5,275 results
All reviews blue marlin love bar casa bella juanillo beach ocean bar taco truck monarch villa castle pool wok restaurant castle suite royalty villa baby face main pool room service black angel punta espada our honeymoon
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The resort is gorgeous, immaculate at that but it is shorted by its food, service and lack of enthusiasm.

We stayed in the castle, which was wonderful and quiet. Like many others we booked through Orbitz only to arrive and find out we did not have a all-inclusive package which Orbitz advertised for. Still trying to resolve the issue. not cool.

our room was ready when we arrived-take note check in is at 3pm.

language is an issue as mentioned numerous times. but its almost as if they are not interested in helping-for the most part, few exceptions.

concierge is super helpful, but have patience (caribbean time)

the pools are lovely and beach was pleasant, though service at these areas=sparse. most likely bc everyone is all-inclusive and most people do not tip (why would you if the service is poor?)

the food (ha!) was the most difficult part for us. if you have dietary restrictions/allergies be extra extra careful. buffet breakfast and lunch are best (sadly). the wok is good, steakhouse-okay (an option for an appetizer are onion rings?), blue marlin and room service were hit or miss. You never know what you were going to get and after being exhausted from the sun all day the last thing you want to do is try to explain that you received the wrong thing to someone just saying "no".

ex: room service
ordered: linguine and crushed red peppers and sun-dried tomatoes with fresh garlic and oil
delivered: buckwheat noodles in butter with very dark almost burgundy colored sun-dried tomatoes.
ordered: vegatarian wrap: dominican avocados, cheese, sprouts, tomatoes
delivered: wrap with cheese, peppers, onions
(oh and I am allergic to peppers)

blue marlin:
ordered lobster spring roll
delivered: no lobster
ordered: steak salad
delivered: cobb salad (swimming in olive oil)

Ocean Club (at the Castle) is beautiful- although they have a pre-made salad and turkey sandwich-only good for drinks.

what's good: salads, bread, breakfast, beef tenderloin, rice, cheese, desserts, drinks straight up/on the rocks. Be careful most of the drinks on the menu are super sweet.

we began to laugh about the food and tried to guess what they would mix up next, which is terrible considering the money we sent on the trip.

nightly entertainment was minimal, but the fire show one night was great.

strange that they advertise for a casino and have signs for it, and mention it is not included in AI but actually there is no casino.

golf was amazing $2 each way to punta espada

reef explorer was great too- 5hrs. of snorkeling with nurse sharks and sting rays/massage/kayaking/paddle board, 20 minutes away.

did not see kayaks or any water activities at the hotel which they advertise for-- but bocce, horseshoes, and volleyball were a constant.

room service does not come until late afternoon

the spa was lovely. staff lovely. treatments were great. its a must!

we did a private dinner on the beach which I recommend-- the food was actually okay (because we paid extra)

do not got to the cigar shop-he will rip you off--buy cigars from the pool

The resort definitely has potential, the place is amazing, but needs new management and chef and they will be good to go. we would return if the food improved and the staff was a little more interested in their jobs and didnt just look at you like youre crazy.

I write few reviews, but I wish I had listened to the them. Everything in these reviews are true!

Room tip: Stay in the castle, you'll have the Ocean Club to your self!
4  Thank lamaha
Angela T, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us online. I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests. We currently had a change of management and are working closely with staff to guarantee proper services are being conducted. Can you please provide your email to info@sanctuarycapcana.com so our Hotel Manager can talk to you personally? We appreciate your feedback, and hope you give us the chance to make it right. We here at Sanctuary Cap Cana are here to service our guest and exceed their expectations.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

just returned home from 4 nights 5 days.....weather,food and hotel are incredible, staff did a excellent job of meeting our every request.......Hector and front office staff were very personal in meeting our every need........Thanks for a excellent vacation.......Gary and Mary

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank gary6858

We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality. We want to guarantee a vacation that will be unforgettable. Thank you for you kind remarks and recognition of efforts. Please tell your friends about our hotel. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The best escape for a honeymoon. Quiet, private, elegant, clean and sophisticated. Mr. Santana, the manager, is a true gentleman. El menor is also very courteous and attentive as well as the rest of the staff. But perhaps the paramount experience while being in Sanctuary was the chance to eat at such an array of five stars restaurants. Instead of the dull "all inclusive" buffet that is prevalent in the most DR hotels Sanctuary offers guests the opportunity to have fantastic romantic dinners with your beloved. The architecture is like nothing I ve ever seen in the DR (I am Dominican myself). Please beware when booking via Orbitz or any other online agency , always confirm with the hotel itself the term of your reservation.

Date of stay: January 2013
1  Thank Ramon O

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana. Since undergoing new management we are working closely with our staff to make certain our guest receives the highest level of service. Our management team main priority is the guest. Please tell your friends about our hotel. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was more of a hassel than a relaxing vacation. My gf got a call two days before we were supposed to leave saying that they over booked the hotel and wanted to move us to a different hotel instead. I have a feeling it had something to do with the deal they had going on groupon that caused us to be bumped from our room. We ended up going the next week instead and they upgraded us to a honeymoon villa suite for no extra charge. When we went to check in they tried to tell us that it was not all inclusive until we asked to speak to the manager Hector who then assured us it was. They initially told us we would be staying in room 1028 then switched it to 1027. The second night there I was woken up by my gf at 4 am telling me she just saw two men in the room. When I got up to look I saw a golf cart with two men in it turning around when I confronted them they did not speak english very well and kept saying front desk. When I came back into the room my gf was on the phone with the front desk apologizing saying it was a mistake and that they were sorry. For the rest of the trip my gf did not feel safe sleeping and kept waking up in the middle of the night thinking someone was trying to get in, she couldnt even get a good nights sleep on vacation. I went to the front desk to talk to Hector the next day and told him what happened and he apologized and told me he would send over a bottle of champagne to our room which never came. The language barrier with the staff can be a problem at times as well. The one bright spot was the spa. The staff was very friendly and the services were excellent. We were given a $200 credit for them messing up our original vacation week which we used for the spa. When I checked out the spa total was $170 and other items purchased at the mini market were $28. Hector told me the spa was taken care of and my total was $28, I was not thinking at the time and just payed the $28 because I just wanted to get out of there and go home. I should have been comped the $28 a well under the $200 credit but, its a lesson learned on my part. Our flight ended up getting canceled and when I called Hector to see if there was anything he could do for us regarding and room for the night he wanted to charge me $240/pp and acted like he was giving me a deal when if reality he should have gave us a free night for all the trouble we went through. The airline ended up putting us up at the Melia Caribe Tropical, the resort is massive and I highly suggest staying there. They have great food,a club and a casino(cap cana advertises having a casino when in fact the workers told us it was closed down). If you do decide to go to cap cana anyway be sure to see Alex in the cigar shop, he was extremely nice and took good care of us. If I had to do it again I would def stay at Melia and actually enjoy my vacation instead of constantly trying to fix problems. -Greg

1  Thank Greg W

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience at Sanctuary Cap Cana. It is never our intentions for any of our guest to have any misfortunes while on vacation. We currently had a change of management and are working closely with staff to guarantee proper services are being conducted. Our management team main priority is the guest. We hope you will visit us again and see the improvement.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Comfortable suites surrounded by well maintained gardens and beautiful beach. Food is excellent. Staff is professional and friendly. Beach is good. Water sports limited. Nearest town is about ten minutes by taxi away.

3  Thank John R
Angela T, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana. We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by our staff. . At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality. We want to guarantee a vacation that will be unforgettable. Please tell your friends about our hotel. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.