I normally do not write reviews, but the staff and service at The Sanctuary Cap Cana deserve recognition. We were there for five nights, May 1 - 6, our first time and were extremely impressed. We had read numerous reviews and would have to agree that the staff and service make this a resort to put on your list to visit. First, we were greeted at the entrance with a hearty "Welcome Home" by Saul, one of the many great bellman. Next, the gracious and beautiful Selenia greeted us at check-in and when she informed us of our room number with a special smile and said that it was very nice room, she did not exagerate. The resort is very good at recogizing special occasions such as weddings, anniversaries, birthdays and I won't spoil the surprise by going into details, but suffice it to say, that there were a lot of "wows" upon entering our room. Special kudos go to the concierge, Yissel, who took it upon herself to help fix my husband's sunglasses by taking them home with her and to a local eyeglass store! She went way above and beyond the call of duty! Also, Justo, another bellman, who always asked how we were doing and the answer was always an honest "Excellente!!"
Now to food and beverage -- overall, it was very good. We found our favorite restaurant was the Blue Marlin, definitely made better by our first visit at lunch with Robert and Naurys as our waiters. They were so engaging and fun that it set the tone for the rest of our meals. And then we met William, who rounded out a perfect trio of servers. Definitely try the Seafood buffett night - awesome lobster, sushi, coconut fish and too many other great dishes to name. We also ate at The Steakhouse and The Wok but did not try Capriccio's since the menu did not appeal to us. However, another couple we met enjoyed that restaurant also. The breakfast buffett was awesome and more than enough food to satisfy any appetite.
Although we did not partake in any of the poolside activities, it was obvious that the activities directors were very excited about their jobs and having a great time -- as were the guests involved. We spent our free time, when not golfing, by the beach being taken care of by Marta. What a great smile and so much fun -- hola to Marta from Ricardo y Josephina!
If you are a golfer, a round at Punta Espada is a must. Although the price tag is high, it is well worth the views and challenge! Benny was our caddie and a great coach, although I never could seem to master the greens which were fast, fast, fast! We also played La Cana, very nice and our caddie there, James, was a lot of fun. We added one more round at the Barcelo Lakes, a nice interior course that is very playable for all levels.
Our last day, as we were enjoying the ocean breezes out on the porch behind the Blue Marlin, we had the good fortune to meet Andres, the chef at Capriccio's and the Blue Marlin. What a great memory to leave with -- his sharing of his Paella recipe and a tasting also!
Of course, no resort is perfect and our only "complaints" were the limited wine list available in the all-inclusive and the lack of any water sport activities such as snorkeling, paddle boards, canoes, etc. If you want to stay active, definitely budget for some excursions.
Overall, I think the best recommendation anyone can give is that we would go back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Its inspired design combines the charm of a Spanish colonial village with the laid-back sensuality of the Caribbean and the stylish sophistication of streamlined, modern design accents. Bougainvillea-lined pathways lead guests through the resort grounds to 176 expansive, private suites housed in replicas of a tower, colonial buildings and fortress. Within the resort are 5 exceptional restaurants, 5 bars, an elegant casino, a half-mile private beach with sugar-white sand, and meeting space for up to 500 guests, while just minutes away lie all the world-class recreational appeals of Cap Cana. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Resort