“"Unbelievable Experience!"”

Ranked #42 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Chicago, Illinois
“"Unbelievable Experience!"”
Reviewed April 21, 2011

WOW....after being home for a full day after leaving SSCC all that my fiance and I can think about is our amazing experience had at Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana. From the moment we arrived greeted with a "welcome home" to the moment we left with hugs and handshakes farewell, this place is truly special. If you want an amazing experience you should treat yourself to a vacation of fun and relaxation at SSCC.
The food was fantastic, room service was quick when we ordered at 2 pm and 3 am. Our minibar was always replenished and had a great mix of beverages. We had no problem ordering drinks and the resort had several types of top shelf liquor to choose from for every category (rum, tequila, vodka, cordials, etc.) even the house Savignon Blac was very good. Bernardo at the pool bar was AMAZING! My fiance Josh, aka Pablo, and I had a fresh drink ready when we were "on empty" and even had food delivered from the cafe to the pool when we were hungry. The entertainment staff, Willy, Usher, and Keyla, were fantastic and always made sure we were having fun. We enjoyed the entertainment provided at night and my fiance loved that they played a NBA game at night (per multiple guests requests) on the big screen on the beach that he enjoyed from our balcony. They played movies nightly.
Our room was the lowest category room but was of extreme luxury, (see pictures attached). It had a great view and was plenty large enough for us. a small issue we had was that the water from the shower came onto the floor in the main bathroom area (maybe a pitching problem) but we put a towel down and solved the concern. The Caribbean decor was perfect for the resort and I loved the incense they provided ( It can be purchased at the spa and I am burning it now as I am writing this review..tears..:-)
The restaurants were very good with minor issues with slow service in the Blue Marlin but who is in a hurry to go anywhere when you are in such a beautiful place! I did mention this to a manager as we left the restaurant and I could tell that he was concerned as well and immediately went into the restaurant. Coming from Chicago which in my opinion has fantastic restaurants I was very pleased with all of out meals from room service to the restaurants. Other guests I spoke to felt similar.
We are getting married at the resort in December and we met with Grisell (filling in for the week for Maria) who did an amazing job answering our questions and showing us all of the beautiful options available at the resort. She showed us different room options for our guests and was so accommodating to all of our inquisitions.
The grounds were gorgeous, the pools were the perfect temperature, and the beach while does have some coral, was very nice. We walked to Juanillo Beach and enjoyed FREE kayaks and the beach goes for miles.
I really don't understand how anyone could not love this place. We left feeling like we were family and I just cannot say how excited we are to share this experience with our wedding party, family, and friends this December!

2 Thank lmsulentic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,197)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We had a wonderful experience at this Secrets Resort in Cap Cana, DR. The check in process, accommodations, room service, and atmosphere of this adults only property were excellent. The staff was extremely professional and courteous at all times. The downsides of the property are few but do exist. There are some aggressive sales tactics for room upgrades and also for time-share sales disguised as "tours" of various nearby properties. The food is wonderful and there are large menus at each of the restaurant's on the property, it is not at all the typical buffet fare of some other all-inclusive properties. The staff will work hard to accommodate nearly any request. The resort is beautiful. The rooms are comfortable and spacious with modern features like plasma tv's with premium cable and ipod alarm clocks. We had a excellent experience and would consider staying at another Secrets Resort because of this experience.

Room Tip: If you can afford the upgrade, go for a beach vila
2 Thank acravanas
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Fantastic food, fun activities, awesome activity staff and bartenders, we can't wait to go back!

1 Thank krimil
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We returned yesterday from a wonderful and memorable time. I have been checking this site since December to see the reviews and make a decision. We read many good ones and some very bad ones. After being to Secrets Maroma in Mexico and then to this one in the D.R, I must say that Secrets Cap was a better experience. There were too many wonderful things that far surpassed the minor ones.
When we arrived we had a big problem with reservations. We booked through I Preferred who made a mistake. It had nothing to do with Secrets. Marco Pena and Olliver did their best to accommodate us and make everything better. DO NOT BOOK WITH
I Preferred. Use Reservations at Secrets themselves.
We stayed in a Honeymoon Suite with plunge pool on the top of the Fortress. The room was perfect. The view and the private deck were unlike any I have experienced in my travels. The room had no musty smells, no problems with the headboard, the bed was comfortable, the furniture and bathrooms were new and the furnishings were Asian inspired. There was recessed, romantic lighting, wooden beams with spotlights, and hardwood floors set in stone tiles. Gorgeous! There were no mosquitoes or bugs, only lovely birds. And there was hot water all the time. Maroma is a newer resort so the buildings are hotel like. Also, the grounds are mostly concrete pathways. It is more apartment like. You have to be in the preferred buildings to get a view of the ocean and one large one way in the back above the lobby. At Sanctuary Cap the rooms are sprawled out so that all rooms, except those in the back get a view of the ocean. The maid service was perfect and each night we had turn down. They work so hard. The only one thing about the room was that the mini fridge sometimes cooled and sometimes did not. Needs to be replaced. Forgot to tell them. Also, one wooden blind was broken, but no one from the ocean could fly up and see us so that did not matter. I always kept the curtains pulled back. It would be nice to have screen doors so that we could hear the ocean waves.
Each morning we ordered a carafe of coffee and a plate of fruit to our room. It always came and they would call to let us know it was on its way. They would say in 40 minutes but it never took that long. We did not have any room service other than that. Yes the Fortress is a little walk away, but is a so nice through lush grounds covered in flowers and cobblestone walkways. The Fortress is also Asian inspired and quiet. This place is not for partiers. It is for a relaxing, romantic and secluded retreat. The 3 pools were large and always had a lounge chairs open. I did not see one nude bather or drunk person. The people were middle aged, not youngins.
The service was good. The waiters all understood our English. We never had a problem communicating and I always asked them to repeat our order to be sure. We only drink on vacation so the wine was ok and the mixed drinks were great. Sometimes they were too strong and I asked for light. I guess if you regularly drink and know your stuff, then the house is not good enough. Understandable. They also had a variety of beers.
Every night there was a show, movies on the beach, and "secrets' to share like cigar making, or a tour of something.
Most people do not realize that this resort has access to three beaches. It has its own, then a private one beyond the monarch ocean front villas that is secluded. I even skinny dipped by moonlight there and not a soul was in sight! And to the side of the Fortress there was a public beach, not many people and we walked for miles.
The food was the only thing that was not up to par to Maroma's. It was hit and miss. They are working on it. Dinner at the Steakhouse was perfect, desserts not so. The Blue Marlin for lunch had slow service but good fish and beautiful outdoor dining in the ocean. The Italian had great service and outdoor seating, but not good food. The Wok hibachi table was the best. Did not dine outside. The breakfast at Casa Bella was good, lunches not so special. Desserts at Casa Bella for lunch were the best.
Marco Pena asked our opinions for improvement. The staff really takes feedback and applies it. They are kind, hard working people aimed to please.It was upscale, beautiful and romantic. It was a wonderful trip and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Just ask the Rooms Division Manager.
2 Thank dakrou
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We stayed 8 days and didn't want to leave. I am very picky about everything and it was great. When we arrived the latch on the sliding door wasnt working, I called they fixed it instantly. Our room had the best views and its own pool. I would do some research on rooms, they have so many types to choose from. Special thanks to Kary for helping us with that. The food was great, some restaurants were better than others but all had some great food. What we really liked is that the resort was not packed full of people. We normally are not ones to attend resort entertainment however we found ourselves enjoying it almost every night we stayed at the hotel. The staff worked so hard to make everything perfect and I am shocked some visitors do not tip. My only bad experience happened when leaving the hotel for an excursion that I planned through a separate tour operator. If you can't have a great time here you probably won't anywhere.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank jeffsuder
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My wife and I just stayed at the resort, we were so excited about everything e ven we join Unlimited vacation club! We tough that would be a regular time share presentation, but the program is so flexible that we just loved it. Luis Oberhauser, the UVC manager, was not pushy and honest, we highly recommend to join the club if you like to vacation.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank Doogieitunes
New York
Reviewed April 18, 2011

My husband and I are well travelled in the Caribbean and have always stayed at 5 star hotels. This is not a 5 star hotel. Maybe a 2 at best. Pro's: Grounds are very pretty and well kept; the Villas are beautiful; the Spa was very nice. The massages and facial were good.
The room they first gave us was in the "Fortress". If you want total isolation, and quiet, than this is for you. Otherwise forget it! It's too far from the main restaraunts, pools and beach. After complaining, we were upgraded to a very expensive villa because nothing else was available. Yeah right. The villa was beautiful, right on the water. The deck was huge. The master bath bathroom is not air-conditioned because there's an outdoor soaking tub, but they should have closed it off. Beware of crabs getting into the villa. My husband was awakened by the clicking of crab legs on the floor of our bedroom at night. The electrical outlets in the villa are faulty. At times they would work and sometimes not. The food was just okay. At the Wok, we asked for hot saki and got hot white wine!!! The Blue Marlin is good for lunch but service and qualitity of food for dinner is horrible. Breakfast is okay. The Buffet lunch is the same every day. Steakhouse just okay. Italian was horrible. Food was cold and the menu is all pasta. Room Service was good for breakfast.
Beach; what beach? Very small. In the beginning of the week there were top brand liquors. By the end of the week none to be found except at the "Love Bar" in the main building away from the pool and beach.
The staff in the restaraunts do not understand English. They just nod and are programmed to say, "How can I help you".
No nightlife. Casino was closed.

6 Thank NewYorkLuvs2travel
MarcoPena, Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion TripAdvisor. Our ultimate goal is to always to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations, so please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. We pride ourselves on providing clean, luxurious accommodations to our guests and sincerely apologize that you experienced any inconveniences during your stay.

Let's begin with your accommodations, if you reserve a Castle Junior Swim out this is what we provide to ensure that we comply with your reservation request. Our facility is only 176 guestrooms and all though small in the quantity of rooms but it is well spread out to create a romantic spots and the peace and quite that most of our guest seek. I understand that you felt that you where in a abandoned part of the resort but I can assure you that this is not the case. In the fortress we have the SPA, Wok Restaurant, Juanillo Beach, Water Sports and the best part of it all the Ocean Club Bar Terrace with an infinity pool.

Furthermore, I have shared your opinion with our Executive Chef Mr. Pascal Messier and he has been monitoring closely our restaurants and food preparation. I am somewhat surprised with the comment of the dinner menu of the Blue Marlin as it is new and lobster is also included. Nevertheless he shall continue to monitor this closely as it is our goal to completely meet or exceed guest expectations.

Once again we thank you for sharing your opinion as this is a great tool for us to improve upon. We hope that in the future we are allowed the opportunity to host you as a guest at our resort.

Marco Pena
#11 of 110 in Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 110 in Punta Cana

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!