“Can't wait to go back!!”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #31 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed April 16, 2013

What a beautiful piece of paradise! I was almost in tears leaving the resort this morning. I visited Sanctuary for a friend's wedding and wish more of my friends would get married here so I would have more excuses to make a vacation out it. The pool grounds, beach and ocean views are absolutely breath taking. The service overall was exceptional! Everyone was so accommodating! My favorite part of each day was taking a walk over from my morning sun tanning session to hang out in the pool by the FreshCo bar. The staff are phenomenal! Junior es mi favorito! He was always looking out for me, making special drinks, helping me improve my spanish speaking skills, and walking the beach with a huge smile on his face, asking if everything was fine ('todo bien?') Talk about premium service! Luis, Bernardo and Carlos were also fantastic! I can't wait to visit again and will be looking into planning a follow-up trip shortly!!

Thanks to the crew for such a lovely week in beautiful Punta Cana!!!

3  Thank Kristen H
Cory S, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by our staff. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality. We want to guarantee a vacation that will be unforgettable.

Please tell your friends about our hotel. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,956)

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I've traveled to Puerto Rico before, but I had never gone to Dominican Republic until last week! It was so gloriously beautiful! The service was excellent, especially a bartender that I befriended named Bernardo who took great care of me and my friends while we were celebrating! The beach was divine and the views from the pool were just super!

I also liked my room a lot, it was spacious and always very clean--I also liked the style they furnished it in, it was just so pretty! I'm really glad I went on this trip with my girlfriends, and hope to come back with my family next year!

1  Thank Frances D
Cory S, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

We are glad you enjoyed your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana, and we thank you for sharing your experience online.

It is with great pleasure and honor that we service each of our guests to make their experience out of the ordinary. We are delighted to know that our scenery and service created a wonderful setting for your vacation.

We certainly will be expecting you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This resort is truly a beautiful tropical paradise that offers endless hours of fun and relaxation. What I believe sets the Sanctuary apart from all others is its magnificent, warm & accommodating staff and its outstanding management team (Cory & Enrique) who are present 24/7. They truly want you to enjoy yourself and have the best vacation they can provide. We travel to the Dominican Republic, Mexico & other Caribbean Islands quite often and have never written a review, but we felt compelled to after visiting the Sanctuary as it exceeded our expectations and has proven to be our best find yet!

All of the suites and villas are tastefully appointed, have stunning views and can accommodate couples and families of all sizes, and budgets of all sizes. Even their smallest room is more spacious than most hotel rooms at other resorts. They have 5 restaurants that serve superb meals and snacks all day & night and offer a great variety. Everyone, no matter what your diet or tastes may be, should be able to find something appealing and delicious at each and every restaurant. They will even make something plain and simple if that is what you wish for; just ask as nothing is ever a problem. The breakfast buffet at Casa Bella was bountiful and I would challenge anyone to not find something to eat. From made-to-order omelets, pastries, lox & bagels to hot & cold cereal and about 20 other options in between. Dinner can be as sumptuous as fillet mignon & lobster, al dente pasta with shrimp or as simple as lasagna or a hamburger, it’s your choice and they are there to make it happen. They will repeatedly tell you “No problem, it’s our pleasure.” One night there was a Seafood Festival, and although we do not usually do buffets for dinner, we took a peek and were easily persuaded to stay as everything was beautifully presented, fresh and amazingly delectable. Raul, the Food & Beverage Manager, is remarkable and goes from restaurant to restaurant during every meal making sure everything is running like clockwork and does his best to make sure you are savoring your meal. The wait staff he has working for him are just as conscientious and helpful. Although they were all terrific, there are a few I just have to mention such as Alfredo Diaz (who supervises the kitchens & went above & beyond for us), Kelvin & Omar who work at various restaurants throughout the day & night and Junior and Martha who service the pool & beach. They simply cannot do enough for you! Their memories of what you like & enjoy is incredible; they have it there before you even ask for it and if they do not have it they will find it.

My husband and son golfed at Punta Espada several times and raved about the course and the beauty of its location and views. The caddy was professional and knowledgeable and they would highly recommend it to all that love to golf. The concierge can make the reservations for you, but Hector, a supervisor from the reception desk, who is a golfer himself, can offer many suggestions as well. He is also the “go to” person if you are interested in upgrading your room and will assure you are satisfied.

For those who travel regularly during Spring break you will be delighted to learn you can start your day leisurely. There are no worries about having to get up at the crack of dawn to save chairs and play those towel games; there are plenty of lounge chairs at the pools and the beach at all times. THAT ALONE IS PRICELESS!. Dinner reservations are not necessary or limited (except for the Hibachi table) and we never had to wait more than 5 minutes, even during this busy season. There are also not the “regulars” hanging at the pool bar drinking all day and getting obnoxious and rude like you find at most of those large, chain resorts. The Sanctuary provides an aggravation free vacation. The guests; couples and families alike, visiting this resort are all genuine, great people. You honestly would not hesitate to recommend the Sanctuary to your friends and family.

The animation team, (our favorites, Menor & Reuben), work endlessly to provide fun activities for guests of all ages. You can do as little or as much as you please, there is no pressure here; they just want you to be happy and relish your vacation. Our 10 year old son was completely entertained the entire 9 days. He was busy participating in everything from beach volley ball to bocce to egg toss races. He had a blast! Another difference here versus large resorts is that he did not have to be under our watch every second as the scheduled activities are right in the heart of the property between the pool and the beach and you are literally only a few steps away at all times. The staff also gets to know you & your children and it is the safest, most intimate resort I have ever visited in my travels. The fun does not end at sunset either. That very same animation team continues with evening activities thru 1 am! There were bonfires on the beach, live bands on several nights, dancing, karaoke & more. They never stop.

We tipped the staff regularly, not because we felt obligated to, but because we wanted to, they were all AWESOME and earned it. They were always smiling and trying to please us and it was our way of saying thanks for the great service and for making our vacation so relaxed and memorable. It is actually baffling to me why one would not tip or think it is not necessary. Nevertheless, the staff will treat you like royalty whether you tip them or not. (But please do as they truly deserve it and you would never think of not tipping in the US).

Please trust you will not be disappointed booking a vacation to this incredible resort. (Ask for Claudia Jimenez, she will take excellent care of you). Take any negative reviews found here with a grain of salt. Some people are NEVER happy or satisfied and they need to put their expectations in perspective. Also, the hospitality extended by the staff makes any small glitch purely invisible.

We had such a fabulous time and were so impressed we are already planning a return trip to this island paradise!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank No1BeachLover
Cory S, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

We are more than happy to learn that you got to experience our beautiful scenery as well as the enthusiasm of our staff. We thank you for allowing us to bring you our best service and create for you a memorable vacation. We will share with our staff your remarks about their service. We are sure Enrique, Hector, Menor, Ruben, Raul, Alfredo, Kelvin, Omar, Junior & Martha will be honored to know that you enjoyed and appreciate their hospitality.

We truly hope we get a chance to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I, very much enjoyed our 6 days and 6 night stay at The Sanctuary Cap Cana! It would have been 7 - but thanks to American Airlines for delaying our flight several times, with no compensation, we finally reached our paradise destination! Upon arriving - I will warn you about the airport, it is a hassle, slow, and expect to wait.
Arriving - we arrived mid-afternoon, and right from the driveway, we received warm welcomes, a drink, and a lovely suite which was a beach front villa. Everyday there is housekeeping to upkeep your suit, restock towels, and mini fridge.
I do suggest, the all inclusive package. Me and my boyfriend come from a tipping town ( Las Vegas ) - and gratuity is not included, but for the service and kindness of the staff, it is much appreciated me. I am thankful for servers Margarita at the pool --- always a smile on her face, drinks never empty and food whenever we needed. Her service is above and beyond! Robert from the Casa Breakfast Buffet, Samuel at the Steakhouse, Manuel at the Italian restaurant for A+ service - excellent service, attentive, made us feel special!!!! Also activity director Teddy Bear, and The Arrow aka Black Angel for making our beach experience mucho grande!!!
I also have to say the International Dance Show was legit!
The food was great, aside from some stuff but - what do you expect? You're going to a resort that caters to a lot of people, personalities, etc.
Breakfast is served buffet style at the Casa Grill, lunch, and dinner - there is more options. The hostess are hit are or miss. Pretty girls, but sometimes disorganized. We would be standing at the door and no welcome. Also, depending on the server - it lacks, but their bussers / food runners back them up.

Honestly the atmosphere, amazing view of the beach, just see the pictures - it is worth the value. We are definitely coming back, and I am very sad to see this place. I am also bringing our family next time. It's not adult only, there are kids - some are well behaved. There's some couples, solos, friends, etc. Thank you for the amazing 6 days, and 6 nights!
Keep an open mind coming here, I knew a little Spanish - but very thankful my boyfriend knew it. The staff does their best to communicate and their effort shows.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank WalterMoi

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

It is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality. We will share your feedback with the entire team especially to Margarita, Robert, Mnuel, teddy Bear, and The Arrow. They love knowing when guest appreciates there service.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is what a vacation should be!!!From start to finish this was a wonderful experience. It was worth every penny. When we arrived we were upgraded to a wonderful ocean front villa. It was gorgeous. The staff were very friendly , ready to assist in anyway . The food was very good. The steak house and the blue marlin were our favorite. The only suggestion that I would make, is the room service should have a more extensive menu

Room Tip: per other travelers do not book a room in the main building, not as quiet
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

We are truly glad that we were able to bring you the best vacation of your life. At Sanctuary Cap Cana we take pride of our hotel`s beautiful scenery, but we take great pride of our staff efforts to please and create great experiences for our guests.

We will take into consideration your feedback, it is our mission to improve everyday and exceed our valued guest’s expectations.

Hope you can travel back on the near future!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at Sanctuary Cap Cana from April 9th to the 13th to celebrate my 30th birthday. My older sister and her husband joined us and since her birthday was only 4 days after mine, we also celebrated it.

I will review the resort first and then talk about other things like excursions and the airport.

Grounds
Perfection! The lawn, flora, walkways, sitting areas, etc. were maintained beautifully. I felt so at ease and relaxed as soon as we arrived. I really enjoyed the European feel with beautiful balconies, stones arches, and courtyards.  There were several sitting areas around the resort that never seemed full and were very inviting. This isn't your cookie-cutter all inclusive and I wish I could put into words how beautiful it is.

Check In
We arrived at 2pm and had to wait for our room because check in isn't until 3pm. Unfortunately it took until 3:45 to get checked in. We were a bit annoyed because the pool was calling our names but we let it go. We were driven to our Junior Beachfront Suite with luggage in tow.

Rooms:
Pros: rooms 1017 through 1024 have a great layout with a separate bedroom and sitting area. They all have beach and ocean views while laying in bed. They have two large, arched patio doors that come off of the living room and bedroom. They have a small stone, private patio with lounge chairs and easy access to the beach and main pool. They are near everything.

The room was nicely decorated and the closet very large. The bathroom had beautiful stone throughout and a separate shower and large tub. It also had double sinks. I would not stay in any room in a category less than this. In fact if you can upgrade, the Monarch Villas are definitely the way to go! We got to see these also and wished they had one open. Any beachfront Royalty Villa is also an excellent choice.

Cons: my sister stayed in 1014 and her layout was different even though it was the same category of room. They only had one patio door and it wasn't  beautifully constructed with wood arches.  Their bed faced away from the beach too so they couldn't watch the sunrise from bed. The overall size of the room was the same. I would request anything from 1017 to 1024 to avoid this layout though.

Our room had a bit of a musty smell. I really hate this so if I could accept it, I'm pretty sure most people would be fine and might not even notice. My sister's room was not musty.

Do not stay in the castle suites or private island suites unless you like seclusion. We also got to see these and they were very nice but the atmosphere was very low key. The walk to the main beach and pool wasn't that far though. They do have a private rooftop pool but no one was ever there.

Pools
Nothing but good things to say. They have about 4 different pools and they were never overly crowded; however, beach chairs and cabanas go fast. By 6:15am most cabanas are taken. Go earlier and put down a towel, magazine and any other heavy object of no value to reserve a spot.

The infinity pool at the top near the lobby is beautiful but has no chairs. The one below it is a bit more private and has some seating. The rest of the action is at the main pool because the bar is there.

Beach
The private beach was nice but a bit rocky and the rocks blend in with the sand. When I say "rocky" I mean big rocks, not like the beach sand isn't smooth. The sand is extremely soft. Just watch your step around the big rocks. My brother in law cut his foot walking into the ocean. The water was very murky and I'm not sure if that is just how it always is or we came at a bad time.

We went to the public beach, Juanillo, which is past the castle and it was nice. There are beautiful palm trees here and it makes for a great picture. You can easily walk here. No need or a taxi.

If you're looking for a wild, crazy party and loud music, do NOT go here. It has a more mature vibe but it is still fun. Most people were young professionals or couples with young kids. There weren't too many kids though.  You saw more relaxing dinner and bar conversations than parties in rooms or at the bars. We really enjoyed the vibe.

I'm extremely impressed considering this is an all inclusive! I'm not saying it is worth the prices on the menu (those who don't do all inclusive pay these prices) but it was good for an average-priced all inclusive. The grouper burger at the pool bar is amazing! We also enjoyed the shrimp white wine pasta at the Italian restaurant. My bro in law enjoyed his steak at the  Italian restaurant and the steakhouse but liked the steak at the Italian place better. We ordered almost one of everything at the Japanese restaurant and loved it. I'm a sushi snob and will say the sushi cut was butchered but it tastes OK. Definitely would please anyone who doesn't eat sushi a lot.

They only bad thing was the fried calamari at the steak restaurant (way over cooked) and the lobster at the seafood festival at the Blue Marlin (mush). Also the lobster roll on the lunch menu at the Blue Marlin had no lobster in it, just veggies. However it tasted great. The bang bang shrimp at the BM is covered in a mayo sauce which I didn't care for but my sister liked.

Unfortunately this is where it goes downhill. I strongly debated what rating to give the resort because everything else EXCEPT the service was AMAZING.  Please keep in mind that my husband and I had worked in the service industry (bartending and waiting tables) through high school and college. We tolerate bad service and usually still tip well. We also tip at all inclusive resorts even though it is included.

Service at all restaurants was rude. Not many smiling faces and some told us we had to order everything at once when we wanted to take our time.  Our drinks never came quickly and part of our drink order would be missing. We would politely ask for the missing beer or cocktail and it would take another 15 to 20 minutes to get it. At one point we asked for a third time and the guy said very rudely "well what do you want?" Um....it hasn't changed.

My steak at the steakhouse was cooked well-done when I asked for very rare. I was so full from the appetizers I said to just take it back and to not try again. My bro in law didn't get his until 35 minutes after we got ours. We actually started timing stuff so I could write this review.

My husband ordered a romantic breakfast and paid extra for it.  He tried to surprise me but when it was 30 minutes late and I was asking why we couldn't go eat,  he gave up and told me. We called and it arrived. The food was what you could order off the all inclusive menu, was cold (not warm but cold) and was not good. The breakfast buffet was far better! We also should have got a bottle of champagne and they sent their house white wine which we had at the restaurant the night before and it was horrible. We didn't open this bottle.

He had also paid extra to have a birthday cake and champagne delivered to the room at noon on my birthday. We all reluctantly left the pool and went to the room. Once again they weren't on time. We called twice and the second time (30 minutes later) told them to bring it to the pool. Two hours later, we got. We actually had given up on it at one point. The champagne was very good though.

That night we went back to our room and neither key cards would work. That was enough. We went to the front desk and I complained politely about everything. I was more upset that my husband felt bad because he wanted everything to go perfectly for my birthday. I was told we would receive a call from Enrique the next day. We never did. Three calls later throughout the day didn't help either. I told them I would deal with this at check out because I was going to dinner. They asked where and I told them the steakhouse. At dinner that night, champagne was delivered to us.

The one exception to the bad service was Junior at the poolside bar. He was amazing!! Definitely find him!

Excursion
We booked the reef explorer excursion in the hotel lobby and it was easy to do. The driver arrived on time and drove us 35 minutes to the reef. For $129 we spent 3 hours swimming with stingrays, nurse sharks, paddle boarding, kayaking, getting a 20 minute massage, snorkeling, and laying out. You could do any of this at your own pace with no limits, except for the massage. You only got one massage.  I swam with the stingrays mostly and got a picture holding one.

Airport
Arrive at least 3 hours in advance when leaving. It was so busy when we were there and very slow. They have American food when you get past security (Wendy's, Sbarro, Nathan's, etc.) Cheap Caribbean was our booking method and Olympus Tours picked us up on time both to and from the airport.  Airport is only 15 to 20 minutes from Sanctuary.

Overall I would still highly recommend the resort because everything else was perfect except for service and the majority of the time it was tolerable even though not good. If we didn't constantly like to try new locations and resorts, I would come back here and give the service another shot.

Room Tip: Very least get ocean front junior suite between numbers 1017 through 1024. Monarch or Royalty is rea...
12  Thank maria3405

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

It is never our intentions for any of our guest to have any misfortunes while on vacation. We currently had a change of management and are working closely with staff to guarantee proper services are being conducted. Our management team main priority is the guest.

We hope you will visit us again and see the improvement.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

It's been a few weeks, but our experience and memories of Sanctuary linger. What a beautiful resort, and incredible staff! My daughter and I needed a getaway and some relaxation, beautiful views and of course sun! We were amazed and impressed by it all. As we explored the resort, the attention to detail was paramount. Every shrub trimmed, every drink replaced, every chair pulled for you, remarkable. Make sure you go with the all-inclusive, well worth it, and go to each of the restaurants, they are all different and have their own flair. The staff was like family, so sweet, so nice, so happy. Thank you to Enrique for showing us around....my next trip will be with my husband for sure, and some friends!! So many great staff members, but Carlos, Jr., Menor, and Teddy Bear deserve a mention!

Room Tip: We had a top floor Jr. suit, went for the better ocean view!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancy L

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by our staff. . At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality. We want to guarantee a vacation that will be unforgettable.