all-inclusive option, thereby getting rid of signing for drinks and food. While this was not as annoying as I thought it would be, signing for all inclusive, to me, seems unnecessary. Also, there was some language difficulties as the staff (especially the front desk and the people answering concierge, housekeeping, room service and front desk) did not speak fluent English. We also had a different shower product brands each day, which was unusual and again an easy fix for the management.
Lastly, although the drinks were very tasty, I was not impressed by the quality of the liquor and beer at the bars. The liquor selection was not top shelf and none of the bars had high quality liquor or whiskey. There was also no liquor in the rooms and no variety in the beer in the mini-fridge, which was quite disappointing, especially since there was not that much going on at the resort after dinner, and our large group often wanted to hang out privately in one of the rooms.
Overall, we had a fantastic time. I would recommend this resort to others, especially those going in a group.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank privner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

Reviewed January 13, 2014

So last year we went to Majestic Colonial Cap Cana. Trip Advisor rated it at 4.5 stars.

We had a REALLY good time. This time we wanted to try another resort.. Sanctuary Cap Cana, another resort rated 4.5 stars by Trip Advisor...

WOW what a difference in how these two properties just do NOT compare.

When we were checking in at Majestic we were led into an air conditioned room, offered drinks, food, were seated on couches and someone checked us in.

At Sanctuary we were waiting in line in un-airconditioned building for maybe 20 minutes.

The takeaways:
1. If you get the all-inclusive, like we did, (why else go to Dominican) you will have to wait everywhere to sign a bill for $0. This gets REALLY frustrating REALLY fast. Every restaurant you have to sit tehre and wait for a $0 bill to sign. Everytime you get a drink you have to wait for $0 bill to sign. This waiting becomes really annoying.

2. The waiters at all restaurants are on extreme island time. At the Blue Marlin restaurant we waited more than an hour for our appetizer to come out, and another 45 minutes after that for our main dishes. Same thing at the steak house -- my suggesstion get to these restaurants before you are hungry, and expect the food to come AT LEAST 1 hour after you order.

3. Granted the island time, the saving grace was that the food at their Italian restaurant, and the hibachi restaurant was really good. That is the only saving grace.

4. Just FYI, the beach is small at this resort and if you want a cabana we were out there by 7am and 4/6 cabanas already had a towel or sunscreen or something else on them showing that they were "reserved" even though no one was out there until 9am or 10am. The beach chairs were available until maybe 9am fyi.

5. Also our room was connected to another room, though the door was closed, we heard everything that the guests next to us were doing. The first night a couple started screaming at each other at 9am, and the wife kept screaming YOU'RE NOT LISTENING TO ME.. unless the guy was deaf I'm sure he at least heard her, because we definitely did. The rooms were not bad otherwise, but hearing our neighbors was definitely a sour note. When you check in, make sure your room is not connected to another room is the takeaway.

6. There is only one buffet and it's not 24/7. Though room service is 24/7 -- but again with island time expect the food to be delivered at least 2 hours after you order it. Our breakfast that we ordered the day before for 10am, was delivered at 10:45am. FYI.

Overall, I'm not sure how this place is 4.5 stars. I think the people who've rated must not have been to bigger resorts like Majestic which was just awesome.

We definitely will not come back here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nazar b
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for having taken the time to write your concerns after having stayed with us.

Exceeding the expectation of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this, it is necessary to provide good service and attitude. I will be attentive to the behaviour of our staff so as to avoid situations that lead us from the goal.

I am very concerned to learn that your stay with us was not up to what you expected. Nevertheless my staff always tries to fulfil all our guests needs. If a problem is reported, we do our best to solve it on location in the best manner for all parts.

If some of my staff did not meet your expectations on solving problem, I truly apology and correcting actions already have been taken. However, in general we have a high percentage of satisfaction from our guests on food quality. Still do we understand that the taste differed from each and every person.

Your comments on improvement areas have been shared with my managing team and it will be part of our daily work.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We went to Sanctuary Cap Cana having purchased a 4-night deal from Living Social. It was a horrible experience and I hope others manage to avoid this and have a great vacation.

From the moment we arrived at Sanctuary Cap Cana it proved to be very poor quality. I'm honestly confused by any positive reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor. I checked the reviews on here before booking and fell for the positive reviews.

The facilities are all falling apart. We tried to stick it out and upgraded to a different room which took three hours of them saying it would just be another 30 mins, but the new room was dirty and broken as well and still didn't help improve the rest of the resort. There were so many things wrong it's hard to encapsulate, but to just name a few... the chair on the patio was broken, the alarm clock/radio next to the bed had a broken plug with wires exposed (which they just patched with tape), the pillows had dirty fiber filling coming out of them, the beach is hardly a beach - it's small and just dirty and full of seaweed and rocks, the food was barely edible, and the mood of the place is just sad. The hotel was probably 10% full and the few people who were there looked like they felt as trapped as we did.

There was only one small space in the entire hotel with wifi so we had to sit there for hours while getting eaten by mosquitos to find another hotel and book it so we could leave the Sanctuary. We stayed at Sanctuary for just one night and I wrote asking for our money back and they refunded only what we paid them while we were there - for the room upgrade and for some phone calls to airlines to see if we should just fly home. I asked Living Social for our money back and of course they said no. Then we spent months going back and forth with Sanctuary and still don't have our money back. So we are out over $1000 for the nights we didn't even stay at the hotel. Living Social paid the hotel and the hotel has not reimbursed us.

I never write reviews, but I really want people checking this place out to pause before booking. The hotel is not offering the services, facilities, or quality as advertised and they don't refund your money when you've had to move on to another hotel to save your vacation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LasFamily180

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to air your concerns regarding your recent stay at our Sanctuary Cap Cana.

Is saddens me to learn about the situation related with your arrival. I deeply regret that we could not fulfil your expectations with some of our services. You can rest assure that your observation were taken with the utmost consideration and I discussed the issues with the corresponding departments in order to fine tune with the operation.

Once more thank you for your constructive criticism as it is the best way to detect rooms for improvements and can therefore take immediate actions.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

After reading some of the mixed reviews of this resort we were not sure what to expect but our experience from January 7 - 11, 2014 could not have been better. This is a fairly large property with less than 200 rooms, so it has a very private feel to it. The grounds are immaculate and very diverse - it is really pleasant to walk around. We never had the sense of anything being crowded and were always able to find room at any of the outdoor venues. The staff were uniformly accommodating and very pleasant. This is a resort for people who want to relax - if you want a lot of action, this is probably not a good choice - but it was perfect for us. There are a number of options for brief excursions and we had a very nice golfing experience. We enjoyed the restaurants and the outdoor barbeque was a very nice opportunity to meet other guestws. The food was very good and the options adequate given the size of the resort. Service was very prompt but did not feel rushed. We had no problem with signing for the food - it was no inconvenience. We were upgraded to a two-story ocean front suite in the Fortress which was wonderful. For us, this location was perfect. Even if you are not staying in this building, you should go to the roof top for the view and the bar (Carlos is terrific!). We did meet others who had some issues with their rooms and they were promptly relocated. If you have concerns, just contact the management and they will do whatever they can to address the issues. In terms of the future of the property, they will be upgrading the rooms and adding additional accommodations and restaurants. We were told that the property will remain open during construction.
Again, we highly recommend the Sanctuary. It was a wonderful vacation and we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: There is a wide variety of rooms and it is worthwhile to understand the options and how they fit wit...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank beb202

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments and it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our facilities, the walk through our grounds and corridors and the service provided by our staff.

Thank you for preferring Our Sanctuary!

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!