“Sanctuary Cap Cana more than 5 stars”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #42 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“Sanctuary Cap Cana more than 5 stars”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Hello everybody, i stayed in this hotel a few weeks ago with David Ortiz Celebrity Golf and the experience was unforgetable, the rooms are incredible there are 14 categorys, 5 delicious restaurans, i cannot forget the pools especially at the Ocean Bar, this resort is more than 5 stars, you have complimentary transportation every where round Cap Cana, i visited punta Espada one of the most beautiful golf course in the caribbean.
All the staff in the hotel is very helpful all the time, i want to thank to (YISSEL DOCE) concierge, she was my translator during my stay.
If you want to pass a nice vacation with your family you should try this amazing place.

Room 3014 (Junior suite ocean view)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kobenchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,197)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
cap cana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Everything perfect! open minded, extremely friendly and happy personnel. Fascinating Architecture, imagining old ancient style, but almost brand new and in mint condition. Excellent food in every restaurant, ranging from breakfast with a wide range of fresh fruits to fish and steak (particularly the Tenderloin steak). Perfect organisation and management, concierge advice (Zeleni). Two golf courses (Los Coralles and Punta Espada) next door which are definitely top 10!!! of the world. Beach and Pool excellently placed and in great shape. Only the tennis course is with a different hotel, thus a shuttle bus needed. All in all a great experience for me and my wife, only to compare with honeymoon in Mauritius.

Room Tip: experienced the Junior Suite, perfect for two with Ocean view.
1 Thank roland n
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

I recently stayed at Sanctuary Cap Cana on a four day getaway from New York in the aftermath of the storm. I wanted to relas and to improve my golf game at Punta Espada, the nearby golf course. I was looking for a five star experience. What I got was far from it. The resort in many places is still marketed as adult-only. Not true. Many nights, only one of the five restaurants is open. I was told that one of the restaurants, The Wok, has rarely ever been open. (Before booking, ask Sanctuary Cap Cana to send you one of the daily bulletins/flyers that are placed in the rooms of guest. It will indicate which restaurants are open as well as provide information on activities at the resort.) I booked an ocean view suite, but was given a room without an ocean view. I told the front desk about the problem and was told that I would be moved to another room with a view, but housekeeping needed a few hours to clean the other room. I had lunch at the Blue Marlin and afterwards checked on the status of the room change. I was told that no one was aware that I had requested a room change, and no rooms were available until possibly the next day. Another example of what I experienced occurred after returning from the Punta Espada golf course on the third day, I noticed that housekeeping did not leave any face cloths or hand towels. I called the front desk and requested the cloths and hand towels. This was around 4:30 PM. After repeated calls and going to the front desk, I finally got the cloths and hand towels around 11PM. The refrigerator is stocked with two cans of cheap beer, one coke, one sprite and two small bottles of water. (Call and ask what's in the stocked refrigerator.) I could go on and on. I think my point is made that it was not a five star experience. Sadly, I selected Sanctuary Cap Cana, in part, based on all the glowing reviews that appear on Tripadvisor. I wrote to staff at Sanctuary and its owner, Salamander Resorts, about my experience. I got an apology and was told that the front desk and housekeeping staff would essentially be re-instructed on proper protocol, and I was offered a room upgrade if i come back. Think I will pass on that offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
18 Thank jcharez
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We had a couples getaway for 6 days in December. Spectacular place, beautifully maintained. But there were problems. First was the bait and switch on the price, which clearly stated that it was "all inclusive" when in fact it was not. When this was brought to the manager's attention, he said we should have known this wasn't the full price. By that time we had bought airline tickets so we were stuck. Although they advertise 6 restaurants, only one or 2 were open at any one time, and the menus were very limited. While the food was cooked to order (and took a while), it was oddly mediocre. As one guest said, "like banquet food." The staff were invariably friendly but they didn't seem quite sure what a luxury resort should be like. The minibar was only filled once but when we mentioned it we were told that we were responsible for telling them every day (a consistent theme that any problem was our fault). Then there was the night there was a loud banging on the door at 10:00 pm -- the turn down service! The maid seemed shocked that we were already asleep. This is an expensive place, and there is much better value in other resorts.

Room Tip: The Castle rooms are nice but a walk from the restaurants and beach. Bring an umbrella if it rains.
1 Thank JohnArlington_11
Angela T, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest:

I am so sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience at Sanctuary Cap Cana. It is never our intentions for any of our guest to have any misfortunes while on vacation. We currently had a change of management and are working closely with staff to guarantee proper services are being conducted. I can understand the confusion with the price. We are an all-inclusive resort however, with the exception of fine wines, fine cuts, and lobsters. We do offer top shelf liquor from 6:00am to 1:00am. Regarding our menus, you are totally right! We are reworking some of our menu options. I understand everyone has a different threshold, and it seemed we missed the mark with you. We do apologize that the employee gave wrong information concerning our mini bars. It is the responsibility of housekeeping to ensure the mini bar is replenished daily.

We appreciate your feedback, and hope you give us the chance to make it right. We here at Sanctuary Cap Cana are here to service our guest and exceed their expectations.
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

This place is amazing...had the best time there, the service is outstanding everyone made us feel like vip's but without feeling like they had to.....we lost one of our friends and they really went out of their way to help us locate him, will be going back for sure.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank islafever
Madison
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

As much as I'd like to keep this gem of a resort all to myself, I cant help but say that this place exceeded my expectations! The hotel itself is spotless and the food was outstanding. The service was great - - we felt like royalty! A huge thanks to Inoska, Yisel and Junior who were always friendly, helpful and kind. I would go back there in a minute!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Holmdel, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

What was once a lush and luxurious retreat to paradise has now been transformed into a mediocre experience, that is, depending on what is going on at the resort when you visit...

I have written but 2 of these reviews in my entire life, ironically both for the same resort (giving a 5-star rating a year ago under its prior ownership)... Effectively, what has turned out to be a tale of two resorts, if you will.

Service is sparse and sometimes challenging to find; the cutbacks in staff are quite quite evident, however, when you do find service it's friendly, attentive and warm, and as good as it has ever been... The service staff that works there are wonderful.

On our first day we were greeted by an out of control group of guests, who had commandeered the pool and surrounding area, screaming every imaginable profanity, explicit sex acts and much more at the top of their lungs... The vulgarity was beyond any threshold of tolerance, with many of the guests speaking amongst themselves complaining, and with many leaving the pool area (usually not a good sign).

We all expected that someone from the hotel's management would appear and bring this situation under control, but that did not happen, and this unrestricted vulgarity went on for nearly 8 hours... and now being a family resort, parents scurried and gathered their children and ushered them away from the "profanity family experience" as management remained notably absent.

Sadly, unlike the former resort operator, there appears to be less attention to detail... towels were hard to come by in property bathrooms, other amenities being sparse and with much needing maintenance on this property, including many of the walkways that have broken, cracked or missing portions of pavers...

If you enjoy weddings (not yours) then this is the place for you! Weddings in your face... How about one wedding in the back of the hotel lobby and terrace... It was so loud that we could hear the deafening music a full section away, over a loud TV in our guest room (we had raised the volume to try to drown out the noise) and which blared on until late into the evening.

We were at a Ritz Carlton in Jamaica a few months back that had three weddings going on... You would never know it... We found out as we saw the wedding parties walking around the property taking pictures... Here, on the other hand, you may as well crash the wedding... Since there's no escaping it.

Truth be told, we have nothing against weddings and wish these new couples well... However, we, and other guests, paid good money to visit here and relax too... Salamander has fully dismissed our privileges as paying customers.

Truth be told, the resort is a five-star property, their service staff are also five-star all the way; they were truly wonderful.

This review is a referendum on the resort manager and his or her staff, who, in my opinion, failed miserably to recognize that people paid good money to visit their resort, and dismissed their equal entitlement to quiet enjoyment as guests... after speaking with the concierge several times (about these and other issues early in the week) we were assured that the resort manager was concerned and that he/she would be coming to our room to discuss our concerns... Well, after many more days passed we never saw nor spoke with the general manager, much less any hotel management... Shame on them...

So if your considering this resort as a romantic getaway... Think twice, you may be better off going elsewhere, depending on what you're looking for... And what's going on at the resort during your visit!

13 Thank Nicholas T
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 110 in Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,201 reviews

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!