Every traveler is different and every experience is different..this is just a recap of my experience. The resort says it is a 5 star resort, with that comes certain expectations. I usually travel to 4 and 5 star resorts and have been to most locations in the Caribbean so I feel that I have a good handle on what I can expect. If your resort says that you will meet me upon arrival with a cocktail and cool towel, I expect just that. We were not greeted by anyone. We wandered in to the lobby and found the hotel check-in. Halfway through; we did receive a drink but no towel. The person checking us in was not very informative about the resort or amenities, nor did he ask us if we had any questions regarding our upcoming stay. When I asked about gratuities (always included in every "all inclusive" I've stayed at), he told me that they were included but the staff appreciates a little extra if I feel the service is good. Luckily for us a hotel guest outside told us all about the restaurants and warned us that there was only one restaurant open for breakfast and service at both the restaurants and room service was very slow. Every time you order a drink, food, room service, they bring you a bill. Although the total is $0, the original charge shows which makes me feel obligated to tip when I sign. Half the staff I encountered did not speak English and half the staff I encountered were less than friendly. However.. Bernardo at the pool bar was AWESOME! He remembered your name and what you like to drink. He was great!!! The room, although pretty at first glance, was not clean feeling. My ceiling had a hole in it which dripped water (which they fixed as soon as I called), the bathtub was so gross looking you couldn’t pay me to get in it, the sheets were stained and the towels were frayed. Some days we got washcloths and hand towels, some days we didn’t. The bed was very hard but if you call and order memory foam pillows, you can sleep on them and make it much more comfortable. Our air conditioner didn’t work very well, we usually woke up during the night sweating! There was not a ceiling fan in our room. The public restrooms did not have paper towels or cloth towels; they had kleenex to dry your hands with. By the end of the afternoon, the restrooms closest to the pool also had no toilet paper. The beach had plenty of open chairs to sit and lounge in along with a wait staff to bring you drinks. However, the beach is very rocky and I watched 3 different sets of hotel guests wander into the surf, step on rocks, trip and fall. The surf is so brown that you cannot see the bottom or the dangerous, rocky surface. There is a very specific walk you have to take to get into the water and not hurt yourself. Somehow, the staff or hotel should make this known. The saltwater, free-form, beach-entry pool is gorgeous. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. They even have a crew raking up seaweed each day from the beach. The Wok restaurant is not good and the Blue Marlin is good at lunch, but not at dinner. The Steakhouse and the Italian restaurant were very good and the service at both was also very good. The resort says it includes domestic and imported beer as part of your package. The only beer they have is Presidente and Bohemia, both available in light. The restaurants all close at 10:30 and the one bar, the Love Bar, closes at 1am. If you want quiet and seclusion, this is the resort for you. It is massive and spread out quite far which means you can stroll at night and not see a single person. The Love Bar had, at most, 8-10 guests during the evening hours (although that may be due to the questionable entertainment and music selections). I heard many guests would leave at night and to a hotel/casino in Bavaro to gamble and party. Sadly, the day we checked out, every staff member was very nice as soon as they heard we were leaving….hmm, almost as if to sway your review when you return home. I know it worked on my husband! :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Its inspired design combines the charm of a Spanish colonial village with the laid-back sensuality of the Caribbean and the stylish sophistication of streamlined, modern design accents. Bougainvillea-lined pathways lead guests through the resort grounds to 176 expansive, private suites housed in replicas of a tower, colonial buildings and fortress. Within the resort are 5 exceptional restaurants, 5 bars, an elegant casino, a half-mile private beach with sugar-white sand, and meeting space for up to 500 guests, while just minutes away lie all the world-class recreational appeals of Cap Cana. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Resort