“Excellent in every sense of the word. We can't wait to go back!!”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #41 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent in every sense of the word. We can't wait to go back!!”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was my first trip to Secrets Sanctuary. I saw the pictures on the website and had heard how beautiful the grounds were but I was totally blown away when I arrived. Just minutes from the airport, the views, sandy beaches, and accommodations were absolutely spectacular. The service we received from the hosts in each of the all - inclusive restaurants to the entertainment at night was outstanding! A very special thank you to head concierge Kary Gomez who went out of her way to make sure this was a trip we would never forget!

If you want to get away to a true tropical paradise then escape to Secrets Sanctuary today! Take advantage of all this beautiful resort has to offer from a variety of fun excursions, calming spa services, and the best golfing you'll find anywhere! If you want to just chill by the pool with music and a pina colada, you can do that too. We certainly did! I also took advantage of yoga class each morning (Manda -- you're the best) and poolside Spanish lessons each day.

We're already looking to book another trip back to Secrets as soon as possible!!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the Castle suites which offer spectacular views of the ocean and an indoor pool!
4 Thank Nikel C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,228)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Firstly let me apologise about the length of this review as I will try and include as much detail as possible. I will try and split this into sections to make this easier. I have to say that this in some ways has been the hardest review to write. I don't think I have been able to sum up in even the length of this review about how special we think this resort is and how much we want to return. I do hope I have managed to do this justice though.

This is my 1st stay here, we stayed for 4 nights, this was the 3rd hotel in a tour of 3 that we did over a 2 week period. We checked in on the 21st of June after leaving Dreams Punta Cana.
Transfer
We transferred from Dreams Punta Cana to Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana. It was an easy transfer of about 1 hour.
The 1st thing I can say about this place is WOW! As soon as I saw it I was like an excited child. It was stunning. I had completed lots and lots of research, seen 100s of photos but being here for real took my breath away. It was out of this world.
Check In/Out
As we were in a private taxi it was only us checking in. We had arrived early, about 2.30 the room was ready but before we headed there Kary came and greeted us. She showed us a quick tour around. And made us feel very welcome straight away. It was great to meet her after having emailed her before we left. She told us we would love our room and might not want to leave it…she was right and I’ll come to that. There is a golf buggy transfer from the lobby to the fortress or it is a quick 5 to 10 minute walk. With it being out 1st day we got the transfer.
Check out was easy, we had arranged for our bags to be collected and then got a buggy to the lobby. I was so sad to leave that day. It had been a trip of a life time and definitely had ended on a high.
Room
We were in room 3040, I’d emailed before to ask for room with a view and WOW this couldn’t have been any better. Kary was right as soon as I saw it I didn’t want to leave. Words alone can’t describe this room so please check out my photos. It was a honeymoon suite with a pool. And it was HUGE. The massive bed, the big living are, the huge bathroom with separate bath and shower and double sinks. And then there was the balcony, about the same size as the bedroom and living area together, with an amazing pool 2 sun loungers and a shaded area with a table and 2 chairs. We spent hours by our pool every day, I didn’t even want to put on my ipod as the stillness of everything was wonderful and I wanted to enjoy it. It was just perfect.
There was a good supply of toiletries in the bathroom, a great mini bar with Fanta, sprite, coke, coke zero, water, juices and some beers. There was a great espresso machine which a couple of coffee shots, the 1st day I left a note and tip asking for “mucho café” and they happily obliged.
There was a great walk in closet for cloth storage. The safe is free and we made sure we locked everything valuable away; we always do this just for our peace of mind. Maid service was always excellent as was turn down service; I love the nice petal and rose touches they did at night.
We had a fruit platter and a bottle of champagne delivered to us, which to celebrate having arrived in paradise we enjoyed on our balcony. The view from that was out of this world.
The Grounds
This deserves its own section; the attention to detail here is phenomenal. I have never been to a hotel that is so stunning that no matter where you turn there is something else that takes your breath away. The fortress area with a water fall in the middle, art pieces around every corner, the shopping area, lobby and steak house which feels like you have stepped into Italy. Then the more tropical feel as you head towards Trump beach. I recommend taking the time out to walk around and explore there is so much to see. The crab pool is a must see.
I’ll only cover off the options that I actually tried here, however there are different options as well such as pool service for food and the Italian which we didn’t try.
Breakfast
Casabella – Buffet and A la Carte option
This was a great place to enjoy breakfast. They have takeaway coffees here as well as being able to sit down for breakfast. I enjoyed the buffet but you could also choose to have dishes cooked as you wished. It was nice to sit outside here and enjoy the morning sun.
Room Service
This was fantastic for breakfast we ordered this twice. Enjoying a cooked and continental style option. As it was our anniversary we were given a champagne breakfast which we ordered from the concierge at the lobby. I recommend ordering this early if you can or you might have to go for a different day or time than you initially want. It was a brilliant champagne breakfast though and a fantastic way to start the day.
Lunch
Casabella - Buffett
Great choice here and it was brilliant to have something light before our trip to the airport.
Blue Marlin
My favourite spot for lunch, service was great and the food was fantastic, the crab cakes are a must try. You get a beautiful breeze from the sea sitting here. I love the fact that the menu changes from lunch to dinner later on as well. We met some guests who didn’t know that so they’d missed out on trying here at night time, please go its worth trying.
Dinner
The restaurants are on a rotation basis but there are copy’s of what the rota is around the resort, outside the steakhouse, fortress and near the reception are a couple I can remember.
Room Service
As we were in awe of our room we choose to enjoy dinner on the balcony the 1st night. There is a great room service menu with a wide range of options. It did take longer than they had said but it was worth the wait.
Steak House
I was really looking forward to trying here after reading so many great reviews but I think we got it on a slightly off night. How they seated people was a little strange with everyone getting shown to one small section. It would have been nicer to have been more spread out until it filled up. There were lots of different waiters serving us, our orders got mixed up with the steaks cooked the wrong way round and sides mixed up. The steak was ok but not the best we had this trip. Hubby tried the 3 sausage starter and WOW that is a huge starter. I asked to check if the brownie had nuts in it, I’m not allergic just don’t like them, luckily, the waiter tried to check with a couple of people then without getting an answer said it didn’t and took my order….it did have nuts, the ice cream that came with it was ok though.
Blue Marlin
Brilliant setting for having evening meal and enjoy the sun set. It was beautiful. One of the best starters of the holiday was the seafood trio, the lobster cake was fantastic and I could have eaten more of them. I had the paella and hubby the lobster. I finished with the chocolate fondue which was also the best desert of the trip. It was great watch the sky turn different shade of purple and red and the sun went down and the lights under the blue marlin and the romantic dinner spot were beautiful.
Wok
This surprisingly for us was our favourite here, I say surprisingly as we are not usually sushi fans however this was great. As choose to sit outside and not at the show tables. We asked for a sushi platter to share then for me spring rolls and hubby won ton soup followed by stir fry for us both. We really enjoyed these and when I do go back here I will be eating here more than just the once.
Bars
We didn’t drink at the swim up or at the blue marlin bar so I will just report on the rest.
Love Bar – at the lobby
Great barman here, I think it was Javier (but I lost all the names I wrote down sorry). He was fantastic. Again the attention to detail is beautiful, it is a church style and during the day nice and cool. We often sat outside here, by the top pool and there was no one else around. It felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. The other outside area is also nice, one night we sat here and it feels like an Italian courtyard.
At night the entertainment happens in the Love Bar or on the terrance by the love bar. We were early risers early back at the room so all we saw was the piano player one night. Which was still a lovely touch.

Ocean Club Bar – in the fortress
This was a great place to have a drink during the day or on an evening. It was quiet but you always got talking to the same people here and the bar staff. My husband enjoyed watching the tennis here, as Wimbledon was on, while I lazed by our pool in peace and quiet.
Pools
There are 4 pools in total, the Ocean Club pool, the swim up bar pool, a pool outside the love bar at the top of a waterfall and then a lower pool. We always saw plenty of seats at the Ocean club pool. We never saw anyone at the upper pool, so not sure if it is really used. The swim up bar pool did seem the busiest but I’m not sure what time all chairs are taken by.
With only 4 nights and our own amazing pool we didn’t use any of the others.
Entertainment
The team are amazing, always walking around with a smile on their faces. They start early and always say hello as they walk through. They are never pushy though at trying to get you to join in. Everyone down by the swim up bar seemed to be having fun though.
Beach
The resort beach it’s self is quite small and with only a little shade. However it did look very nice. We are not beach people so didn’t spend much time here. There are 2 great beaches either side of the resort though and some of the rooms looked as if they actually walked out on to the start of trump beach.
Other information and tips
There is an internet cable in your room; there is no wifi in the rooms. There was wifi around the resort and found good signals at the love bar and ocean bar.
Please tip if you can afford it and if you feel the service deserves it. Tipping for us didn’t give us better service but rewarded good and great service.
VIP/Unlimited Vacation employees – yes they do look like the staff, you can see on their badge that they work for unlimited vacations though. Even though I knew about them and had spotted them at both dreams resorts it wasn’t so easy here. It was only after talking to one person for a while that I was able to work it out. He was not pushy at all though, was very nice in fact.
Vendors - A quick no thank-you and continuing to walk on worked great. Generally we don’t make eye contact or look at the stalls and this works, we are not rude just firm in our response. We never felt hassled or that we had to change our route.
I would like to say a massive thank-you to Kary and Marco, it was a pleasure to meet you and I am so happy that the hard work you are putting into here has been paying off. You truly have an amazing resort here and it has definitely jumped to my number 1 hotel. There are other staff I wanted to thank as well but I have unfortunately lost my contact names I wrote down. There was a barman who would cover at Ocean Club I think his name was something like Browlon (bad spelling I’m sorry) as well as all the other staff at the hotel, you are all amazing and I am constantly day dreaming about returning.
I can only upload one photo so to see 100s of pictures and for more information please feel free to contact through a PM or check out my personal blog at
mysecretdominicandream.wordpress.com

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank leipere
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Superb luxury hotel in the fabulous Cap Cana resort. You really could not fault anything at this place, it is superb. Absolutely beautiful. The only downfall is that it is VERY expensive

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Donstallione
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This resort was top notch in every sense of the word. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. The staff was very attentive, the facilities were gorgeous, and the food was great. We actually got married at the resort and the ceremony they put together for us was beautiful. We cannot wait to go back for our anniversary trip.

4 Thank Meganand22
Wheeling, West Virginia
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My husband and I were looking for a quiet and romantic place to spend our 10th anniversary. We researched a number of locations and resorts, and Secrets Sanctuary seemed to have all that we were looking for: beauty, tranquility, relaxation, romantic accommodations and delicious dining options. We were looking for something small and removed, yet we didn't want to get bored. Secrets Sanctuary surprised us and was even more than we had planned!

Before we even went, I had emailed Marco Pena (because I had seen him on this website which was my Bible for really figuring out the pros and cons of different resorts) and asked him some questions. Within days, I received an email with the information I had requested and he even took the time to look at our reservation and filled me in on some perks that I didn't know we had. I already knew at that point that I wasn't going to have any complaints about customer service!

First of all, I must say that if you are looking for constant activity options and a "nightlife" kind of place, this is not it. If you are a couple looking for romance and a quiet place to re-group and relax, then keep reading :-)

When we walked in, we were greeted by bellboys who took our bags and a welcome crew who immediately gave us ice cold towels and drinks of the day. We checked in, but our room was not going to be ready for another hour (still 3 hours before check-in time), so another staff member offered to show us around the resort and lead us to lunch. We soon learned this friendly atmosphere would last the entire trip as we never passed an employee who didn't greet us with a hello :-) I hadn't even seen beyond the entry area and I was already hooked by the kindness and outgoing spirit of the staff! Actually seeing the grounds only took our breath away! The foliage and stone work was perfect and really made this resort into a Spanish Village. It was perfectly groomed and always clean. I don't think I ever saw a single piece of litter in our entire week. The main pool, waterfall pool and infinity pool are just gorgeous and are kept at perfect temperatures. We spend nearly all of our time in the main pool because of the bar. I'm not sure if it was just our timing, but we were never without lounge chairs or a raft to lazily float the day away. There were never more than 25 people in the pool... I would definitely go at this time of year again for that reason!

Our room was perfect. We just got the "basic" room but it was very comfortable and pretty and it seemed anything but "basic." Our fridge was always stocked, our amenities were plenty and the space was more than enough with a nice walk in closet, a big bathroom, a comfy king size bed with lots of pillows and a cozy comforter, a living room area and a huge balcony overlooking the main plaza, gardens pools and the ocean. The view was amazing!!!!

There were just enough activities to keep me from sitting around all day. Though we didn't do any excursions, we found that those who did them through the Apple rep's suggestions came back talking about them very positively. That being said, we may not have left the resort, but we weren't bored by any means. When we weren't busy relaxing, they had daily spanish lessons, special lessons (including merengue, salsa, cocktail and fruit carving), and some fun activities to get you up and moving (beach volleyball, bocce ball, ping pong, beer pong, morning stretching, daily walks and twice daily zumba in the pool). The entertainment team was outgoing and friendly and tried to get everyone involved. Hello to Frank the Tank, Mickey Mouse and Willy Wonka!

The restaurants were cozy and romantic and the service there was impeccable. There was one lady who was the maitre d for several of our meals... She took the time to learn our names and always asked how our vacation was going and if there was anything we needed. The food was outstanding and we never had a meal we didn't like. We got to try every restaurant, but my only regret was not going to Blue Marlin for dinner. I especially recommend Cappricio. The foods melted in your mouth and we never walked away hungry! In fact, the last night, my husband and I couldn't decide on what we wanted since everything we tried there was so good so we ended up with 4 dinners between the two of us! The mushroom risotto is a must try :-) Breakfast at Casa Bella was wonderful as well. We ordered Eggs Benedict and they had a wide variety of pastries, fruits, and local foods for the tasting. My husband especially liked the waffle and omelette station :-)

The spa was a hidden gem. We bought the 4-pack massage bar and split the package between us. We each got a swedish massage the first trip and then I got an aromatherapy massage and he got a deep tissue. Mine were easily among the best I had ever had. They were very careful to keep as peaceful of an atmosphere as they could and I came out feeling like a new person. The second set, we went early and did their hydrotherapy circuit which is posted on the wall by their plunge pools. I definitely recommend this before any massage treatment! It wakes up your muscles and allows for the full effects of a massage!

I must say, as beautiful as this resort was, as yummy as the food was, as breathtaking as the pools were and as relaxing as the spa was, nothing impressed me more than how the staff worked together and worked hard to ensure the quality of their resort. The bar team, the restaurant teams, the hospitality teams and the entertainment team worked together as one fluid family and sincerely took care of every detail. One prime example was this: I noticed on reviews that many of the resorts in the area were having trouble with seaweed coming in because of storms that loosened it all up. Sanctuary was no exception. However, there was NEVER a time when I didn't see employees out on the beach trying to keep up with the waves of it that came in. They went from pitchforks and wheelbarrows to front loaders, but it just kept coming in. On Friday, one of the ladies who had also been there that week came over and said to come over to the beach-- we had to see this! There were over 30 employees-- some in work clothes, some in office clothes, even the entertainment team was out there!!!-- out there with boots and gloves on loading huge garbage bags full of seaweed onto a big dump truck. By that afternoon, Secrets Sanctuary guests had a beautiful, clean beach to lounge on and an ocean they could swim in. The teamwork was not only impressive, but it was a moment that showcased the levels the resort team would go to so their guests could enjoy themselves.

I could honestly go on and on about this resort and relive my vacation over and over. My husband, who went into this thinking it was a one time deal, spent a good amount time as we floated around the pool talking about how we were going to be saving up to come again and when :-) So, to sum it up, if you are a couple seeking romance, tranquility and a place to TRULY get away from it all, you will NOT be disappointed with Secrets Sanctuary! We can't wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: 3030 has AMAZING panoramic views of the property and ocean!!!!!
1 Thank Jen C
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I can't even begin to explain the experience. The food was fantastic, the room was beautiful, as was the entire facility. I think, though, the best part was the staff. After about one day we felt as though we were with a large group of friends. Oh, that sounds weak, I really can't explain how wonderful the staff was. I had several "favorites" but have to say that Luz really topped the list.
I've been trying to convey to my staff what a fantastic and relaxing time we had, but just don't have the words. I guess you'll have to see for yourselves!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank snarfoo
New Jersey
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The property is beautiful and well kept. The room was nice with great maid service. Some days she left petals on the bed and lit the incense. One day the toilet overflowed and they came right away, but a maid on her way home dropped her bags and came in to help. The service is really terrific. One night we had a lizard in our room and they came right away and helped search the room. It's a good idea to roll up a towel and put it up against the bottom of the door. We did find him hiding behind the molding around the door. Sprayed him with hairspray then kicked him out the door. The beach was clean and the water was just beautiful. When we first arrived the ocean and beach had tons of seaweed where we couldn't even get into the water. They said it was from a tropical wave plus It rained many days before we got there. They hand cleaned the seaweed off the beach. A few days we headed to the pool because my boyfriend couldn't stand how slow they worked. They were getting on his nerves. The service on the beach was terrible. In our 9 day stay, she (I called her Prima Donna) only came over to us 3 times. She was busy talking to the spa girls that hang by the entrance to the beach. We went up and got our own drinks and food. The pool service was fantastic. The guys were so nice and so attentive to everyone's needs. The service at the quiet pool was also exceptional. They need to get more rafts for the pool. I couldn't believe how grown people were stealing rafts right out from others and even rolling them up and hiding them under their lounge chairs. Getting more rafts would solve that problem. The food was exceptional in all the restaurants. There is such a variety of great food that no one should have a complaint. My favorite was the steak house even though I don't eat meat. The fish was great, the service was great and just liked the atmosphere in that restaurant. They have 2 guys that go restaurant to restaurant that sing and they are very good. If you eat outside make sure you use bug spray. Go to the buffet on international night, the food and entertainment was great. They have vendors around the pool at different times and the prices are outrageous. They know you probably won't leave the grounds to shop so they really try to take you over. The shops that are on the premises also are very over priced, so be careful. They have no books in the shops, so bring enough to read for your stay. The one shop with the cigars and Mama Juana, the owner will quote you an outrageous price, don't pay it, if you really want it, bargain with him. He gave me a headache, I walked out of the store. A girl bought a cigar for 100.00, her husband went back to get the money back, it got real loud. If you want to print out your boarding pass or confirm your flight before leaving, there is only one computer in the little store. It is very,
very slow, took me 40 minutes. One more thing, the concierge sent us on a shopping trip that got cancelled because the town people were demonstrating and no one told us. We got in the van with other couples and they took us to a marina. There is hardly any stores there and they were also not open. After a few phone calls they finally came back to get us. So, don't go to the Marina, that wasted a half day. Other than a few little things, the vacation was great, most of the service was great, food was fantastic, check out was easy, transportation to the airport was on time, suitcase pickup was on time and we met some fantastic people. Wireless is free in all the lounges and bars. Ipad fits in the safe in your room. Best tip: get the grouper at the Blue Marlin for lunch, and a Miami Vice to drink on the beach. Fantastic!
One more thing, entertainment every night at 9:45. Good variety of shows but if it rains they bring the shows into the bar which only seats about 45 people. They show a movie every night outside the lobby. Again, if it rains they cancel.

Room Tip: We booked late so we were all the way in the back by the lobby. It doesn't bother us, you only s...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 111 in Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,238 reviews

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!