“Perfect Honeymoon” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Kentucky
“Perfect Honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

My new wife and I just returned from our stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana. After doing loads of researching trying to plan our ideal honeymoon, mostly on this wonderful website, I decided this would be the best place for us. I read nearly all reviews on this resort and can tell you that from my personal experience, the more positive reviews were all true and then some, and that the negative reviews told of nothing that impacted my trip at all. It was wonderful.

I will start by mentioning what we felt was most unique about this place, that being the friendly and wonderful service. Everyone not only went above and beyond to make you happy and to fulfill your every need, every person that you encountered working at the resort had a genuine joyfulness and were personable in every way. Not only was someone always making themselves available to take your order or bring you a drink, they would do it with a smile and friendly conversation. One time in our trip when customer service truly stuck out was upon our arrival, when we were checking in and were faced with a huge problem in our reservation that was caused by the big online booking agent (rhymes with crappleocity) and not at all at the fault of the resort. During dealing with this problem, I was fairly upset and tired from traveling and the front desk staff did everything they could to help and make us feel comfortable. In the end, Hector, the front desk manager, went beyond his duties to accommodate us and to fix this problem that wasnt his to fix. Cannot thank him enough.

The beauty of this resort was all-around, top-notch. The spanish-style architecture with no two buildings looking the same was brilliant and the landscape at every turn was breathtaking. Seemed like an older, small community. The variety of plants was great with colorful flowers and exotic plants that I had never seen (particularly these awesome flowering shrubs with dense thorns) were arranged beautifully placed all around the grounds and views and outdoor areas were created seamlessly. This place was truly delightful to walk through at any time of day. One of my favorite landscape features were the palm trees on the beach, creating a more natural feel, and we spent most of our time here rather than by the pool, as we enjoyed time to ourselves and the pool got a little crowded toward the end of the week when wedding parties were coming in for the weekend.
Other notes on the grounds was that the grounds crew works very hard every day to make the landscapes clean, trimmed, and beautiful but were not at all in the way. All of the pools were beautiful. The beach is wonderful, clean and calm waters. The beach was a little rocky the first day but a storm came and washed that all away and the sand was nice the rest of the time.

Next, the food. Wonderful. My wife and I spoiled every ounce of the slimming-down that we had done leading up to our wedding, and quickly. We ate three courses nearly every night and never left with any complaints. While we were there, three of the four restaurants were open: Steakhouse, Capriccio (italian fusion), and Blue Marlin. The Wok was not open, I believe because the Castle was just opening back up after being shut off for the "down-season", but wouldve been a nice addition, im sure, and it would've been great to have one more restaurant through our 6 night stay. Overall, all of the food that we ate was very good. Dinner every night was great. For lunch, we never ate a buffet. We ate at Blue Marlin every chance we had, and ordered from the pool bar the other two days, which was also surprisingly good, they cook this food in one of the indoor kitchens not by the pool. Also, the only time we ordered room service was for breakfast and it couldn't have been better.
As some advice, and just to prove that i'm not just throwing out all the plus' and leaving out the minus', For dinner we always had at least a few glasses of the house wine which was included with all-inclusive, but one night we ordered a bottle to the table rather than drink the house wine which turned out to be a great idea as the bottle was only 30 USD which is not all that bad. Wish we had done this other nights. Also, I dont perfer the Cheesecake. There ya go...

Our room had to be the best on the premises, we stayed in a beachfront Monarch Villa wich were generously upgraded to due to the fact that our swim up room in the castle was not available upon our first night, but even though it was available starting the second night, they allowed us to stay in this wonderful villa. We were feet from the beautiful beach and ocean and the interior itself was very nice and accommodating. The maid service was wonderful cleaning the room every day and also turn-down service every night while we were at dinner. There were, at times, a few small insects and a couple of very small crabs in the room, but we were welcoming to these critters since we were essentially sharing their environment, being only feet from the beach.
At one time we did walk through the Castle when trying to find our way to neighboring Juanillo beach (turned right around when we made it there) what we saw there were very long, dark, quiet halls. However, it's rooms had only been available for a couple days which may had contributed to its "ghost town" feel. When booking, I thought this was the only place for us, and it may be very nice, I never got in a room. But after staying closer to the central area, the openness, character, and proximity to everything made us very thankful we got the room we did.

Overall, this was the perfect honeymoon for my wife and I, and we would highly recommend this resort for not only any couples, but also families. We saw both families and couples there but mostly couples and mostly honeymooners. What a Wonderful Place! Once in a lifetime trip, for us! Thanks Sanctuary.

Room Tip: The beachfront villas in my opinion must be the best.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Paul B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,184)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

After reading so many different reviews on this site, my sister and I set off with realistic expectations of our first "SisterVacation". While we had a minor issue with the A/C on our first nite, everything was handled promptly and we enjoyed 10 days in the best monarch beachfront villa!! We also enjoyed great food in 3 of 4 restaurants that were open. The grounds and ambiance of this property are unmatched. The staff can't even be described in terms of how much they seem to love their jobs! They are just fantastic. Room service food isn't great, but you can order from the restaurants thru room service and that food is wonderful with very few exceptions!
The pool and pool bar were very enticing and we spent many days with Carlos and Bernardo floating and enjoying many of their frozen concoctions. We will come back!

Room Tip: 1011 is a beachfront villa closest to the pool. If you want romantic seclusion , choose 1003 it sits...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kahlifl
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana was absolutely fabulous!

The only negative was when we arrived. Our flight was delayed, so our arranged transportation from the resort was not waiting when we arrived. I did expect that they would track our flight since they had our information, but they did not, so we hopped in a cab. Within the Cap Cana property, there are many areas and the cab driver had absolutely no idea where he was going. What should have taken us 15-20 minutes probably took 40. It was frustrating, but we finally made it, and Sanctuary refunded our money for the transportation without any hesitation.

On arrival we were given drinks and cold towels and our room was ready. We booked the lowest category and it was very very nice, with a big balcony, and ocean views over the pool. The resort was pretty much empty, so we were persuaded to go on a "room tour" of other available upgrades. We certainly could have said no, but I was curious, as I had seen the other available rooms. The first room we were brought to was outstanding. It was the corner suite on the upper level of the castle. It had sweeping ocean views, and an enormous deck with a private pool. SOLD. We did not need to see anything else. We were able to negotiate a rate we didn't have to think twice about!

Overall, the resort was almost empty. We loved it that way. There were about 5 other couples we befriended throughout the week, and that was enough to have a great time with. We never had to reserve chairs by the pool, wait for a table at a restaurant, or worry about not getting a reservation. All of the restaurants were not open all of the time, but they would offer multiple menus at one restaurant on those nights, so the choices were plentiful. If it were up to me, I would have eaten at Blue Marlin every night!! Where else can you eat over the ocean with the sound of the waves crashing throughout dinner?!

This is the most unique resort layout we have ever been to. The variety of room choices was unbelievable, and lent itself to a village feel. There were no tall buildings of room after room. There were villas, a castle, and some other small buildings surrounded by lush gardens and meticulously maintained grounds. The restaurants, lobbies and shops were "disguised" as well as part of the village feel. It was luxurious, private and beautiful.

MUST DOs:

1. "The Blue Hole" The blue hole is on the Cap Cana property and they can take you there by buggy/cart or van at no charge. They drop you off on the path, you walk about 10 minutes into the jungle and you come up on a cave that is filled with cool fresh water, the bluest of blue in color! Its gorgeous!! They will come back to pick you up on the path in about 30-40 minutes... your request.

2. Juanillo Beach. The small beach in front of the pool at Sanctuary is OK, but not great. There was quite a bit of seaweed. To the left of the castle on the beach is Juanillo beach, technically a public beach, we saw maybe 15 people there at the most. The hotel will shuttle you there to their private cabana if you would like, however the walk from our room in the castle to the beach was 5 minutes tops. We went every day and noticed not many people took advantage of it - I have no idea why, it is one of the most beautiful beaches I have been to. You will walk past a public snack bar with some beach chairs, and one or two cabanas after that is the cabana owned by Sanctuary. The minute you arrive, the attendant will bring out beach chairs for you, and then he goes and chops down coconuts for you and slices them open for you to drink from. Most days, my husband and I were the only 2 people on the entire beach. Unbelievable!!

Enjoy! If you're contemplating, look no further.

On the day we were to depart, we were offered an airline voucher and another night in Punta Cana at a "5 star resort." We took it, hey, why not?! We stayed at NOW Larimar. It was obscene. We couldnt get a table for dinner, a drink by the pool, find a lounge chair anywhere. In fact, when we were standing in the pool, there were so many people we couldnt even find a part of the side of the pool to stand by. The beach was packed, dirty, and constantly had loud DJ cruises going by. Not our cup of tea!

Room Tip: Stay in the castle!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ddsduo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Our stay was fantastic! The staff were very friendly and helpful they made us feel like we lived there and had known each other for years. We stayed in an ocean front villa and it was absolutely gorgeous! The hotel grounds were beautifully maintained, saying it was a tropical oasis doesn't do it justice. The food was excellent! I don't think we have had red snapper or a steak that good here in the US ( and we have been to some great places! ) We can't wait to go back, they made our honeymoon absolutely perfect!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank NatalieM1188
Sausalito, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I planned the Sanctuary last on the trip hoping it would be the perfect end to a great vacation. If this had been the 1st stop on our vaca, I probably would have liked it more but my mistake may have been staying here after Zoetry.

When you arrive, the grounds are absolutely stunning. I cannot say enough about how beautiful the resort is. It looks like a small Mediterranean village. Everything is just so cute and charming. We got to our room and it wasn't anything to write home about. It definitely is in need of some updating. Note- the only free internet is plug-in, you have to pay extra for wireless. I am a big fan of slippers and robes and I was very disappointed in what was in the hotel. I encountered my 1st pair of unwearable slippers and a cheesy Hugh Hefner silk robe :-(. We enjoy watching TV at night to relax and the way the room is set up, the TV is in front of the couch and you cannot turn it towards the bed.

The pools are great and would probably be fun if there are other people there. When we went down the 1st day, there were 3 couples and 2 other guys...crickets. The beach was very disappointing. I can certainly understand seaweed and have no problem with that. It was the rockiness of it where you are unable to really swim or wade in it. The public one they will take you to is much better.

We really enjoyed all of the food and restaurants. The Blue Marlin is a great place to start the morning. The 1st morning it was a la carte but the next morning was much busier and it was a buffet. Both were fine by us. The mashed plantains are addicting so beware! Also loved the tempura shrimp "salad" at lunch. Really enjoyed all of our meals!

There is not much of a night scene here although we didn't mind. What we really loved were the games scattered on all the tables in the main lobby. We took a Scrabble game outside (it is too hot and many mosquitoes in the lobby) and played while watching a lightening storm. Perfect night for us!

Service was excellent everywhere. We just wish it wasn't such a ghost town although a wedding party was coming in when we left so it was getting busier. It is a beautiful property but one of the reasons I come to the Caribbean is to lay on the beach all day and this resort's beach just doesn't cut it.

11 Thank MissBabblicious
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Allow me to put to rest any rumors about this resort. It is spectacular. My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon, and we were treated like kings. I will be honest in this review, and as nit-picky as possible for those that love reading reviews. Here goes (beware -- it might be lengthy!):

Pre-departure:
I found out the room we booked, Honeymoon Suite w/ Pool (located in the Fortress), was not going to be available. How did I find out? I read reviews that said the Fortress was closed. NOT a great start to a honeymoon. I pulled the tax records and contacted the resort owners directly. I was not happy that I would have potentially shown up to the resort and been given a different room than what I booked... even if it was an upgrade!

The owners confirmed that the Fortress would indeed be closed during my travel dates. (I do not know if they contact their guests beforehand to tell them about this, as I contacted them myself about a month and a half in advance. That being said, they should if they do not.) Needless to say, I was not amused. However, the owners were very nice and assured me that I would be upgraded and taken care of. I balked that they seemed to not be receiving many guests and was wary that I would receive sub-par service given that a 400 suite resort was only going to be occupied by 20 or so couples. They assured me that I would receive the same attention to detail as any guest, but offered to cancel my reservation at no cost should I not be satisfied with the upgrade and their promise. I decided to take a chance -- they seemed genuinely interested in my satisfaction as a customer -- and told them that if they would send me a confirmation of all they had promised me in writing that I would keep my reservation and spend my honeymoon at their resort. They sent me everything in writing within 24 hours, and I kept my reservation. And I'm so glad I did.

Arrival:
You will arrive at Punta Cana airport, probably at the same time as 3 - 4 other aircraft. Though the customs line seems long, don't panic. It moves very quickly. Plus, here's a great tip: if you're traveling with your significant other, hold $20 in your hand and show it to one of the individuals that works at the airport. They'll take you to the front of the line to purchase your Tourist Card ($10pp) while everyone else is still wondering why they're standing in line and fishing around for $10 cash. You're welcome.

We booked an airport transfer to our resort thru the hotel. They were on-time and waiting for us with a sign, even though our flight time changed. It was excellent service. I would advise this over a cab. It costs $40 each way. It's about a 15-25 minute drive to the resort. When you arrive at the resort you are treated to a welcome cocktail and a cold towel infused with eucalyptus (we had several).

Our Room:
As promised, we were upgraded to the Royalty Villa. It was spectacular. There are only 5 in the entire resort, and located in the best locations. Ours was directly on the water, with our own private stairway to the ocean. The bathtub could sit 8 people, and has a panoramic view of the ocean. The living room is beautiful, with floor to ceiling glass windows. We had our own private pool on our patio -- big enough for 15 people. I'm wary of "private pools" as they are generally dirty and cold. I was pleasantly surprised that ours was regularly cleaned and was a perfect temperature. Our bedroom was excellent, with a massive king size bed, walk in closet and views of the ocean all around. In a word, it was paradise. Some days we simply stayed in our own little room -- like it's own private resort within the resort. The Royalty Villa also has a guest house with two double beds. Of course we didn't need it, but it was simply amazing to think that we had it if we wanted it. The guest house itself is beautiful to boot. I could go on and on about how amazing our room was, but suffice to say they delivered HUGE on the promised upgrade. We would have never been able to afford it.

The Resort:
The grounds and resort itself is exquisite. The attention to detail, stone work, and cleanliness truly speaks of a great original developer and a solid current owner. The architecture is magnificent, and there are a hundred little pathways to explore and get lost in, each covered in beautiful landscaping, flowers, etc.

I've read that people have complained about bugs and mosquitoes. I cannot remember encountering a single one. Maybe we got lucky? We packed bug spray expecting to fight off a horde of mosquitoes, and it stayed in our suitcase the entire trip. No bugs, just a few friendly crabs.

The Pool:
The pool is great fun! You'll meet so many great people, and the pool bar staff are always attentive to your needs. I often had another drink made for me before I even asked. Carlos (the main bartender) is always telling jokes and calling you "my brother" as you walk by. The ONLY negative I have is that the "entertainment team" shows up at the main pool around 11:30am each day to try and get guests involved in games and music. Most of us found this more of a nuisance than anything else, but there are 2 other smaller pools nearby to relax at if you find it too much a problem. We partook in the game one day which involved having guests make their own drinks with the resort's top shelf liquor. It was fun until we were wondering how we made it back to our room. That memory is still hazy!

The Food:
Since we traveled in low season and due to the lack of guests, they typically only have one of their 6 restaurant open at any given time during the day. This really isn't that bad. Breakfast and Lunch are usually the same -- whether you're in Jamaica, Cabo San Lucas, or the Dominican, you can expect a hearty breakfast and lunch menu regardless. However, they did a great job offering variation at dinner. Even though only one restaurant would be open, they would have a sub menu from one of their other restaurants so you could order Italian food or Asian food as well. All of the food we had was delicious. The Surf & Turf at the Blue Marlin was fantastic, and the Molten Chocolate Cake was spectacular. We LOVED the food -- above average for an all inclusive. Remember to order your meat Media Rojo if you like your steak medium rare. Sometimes it might get lost in translation, so use your Spanish!

The Service:
As I said, I was wary of the service before arriving due to the low amount of guests. But the service was spectacular. The whole team goes out of their way to ensure your every need is met, and they do not wait around expecting a tip. Room service always made us a "towel animal" and they delivered a condensed newspaper and resort newsletter each day to the room with a suggested "drink of the day." The waiters were excellent, and even the transportation team that drove us over to the Fishing Lodge (the sister resort) was great! The service could not have been better, and it was the little things like having our bath tub filled with bubbles and flowers while we were out to dinner that set it apart from other resorts.

The Beach:
The water truly was fantastic. The colors changed magnificently, and the water was shallow enough to stand in for a good 20 yards. The beach at the actual resort is much smaller than expected, and the seaweed is an ever present issue. As other reviews will indicate, they've hired a team to come out every day and rake up as much as they can. We always felt bad for those poor guys. There is nothing about the beach to brag about. It's not amazingly pretty, it's small, and rocky at points. The truth? I thought I would be more disappointed about the beach than I actually was. We only laid out at the actual beach one day. The rest of the time we enjoyed hanging by the pool or laying out on our room's porch. There is a "public" beach just next to the resort that is much, much bigger. They offer a complimentary shuttle to it anytime for their guests (even though it's about a 15 minute walk), but we never felt an urge to go. It looked great, but we didn't care. We were having too much fun and were far to relaxed by everything else to bother going. Bottom line: resort beach isn't great, but it didn't matter.

The Spa:
Typical resort spa. We got a couples massage, and it was great. Everything is overpriced, but you should expect that at ANY all inclusive resort spa. The staff there was very attentive, and our massage was really good.

Conclusion:
To sum it up, I felt like I received much more value than what I paid for. The resort was picturesque, the staff excellent, the food delicious, the room amazing, and the ocean beautiful. I really could not have asked for more. Are there a few negatives? Absolutely, but EVERY resort in the world will have at least one or two things that are sub-par. We're human after all, and we will critique perfection until perfection loses confidence in itself. My wife and I are definitely looking forward to going back someday. And even though I know there is not a chance we'll stay in the same room we had (there's no way we could afford it ourselves), I know that we would still have the same great experience in their most basic room. It feels good when you spend a lot of money on a trip, and the trip delivers. And that's exactly how I felt about this resort!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing. If you can afford it, the Villas are spectacular. But even a regular room...
17 Thank acd87
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

All the past reviews are correct. Sanctuary Cap Cana is quite possibly one of the best hotel resort experiences I've ever had. Some quick bullets:

- The service here is stupendous and very warm. You get the feeling the service staff here really enjoy their job and the social interaction with guests.

- Sanctuary sits behind a protected cove, with immediate beachfront facing clear turquoise and blue water.

- The hotel prohibits water sports and motorized water sports so you don't get annoying Mexico-style drunk jet skiers and speedboaters all over the place. Its very peaceful and quiet

- Highly recommend going on the shoulder seasons (July-Nov or March- May). The weather's better and occupancy rates are much lower- like 30%. It is VERY quiet and romantic....and the hotel really is built for honeymooners.

- Also, huge recommend on the spa. Its not cheap (around $120 for a single 50 min massage)

- On the off seasons, the only downside is that many of the restaurants close. You do wind up getting herded to the beachfront dining area for breakfast and lunch (The Blue Marlin) and to the Steakhouse for dinner. If the Blue Marlin just got a better chef, it would be spectacular. Views here are out of this world.

- If you can, rent a car for a day to see some of the beautiful spots up in Punta Cana, Bavaro and of course beautiful Macao Beach (about 1 hour north). You get a taste for the local life, and don't pay hotel prices for food. Like nearly all resorts, Sanctuary is well away from a shopping district, so your mobility options are pretty limited without a car.

- The hotel does operate a free shuttle to anywhere in the resort area of Cap Cana (which is NOT part of Punta Cana- its its own little resort enclave). Ask front desk for a map. There is a daily free bus to Punta Cana village around 10:30am for about 2 hours. Punta Cana Village does have some great restaurants. Punta Cana and outside requires a taxi for a minimum of $30 one way.

- Walking distance to the right of the hotel entrance is Juanillo Beach. This is a must see. The restaurant Juanillo Beach is possibly one of the best gourmet style restaurants you'll see disguised as a beach shack. The prices are quite reasonable too.

13 Thank guerillatraveler75