“Wonderful Destination Wedding Location”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #40 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Marietta, Georgia
“Wonderful Destination Wedding Location”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

My son and daughter-in-law chose this beautiful property for their wedding and it was perfect in every way. The staff was great and the villa's were amazing - I felt as if I had my own apartment with a great space to entertain in my room along with a beautiful deck overlooking the ocean with tons of privacy. The Castle location for the wedding and reception were amazing and the rooms with private pools were awesome. The entire wedding party (32) enjoyed anywhere from 3 to 7 days on the property...the food was very good in the restaurants and room service was very nice as well.

The only missing element was the quality of the nightlife...we had our own party going however, had I not been part of the wedding party I would have been disappointed in the options.

It is definitely a destination worth revisiting!

“secrets sanctuary cap cano dominican republic”

Room Tip: Request one of the Villas if you like extra space - they are further away from the main activities b...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cooke29
SalamanderHotelsPR, Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
We are thankful for the time that you have taken to extend to us your comment; it’s of great value to us to learn about your stay. Our weddings specialists at Sanctuary Cap Cana are devoted to create our bride and groom's most precious memories and make the most out of their greatest day. Thank you for adding the detail on night activities, I can tell you now that we will soon be reinforcing the night life activities on property to offer a more attractive program to our guests. I truly hope that this good experience was lived by all of the family members who stayed with us. At Sanctuary Cap Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal. We look forward to coordinating a family “get together” for the first year anniversary of your son and daughter in law.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,284)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I began thinking of what I would write on tripadvisor the minute I stepped foot on the property. Honestly, I was blown away. The property gives you the impression upon first looks that it is small and quaint but, it is nothing of the sort. The grounds are expansive and yet private, the vegetation - lush and well maintained and the staff; nothing short of amazing. Everyone is always smiling and ready to help. We were actually quite impressed with the level of spoken English by the entire staff. The style of architecture is very appealing and the different decors made us feel that we were in our own world - a mixture of European flair with the Caribbean relaxed way of life. We traveled during the holidays and the resort felt very off the beaten track -- which we loved. We took the all inclusive package and thought that the food was of good quality but, with somewhat limited choices and after several days, became slightly redundant. That is absolutely not to say that the food was not enjoyed by all - on the contrary. We were there for New Years Eve and dined at the Blue Marlin for their specially prepared dinner. It was phenomenal - and we were sure to mention that to Chef!

There were very few negatives to our stay although, I understand what another reviewer said about tipping. We did not realize until the last day that we may have been expected to tip before, during, after - every meal and service although, after a $800+ payment for room accommodation per night, we felt that we had paid sufficiently. Still, there was a sense of awkwardness when the bill came and the servers looked for their tip after signature. Next time we will be more aware and prepared.

Another negative - the Fishing Lodge next door. From our understanding, the Fishing Lodge is a newer property which has not yet been completed. Therefore, all the guests who had paid a quarter of the price for their accommodations and were frustrated at the lack of staff and restaurants on their property, had full range of the Sanctuary, the private beach and their services. This became a little frustrating during the day when you couldn't stand on the terrace to wait for a taxi because there were dozens of guests waiting for their shuttle with their beach bags and gear like vagabonds or simply not being able to get a seat at the Blue Marlin because guests from outside the hotel were dining there. I am unsure if this will continue once the Fishing Lodge has been completed but, it definitely took away a little bit of the exclusivity of the property.

The private beach is small but beautiful. The color of the water is gorgeous and there are just a few calm ripples - they are not even large enough to call waves. The Bavaro beach water along Coral beach is more elaborate in it's colors and shades of blue but, if all you are looking for is a little dip in the water or an ocean view to look at while you sip a margarita... the Sanctuary is definitely the place to be. We went for a walk along the public beach right next door and it was completely void of tourists and locals. We felt like the entire beach belonged to us.

A favorite place of ours was the Blue Marlin. The view was sensational and the relaxed vibe was intoxicating. After taking many many photos of the water and the restaurant itself, I now have a new screen saver. It is the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing I see at night. That alone justified our vacation to the Sanctuary! If you go -- you will know what I mean...

Aside from the small details of the above - we really enjoyed our stay. We were all sad to leave and will probably return again. I would recommend this property to others.

Room Tip: You can pay for a standard room and upgrade to a different category upon arrival which may be less e...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank peppermintpatty07
Thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana, as we are deeply committed to not only meeting but exceeding guests expectations, your opinion is very important to us. We are delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return. We are glad to see that you appreciate our featuring architecturally stunning designs that reflect both Caribbean and European influences.
Your comment on the Fishing Lodge guests on property is being considered by all of us and we can assure you that we are concentrating our efforts to complete and provide all our FL guests the amenities and features that we advertise. We are happy to hear that one of your favorite spots was the architecturally stunning Blue Marlin restaurant. I have to confess that my desktop background is also a picture of the Blue Marlin. We look forward to hosting you again at Sanctuary Cap Cana for another wonderful stay with us.
ohio
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed at Sanctuary Dec 19-26 and overall it was great. The head concierge, Jarlin Gonzalez, was absolutely wonderful and went out of her way to make everything perfect. She even added several unexpected surprises for my husband's birthday and our anniversary!

Overall - The grounds are gorgeous, the staff is extremely friendly and the food is great. Even though it is an all inclusive, even small tips go a long way! Despite other reviews, we never saw a big sea grass problem on the beach - and there were people cleaning it up everyday.

Food - We thought the food was great! Over 7 days, we found our favorites and go-to items, but didn't really get tired of the options. We had an absolutely amazing private dinner in the Blue Marlin palapa. It was just us, a table in the center, candles, the sound of the ocean and an wonderful 4-course dinner (special menu from the standard Blue Marlin menu). Rooms service was a little inconsistent and we would have liked to see a few more options on the "late" menu.

Entertainment - The nightly shows in the Love Bar were a lot of fun - not big budget productions,but still fun. The Entertainment Staff was great - especially Willy Wonka, Eddie Murphy and Mickey Mouse. It seems like they were always working - with huge smiles and getting people to have a great time!

Pools - very nice and very clean. Please note that none of the pools are heated (includes room pools), so the water was pretty chilly. There were very few people that actually got in the pools (or the ocean) due to the temperature. Unfortunately, the pool at our room was too cold to dip a toe in - but it was nice to look at! I'm sure this isn't an issue in the summer, but if you're expecting warm water in the winter, you may not get it (air temperature was about 82 each day). There are also no hot tubs at the resort, including at the spa.

Room - We were in 3038, which was amazing! It is on the corner of the fortress and is completely private. It is 2 floors (a loft) with a wall of windows, so you can wake up and see the ocean. There are 2 bathrooms, a large wet bar and 2 balconies - 1 with the pool and the other off the bedroom area on the 2nd floor. We brought along some dryer sheets and plug-in air freshener and that pretty much took care of the slight musty smell (most tropical locations are going to have a musty smell). We saw some other rooms, which were very nice as well.

Kids - Sanctuary started allowing kids in early December, so there weren't too many there during the start of our stay and those that were there were pretty well behaved. Towards the end, there were quite a few (ranging from infants to teenagers). Personally, I don't think this hotel is set-up to accommodate kids - from the size of the resort, activities, pools and even the food options. On our last morning, there were a lot of kids at the pool who were playing on the rafts and pretty noisy (just being kids), which is fine, but not what we were looking for on this trip. Maybe there were more there because of the time of year, but I think this would be the one factor that would prevent us from returning. I hate to say that, but it completely changed the experience! Hopefully Sanctuary will figure out a way to create a kids area and activities that will allow adults to enjoy some quiet time.

Activities - We set-up horseback riding through the concierge desk and it was a lot of fun. I was worried about the condition of the horses, but to my surprise, they were well cared for and well fed (no bones sticking out). It was about an hour and we rode on the public beach and then back in some woods.

Overall, we loved Sanctuary and would absolutely recommend staying there. Just know that there will be kids at this fairly small resort that may interfere with the peace and quiet you may be seeking.

Room Tip: 3038 was fantastic. 3047 has a huge deck and is very nice too.
4 Thank lschifrin
Thank you so much for staying with us here at Sanctuary Cap Cana. We’re glad you enjoyed your trip to Punta Cana and got to know our very attentive and friendly staff! Jarlin was delighted to see such a nice comment of her here as she is always prompt for details to greet our guests. We're so glad you both enjoyed your anniversary and that your husband's birthday was memorable. We highly appreciate that and took advantage of all that Sanctuary Cap Cana has to offer. We can't thank you enough for such clearly detailed review and for your kind recommendation to other reviewers. Jarlin and the rest of us will wait to celebrate this year's holidays with you both again.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We had one of our best vacations here. Not only because of the beautiful resort & great weather but the staff there was over the top!!!!! They made our trip one of the best.
I want to send a great big thank you to Maria Louisa with helping me freshen up on my Spanish along with Rocky Balboa, Eddie Murphy, Willie Wanka for keeping us active in all kinds of fun sports and games and just being genuinely friendly and fun!!!!! Also thanks to our bartenders Carlos Santana, Johnny Walker and also to Domingo, Baby Ruth & Kayla. I love the way they used Catchy fun names to help remember them as well as for them and other guests to remember me, they call me Victoria Secrets (Vicki). Everyone at the restaurants, lobby and golf cart drivers were awesome too!!!!
Thanks again what a great crew of people you have. We will be back and hope to see everyone again..

Room Tip: I think there isn't a bad room at the place but we stayed in the Castle and it was a great locat...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vicki W
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I have just returned from secrets sanctuary cap cano hotel after spending 10 nights all inclusive
This hotel have got some negative reports of the past I can only say that my husband and I had
a wonderful time there we did change room because we felt the room we were given didnt have such a great view the room the new room we were given was absolutly fantastic withswim out pool.
the staff were so attentive always willing to help in particular Chantal who went out of her way
to help us all the girls in corceige were great in the marlin restuarant Ivan and Randel stood out
ave to mention miami he was so funny and always had a smile
all the restuarants were good but we particularly loved the wok
Dont know where to begin with Henry the General Manager he couldnt do enough for us I have travelled considerable and I have never been in a hotel where the GM works so hard
cant recommend this hotel highly enough

Room Tip: conferance centre really a sanctuary
2 Thank janetbutterfly50
SalamanderHotelsPR, Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. On behalf of Hendrick Santos our Managing Director and the whole Sanctuary Cap Cana family, we want to thank you in a very special way for all your kind compliments. We look forward to greeting you and your husband again soon. "Hasta Pronto".
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Not sure how this place got such great reviews? When we arrived our room was musty smelling. And it stayed musty the entire trip. We ran out of toilet paper, asked for more, never got any, complained a bit louder, finally got a single role. We ran out of towels (we were only using one a day, which was taken away and not replaced) ran out of wash clothes, each time we spent at least an hour asking, begging, arguing, for replacements. Very frustrating! I could have lived with that. The resort itself is nice and the grounds were very pretty. What drove us NUTS was the fact that it was "all inclusive" but everyone expected a tip, including the people that sat us at dinner. I wish this was specified somewhere because we did not come with small bills for tipping. There were even signs in our room that said no tipping but at every turn, someone was expecting it (bar, restaurant, everywhere) It sucks to be taken unaware like that, it made us very uncomfortable. I also found that the employees pushed purchased items constantly. Bottles of wine, souviners, trinkets. Again, very uncomfortable. Although the resort was nice the condition of the room and the service would deter me from ever going back there.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Kay J
We are sorry to hear about your inconveniences during your April stay, and we greatly appreciate your comments here. We are happy that you have spoken up so that we may better our property. Sanctuary Cap Cana is now part of Salamander’s exciting new Grand Resorts at Cap Cana collection and we ensure you that we will all be working diligently, to make your stays much more enjoyable in the future.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Empezamos con una sorpresa al llegar. Habíamos contratado una suite con vista al océano por USD 850 (all inclusive). No nos agradó la ubicación y pedimos ver otras alternativas.
The first surprise we had was at our arrival. We have hired an ocean view suite for USD 850/day (all inclusive). So we decided to choose for a superior room by paying USD 175 /dat in addition and we made a big mistake.
It's a very large cabin on the beach with significant and awful construction problems, water leaking in the dressing, the bedroom curtain old and broken and the furniture of a 2 stars hotel...
It's very difficult to know what you hire, considering this hotel has 14 different level of fares.
Don't expect to get internet conection (except in the public areas) with a very low signal.
The restaurants (all of them with bad quality offer) is really very bad.
The disorganization is complete. We spent some nights waiting more than one hour and a half to get a table to have dinner.
Relation between price and quality is TERRIBLE.
The only thing we could rescue in this hotel was the good will and good manners of the personnel.
Advice: Forget to hire this hotel.

Room Tip: If the most expensive suite is a mess (on the beach), there is no possibilities to give a tip for fu...
8 Thank Liliana S
Gracias por su valioso comentario and for expressing your concerns regarding your past stay with us. We know that you have numerous options to select from and we appreciate you choosing to stay with us. I would like to apologize for the several inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us and at the same time thank you for your recognizing the good work that our staff does. We hope that you will come back and stay with us soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!